PDA

View Full Version : My first animation

TwinMill
03-18-2013, 06:41 PM
Hey guys. I am super new to Flash and have never had any experience in animating at all. I was inspired by the creations of Hyun, Terkoiz and Oxob and hope to be as good as them some day (lol, impossibruh). This is my first animation of a walk and a bit of a jump.

http://www.fileize.com/view/275229cf-a65/

Things I like:

The start of my walk
Some of the arm and leg movements
The start of the leap

Things I don't like/need to improve:

The jerkiness of it (probably because I didn't do enough frames to make it smooth, it is only 85 frames at 30 fps)
The movements in the air
Most of the arm movements and some of the leg movements (More practice)

Please, Please, Please critique and give some feedback on how I can improve as it is the only way to get better. I will post some more things in the future as I practice everyday. Thanks all :D <3 :3

Cruel
03-19-2013, 05:28 AM
I can tell you are new. Lol well you need to work on just about everything about it, but im surprised you started with 30 fps. If you can master 30 fps you can make some smooth shit in the future. Now here are the key things you need to work on.

1) foot placement, his feet are all over the place
2)wobbly factor, his limbs shake as he walks
3)stiffness, he looks like he has a metal rod shoved up his ass
4)choppiness, it was inconsistent.

You will only get better with practice, so keep trying and you will get better :)

JeehoonDevil
03-19-2013, 05:40 AM
Finally someone that actually posted their first animation rather than their 8th or 9th and calling it their first.
Other than the things already mentioned, the action prior to the leap needs more anticipation. Bend his back a little, crouch those legs, and try double framing at that spot as well (trust me, it makes a big difference).
And he slowed down wayy to much before landing, which of course is not physically possible hence making it unrealistic.

But I don't think it's really fair to critique on anyone's first animation because they've literally just started. But keep practicing man and you'll surely get better :)

TwinMill
03-19-2013, 04:15 PM
Thanks guys. I'll take what you have said and apply it to the next animation I try :D
<3

Edit: What is double framing? I've done some research on it but can't quite grasp the concept of it

Xyper
03-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Dont freaking animate at 30fps for your first! What the hell?
Animate at 12 fps till you learn how to create realistic movement.
I would recommend finding "the animator's survival kit" it's a book that will help you a lot, just google it there are free e-book version of it available.
The walk was really good for a first. The leap looked bad because first of all he didnt bend his legs to get ready for the jump (thats called anticipation) and after the leap he just kinda appeared in a normal position which is super unrealistic and weird looking, what you should have done at the end is make him sort of stumble or at least bend the knees a bit so that he can recover realistically (which is called easing)
Anticipation happens before movements and gets the character ready and gives the viewer time to see the movement and understand it, easing then follows the movement and creates nice flow into the next anticipation for the next movement.
Or at least thats my understanding of animation. Get that book!
Oh and dont just keep the head on one like that, when he bends his height should change and therefore the head should come lower.

Sonicmanqaz
03-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Dont freaking animate at 30fps for your first! What the hell?
Animate at 12 fps till you learn how to create realistic movement.
I would recommend finding "the animator's survival kit" it's a book that will help you a lot, just google it there are free e-book version of it available.
The walk was really good for a first. The leap looked bad because first of all he didnt bend his legs to get ready for the jump (thats called anticipation) and after the leap he just kinda appeared in a normal position which is super unrealistic and weird looking, what you should have done at the end is make him sort of stumble or at least bend the knees a bit so that he can recover realistically (which is called easing)
Anticipation happens before movements and gets the character ready and gives the viewer time to see the movement and understand it, easing then follows the movement and creates nice flow into the next anticipation for the next movement.
Or at least thats my understanding of animation. Get that book!
Oh and dont just keep the head on one like that, when he bends his height should change and therefore the head should come lower.

Honestly, it doesn't matter at what FPS he starts at. I started at 19 (lol idk why) and that wasn't too bad. But I could be wrong, this is just my personal opinion.

Xyper
03-20-2013, 08:17 AM
Honestly, it doesn't matter at what FPS he starts at. I started at 19 (lol idk why) and that wasn't too bad. But I could be wrong, this is just my personal opinion.
It matters.
In the begining you want to learn how to make movements realistic and how to better explain them, so you should be focusing on less frames because its easier that way. 30 fps is freaking crazy unless you triple frame or something, in which case you might as well just lower the fps and do it single frame.
Sure lower frame rates look choppier, but going above 24 is just over kill.

nyneicon
03-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Actually I think it just depends on the style your going for since all animators have a choice in what FPS to use might as well let them feel comfortable with the FPS they want to start at. The FPS you decide to use is kinda based on your lifestyle, like if your a patient person 12-18 FPS might be right for you as apposed to having to stick to a specific frame rate. All in all if you want to start with 30 have fun ans as for the animation, its a pretty good start and there's nothing more to say that already hasn't been said. Practice Makes Perfect bro.

Damian
03-22-2013, 09:15 PM
To answer the OP's question double framing is having two consecutive frames that are exactly alike to slow that movement down and/or make it last longer. In this tutorial Hyun explains more. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSGqsH01gKY&list=PL94164AE5777D03B8 Here is a great jumping tutorial also by Hyun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Q_ZiHhElY&list=PL94164AE5777D03B8 Your construction is fine. Though, his arms look like bent sticks swinging around. Practice will fix that. You sure are off to a pretty good start. Perhaps, we might even have a future RHG Champion here. Oh, and Cnc means comments and criticism(constructive). *winks*

TwinMill
03-23-2013, 10:57 PM
Thanks alot dude. I havent been posting much because of assignments. But now that I'm done for the semester I can do some more anims <3

Damian
03-24-2013, 04:34 PM
Thanks a lot dude. I haven't been posting much because of assignments. But now that I'm done for the semester I can do some more anims. <3

Always remember to go to the "Introduce Yourself" section and do so if you haven't already. You're Welcome, if that was even for me at all.

P.s.: Use "reply with quote" so other people know who you're talking to, unless you're talking to multiple people, of course.