PDA

View Full Version : Combinatory Black Magic

jli
03-25-2013, 10:55 AM
A good strategy usually involves a combination of units. If you mass on type of unit, you've pretty much secured a loss (well, unless you're massing speartons. then you might do okay for a bit.). But, the issue with this is that it is often difficult to find a good combo that creates a solid army (i.e. albows + archers = not a good combination).

Here is the process that I use, based on hard counters:
1) Take your favorite unit (let's call it A). Start off with A massing.
2) What is A's hard counter? Let's call that unit B.
3) What is B's hard counter? Let's call that unit C.
4) BOOM, you've just created a solid combination. A + C = good combo.
5) Are there any hard counters for C that A doesn't take care of? If so, call this counter D.
6) What is D's hard counter? Let's call that unit E.
7) Repeat the process until there are no more hard counters, or the risk of a hard counter succeeding is negligible.

For example, with A = swords (A' = abbreviation for "the hard counter of A")
1) Sword massing (woot)
2) B = A' = mage
3) C = B' = ninja
4) A + C = swords + ninjas
5) D = C' = albow
6) E = D' = archer
7) A + C + E = swords + ninjas + archers
^ and there's your combo.

Or, with A = speartons:
1) Spearton massing
2) B = A' = swords with rage
3) C = B' = mage
4) A + C = speartons + magikill
5) D = C' = ninja
6) E = D' = albow
7) A + C + E = speartons + magikill + albows
^ and there's your combo, again.

KrayZStick
03-25-2013, 11:02 AM
This.....is confusing. I can see you put a lot of time into it, but try, Idk, putting more spaces? lol. It's too early in the morning to do math. Or algebra. Or anything...

jli
03-25-2013, 11:04 AM
This.....is confusing. I can see you put a lot of time into it, but try, Idk, putting more spaces? lol. It's too early in the morning to do math. Or algebra. Or anything...

lol I understand. You should see my idea documents that actually involve math...

Anyway, I'll edit it so it can be understood by humans and such.

EDIT: Dammit, how do you make spoilers...

KrayZStick
03-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Enter this code: Remove the "*"
I put random shit here [/spoiler*]
[spoiler=This is a spoiler] I put random shit here

merich1
03-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Cool, very logical. This is going to come in handy.

jli
03-25-2013, 02:01 PM
KrayZ, if you want this explained in "math" terms, here you go:

let A' represent the hard counter of A.
It follows that a combination A + B can be called "solid" if B = A''.

Cool, very logical. This is going to come in handy.

Yep, the idea is that you can come up with your own macro plans right on the spot rather than having to have them memorized before going ingame.

_Ai_
03-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Handy. So, I already got my setting right. Albas, speartons. No hard counter for these guys.

jli
03-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Handy. So, I already got my setting right. Albas, speartons. No hard counter for these guys.

Kind of true, actually. It's a pretty good combo.

FailingAtFailing
03-25-2013, 02:39 PM
I see how this works, but some combos may not be as effective, swords, ninjas and archers is gonna need alot of micro. Also, a smart magikill would poison the swords and archers before dying, basically killing those, then you are left with only ninjas. Sword mass would kill your remaining ninjas.

jli
03-25-2013, 02:40 PM
I see how this works, but some combos may not be as effective, swords, ninjas and archers is gonna need alot of micro. Also, a smart magikill would poison the swords and archers before dying, basically killing those, then you are left with only ninjas. Sword mass would kill your remaining ninjas.

A smart ninja would scout first, too. It depends. I agree that some combos are a little to micro-heavy, but the general idea still works.

_Ai_
03-25-2013, 02:44 PM
A smart ninja would scout first, too. It depends. I agree that some combos are a little to micro-heavy, but the general idea still works.

Or replace the hard counter with other hard counters.

ShadowyWhisper
03-25-2013, 03:13 PM
A good strategy usually involves a combination of units. If you mass on type of unit, you've pretty much secured a loss (well, unless you're massing speartons. then you might do okay for a bit.). But, the issue with this is that it is often difficult to find a good combo that creates a solid army (i.e. albows + archers = not a good combination).

Here is the process that I use, based on hard counters:
1) Take your favorite unit (let's call it A). Start off with A massing.
2) What is A's hard counter? Let's call that unit B.
3) What is B's hard counter? Let's call that unit C.
4) BOOM, you've just created a solid combination. A + C = good combo.
5) Are there any hard counters for C that A doesn't take care of? If so, call this counter D.
6) What is D's hard counter? Let's call that unit E.
7) Repeat the process until there are no more hard counters, or the risk of a hard counter succeeding is negligible.

For example, with A = swords (A' = abbreviation for "the hard counter of A")
1) Sword massing (woot)
2) B = A' = mage
3) C = B' = ninja
4) A + C = swords + ninjas
5) D = C' = albow
6) E = D' = archer
7) A + C + E = swords + ninjas + archers
^ and there's your combo.

Or, with A = speartons:
1) Spearton massing
2) B = A' = swords with rage
3) C = B' = mage
4) A + C = speartons + magikill
5) D = C' = ninja
6) E = D' = albow
7) A + C + E = speartons + magikill + albows
^ and there's your combo, again.

It works, I suppose. But consider the point that there are going to be counters for even these combinations. This game involves a lot of Micro, while you have Speartons with Swords with Speartons as tanks, it would beat...

Let's say you have 3 Spearton and 9 SwordWrath. That would beat 15 SwordWrath. You can't assume that 1 unit will no regardless.

As for Math, turn those in x, a, b, k, n, y, z, k, etc. K is for constant so... Well, never mind, it's been too long to review Algebra.

jli
03-25-2013, 04:16 PM
It works, I suppose. But consider the point that there are going to be counters for even these combinations. This game involves a lot of Micro, while you have Speartons with Swords with Speartons as tanks, it would beat...

Let's say you have 3 Spearton and 9 SwordWrath. That would beat 15 SwordWrath. You can't assume that 1 unit will no regardless.

As for Math, turn those in x, a, b, k, n, y, z, k, etc. K is for constant so... Well, never mind, it's been too long to review Algebra.

Ah, I miss reading Shadowy-sass. But anyway, you are correct. This is a very general and coarse way to develop a plan, the best way is to think a little more abstractly. But, this works for people who need a combo, and fast.

ShadowyWhisper
03-25-2013, 04:35 PM
:eek: Wrong grammar. Ah, I'm to lazy to fix that. Anyways, I guess it works for lower levels and VERY basic strategy crafting. I don't think any of us here want to (or will) go to West Point. I'm not a tactician.

jli
03-25-2013, 04:38 PM
:eek: Wrong grammar. Ah, I'm to lazy to fix that. Anyways, I guess it works for lower levels and VERY basic strategy crafting. I don't think any of us here want to (or will) go to West Point. I'm not a strategist.

It works for higher levels as well if you pick a good combo. Also, I fixed it for you.

ShadowyWhisper
03-25-2013, 05:12 PM
Tactician is a word too... although it's more fixed on certain... you know what? Never mind.