PDA

View Full Version : Turtle Strategy

_Ai_
03-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Well, most of you know my tendency to turtle, right? So here's a guide to anyone interested to using this (Doubt it though). And yes, there are flaws to this strategy, but cover it up your way. Extremely ineffective against Chaos. This is also good until 1700+. After that, its half unusable. And this strategy takes a long time, so on average its going to be a 7-10 min battle. Or more, if your opponent is good.

First part of the game
Small maps :
Ugh, small maps. Hate them. Anyway, start with one miner, one castle archer. Put all 3 miners on gold. Castle archer should render anything useless. Get more miners. Depending on yourself, you could get a miner wall, or not. Also depends on your opponent. If you think he's saving for a ghost, research wall, and get it up ASAP. Its reccomended for the miner wall to be outside the 2nd row of gold. If you can get it there. The 1.59 patch is an ass. Done? You finished the first part of your turtling strategy.

Long maps :
We are so gonna kick ass here. 2 miners as a start, all on gold. The first income give you 150, so you have 300 to make a castle archer (Actually, do it if you feel like he's gonna rush you. It'll be a waste of money otherwise.). Do it. Research miner wall when you feel like he's going for ghost. More miners. After 8 on gold, the next miner goes pray. Make miner wall if you already researched it, just in front of the 2nd row of gold, safe for miners, and in range for castle archer. about 4 more miners on gold, and 2 last miners go for praying. There, miners part finished.

So, by the end of the first part, you should have 12-14 on gold, 3 on mana.

Middle part of the game
Even if its short or long, it will reach here anyway. So, get an alba first. Also a spearton, once you get enough gold. If your opponent decide to get a ghost, it will arrive quite about now. Let the albatross, have a few shots, then continue to the center. Castle archer should kill him. Keep in mind that you should always make albas and spears now. Also, the second alba and spear are very important.

The enemy is on the center!
Well, what kind of army he has?

Some swords.
Alba'll take care of them. Dont bring the spearton yet though. He'll just rage the spear until its dead. Let the alba kill them all, or let them retreat. Then bring in the spearton. While the alba is pwning, keep making more spears and albas.

Swords and archers!
Let the alba pwn a few swords, then retreat it. Replace with your new alba. Or let it hide behind your new one. Now, bring both of your spearton to the fray. Pwn the swords, and archer(s)

Spearton.
Same as swords. But bring in spearton.

Spearton and archers?
Same as swords and archers. Bring that spearton early, though.

Albatross.
Wait for your other alba. Attack it. Now the new alba strikes it. Combine with the old, injured alba. Kill.

Now, either they retreat, or have their army killed, take the center.

Yeah, final part!
Now, you can have your own army. Free choice.

This replay is a one I lost, due to laptop mouse, made me unable to move the spearton freely, also unable to micro that albas. But it was a good one, against a rusty Azxc.
www.stickempires.com/play?replay=replay911544&version=1.59

isgood
03-25-2013, 11:13 AM
It works for 1700+ if our fattypig

_Ai_
03-25-2013, 11:51 AM
It works for 1700+ if our fattypig

I feel like I'm the second to Fattysomething (He has lots). But I doubt it.

ShadowyWhisper
03-25-2013, 02:14 PM
Aiman, I watched your replays, and on the long maps you go early Giant. I'm serious. Why!!!

_Ai_
03-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Aiman, I watched your replays, and on the long maps you go early Giant. I'm serious. Why!!!

Lies. And here I was just starting to like you. I made a wrong choice.

ShadowyWhisper
03-25-2013, 03:36 PM
I know you're a boy, Aiman. As for that, I did see a replay and you spammed 17 Miners then went Early Giant, and somehow won...

isgood
03-25-2013, 06:05 PM

ummm is there something wrong with early giant?

ShadowyWhisper
03-25-2013, 06:07 PM
Yes, the opponent could have easily gotten 4 Spearton and some Archidon by then, with the Giant Upgrade and all.

Unless you were being sarcastic. And I'm not joking, you sound like you are. (just in case)

jli
03-25-2013, 06:08 PM
ummm is there something wrong with early giant?

Yeah, a lot, usually.

1) Can be easily taken down by a mob of pretty much any unit
2) Slow
3) No support units

isgood
03-25-2013, 06:11 PM
well early giant is good if your turtling for a giant mass. NEVER underestimate giant massing.

ShadowyWhisper
03-25-2013, 06:35 PM
I underestimate it all the time, because I expect to lose, but I actually win.

Hope you can figure out what that means.

jli
03-25-2013, 07:17 PM
well early giant is good if your turtling for a giant mass. NEVER underestimate giant massing.

Not if they have a mob of speartons...

ShadowyWhisper
03-25-2013, 07:19 PM
No, that would lose.

jli
03-25-2013, 07:26 PM
Wanna test it? 1 giant vs. 5-6 speartons.

ShadowyWhisper
03-25-2013, 08:05 PM
No. The pop equivalent. 1 Giant vs 2 Spearton.

jli
03-25-2013, 08:07 PM
No. The pop equivalent. 1 Giant vs 2 Spearton.

...Why would you only have 2 speartons by the time your opponent has an early giant? Test realistic game situations, not just popcount.

ShadowyWhisper
03-25-2013, 08:09 PM
But if you're going Spearton mass over Giant Mass, then you're testing 26 Spearton vs 11 Giants.

_Ai_
03-26-2013, 12:47 AM
Shadowy, you fucked up this whole thread. I don't mass giants, just on certain times. And those times, I lost. This was supposed to be a guide on how to turtle, and alba and speartons are vital to this. After that, you can use your own build.

Bladed Fire
03-26-2013, 02:52 AM
I easily take Aiman down with early units. XD Won 3 streaks without losing.

_Ai_
03-26-2013, 03:10 AM
(/' ')/ TT

Flipping table...mini version. But yeah, you improved a lot.

stickman311
03-26-2013, 06:03 AM

Try 20 swords with rage and 10 archers + tower spawn 1 vs 3 giants

_Ai_
03-26-2013, 06:45 AM
Try 20 swords with rage and 10 archers + tower spawn 1 vs 3 giants

You are not making any sense

malbence
03-26-2013, 02:52 PM
hahaha. Flipping ... block of wood?

blu3blitz
03-26-2013, 08:36 PM
Early giant is only intimidating, if your a good player you should have a defence ready by the time he gets a giant

stickman311
03-27-2013, 02:43 AM
umm, i'm 20 elo and when he has a giant i would have pwned him already

Narsheh
04-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Hold on, there's a big flaw in this.

If I put my wall on the 2nd row of gold, the enemy's archer is sure to destroy it in safety. Isn't that a waste?

ShadowGeneralChaos
04-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Hold on, there's a big flaw in this.

If I put my wall on the 2nd row of gold, the enemy's archer is sure to destroy it in safety. Isn't that a waste?

Then just dont put the miner wall on the 2nd row of gold...

DragonFrost
04-04-2013, 03:16 PM
But then he shoots your miners on the second row xD

_Ai_
04-05-2013, 01:05 AM
When you put that miner wall up, he should just be having the archer just then. And the miner wall could hold off the archer long enough for you (or me) to make an alba + spearton.

A good replay, showing you a good turtle, is added to the OP. And that was me using laptop mouse.

Usman
04-05-2013, 11:22 AM
See, if he attacks 2 row of gold till the time u dont get alba, just get it or get one archer atleast then put the archer just in the middle of wall or a little bit forward, be sure to get a meric and he wont be able to attack ur wall or hurt ur archer, isnt it right, if u cant get one archer till that time, so ur a big noob just making swords and speartons or whatever , collecting gold..

DragonFrost
04-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Simple: build a wall ahead of second row of gold. Then buy a spearton + spearton wall and then get a bunch of Merics. See where I'm going here?

ShadowGeneralChaos
04-06-2013, 07:20 AM
Ok, what shall I say...

Invincitron
04-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Hi reader,

Turtling is one of the WORST strategies ever...

.:Invincitron:.

jli
04-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Hi reader,

Turtling is one of the WORST strategies ever...

True, it's very frustrating and annoying to beat a good turtler.

However, you can't say that it's not successful.

merich1
04-09-2013, 06:28 PM
True, it's very frustrating and annoying to beat a good turtler.

However, you can't say that it's not successful.

LOL!

This guide helps immensely, as I love to turtle but I suck at turtling.

Invincitron
04-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Hi reader (Especially merich1),

I suggest being on Offense so that your enemy can't pressure you.

_Ai_
04-10-2013, 12:26 AM
Its only pressuring if you cant execute it well.

I cant take criticsm well. Sorreh.

ShadowGeneralChaos
04-11-2013, 09:33 AM
is turtling really good?

_Ai_
04-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Try it; everyone have different opinions.

Usman
04-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Tried once, aimans one, the speartons and albas, one got succesfull against a chaos player, 1800 rating +, I also did turtuling and made ninjas, bunch of them which i rished and won from an order player, u can never say its not succesfull, if u execute it right u are really the winner, try IT!

_Ai_
04-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Wait...worked to a 1800+ Chaos? Lol, maybe you made it better than me. Replay?

THEFORCE
04-12-2013, 01:15 AM
I kinda hate turtling. Cause when I get the middle. My opponent instantly gets a miner wall and castle archer with some ranged units for any archer or alba standing behind the tower spawn. Then he gets giants. I can't really do anything against someone who knows how to turtle. Cause he secures his base well and makes me wait til' he got like 3-4 giants which my army can't defeat.When I turtle, my opponent knows what to do. Tower spawn and some units behind it. What I do doesn't work at all. Castle archers, speartons and merics. And I can't stand against him as he has giants that do damage to my speartons faster than my merics can heal.

It maybe for that when I lose the battle for the middle. I don't instantly turtle. I just try to push forward again The only reason I turtle is to survive til' the last moment. See if I can do it and then push forward.

Turtle is a great strategy if you master it. Like fatty. Who knows how to defend well.

jli
04-12-2013, 06:47 AM
I kinda hate turtling. Cause when I get the middle. My opponent instantly gets a miner wall and castle archer with some ranged units for any archer or alba standing behind the tower spawn. Then he gets giants. I can't really do anything against someone who knows how to turtle. Cause he secures his base well and makes me wait til' he got like 3-4 giants which my army can't defeat.When I turtle, my opponent knows what to do. Tower spawn and some units behind it. What I do doesn't work at all. Castle archers, speartons and merics. And I can't stand against him as he has giants that do damage to my speartons faster than my merics can heal.

It maybe for that when I lose the battle for the middle. I don't instantly turtle. I just try to push forward again The only reason I turtle is to survive til' the last moment. See if I can do it and then push forward.

Turtle is a great strategy if you master it. Like fatty. Who knows how to defend well.

I occasionally have the same problems if I come across a good turtler. When you realize that your opponent is turtling, you have to move fast. Tech up to spears to tank that castle archer damage and rush them over and over with small squadrons, cycling them out between the garrison and the battlefield. Apply constant pressure (ninjas are great for this as well).

DragonFrost
04-12-2013, 08:59 PM
Strange. I now have started using turtle against chaos. WORKS LIKE A BOSS! Till the game froze and I had to go :/

ShadowGeneralChaos
04-13-2013, 02:27 AM
I occasionally have the same problems if I come across a good turtler. When you realize that your opponent is turtling, you have to move fast. Tech up to spears to tank that castle archer damage and rush them over and over with small squadrons, cycling them out between the garrison and the battlefield. Apply constant pressure (ninjas are great for this as well).

mmhh... but its better to use giants to counter albas. If you only use speartons, he can make albas to get the middle. or use shield wall and get archer.

_Ai_
04-13-2013, 02:30 AM
Why can you guys do it better than me? T T

Also, to the guys who said turtling sucks; pwned.

YQ2012
04-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Swords will kill it...

THEFORCE
04-13-2013, 02:28 PM
Swords will kill it...

They won't if it's behind a wall.

Narsheh
04-14-2013, 11:53 PM
I have a different style of turtling, but this is still a good strategy.

I first send out a Swordwrath in the beginning of the match as a distraction. I'll leave him to die, so that way my opponents can be distracted (just in case they rush too soon). This will give me time to buy all the miners I need.

Once I have a decent economy, I buy and build a wall first. Then I buy the castle archer second when he actually attacks. See how effective I put everything into use? :o

My idea would be different on short maps though.

Xave14
04-17-2013, 10:15 AM
thanks aiman for this thread I tried your technique and made it my oown and found im prtty gud at turtling

ShadowGeneralChaos
04-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Ok, well, when we are by turtling, how do you counter?

THEFORCE
04-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Ok, well, when we are by turtling, how do you counter?

If you know how to turtle. Then you could probably know how to counter it.

ShadowGeneralChaos
04-18-2013, 09:34 AM
If you know how to turtle. Then you could probably know how to counter it.

... (very helpfull)

THEFORCE
04-18-2013, 11:27 AM
... (very helpfull)

You're welcome :P

BuddyLucky2
04-22-2013, 11:38 AM
What About if someone...
SPEARTON RUSH
SPEARTON RUSH
SPEARTON RUSH
SPEARTON RUSH
SPEARTON RUSH
SPEARTON RUSH MOTHA F*CKER LOL JK

_Ai_
04-22-2013, 11:41 AM
What About if someone...
SPEARTON RUSH
SPEARTON RUSH
SPEARTON RUSH
SPEARTON RUSH
SPEARTON RUSH MOTHA F*CKER LOL JK

Nothing much. We'll have better army and eco. Get wall and castle archers and reselience. Kill all his rushing spears. Let him rebuild. Repeat until he surrender. XD

BuddyLucky2
04-22-2013, 11:41 AM
ok lol
BUT WHAT IF THE RUSHER IS SMART AND USES IT ONLY ON SHORT MAPS o_O?

_Ai_
04-22-2013, 11:51 AM
ok lol
BUT WHAT IF THE RUSHER IS SMART AND USES IT ONLY ON SHORT MAPS o_O?

Than we should surrender ourselves. jk keep swords at base with rage.

ShadowGeneralChaos
04-25-2013, 09:08 AM
the thing is the population.

1. You can only have a population of 80!!!
2. Albowtross have a population of 4
3. miners have 2 populations

THEFORCE
04-25-2013, 11:11 AM

Do you want a pop of 100? Plus what's the problem with alba pop?

_Ai_
04-26-2013, 02:53 AM

Send them on a suicide mission. While getting kills with Albas.

isgood
04-26-2013, 04:10 PM
i've learned how fatty turtles... and he turtles A LOT differently

THEFORCE
04-26-2013, 04:14 PM
i've learned how fatty turtles... and he turtles A LOT differently

How so?

ShadowGeneralChaos
04-27-2013, 03:11 AM
Send them on a suicide mission. While getting kills with Albas.

... sacrificing my miners... oh man... pour miners

ShadowGeneralChaos
04-27-2013, 03:46 AM
oh and, why does it call TURTLE STRATEGY?

_Ai_
04-27-2013, 03:48 AM
oh and, why does it call TURTLE STRATEGY?

Because you say at your base while mining. And its quite safe from harm. Like a turtle in its shell.

ShadowGeneralChaos
04-27-2013, 05:21 AM
Because you say at your base while mining. And its quite safe from harm. Like a turtle in its shell.

not bad...