PDA

View Full Version : Free Preloader - ep_particleflow

darkcampainger
06-14-2008, 10:07 PM
If no one minds, I'm going to make a list of my free preloaders here. I'll make a new reply whenever I release a new one, and add it here.

Anywho, I was bored and made a quick preloader. Then I made another. Now I'm planning on making several more. Feel free to use them if you don't want to make your own. Just copy the only symbol on stage and paste it into the first frame of your game or movie, it'll take care of the rest.

ep_particleflow

Description:

In this preloader, as the user downloads, a stream of particles passes across the screen. The faster they download, the faster the stream moves. Each particle represents a certain percentage of the file, so it's a cool, visual way to watch the movie/game/whatever download. In the top-left corner, the amount downloaded is displayed in 's. In the top-right corner, the current download speed is displayed in bytes/frame.

Download:

ep_particleflow.fla (36kb) (http://www.zombiecannon.com/foo/ep_particleflow.fla)

Example(s):

preview_ep_particleflow.html (9kb) (http://www.zombiecannon.com/foo/preview_ep_particleflow.html)

Notes:

Enjoy. No credit needed. Inspired by GMod10.

Specifications:

Suggested Minimum Size: 400x400 px
Suggested Background Color: Black (#000000)
ActionScript: AS2
Minimum Flash Version: Flash 8

Customization

_root.ep_totalcount: Number, Integer
The total number of particles that will pass through the screen. This also determines what percent of the file download each particle represents. Default is 100.

_root.ep_maxscreen: Number, Integer
Maximum number of particles allowed to be on the screen at once. This determines particle chain density and speed. Default is 20.

_root.ep_maxspawn: Number, Integer
Maximum number of particles that can be spawned each frame. In the event that a large percent of the file is downloaded where more than one particle would be spawned, you can force them to spread out. Default is 1.

_root.ep_range: Number
Range of y-values the particles will be spawned at, like spread. Defaults to 15% of the screen height.

_root.ep_y: Number
Y-value to begin spawning the particles at. Actual y-value of each particle is also determined by ep_range. Default is center of screen.

ep_consoleoutput

Description:

This one models a console/command-line-ish interface. It monitors download progress and download speed (kb/s) and asks the player to press the any key once complete to continue.

Download:

ep_consoleoutput.fla (62kb) (http://www.zombiecannon.com/foo/ep_consoleoutput.fla)

Example(s):

preview_ep_consoleoutput.html (9kb) (http://www.zombiecannon.com/foo/preview_ep_consoleoutput.html)
preview_ep_consoleoutput_retro.html (9kb) (http://www.zombiecannon.com/foo/preview_ep_consoleoutput_retro.html)

Notes:

Enjoy. No credit needed. It should be noted that a font is embedded into this preloader. If it fails to correctly copy over, please contact me.

Optional Glow:
If you have CS3, this preloader looks even better with a soft glow behind the text. Select the preloader and go to its Filters tab. Add a glow, set Blur X and Y to 3, Strength to 80%, Quality to Low, and set the color (a bright version of the text color looks good. So if the text is green (#00CC00), set the glow to bright green (#00FF00))

Specifications:

Suggested Minimum Size: 350x200 px

Customization

_root.ep_color: Color in hex (0xRRGGBB)
Sets the color of the text. Make sure to use proper format! 0x000000 will set it to black, 0xFFFFFF will set it to white, 0xFF0000 is red, 0xFFAA00 is orange, 0x101080 is deep blue, ect. Default is 0x000000 (Black).

_root.ep_displayspeed: Number, Integer
Number of characters to display each frame. Default is 2.

Enjoy. I'm gonna start making minigame preloaders now, I think. Also, if you want an Actionscript-based preloader made, PM me. If you can do the artwork, I'll do the scripting under the condition that it can be released publicly like these.

_slanted_
06-14-2008, 10:58 PM
thx dude thats an awesome preloader I'm almost sure I'm gonna use this

Lixu
06-15-2008, 02:13 AM
easy indeed, but nice idea

darkcampainger
06-15-2008, 11:02 AM
easy indeed, but nice idea

I'm going to assume that's sarcasm :P

What isn't easy about it? You just copy and paste the symbol. It even uses stop(); for you, so you don't have to use any actionscript. On second thought, it could use a play button, I might add that later.

If you're referring to the customization variables, they're completely optional. The default values work well (as seen in the example).

Lixu
06-15-2008, 11:44 AM
No its nice, really

Drifts
06-15-2008, 01:47 PM
That looks increadible, it must have taken you a while to do that

NCz
06-15-2008, 02:07 PM
I'm actually studying a bit of AS, so i hope you wouldn't mind if I take the code apart to figure out how it works. The particle flow is great.

darkcampainger
06-15-2008, 02:51 PM
No its nice, really

Thanks. They're kind of fun to make, since they're so quick.

That looks increadible, it must have taken you a while to do that

Longer than I would have liked, now I just hope it works as planned for everyone.

I'm actually studying a bit of AS, so i hope you wouldn't mind if I take the code apart to figure out how it works. The particle flow is great.

Not at all. The more it can help, the better! If you have any questions, feel free to ask them.

guitarhero1236
06-15-2008, 02:56 PM
cool! id use if i wasnt so thick i still dont know how to use preloaders.

darkcampainger
06-17-2008, 04:24 PM
I made another. This one models a console/command-line-ish interface.

http://www.zombiecannon.com/foo/ep_consoleoutput.fla

Here's two examples:
Normal - http://www.zombiecannon.com/foo/preview_ep_consoleoutput.html
Retro - http://www.zombiecannon.com/foo/preview_ep_consoleoutput_retro.html

ep_consoleoutput Specifications
Suggested Minimum Size: 350x200 px

ep_consoleoutput Customization
_root.ep_color: Color in hex (0xRRGGBB)
Sets the color of the text. Make sure to use proper format! 0x000000 will set it to black, 0xFFFFFF will set it to white, 0xFF0000 is red, 0xFFAA00 is orange, 0x101080 is deep blue, ect. Default is 0x000000 (Black).

_root.ep_displayspeed: Number, Integer
Number of characters to display each frame. Default is 2.

Enjoy. I'm gonna start making minigame preloaders now, I think. Also, if you want an Actionscript-based preloader made, PM me. If you can do the artwork, I'll do the scripting under the condition that it can be released publicly like these.

killeq
06-17-2008, 04:31 PM
To be honest, I hate it. It fills a too big part of the screen, and the number weren't very senseful.

The newer 2 ones are awesome, though. Simple, with a nice twist. Especially the retro one. Btw, the stripe moved just like in windows =D | / - \ | / - \

darkcampainger
06-17-2008, 04:41 PM
To be honest, I hate it. It fills a too big part of the screen, and the number weren't very senseful.

The newer 2 ones are awesome, though. Simple, with a nice twist. Especially the retro one. Btw, the stripe moved just like in windows =D | / - \ | / - \

Yea, I felt the first one was a bit too flashy after I made it, so I went for something simple this time.

As for the numbers, the one top-left was a permille count (like percent, but up to 1000). The one top-right is the download speed in bytes/frame (which didn't seem really useful so I spent some time converting it to kb/s in the new one)

I'm glad you liked the stripe :P

Tronika
06-17-2008, 09:57 PM
wow man i luv the lastone you did is pretty awesomeeeee

ty rlly much

:Happy:

Lixu
06-19-2008, 02:41 AM
Haha, I enjoyed the second one. It is like a mission preloader. I should remind myself of that.

Prince of PIMPs
06-19-2008, 08:59 AM
I've been trying to make preloaders myself, in fact i have a nice one, but I just gotta put it together