PDA

View Full Version : Turtling: The merich1 Way

merich1
06-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Okay, I based this strategy heavily off of Aiman's original Turtle Strategy (http://forums.stickpage.com/showthread.php?54825-Turtle-Strategy). So why am I posting this? Because in my opinion, I have improvements. I'm not even that good, because I'm 1500s. However this strategy should work in 1600-1700s range, as I lose most of my games because of poor micro on my part. If you're above that level, just give me tips on how to improve my strategy (but don't say "don't turtle").

So here we are:

THE BEGINNING

SMALL MAPS (Castle, Swamp, Halloween, Desert, Forest)
Start with 1 Sword, 1 Archer. I realize this is not actually a good start on Swamp, Halloween, Desert, or Forest. However if you don't like it use 1 Sword 2 Miners and proceed to Continuation.

Line your Sword and Archer up, then attack. Meanwhile set your first two Miners on gold, and from the first income, get a third Miner. Set that Miner to gold too.

So now we have a Sword and Archer attacking. It doesn't matter what you meet - attack it. If your opponent has Swords and attacks your Archer, kite the Swords while letting your Sword attack on its own. If he had 2 Swords and killed your Sword, kite the Swords back to your base. If you managed to kill his army or make him garrison, keep attacking while keeping your Archidon at the second row of gold - where you can easily escape if he gets a Castle Archer. And finally, if he got a Castle Archer, just set up your Sword and Archer at the middle. Run for it if anything high tier comes in; if he attacks with Swords, kite, and if he attacks with Swords and Archers, just sacrifice them.

NOTE: if he started Sword + Archer too, try to at least fight him to a draw (all units die). If you win proceed. If you draw proceed to Continuation. If you lose garrison your Archer and then try again. It's okay if you lose your Archer - just try to kill his Archer in the process.

You now either have your Sword + Archer ready to be sacrificed at the middle or have them dead. Either way you may proceed to Continuation.

LONG MAPS (Gates, Ice Lands, and Grass Hills)
Buy 2 Miners. Set all of your Miners to gold. Proceed to Continuation.

CONTINUATION
The first thing you should do now is get a Castle Archer. This will secure your defense. You may now build your economy.

Buy nothing but Miners until you have 6 Miners, all on gold. Now buy another Miner and set him to pray. Get a Spearton as fast as you can, in case he tries to begin to harass your economy with Speartons. Now continue to build Miners until you have 8 on gold. Buy 3 more Miners and set these 3 to pray. After that, buy Miner Hustle, an Albowtross, Blazing Bolts, a Magikill, Poison Spray, and Electric Wall, in that order. If you're afraid of being harassed by Shadowraths, you can build Miner Walls if you want. You may now proceed to midgame.

To recap, you have:

12 Miners (8 on gold, 4 on mana)
Miner Hustle
A Castle Archer
A Miner Wall (optional)
A Spearton
An Albowtross (with Blazing Bolts)
A Magikill (with all spells)

MIDGAME
Now buy an Albow, followed by a Spearton, followed by an Albow, followed by a Spearton, followed by... you get the point. Keep alternating Albows and Speartons until your population is 64. Now buy a Meric, Resilience, Cure, Shield Wall, and Shield Bash. (If you were heavily damaged earlier, you could buy the Meric earlier.) After that, buy 2 Shadowraths and both Shinobi levels. Scout with Shinobi to see his army and to know what's coming. Finally, buy one last Magikill. This should put your population at 80. While your Magikill is loading, buy Tower Spawn I and Giant Growth I if possible. You can now prepare for your all-out assault.

NOTE: Replace all dead units as soon as possible.

ENDGAME

THE ATTACK
Charge.
Micro your Shadows in front first to assassinate Magikills. If they do not have Magikills go for the SHADOWRATHS next (to make sure they don't assassinate yours), then GIANTS (to get the small poison advantage). If they have lots of Archers go for them with your Speartons; if they don't just attack regularly. Now you can micro your Magikills. Poison as many units as you can first, then use Electric Wall on the Speartons/Giants/Albows, then Blast when necessary. Don't forget to constantly cast.

If the opponent retreats for the advantage of Castle Archer and Walls, camp at the Central Tower, get Tower Spawn II and Giant Growth II, wait for the ghost, and then attack.

If you lose all your Speartons you're pretty much dead anyway. So... no tips there.

I realize this is nowhere close to a "pro" strategy and can be easily countered by players 1800+. That is what I'm looking for - a PRO turtling strategy to use.

Feedback is appreciated.

THEFORCE
06-11-2013, 04:56 PM
First, if you start sword + archer on any map besides castle or halloween, your economy will be in a huge disadvantage. He could easily use rage build and kill your archer and sword and will have more economy. So it's not the best start there... On castle, sword + archer is probably the best start. But you say buy a miner from the first income, while the opponent will probably buy another sword. He will have army advantage there and because it's a small map, he'll easily pressure your miners and will force you to garrison. Even if you keep your archer alive, he will have about 2-3 swords and miners working, unlike yours who are garrisoned. So I think you could use a 2 miner build then get a castle archer on small maps.. On other maps like forest, desert or swamps. Get 1 sword and 2 miners.. The sword will be for scouting. Don't build more swords and just get a castle archer. You force him to build more troops to overwhelm your sword. While he thinks you'll build more swords too, you get a castle archer and go on building miners. Which could give you an economic advantage.

What you say on long maps is to get a castle archer first.. This isn't the best idea here. The opponent will have more economy since he could buy 1 sword, 2 miners. He won't keep building swords there since you don't even try to attack. Once you get your spearton, he has a bit further economy. He could even scout at first to see what you got there and plan to get speartons, archer and merics. He'll just pressure you hard early game and get tower spawn backed-up with archers to do even more damage to your troops before the magikill arrives. I like the rest though. Although he could get merics with cure to heal his troops from your magikill poison spray, and even get a shadowrath of his own. Shadowraths can't assassinate other shadows while in shinobi. He could get a giant and tower spawn II. Which will finish your army off. The format build you have for mid-game isn't bad though and could work. Just get some giants to back up your army.

_Ai_
06-12-2013, 12:32 AM
THE FORCE summarized it up.

And dang, thanks for the credit.

stickman311
06-12-2013, 01:10 AM
If u get sword archer, its not at an economical disadvantage, and also, i would stop your economy, outnumber your swords with my swords

merich1
06-12-2013, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone.

First, if you start sword + archer on any map besides castle or halloween, your economy will be in a huge disadvantage. He could easily use rage build and kill your archer and sword and will have more economy. So it's not the best start there... On castle, sword + archer is probably the best start. But you say buy a miner from the first income, while the opponent will probably buy another sword. He will have army advantage there and because it's a small map, he'll easily pressure your miners and will force you to garrison. Even if you keep your archer alive, he will have about 2-3 swords and miners working, unlike yours who are garrisoned. So I think you could use a 2 miner build then get a castle archer on small maps.. On other maps like forest, desert or swamps. Get 1 sword and 2 miners.. The sword will be for scouting. Don't build more swords and just get a castle archer. You force him to build more troops to overwhelm your sword. While he thinks you'll build more swords too, you get a castle archer and go on building miners. Which could give you an economic advantage.

What you say on long maps is to get a castle archer first.. This isn't the best idea here. The opponent will have more economy since he could buy 1 sword, 2 miners. He won't keep building swords there since you don't even try to attack. Once you get your spearton, he has a bit further economy. He could even scout at first to see what you got there and plan to get speartons, archer and merics. He'll just pressure you hard early game and get tower spawn backed-up with archers to do even more damage to your troops before the magikill arrives. I like the rest though. Although he could get merics with cure to heal his troops from your magikill poison spray, and even get a shadowrath of his own. Shadowraths can't assassinate other shadows while in shinobi. He could get a giant and tower spawn II. Which will finish your army off. The format build you have for mid-game isn't bad though and could work. Just get some giants to back up your army.

I like what you say for the Small/Medium maps. So I should start 1 Sword 2 Miners, send the Sword out as a decoy, and get a Castle Archer?

But Long Maps, I buy 2 Miners and then go Castle Archer. (Ooo, I just read my original post again and realized that that wasn't exactly made clear. Let me edit that.) So we're about equal in economy. Then he gets Tower Spawn and he loses his tiny advantage. More Archers... it takes a LONG time to make a row of Archers because gold in this case isn't raining from the sky for either of us. I'm FAIRLY certain that I can get the Mage before he has Tower Spawn AND enough Archers to threaten me.

The problem with getting Giants to back up my army is that I'm not exactly sure what I should sacrifice in population to get that Giant. Suggestions?

THEFORCE
06-12-2013, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I like what you say for the Small/Medium maps. So I should start 1 Sword 2 Miners, send the Sword out as a decoy, and get a Castle Archer?

But Long Maps, I buy 2 Miners and then go Castle Archer. (Ooo, I just read my original post again and realized that that wasn't exactly made clear. Let me edit that.) So we're about equal in economy. Then he gets Tower Spawn and he loses his tiny advantage. More Archers... it takes a LONG time to make a row of Archers because gold in this case isn't raining from the sky for either of us. I'm FAIRLY certain that I can get the Mage before he has Tower Spawn AND enough Archers to threaten me.

The problem with getting Giants to back up my army is that I'm not exactly sure what I should sacrifice in population to get that Giant. Suggestions?

Actually giants are ideal for your strategy there. I would highly suggest you get them. And it's not necessary a row of archers.. He could have like 4-5 archers and still do damage out of range of castle archer. And as I said, your mid-game build is actually good but missing giants.

merich1
06-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Actually giants are ideal for your strategy there. I would highly suggest you get them. And it's not necessary a row of archers.. He could have like 4-5 archers and still do damage out of range of castle archer. And as I said, your mid-game build is actually good but missing giants.

My problem is what to EXCHANGE for Giants.

THEFORCE
06-13-2013, 12:15 AM
My problem is what to EXCHANGE for Giants.

Speartons. Let me tell you how it works. You push for center. Lose most spears. Exchange them for giants.