PDA

View Full Version : Good opening move

40fy
06-11-2013, 08:37 PM
I was playing around with openings, and I stumbled across one where the timings line up almost perfectly. Its almost like stick empires was made for this opening. :confused: Please note that with the recent changes, this strategy is no longer effective on the larger maps.

In the beginning, put your two miners on gold, and build one miner and two swordwraths. Once the miner comes, set it on mana. When you get the gold from the two original miners, build two swordwraths. As soon as you get 50 mana, set that miner on gold and within 2 seconds (assuming you have been following correctly) you can get rage for the swordwrath. As soon as you can, get one more miner, and put it on gold. Now that the critical part is over, you can improvise a bit, but I do have a few tips. First off, attack pretty soon, with about eight swordwraths. If your opponent is going defensive, just capture the halfpoint tower. Otherwise, go for a fast victory. Even if your opponent makes a archidon, you will already have the upperhand, and should be able to rush your opponent later with a mass of swordwraths. Two other things to include in your army are archidons (in case your opponent has a similar strategy) and speartons with shield wall and shield bash (for keeping the opponent and their tower archidons occupied).

sorefinger
06-11-2013, 09:18 PM
wow sounds good im gonna try it

FailingAtFailing
06-11-2013, 09:26 PM
2 swords with rage is a fairly common opener

jerrytt
06-11-2013, 09:31 PM
when you see them mass swords you can just make a wall with 2-3 archidons.

40fy
06-11-2013, 09:42 PM
Thats why I suggested speartons. Only swordwraths is suicide.

40fy
06-11-2013, 09:44 PM
www.stickempires.com/play?replay=replay1503584&version=1.64
In this video my opponent forfeits, but atleast you can see the opening.:p

ShadowGeneralChaos
06-12-2013, 12:05 PM
not bad opening to catch the middle tower....but: on mid game you should tech up to speartons. if you mass sword, your enemy should already have castle archers and mages...so be carefull

Cha05Walking
06-12-2013, 01:57 PM
watch this replay: archers vs swords

www.stickempires.com/play?replay=replay1510874&version=1.64

FailingAtFailing
06-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Also, what if you are facing chaos? Bombers in begining, splash damage giant, splash damage spell dealers, yea.

For order, castle archer and turtle, they gain upper hand in economy, get better army, fairly likely win.

SavageStick
06-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Seems pretty common to me...

40fy
06-12-2013, 08:53 PM
The common opening has about three swordwraths instead of 8. This strategy was not made for use against Chaos, although I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to outmicro the bombers.

FailingAtFailing
06-13-2013, 03:22 PM
The common opening has about three swordwraths instead of 8. This strategy was not made for use against Chaos, although I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to outmicro the bombers.

3 isn't common because it is bad since they all load at once. Get a miner and by the time 2 swords are built, you have enough gold for a third.

40fy
06-13-2013, 05:10 PM
Sorry, I should have phrased that better- many of the people I have played against get three swordwraths very fast, and sometimes an archidon. My strategy is based on this idea, except you get rage sooner instead of the extra sword or archidon. You would end up attacking slightly later, but not at the point where the opponent would have giants or other powerful units. Its more of a mid-game rush than an early game or late rush if that helps. In other words, you want to attack around 3 to 5 minutes in.

Also, I just used this strategy against a chaos player and won, although to be fair they were a total noob.

stickman311
06-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Sorry, I should have phrased that better- many of the people I have played against get three swordwraths very fast, and sometimes an archidon. My strategy is based on this idea, except you get rage sooner instead of the extra sword or archidon. You would end up attacking slightly later, but not at the point where the opponent would have giants or other powerful units. Its more of a mid-game rush than an early game or late rush if that helps. In other words, you want to attack around 3 to 5 minutes in.

Also, I just used this strategy against a chaos player and won, although to be fair they were a total noob.

Well if u attack in 3 to 5 minutes, a magikill might appear, or also, giants

40fy
06-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Well if u attack in 3 to 5 minutes, a magikill might appear, or also, giants If your opponent has magikills, you've let them get too much economy. Send out scouts to prevent this. There are very few units better at destroying (enemy) economy than swordwraths with rage, as far as I can tell. (archidons also work nicely, but aren't as good against speartons) If your opponent does get a magikill, use the archidons which I strongly advise you to use. If a giant appears, attack: The miners, then the giant if you have at least 15 swordwraths with rage- or - The statue if the opponent has 2 or more giants. If you dont have 20 swordwraths at this point, just forfeit- I can't help you if you are that much of a noob. Basically, Giants are usually not a problem. The biggest danger is archidons, so use seartons (about 5) to counter.

stickman311
06-14-2013, 05:56 AM
If your opponent has magikills, you've let them get too much economy. Send out scouts to prevent this. There are very few units better at destroying (enemy) economy than swordwraths with rage, as far as I can tell. (archidons also work nicely, but aren't as good against speartons) If your opponent does get a magikill, use the archidons which I strongly advise you to use. If a giant appears, attack: The miners, then the giant if you have at least 15 swordwraths with rage- or - The statue if the opponent has 2 or more giants. If you dont have 20 swordwraths at this point, just forfeit- I can't help you if you are that much of a noob. Basically, Giants are usually not a problem. The biggest danger is archidons, so use seartons (about 5) to counter.

Umm, by the time u even get 5 spears, the opponent will get 2 giants and 2 magikill if you're facing fattygoat/fattycow

40fy
06-14-2013, 06:34 AM
You dont need the speartons against giants and magikills. Speartons limit the max number and speed of swordwrath production, so only use them when you have to.

stickman311
06-14-2013, 06:38 AM
You dont need the speartons against giants and magikills. Speartons limit the max number and speed of swordwrath production, so only use them when you have to.

Your saying you can kill 2 magikills in 2s cuz poison spray needs 2s

40fy
06-14-2013, 07:03 AM
Rushing a magikill head on is stupid. Two swordwraths with rage can defeat a magikill and live, so make the bulk of the army retreat and then get the magikills with 5 or 6 swords. The other, better solution would be to use the archers, as they can retreat from the magikills range before it can attack.

stickman311
06-14-2013, 07:07 AM
Rushing a magikill head on is stupid. Two swordwraths with rage can defeat a magikill and live, so make the bulk of the army retreat and then get the magikills with 5 or 6 swords. The other, better solution would be to use the archers, as they can retreat from the magikills range before it can attack.

I'm not sure if u know magikill can poison them, and use electric wall to block the swords, then blast them. Also, i would have miner wall and spear archer to block shadows. Also, magikill can escape shadowraths

_Ai_
06-14-2013, 07:13 AM
I'm sorry; but what's your rating?

40fy
06-14-2013, 07:28 AM
In my old account or my new one? I gave my old account to my brother, who quickly brought the rating down to 1190. My new account, 40fy was at 1400, then I used my other computer and lag forfeited 7 consecutive games. Now I'm back up to 1300, and still rising.

stickman311
06-14-2013, 07:30 AM
I'm sorry; but what's your rating?

Well, i didn't think too much cuz magikill will destroy swords, and, my rating is around 2039 for my order account, and for my chaos, bcz i didn't play that recently, i'm not sure but its around 2137

_Ai_
06-14-2013, 07:32 AM
Where do you think your actual rating would be at?

And do you think you could counter turtling?

@stickman wasn't asking you.

40fy
06-14-2013, 07:38 AM
I am well aware of the other magikill abilities, and swordwraths with rage can destroy them.

Much better replay-
www.stickempires.com/play?replay=replay1529004&version=1.64

_Ai_
06-14-2013, 07:52 AM
I am well aware of the other magikill abilities, and swordwraths with rage can destroy them.

Much better replay-
www.stickempires.com/play?replay=replay1529004&version=1.64

Sir, although swords can wreck mages, you won't get away without some serious damage to your swords. Starting with poison, 2 blasts can annihilate a pack of swords.

stickman311
06-14-2013, 08:03 AM
Sir, although swords can wreck mages, you won't get away without some serious damage to your swords. Starting with poison, 2 blasts can annihilate a pack of swords.
And 1 blast will destroy all the crawlers. Anyways, theres the mimer wall glitch, so swords will take more than 10s to destroy a wall and go through it

40fy
06-14-2013, 08:30 AM
Swordwraths with rage can destroy a magikill before it can attack that much. Just make sure you only send a small portion of your army. And once again, only use swords if you have decided to completely skip archidons, which is a mistake in its own right.

stickman311
06-14-2013, 08:31 AM
Swordwraths with rage can destroy a magikill before it can attack that much. Just make sure you only send a small portion of your army. And once again, only use swords if you have decided to completely skip archidons, which is a mistake in its own right.

Magikill wall, also of course, spears and archers

_Ai_
06-14-2013, 08:33 AM

It actually depends on that persons micro. If you go higher than 1600s, swords are blown to smithereens. And (maybe) still walk away with Mage barely alive.

I'm just guessing tho

stickman311
06-14-2013, 08:37 AM
It actually depends on that persons micro. If you go higher than 1600s, swords are blown to smithereens. And (maybe) still walk away with Mage barely alive.

I'm just guessing tho
Umm, the 1900s are just too easy to beat, cuz their economy is always slower cuz they overextended their army, and also, only train archers when i'm at the stage of spear archer lol. Actually, to counter swords, just get archers and miner wall, until they get miner wall. Then get spears, magikill, large economy, and tower spawn

40fy
06-14-2013, 03:23 PM
I understand that this is harder to do as the opponents get better, but honestly, how many times must I say that the best way to take care of the magikills is with archidons?

FailingAtFailing
06-14-2013, 03:26 PM
I understand that this is harder to do as the opponents get better, but honestly, how many times must I say that the best way to take care of the magikills is with archidons?

Poison archers, rush archers with speartons, yea, sure. Archers are ground ranged units which makes blocking their shots incredibly easy.

40fy
06-14-2013, 05:25 PM
I wasn't talking about speartons. If the game has gone late enough where your opponent has a magikill and a bunch of speartons, you are doing something wrong. Your opponent would have had to started with the speartons in this setup, which is when you should have attacked.

Actually, since everyone seems to agree that swords and archidons can't beat magikills, and I am somewhat of a noob (only sort of), I will assume you know something I don't. So, let me ask a question- do you guys think a spearton or two would be a good counter against a magikill?

jerrytt
06-14-2013, 08:21 PM
I wasn't talking about speartons. If the game has gone late enough where your opponent has a magikill and a bunch of speartons, you are doing something wrong. Your opponent would have had to started with the speartons in this setup, which is when you should have attacked.

Actually, since everyone seems to agree that swords and archidons can't beat magikills, and I am somewhat of a noob (only sort of), I will assume you know something I don't. So, let me ask a question- do you guys think a spearton or two would be a good counter against a magikill?

Speartons+magikill completely nullify archers. If you want to try "rushing" a magikill, youll probably need 4-6 spears at least, depending on how big his army is.

stickman311
06-14-2013, 09:00 PM
Speartons+magikill completely nullify archers. If you want to try "rushing" a magikill, youll probably need 4-6 spears at least, depending on how big his army is.

Actually, if the archidons are pro kiters, u really need archidons, cuz poison spray is delayed by 2s

40fy
06-14-2013, 10:41 PM
Do you know where I can find a replay displaying kiting? I've heard it explained a thousand times and yet I still don't quite understand it. (except for the very basic move of running to the side)

stickman311
06-14-2013, 11:46 PM
Do you know where I can find a replay displaying kiting? I've heard it explained a thousand times and yet I still don't quite understand it. (except for the very basic move of running to the side)

See WyzDM's montage 2 on youtube. In one replay it shows an archer vs 3 swords