PDA

View Full Version : Devon's Animations (Updated 7/7/14)

Devon
12-26-2013, 07:40 PM
For clarification, when I first created this thread I did not have flash at my disposal and used flipbook for these first 4 animations. I have flash now and will, most likely, no longer be using flipbook. However, I still would like to include these for posterity, as I do enjoy them and there is no other section in which I find them suitable to post.

Flipbook:

Shakin' Off the Rust (http://www.benettonplay.com/toys/flipbookdeluxe/player.php?id=464011)

Fullbody stuff (http://www.benettonplay.com/toys/flipbookdeluxe/player.php?id=464037)

Pacifist through your FACE (http://www.benettonplay.com/toys/flipbookdeluxe/player.php?id=467946)- 2/10/14

Explosion Test (http://www.benettonplay.com/toys/flipbookdeluxe/player.php?id=468491) - 2/17/14

Flash:

Unoriginal Stick Fight (http://dizzed.deviantart.com/art/Unoriginal-Stick-Fight-466373465?ga_submit_new=10%253A1404773163) - 6/20/2014

Unoriginal Stick Fight - Revised (http://dizzed.deviantart.com/art/Unoriginal-Stick-Fight-Revised-466577382?ga_submit_new=10%253A1404847016)

Perspective/Full Body Testing (http://dizzed.deviantart.com/art/Punch-Tooth-Flash-462838409) -6/20/14

Traumahawk! (WIP) (http://dizzed.deviantart.com/art/Traumahawk-WIP-466369526?ga_submit_new=10%253A1404772312) - 7/7/14

-Inspired by my friend's band's name, hoping to flesh it out with some blood and gore and surprise them with it. Obv. a work in progress.

Alien
12-27-2013, 12:46 PM
woah these look great.

Devon
02-10-2014, 06:09 PM
update

Scarecrow
02-10-2014, 06:21 PM
hah, nice. the fullbody is good and it flows nicely. looks sloppy though!

Devon
02-10-2014, 06:28 PM
thanks! yeah it's definitely super sloppy, it's pretty difficult to edit each frame on flipbook due to the lack of a layering feature, plus the onion skin only goes back one frame. it's a great little program for shaking off the rust, though!

Scarecrow
02-10-2014, 06:35 PM
you should get off your butt and 'obtain' a copy of flash already, then!

Devon
02-10-2014, 06:39 PM
I know :(

I'm just so lazy! It's hard enough to find the inspiration to make something short and sloppy, let alone go through all the effort to obtain flash. In the time it takes me to do all that is necessary to get flash I could make at least one or two of these animations, which is good enough for me right now because i'm just focusing on getting my basics down-pat again.

Hewitt
02-10-2014, 06:39 PM
Holy shit, no way. You wouldn't happen to be the same Devon who created the Picture Thread, would you?

Devon
02-10-2014, 06:48 PM
Yes. My greatest contribution to the stickpage community.

Reconcile
02-10-2014, 07:13 PM
Yes. My greatest contribution to the stickpage community.

Hooooooooo *0* can I get your autograph?

Devon
02-22-2014, 06:39 PM
Hooooooooo *0* can I get your autograph?

Yes!

"-Devon"

and i updated the first post with a new one, check it out! gotta brush up on some fx

Rebmund10
02-22-2014, 06:44 PM
The animations were pretty wobbly but overall it's good.

stickmakerflash
02-23-2014, 01:20 AM
That explosion test just made my day XD i dunno but i just seem to like the simple comedy of that grenade

Devon
02-24-2014, 08:41 AM
That explosion test just made my day XD i dunno but i just seem to like the simple comedy of that grenade

haha thanks! comments like this are what inspire me to animate more

LazyD
03-01-2014, 09:20 AM
Welcome baaaaaaack!!

Devon
06-20-2014, 12:44 PM
Bump because update!

Salt
06-21-2014, 11:57 AM
Lol hewitt he's been around for a while. Hangs around irc sometimes.

WolF D.
06-21-2014, 01:56 PM
OH MY MY NAME IS ALSO DEVON XD

Devon
06-29-2014, 09:01 AM
OH MY MY NAME IS ALSO DEVON XD

Awesome! Everyone I meet with my name spells it "Devin" or "Devan" or even "Deven". It's nice to meet others who spell it with an O. Welcome to the club!

latranchedepain
07-01-2014, 07:21 AM
I think this "flipbook" site is more like Easytoon. And I see more Easytoon animations than flash animations.

Devon
07-06-2014, 09:31 PM
bumpdate

(sorry for double post, please delete!)

Devon
07-07-2014, 05:10 PM
I think this "flipbook" site is more like Easytoon. And I see more Easytoon animations than flash animations.

http://i.imgur.com/Xaw2NsO.gif

In all seriousness, I'd appreciate some actual comments and critiques rather than the somewhat irrelevant replies this thread has received so far. Also, flipbook is neither easytoon nor flash so I don't really see your point.. If the mods agree then I'd have no problem with them moving the thread to its appropriate location. Considering this thread and the flipbook animations have been up for almost 7 months now I'd have to guess that either the mods aren't doing their jobs properly or it's not in the wrong section, but I'm inclined to believe the latter.

EDIT:

Reformatted and added a new (flash) animation. far from done so take it with a grain of salt!

Loopy
07-08-2014, 10:58 AM
I like your style, reminds me of older animations

as for critiques I'm bad at fullbody so i'll just try and critique the unoriginal stick fight one

I'd say more force in the hits, some of them looked a little weak. Also it was kinda slow, so this also mighta been something that caused some of the hits to look weak

Devon
07-08-2014, 01:18 PM
I like your style, reminds me of older animations

as for critiques I'm bad at fullbody so i'll just try and critique the unoriginal stick fight one

I'd say more force in the hits, some of them looked a little weak. Also it was kinda slow, so this also mighta been something that caused some of the hits to look weak

Thank you!

I thought about perhaps using VCam for the stick fight in order to shake things up when someone was struck, but forgot before posting.

Here, I've revised it:

Unoriginal Stick Fight - Revised (http://dizzed.deviantart.com/art/Unoriginal-Stick-Fight-Revised-466577382?ga_submit_new=10%253A1404847016)

AKDC
07-09-2014, 08:30 AM
I've looked at your animations and have taken an interest in your "Full body" work.
I have one question that I may know the answer to, but I'll ask anyway. Do you draw frequently apart from animation? If so, do you "Life Draw"? I ask because as an inspiring illustrator I take "Life Drawing" very seriously. If you don't know what Life drawing is, I'll dedicate this next paragraph to explanation.

Life drawing can be simply described as drawing the environment around you. Could be your cute pet Cat next to you, the neighbor's bike, the old man sitting in the autumn park playing chess by himself, may be a collective of bottles. What ever it is its a great tool to keep your hand sharp and your mind keen to proportions and natural movement. This is very helpful to the animator when it comes time to animate because it make the cartoon believable. You might say in our mind, "Believable? More like unbelievable! Its a cartoon!" Which is true to a point, if you have an animation of an obese man with stumpy legs run with long strides and jump effortlessly over hurdles you would say to yourself "That doesn't make any sense". Though if the fat man didn't run so fast and had trouble jumping (if he can even jump) over the hurdles then it would be believable.

Other than that I can't think of anything else to post. Hope this helps.

Devon
07-09-2014, 10:59 AM
I've looked at your animations and have taken an interest in your "Full body" work.
I have one question that I may know the answer to, but I'll ask anyway. Do you draw frequently apart from animation? If so, do you "Life Draw"? I ask because as an inspiring illustrator I take "Life Drawing" very seriously. If you don't know what Life drawing is, I'll dedicate this next paragraph to explanation.

Life drawing can be simply described as drawing the environment around you. Could be your cute pet Cat next to you, the neighbor's bike, the old man sitting in the autumn park playing chess by himself, may be a collective of bottles. What ever it is its a great tool to keep your hand sharp and your mind keen to proportions and natural movement. This is very helpful to the animator when it comes time to animate because it make the cartoon believable. You might say in our mind, "Believable? More like unbelievable! Its a cartoon!" Which is true to a point, if you have an animation of an obese man with stumpy legs run with long strides and jump effortlessly over hurdles you would say to yourself "That doesn't make any sense". Though if the fat man didn't run so fast and had trouble jumping (if he can even jump) over the hurdles then it would be believable.

Other than that I can't think of anything else to post. Hope this helps.

Actually, I used to draw very frequently and, since childhood, illustrating has always been a hobby for me. I've taken many art classes in which "life drawing" was the primary focus: model drawing, collections of bottles, environments in nature, etc.

Before experimenting with life drawing, however, most of my drawings were very cartoonish and disproportionate. Usually I would find a cool picture of a cartoon character I liked, such as Goku from Dragonball Z, and I would do my best to re-draw the picture just by looking at it. Once I took some classes and learned more about proportions and perspective, and how to make things look realistic, I found that even my cartoon drawings improved by leaps and bounds. Learning how to draw things as they truly appear in reality also helped me understand how to make my imaginary characters move more naturally. I try to apply this same thought process to my animations now. In the past I would solely animate stickfigures, but as I've aged they have lost their appeal. Much like my illustrations, I've reached the point where my imaginary characters must also be supported by a sense of realism and natural movement.

Nowadays I don't draw nearly as much as I used to, which saddens me because I used to spend every spare moment drawing. I think I'll try to dust off the old sketchbook and change that!

Btw, AKCD, you should post some of your animations (if you have any)! I always love seeing other users try full body animation, and if you animated your avatar then I'd have to guess you are pretty good!

AKDC
07-10-2014, 03:03 AM
I have posted one actually, a run cycle. Its a couple threads underneath. I would love to see more, you seem to be headed in the right direction.