PDA

View Full Version : Death, fire or ice?

Carteana
07-08-2008, 08:01 AM
Would you rather burn or freeze to death?

You must pick one or the other.

Bonk
07-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Both would be slow, but ice would be slower. I think.

I guess I can't tell unless I experience them.

sss
07-08-2008, 09:38 AM
what idiot would like to die,and would vote for a type of death!

Mantha
07-08-2008, 09:40 AM
I seriously don't want to pick my death. Or know how to die.

Bonk
07-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Guys you're sort of missing the point:

You must pick one or the other.

byondrage
07-08-2008, 09:47 AM
as much as i dont want to tell my own future of death >_>

..............fire

Mantha
07-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Guys you're sort of missing the point:
Yeah but still.

I guess ice.

Raffi
07-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Freeze. It's less painful.

Bonk
07-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Freeze. It's less painful.

But you DIE from it.

So it's obviously prolonged ice burn. Which would take longer and still hurt like shit.

Cade
07-08-2008, 11:04 AM
I don't want to choose my death.

New Generation
07-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Ice because if you freeze and in the near future years someone finds you, and you are still frozen they can unfreeze you and make you alive again with some sort of techonology. Because your organs are still intact and can start working again, they were frozen and no bacteria infected it.

Carteana
07-09-2008, 12:15 AM
Hmm, some interesting theories but the general idea I was trying to communicate is that...

*Burning would be more painful, but quicker

*Freezing would be less painful, but slower

So which one would you pick?

Myself
07-09-2008, 12:46 AM
Ice because if you freeze and in the near future years someone finds you, and you are still frozen they can unfreeze you and make you alive again with some sort of techonology. Because your organs are still intact and can start working again, they were frozen and no bacteria infected it.

NO BECAUSE WHEN YOUR BLOOD FREEZES IT PUNTURES ALL THE BLOOD VESSLES AND WHEN YOU GET UNFROZEN YOU BLEED TO DEATH REALLY REALLY GODDAMN FAST

ABOUT 10 SECONDS AFTER YOUR BLOOD UNFREEZES

physics.

error
07-09-2008, 01:19 AM
freez cuz i cud b lik a cave man that is found by a guy frozen!!!111!!

LN3uq
07-09-2008, 02:03 AM
Freeze to DEATH

DEATH

not freeze to paralysis

Kveyo
07-09-2008, 02:05 AM

this isnt futurama you ****ing idiot

sss
07-09-2008, 02:20 AM
Hmm, some interesting theories but the general idea I was trying to communicate is that...

*Burning would be more painful, but quicker

*Freezing would be less painful, but slower

So which one would you pick?

No! Ice burn is the biggest pain,cos its very slow and more painful then fire.

Scarecrow
07-09-2008, 02:28 AM
I'd go with freezing, it'd be less painful. And give you more time to end it more quickly.

Fire would just be AAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGG **** I'M IN A FIRE OH GOD AAAAAARRRRRRRHHHHHHHH I'M DYING OH GOD AAAAAAHHHHHHH AHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHH SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR WHY ISN'T ANYONE HELPING OH GOD AAAAHHH AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGggggggggghhhhhhhhh.....

sss
07-09-2008, 02:33 AM
Try holding your hand for ~10mins in a bucket full of COLD COLD water with MANY MANY ice cubes.

Maybe then you will pick fire as less painful.

Scarecrow
07-09-2008, 02:42 AM
Uh, try putting your hand in a fire for five seconds.

sss
07-09-2008, 02:45 AM
i did that once my clothes were on fire. it wasn't that bad as a hand in the bucket.

Jeremy
07-09-2008, 03:28 AM
I think you would asphyxiate pretty quickly if you were being burned alive, but you would still be in tremendous pain. Id rather freeze to death.

Ssjbryando
07-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Mhm..

Ice basicly makes your body very very cold, and it goes slow and painfull. You can still survive for a couple of secs while frozen and you can't do anything about it.

Fire is painfull as hell, and you feel your skin burn the whole time. less slower but more painfull.

I choose.

ice
fire
ice
maybe
yes?

Index
07-09-2008, 04:51 PM
freez cuz i cud b lik a cave man that is found by a guy frozen!!!111!!

I agree.

Omega
07-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Uh, try putting your hand in a fire for five seconds.

My friend did that for about two seconds and nothing happened, somehow.

Anyway, I'd rather freeze.

Kitsune
07-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Burn to death. The nerves will go first, from what I've read. The freezing will kill the nervous system slower, making you suffer more.

Freezing, no thank you.

Carteana
07-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Burn to death. The nerves will go first, from what I've read. The freezing will kill the nervous system slower, making you suffer more.

Freezing, no thank you.

Exactly, this is why I would choose burning.
Much quicker too.

Kitsune
07-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Yeah! So what if fire hurts? Only for a while. I'm sure the cooling until freezing hurts, the fighting of your rapid beating heart hurts, your frozen fingers freezing first hurt, and your nervous system finally shutting down even hurts until it's done.

Unless you're in icewater, in which case you would drown before freezing to death, so it wouldn't really count.

MadHatter
07-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Normal body temperature in humans is 37C. Hypothermia can be divided in three stages of severity.

In stage 1, body temperature drops by 1-2C below normal temperature (35-38C). Mild to strong shivering occurs.[1][2] The victim is unable to perform complex tasks with the hands; the hands become numb. Blood vessels in the outer extremities constrict, lessening heat loss to the outside air. Breathing becomes quick and shallow. Goose bumps form, raising body hair on end in an attempt to create an insulating layer of air around the body (which is of limited use in humans due to lack of sufficient hair, but useful in other species). Often, a person will experience a warm sensation, as if they have recovered, but they are in fact heading into Stage 2. Another test to see if the person is entering stage 2 is if they are unable to touch their thumb with their little finger; this is the first stage of muscles not working.

In stage 2, body temperature drops by 2-4C. Shivering becomes more violent. Muscle mis-coordination becomes apparent.[1][2][3] Movements are slow and labored, accompanied by a stumbling pace and mild confusion, although the victim may appear alert. Surface blood vessels contract further as the body focuses its remaining resources on keeping the vital organs warm. The victim becomes pale. Lips, ears, fingers and toes may become blue.

In stage 3, body temperature drops below approximately 32 C (89.6 F). Shivering usually stops.[1][2] Difficulty speaking, sluggish thinking, and amnesia starts to appear; inability to use hands and stumbling is also usually present. Cellular metabolic processes shut down. Below 30 C (86.0 F), the exposed skin becomes blue and puffy, muscle coordination becomes very poor, walking becomes almost impossible, and the victim exhibits incoherent/irrational behavior including terminal burrowing or even a stupor. Pulse and respiration rates decrease significantly but fast heart rates (ventricular tachycardia, atrial fibrillation) can occur. Major organs fail. Clinical death occurs. Because of decreased cellular activity in stage 3 hypothermia, the body will actually take longer to undergo brain death.

Freezing to death, while may take long is much much MUCH less painful. You basically just become numb and fall asleep.

Teh_One
07-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Freezing to death, while may take long is much much MUCH less painful. You basically just become numb and fall asleep.
your forgetting the pain of frostbite or freezer burn.

Dinomut
07-10-2008, 01:53 AM
with freezing to death, at least you become numb after a while and then you get delusional. Burning to death, it hurts the whole time and you are in perfect mental health the whole time

ultramega
07-10-2008, 02:27 AM
Freeze to death.

Deadface.
07-10-2008, 06:15 AM

Freezing, no thank you.

Lol, exactly what I was gonna say.

New Generation
07-10-2008, 07:34 AM
Hah, you idiots. There will be some kind of really good technology which will make you alive again. In a paralysis its' true. Not to death. If you freeze really quickly in a really low temperature then if you stay like that you may get unfrozen already prepared for bursting of vessels, because they froze quickly so they won't budge up the vessels too much and explode. Maybe they would start moving the blood accurately first so it will circulate properly again with some kind of magnetic shit.

It's not fact but it's kind of what I hope will happen to me, but it's not!

It's a dream.

Death is inevitable. This fact is a fundamental part of human existence, something most of us have come to accept on one level or another. Science is rapidly advancing to a stage where some very real possibilities are presenting themselves. In the near future it is perfectly conceivable that the average life expectancy of humans is double or even triple what it is now. Even so, to some people the thought of dying is terrifying enough to warrant spending serious money in order to put it off as long as possible.

A new phenomena has emerged from the American elite, namely terminally ill or injured individuals having themselves cryogenically frozen until such time as a cure is invented for their ailments. Naturally, where there is demand, supply will follow. The main company handling cryogenic freezing is a Californian outfit called the Alcor Foundation, who will freeze you in ‘cryostasis’ using liquid nitrogen for a paltry $US120,000. Unfortunately for those wishing to undergo the procedure, you have to move to California, currently the only place on the planet where cryogenic freezing is legal. Applicants are still required to go through a very complex legal process in order to gain entry to the program, and you must become a member of the Alcor Foundation before you can apply.

The million-dollar question, however, is does it work? Well, not yet, according to Alcor. The idea is that because science is moving so fast, in just a few years they should have the technology to re-animate you, and repair all the damage done to your body as a result of being frozen at -220C. The human body is a very intricate and complex organism. Every second of the day blood is being pumped around your body, delivering vital energy and nutrients to your cells. These cells have very limited energy reserves, so when your heart stops and the blood is no longer flowing, they quickly run out of nutrients and begin to succumb to toxic chemical reactions. The key point is that when subjected to extreme cold, these toxic reactions are greatly slowed down. By freezing the cells in liquid nitrogen, Alcor hopes to slow the decaying process down to a point where you can be theoretically be kept in cryostasis forever. Their philosophy is that if a person’s body and brain cells are properly preserved, then that person is potentially alive, no matter how long they might have been clinically ‘dead’.

Cryogenic freezing is already common for bacteria and other living cells, with great success. Unfortunately the body is infinitely more complex than these relatively simple organisms, and so there are some serious drawbacks to the process in human beings. For example, when the temperature passes -100C, water is forced out of the cells and crystallises, piercing the membrane and causing significant damage. As you freeze, there is a very real chance your tissues will tear due to differences in temperature between areas of the body. Alcor acknowledges these damages are unavoidable, and even provides a full list of theoretical dangers of the process on request. They express confidence, however, that the emerging science of nanotechnology will easily be able to repair you before you are brought back to life.

There is still no proof whatsoever that we will ever possess the technology to bring those already frozen back to life. Alcor proudly states that no scientist has ever proved it will be impossible to re-animate them. Using that as it’s basis, along with a healthy dose of optimism, Alcor states that cryostasis is “...the only rational option for anyone who wants to transcend today’s ‘natural’ limitations on human life.”

The possibilities are frightening. The implications of people having massively extended lifespans have not yet been explored in detail - the few studies done all predict nothing but disaster for the planet as a whole. Until those with this obsessive fear of death come to grips with their own mortality, they will continue using their financial weight to steer science towards a confrontation with nature that we can never win.

Jeremy
07-10-2008, 07:46 AM
Delicious copy pasta.

New Generation
07-10-2008, 07:50 AM
I know but it gives you some information about some possibilities on freezing a human body and preserving it.

Thought I think:

the problem of chriogenics is a very simple one.

When water cools it expands. when freezing, the fluid freezes, expands and breaks the cell membranes effectively destroying the cell. This like stated above would make for a very mushy(and dead) person when thawed.

If cryogenics were to be taken seriously a method for flash freezing coupled with natural antifreezes (as such in frogs etc...) will allow for non destructive freezing. As of yet this is not possible.

Chunky
07-10-2008, 10:45 AM
freeze, cuz i'd be too numb to feel it

shudokai
07-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Burn, cause if i would get burned by a very very hot fire i wont feel anything, becuz my brain implodes and the proteine in my veins begin to boil instandly ... so im dead before i feel any heat ...

But (!!!) i dont really want to die by fire but i prefer fire .... i hate it to freeze :Cold:

Kitsune
07-10-2008, 08:42 PM
If you freeze to death in a non-controlled environment, or in a controlled environment, you will not recover. Your heart stopped. =/ Biological death is unrecoverable.

LakE
07-10-2008, 08:48 PM
I'd enjoy freezing to death more than burning to death.

Atleast when you freeze to death there isn't much of a panic, if any.
Depends the scenario, out in the artic, freezing, fine by me.

In a burning house, burning to death?
Nah. Not any day.

Of course, pain comes with both. You skin will chap with freezing, which would hurt. But you become numb.
Burning to death would kill the nerves, surely. Thus creating a numbness.

Freezing just seems more delightful than burning.

Kitsune
07-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Freezing just seems more delightful than burning.

B-But it's slower.

Deadface.
07-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Atleast when you freeze to death there isn't much of a panic, if any.
Depends the scenario, out in the artic, freezing, fine by me.

Never heard of hypothermia?

LakE
07-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Never heard of hypothermia?

Yeah. That isn't when your body goes into panic mode. It's in 3 stages, which is pretty much shivvering, more violent shivvering and numbing then a semi-shut down of the body.

You can stay calm through-out. Where as when you burn, you'd probably be screaming and flailing.

the afro ninja
07-11-2008, 12:39 AM
Both would be extremely unpleasant however I would rather burn.

Kitsune
07-11-2008, 12:47 AM
Yeah. That isn't when your body goes into panic mode. It's in 3 stages, which is pretty much shivvering, more violent shivvering and numbing then a semi-shut down of the body.

You can stay calm through-out. Where as when you burn, you'd probably be screaming and flailing.
Though freezing is calm, it takes longer no doubt. Who cares if you're in panic? you suffer less!

look. If you're freezing TO DEATH, you don't classify cold suffering as "shivering and more violent shivering". Those shivering stages, being a violent cold wave of painful frost, possibly wind or moisture, freezing you and making you suffer greatly until finally, frostbite kills the nerves, is much more terribly painful than burning to death, flailing your nerveless arms around. In panic.

Who cares about panic anyway when it's a matter of dieing? Pride? You're DIEING. Panic and shock will take over anyone. if you're freezing to death, I'm sure you give a valiant effort to warm your body or get away, thus warming your body, lengthening the suffering death.

Upps
07-11-2008, 02:04 AM
well freezing is actually less painful, and faster, plus burning is really anoying to feel.

Scarecrow
07-11-2008, 02:14 AM
Though freezing is calm, it takes longer no doubt. Who cares if you're in panic? you suffer less!

look. If you're freezing TO DEATH, you don't classify cold suffering as "shivering and more violent shivering". Those shivering stages, being a violent cold wave of painful frost, possibly wind or moisture, freezing you and making you suffer greatly until finally, frostbite kills the nerves, is much more terribly painful than burning to death, flailing your nerveless arms around. In panic.

Who cares about panic anyway when it's a matter of dieing? Pride? You're DIEING. Panic and shock will take over anyone. if you're freezing to death, I'm sure you give a valiant effort to warm your body or get away, thus warming your body, lengthening the suffering death.

Your argument is invalid.

Raffi
07-11-2008, 12:01 PM
lol late quote

So it's obviously prolonged ice burn. Which would take longer and still hurt like shit.
Burning was a popular way to torture/execute criminals in the old days. But I don't remember people getting frozen to death. I mean, it would hurt, but the average human would be able to sustain cold temperatures more than warm temperatures. You can survive living in a refrigerator for about a week [or a month if you really do things properly] but being stuck in a lit fireplace? You're ****ed.

Kitsune
07-11-2008, 12:49 PM
well freezing is actually less painful, and faster, plus burning is really anoying to feel.
=/

Your argument is invalid.

Your face is invalid.

Clips
07-12-2008, 11:18 PM
im not picking for 2 reasons:
1. both are really freaking me out and would hurt in a short time and long time
2. ill probably jinx it or somethin then i'll die of it =( =( =(

-whisper- i would probably die from freezing though.. shhhhh

shrooms
07-12-2008, 11:47 PM
they both burn
freezing just takes longer
once your dead it wont matter anyway
i pick fire

Akeru
07-13-2008, 12:51 AM
really, yeah... i'd rather have my neck jerked while i'm asleep if I HAD to die. Quick, painless, and I wouldn't feel a thing. So niether.

notmaggot
07-13-2008, 02:05 AM
fire. mainly because ive always thought it would be funny to watch someone run around on fire, so why not be the person running around on fire.

Covalence
07-13-2008, 03:26 AM
FIRE FIRE FIRE

OH I'M BURNIN

YO WE'RE ON FIRE

AGAHGAHAGAHAGAHG

basic overview

fire - quick and painful?

ice - slow and painless?

true or false, give reason to your answer

RawGreen
08-28-2008, 09:51 AM