PDA

View Full Version : Gosh freaking Darnit!!

Kitsune
07-15-2008, 01:35 AM
****ing AP/Honors English is pissing me off! AP English is a class I signed up for because AP means college credits earned through a test when the test is given to your college. What they did NOT tell me was that you had to do summer work because we're "More advanced."

So this is our summer break assignment:
Read the following Novels, and fill out the 3 study guides, each worth 3 assignments to the AP English grade:
The Chosen - A Jew Book that I read half a month ago, and since then have filled out the 101 question packet on it

The Sound and the Fury - Currently reading, and what this thread is mostly about.

Cry, the Beloved Country - Blackity, Black-Black Black!!!

So Now I am currently reading William Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury. I cannot express my hate enough for books with characters that talk with a southern accent, while the text in the book describes this in the quotation marks ever so clearly.

I am 30 pages in, having begun reading today, and being the slowest reader of my high school class, and I already regret taking the AP screening. This is a High school Book??? It Starts out with a retard (no, a real mentally challenged retard) narrating the story, only making everything way more confusing, because this 33 year old actually jumps from scene to scene so frequently at the beginning of the book, with no character introduction, alienating the reader from what's going on with such a whiplash when ripped from his childhood to 33 years old, and back and forth and again and again. This will not cease until page 87 when i get to the better parts, like the retard's brother driving himself into a suicide. THAT will be fun to read. I just thank GOD that we have the internet here with us, or else this book, I know will drive me insane.

http://www.bookrags.com/notes/saf/

Has anyone here read this book?
Comments on how The Chosen, The Sound and the Fury or Cry, the Beloved Country are?
Suggestions on how to read or take in these books in my spongy gray matter brain?

Raffi
07-15-2008, 02:01 AM
Wtf? Schools and colleges are supposed to tell you everything about an assignment or whatever.

Just pick out the most important parts and take notes. Or draw pictures.

Ninja_K
07-15-2008, 06:54 AM
search "sparknotes" on google to have a simpleised chapter summary,

EDIT:
CHARACTER OVERVIEW, AND AN ANYLISIS OF THE CHARCTERS!!! Creds to me for having an epic site. And just search ur other books if u need them too.

EDIT:
http:// ww w.sparknotes. co m/lit/soundfury/

<"The first three chapters of the novel consist of the convoluted thoughts, voices, and memories of the three Compson brothers, captured on three different days. The brothers are Benjy, a severely retarded thirty-three-year-old man, speaking in April, 1928; Quentin, a young Harvard student, speaking in June, 1910; and Jason, a bitter farm-supply store worker, speaking again in April, 1928. Faulkner tells the fourth chapter in his own narrative voice, but focuses on Dilsey, the Compson family’s devoted “Negro” cook who has played a great part in raising the children. Faulkner harnesses the brothers’ memories of their sister Caddy, using a single symbolic moment to forecast the decline of the once prominent Compson family and to examine the deterioration of the Southern aristocratic class since the Civil War." --- Sparknotes.cong

THIS UR BOOK?

Kitsune
07-15-2008, 11:20 AM
Yep, thats my book.

Have you read it?

Schwa
07-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Lulowned

I don't have to do anything over the summer for my AP english.

I think...

Kitsune
07-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Lulowned

I don't have to do anything over the summer for my AP english.

I think...

At my school, it's required for all grades, and I am just getting into it my senior year. WAY TO RIP ME INTO A DESTRUCTIVE PARALLEL WHERE I'M BORED ALL SUMMER, WILLIAM FAULKNER!!!!!!!!!!

Smashdood
07-15-2008, 07:09 PM
You must be in the most epic failure of all AP classes. AP Lit is supposed to be about reading the books and discussing, NOT filling out 100 question study guides. That sort of bullshit is reserved for 8th grade in my school district. You're supposed to understand the works and their ideas, not be able to regurgitate the information like a robot.

However, it may just be that your teacher wants to make sure that you all read the books so you're dedicated enough for the class. . . that's certainly a bricked way to be sure of it. Keep us informed.

Kitsune
07-15-2008, 08:09 PM
You must be in the most epic failure of all AP classes. AP Lit is supposed to be about reading the books and discussing, NOT filling out 100 question study guides. That sort of bullshit is reserved for 8th grade in my school district. You're supposed to understand the works and their ideas, not be able to regurgitate the information like a robot.

However, it may just be that your teacher wants to make sure that you all read the books so you're dedicated enough for the class. . . that's certainly a bricked way to be sure of it. Keep us informed.
:D Thanks. You understand.

Well tonight, I'll be power-reading (lol ghey) tonight to get past the retard's narration, and get into the interesting plot section. Page 43 right now, 87 ends the section. I then have to answer the questions on the section. :'(

Some of the questions are nicely in-depth. Some of them are like: "Wut Carikter dus this!?!??" which seem to waste my time more than get me learning. >:(

Mostly, the AP class is easier than the average academic class, as I hear from the senior students from last year. I'm very fine with not being in academic. The AP class has an easier teacher than academic teacher. The academic class's teacher had people break down.

Fun!

Not really. 3:

Ninja_K
07-15-2008, 08:14 PM
why bother reading the whole thing? just read the chapter summarires here..
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/soundfury

Smashdood
07-19-2008, 01:01 AM
That doesn't sound like proper material for an AP class, Kitsune.

If you need any advice on the AP test (i.e. your teacher is bad) ask me. My scores just got in, I got a 5.

Schwa
07-19-2008, 12:19 PM

If you need any advice on the AP test (i.e. your teacher is bad) ask me. My scores just got in, I got a 5.

On a similar yet different and totally off-topic tangent to boost my ego.

I'm still waiting for my AP psychology results back.

And to deflate my ego, I think I put the wrong address on the sheet.

=_[

Liquid_Tang
07-19-2008, 11:22 PM
I just looked into the hole and there was nothing.

Kitsune
07-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Lol who changed the title? Hilarious.

why bother reading the whole thing? just read the chapter summarires here..
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/soundfury
I use them, but not to replace the literature. =/

Thanks Smashdood. I think I will later. Edinboro University needs an AP score of 4 or 5 to get credits.

I'm done with the retard's section. Now It's a bit easier with the neurotic emo telling the story.

What's with you again, Liquid Tang?

Covalence
07-22-2008, 01:03 AM
the question packet sounds like something i would do in school as a test

Kitsune
07-22-2008, 10:14 AM
the question packet sounds like something i would do in school as a test

Well the packets are worth as much as a test for each book.

;-;

Edit:

lol I love what they say about Ben here:
This first section of The Sound and the Fury is very difficult to navigate. Benjy, whose eyes are our only window on the Compsons thus far, is one of the most incomprehensible and challenging narrators in all of literature. Benjy’s severe mental disability has left him with virtually no capacity for subjective thought. From his perspective, life is merely a string of images, sounds, and memories that he is unable to interpret, express, or organize in any meaningful way. Benjy does not understand any of the abstract concepts that underpin human existence, such as birth, death, love, family, virginity, intimacy, and marriage.

They're right too. It was the hardest 85 pages I've read in my entire life.