PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Mansion 2014

stone
11-07-2014, 05:14 PM
Haunted Mansion 2014
http://static.stickpage.com/img/game_thumbs_wide/hauntedmansion2014.jpg (http://stickpage.com/hauntedmansion2014.shtml)
http://stickpage.com/hauntedmansion2014.shtml

It's back again, stickpages spooky haunted mansion!
Results of our winners are currently being judged, for now enjoy the finished product :}

Music By: Midnightsmach - Bates
Special thanks: Apex, Bonk, and Drone

Irian
11-07-2014, 05:46 PM
Would have been nice to know that not all parts would be accepted beforehand, but it's cool anyways
I also feel like the music kind of killed the mood,
^ srry just my two cents for the next HM lol :]

HyMaster
11-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Nice, the parts are all cool and spooky.
I didn't get in. I know the reasons anyway. Oh well, hoping for next time.

Would have been nice to know that not all parts would be accepted beforehand, but it's cool anyways
I too feel like the music was a bit off.

Gaaading
11-07-2014, 06:13 PM

Yeah the music constantly playing is a serious buzzkill. Also the audio for the potted plant part is off.

Xrebellion
11-07-2014, 08:44 PM
So.. My thoughts.. The way it's compiled seem kinda rushed. On my part, (The eye, tho the object you need to click is the door at the very left), The girl didn't have her eye socket on the last scene. Which is actually a big deal.
Is it just me but when you play the player thing on the table, when it returns on the main selection scene, the camera is distorted.
I agree on the music choice too. Not really fitting and should just have just an ambient spooky music.
Last thing, no offense to the creator but, the paint brush shouldn't be there. It's not spooky, creepy or scary in any way and is just a stick fight.
I hope these small details could actually be fixed. But either way, good job on everyone who participated.

Op34
11-07-2014, 10:21 PM
the paint brush shouldn't be there. It's not spooky, creepy or scary in any way and is just a stick fight.
I hope these small details could actually be fixed. But either way, good job on everyone who participated.

Good thing I'm not the only one thinking that XD the brush one is kinda like feel out of place ya know :3 and why do I feel that theirs a missing part?(linked all the parts in the intro to the Object 1 part missing) hmm but yeah and some how the music in the selection is still playing once we selected an object that kinda ruin the silent horror feel but still Great job everyone ^ ^

Ipman
11-07-2014, 10:45 PM
even though i know im not going in, i still feel bad for myself.... but i like the result! my favourite part was... Washing Machine, OP's Picture, Bathtub, Potted Plant, Staircase

FL-Nordin
11-08-2014, 04:34 AM
yaaay im in, i hope you guys got seriously spooked by my washing machine MUHAhahaha, good job to everybody.

I couldnt find savy's part (he choose gloves), he was in the intro scene but i cant find his gloves in the menu or am i not searching hard enough?

SZ-Rayze
11-08-2014, 04:41 AM
The SONG reminds me that of Tekoiz's clan (East-Side Motherfuckers) theme song.. And I'm pretty sure that I wasn't the only one who realized that..

_SAVY_
11-08-2014, 05:09 AM
I couldnt find savy's part (he choose gloves), he was in the intro scene but i cant find his gloves in the menu or am i not searching hard enough?

yeah i pm'ed stone i hope he will fix that .. also i would have my own bg ambient sfx for my part but uhm idk lol i was so happy to see my entry in the intro and then i was like searching for 30 minutes the gloves XD

Fordz
11-08-2014, 05:38 AM
Um, frankly the previous Haunted Mansion was spookier. No offense tho, just stating my comments.
Anyway, the best part for me was the Photography Room since it kinda shocked me when that creature appeared. Second for me was the eyeball part, was spooky.

And honestly, those are the only spooky ones...
But good animation work tho! Nice job guys!

FL-Nordin
11-08-2014, 06:06 AM
Um, frankly the previous Haunted Mansion was spookier. No offense tho, just stating my comments.
Anyway, the best part for me was the Photography Room since it kinda shocked me when that creature appeared. Second for me was the eyeball part, was spooky.

And honestly, those are the only spooky ones...
But good animation work tho! Nice job guys!

we had to convince the judges/watchers that our object was haunted, the defenition of spooky is different for many

Xrebellion
11-08-2014, 07:16 AM
Yup. I didn't really go for my entry to be scary or creepy. Since it's hard to make a stick creepy anyways.
But glad that you think it's spook, fordz.

acb
11-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Yeah a part for this wouldn't have to aim to be spooky, but it just depends on what you're going for really whether it's funny or just jump scares or something, as long as it's something related to a haunted object right?

I enjoyed a lot of the parts that were well-made, I can tell FL-Nordin's part by his style and I thought his was funny, I would name a few others but I can't tell who made what for the parts I liked most lol. :(

Also, yeah personally I agree that the song maybe didn't fit too well because it was constantly playing, and over other sounds that interfered a lot with each other. It didn't set the mood well for me and it gave me the impression that this was rushed. Not that I'm implying that it was rushed because it did have some other better aspects.

I liked the room full of objects you could interact with, just like the last one, but the last one I think was better-made and I think in this one there could have been something cool that could have been done with the lighting in the room, (of course like the one before where you can control the flash light with your cursor).

Overall I'd say, I'm going to have to watch it a few more times to get the most out of it, I probably missed a few objects to click on!

Shadowkirby
11-08-2014, 12:42 PM
After seeing the entries, kinda makes me wish I finished mine. :c

There are a few good ones, but some didn't really have that "spookiness" that I have hoped for.

I was also thrown off by the music which killed the atmosphere for those who wanted a quite, subtle entry.

Proton
11-08-2014, 11:38 PM
Fordz is right. The last one was more spookier than this one. The last one was spookier cuz of Hyun, Endo and etc. Sick music tho.

AquanaKnight
11-08-2014, 11:57 PM
i likes chalkboard ,staircase ,picture and eyeball part *that poor clock*
but we have a limit time only 20 second and not scary i hoped for....

btw great job guys!

Ipman
11-09-2014, 12:10 AM
Yeah i pretty much agree with everyone.... you guys did a good job btw..
although i was waiting for jumpscares...

Gaaading
11-09-2014, 01:06 AM
but we have a limit time only 20 second and not scary i hoped for....

btw great job guys!

Fantastic job from everyone.

I agree that 20 seconds was very short. Horror is 3/4ths suspense, 1/4th actual scares. Suspense requires some time, but whats done is done. At least if it is possible to fix the music to where it is not constantly replaying THROUGH the parts. Also please if you can review the parts you have selected to compiled and be sure to adjust them to their proper timings and have all the appropriate pieces.

Not to be nit-picky, but this is a competition with monetary value at stake and little mistakes can make an animation pass or fail. If the sound timing is off or someone eye part is missing that could seriously affect the judging process. Seeing as that the compiler has access to the SWFs of all the parts, I suggest they review and make the proper adjustments.

Shuriken255
11-09-2014, 04:35 AM
Well, i can't say that is spooky. Only stairs was scary, but another things include mine bear aren't scary at all. The brush one isn't spooky at all. It's just stick fight. My entry don't have spookyness. Only shitty and not scary jumpscare, so that's my fault too. Ahh, i hope i will do better in next Haunted Mansion, if that will be, of course.

In conclusion, i have to say: at least we tried.

Xrebellion
11-09-2014, 06:20 AM
Fordz is right. The last one was more spookier than this one. The last one was spookier cuz of Hyun, Endo and etc. Sick music tho.

No, it's not because of the animators. Sure, those guys are better but that doesn't mean the participants this year can't top them or make an entry of the same level.
Some animations on this one are good but the 20 seconds really limits everything. You can't really build up the tension and/or suspense. Thus putting a jumpscare would be hard cause that needs a build up, and you can't just animate a build up and a jumpscare for your whole entry.
It was also encouraged to make your entry spooky/creepy, not just scary. That's a whole different thing. And making sticks creepy is really hard, cause they're just sticks.

FL-Nordin
11-09-2014, 07:33 AM
the only thing wrong with my part is the sound sync that is 0.2 seconds late or something like that (its not really a big issue for my part, but i agree, it is for other parts)
and the font that sais "sometime later" that i forgot to break apart, it should have been the same creepy font as on the washing machine, but thats my own fault for not breaking it apart.(i forgot)

20 seconds is kinda short for something REALLY spooky and i agree with that, but that doesnt matter, but what you then do is adapt, and not force a jumpscare into a non-buildup animation (wich some people did very good)
if you know that 20 seconds is to short for a jumpscare, then dont do it, think of something else.

Corn
11-09-2014, 07:34 AM
awww my part didn't make the cut. Kinda disappointed D: Oh well...

Good job to the animators nevertheless. Really liked some of them. The 20 seconds limit kind of makes things seem a little incomplete... Wish it could be longer.

Jaywi
11-09-2014, 07:46 AM
Well the brush thing is kinda off.
It's just a stick fight to me .-.

Hewitt
11-09-2014, 08:52 PM
Found a bug in your anim stone (also PM-ed you incase this gets passed over). When you come from the Cassette Player anim, the cassette player item and the mirror item disappear from the left side. I've been testing with all the objects and I'm not sure but I think it happens sometimes with the paintbrush too.

EDIT: It appears this frame where the 2 objects are missing was a draft version of the final HM2 hub. You can see that the clock has changed position and the door on the left is nowhere to be found in this frame.

Anyways, I agree on the sentiments about the jumpscare. A jumpscare isn't really viable if the limit is only 20 seconds unless you're that good at being subtle (which I dunno, I think 1 or 2 managed to do it right but it still felt cliche). I absolutely loved the Casette Player one, and I can't believe no one's mentioned it yet. It's so surreal and just gives you a jibbly feeling inside.

And imo the stairs one wasn't technically a jumpscare because you were expecting it to happen. The anim was escalating (badum ksh) towards it.

[K2]
11-09-2014, 10:38 PM
I made it in!! that's exciting in itself :D

FL-Nordin
11-10-2014, 03:57 AM
Found a bug in your anim stone (also PM-ed you incase this gets passed over). When you come from the Cassette Player anim, the cassette player item and the mirror item disappear from the left side. I've been testing with all the objects and I'm not sure but I think it happens sometimes with the paintbrush too.

EDIT: It appears this frame where the 2 objects are missing was a draft version of the final HM2 hub. You can see that the clock has changed position and the door on the left is nowhere to be found in this frame.

yeah for me it happens after the cassette animation only, but what you mean is that the V-Cam is zoomed in to where you can only see the edge of the table (unable to see the handmirror, cassette and the left door)
also about the cassette, yes true, that one was cool and creatively made.

_SAVY_
11-10-2014, 06:20 AM
well but thats not the first time that stone uploads something kinda unfinished the same thing kinda happened to kill crazy jay i think

renZen
11-10-2014, 08:47 AM
i like that tape part , pretty creative, and luffy and rebs part too :) well done bro's :)

X-treme
11-10-2014, 02:48 PM
Thanks to all the people who said they liked the Cassette Tape part, I kind of got it out as quickly as I could, but I'm pretty happy with the end result myself.
Best of luck to the others who entered.

Chinmay
03-09-2015, 10:02 AM
My GOD it was damn scary and awesome animation guyz.