PDA

View Full Version : [WRHG Tournament] : An ill-concieved notion (Round 2)

Lobotomizer
02-13-2015, 01:10 PM
The gears spun and turned, but it made no sense to Bl.An.c.. The bits of metal seemed to work in unison, and yet when he looked again, some were disconnected, moving on their own without reason. In fact, nothing had been making sense from the start. Random objects, a path that never ended. Light from the main cavern that continued to emerge from behind them despite having travelled for almost certainly a fair period of time. Had he not understood that earlier, he did so now.

As if coming in unison at his realisation, the cavern rumbled with an unearthly sound, as if it were growling, snarling. miniature bits of rock dislodged themselves from the ceiling, pelting against the four. The rain of stone grew worse, and pebbles grew to fist sized rock
And with a giant roar, the ceiling collapsed.
+++
“It seems to be working now.”

“‘Seems’ is not the word I wish to hear, Thirteen. Give me an adequate reply.”

“I can’t give more than that,” Thirteen replied sourly, “I’ve managed to reset the setting. we will know when we try to connect to the world again.”

“Audio first,” Seventeen said, “then the feed.”

“Audio.”

There was the flick of a switch, and several bouts of whirring sounds before they settled. Seventeen put on his headphones, notching the volume to the highest.

You disappoint.

He froze. It was a whisper, barely audible even with the volume settings. A woman’s...and none of the gladiators present were women.

“You hear that?” Thirteen grimaced, turning over to the other. It was clear at that point that it was no mishearing on either person's part.

“I wish I hadn’t,” Seventeen scowled, “the feed. Turn it on.”

Thirteen did so without complaint, himself having grasped the severity of the situation. The monitors flickered back to life, of the four gladiators in the same nondescript field, as if nothing had ever happened in the time the feed had failed.

“I’m not buying it,” Thirteen scowled, “that voice. Where could it have been from?”

“I can only say for certain that it was not speaking to us.”

“To the gladiators?”

Seventeen did not make a reply. He brought the microphone to his lips, tapping it once to test before speaking into it.

“The wait is over, gladiators. Allow me to explain the rules of this round to you. The rules are simple; each of you will start from a different place, acquire a certain key along the path, and finally reach the end with the key in hand. The catch is this; there are only three keys, and only three of you will come out victorious. For the unfortunate last...only death awaits.”

There was a muffled sound as he took a deep breath.

“You might wonder what the point of all this is. You came to the system to fight for money. You risk your lives so you may be paid; but then what does this tournament have to offer? Allow me to amend my statements prior; the winner will be a new champion. Not just the glory and fame, but a lump sum as well. Take that as your motivation, if not your will to survive.”

“And finally, I hope you understand that amongst the four of you, only one is a seasoned fighter. He goes by the name of Bl.An.C...knowing that only one will perish, do you not think the strongest should go, in order for you, the weak to have a chance to survive? That is, of course, for you to decide.”

“We will prepare the course in five minutes, and a final debriefing on the routes you are to take. Think of it as a time to prepare.”

There was a click as Seventeen switched off the microphone with an inaudible sigh.

“Watch over them for me, Thirteen. I want each of them to stay put and away from any cannons.”

Thirteen raised a questioning brow, “and where would you be going?”

“To examine things. I have...a hunch. Is all.”

General Information:

The host has generously given an inkling of the next round; only one will be eliminated. Of course, this paves way to the possibility of cooperation. Keep each other alive, and fail the others. Only one will live in the end, but what is wrong with a short lived alliance?

This is a preround. Your objective here is to decide whether your character should or should not form an alliance with others, and in making that decision, convince the other party to follow through or to evaluate them as a possibe ally. Regardless of which, it will once again be a roleplay which will begin on this thread, but there is no necessity for long winded prose; just speech will do. Again, please dictate a course of action which you believe is true to your character, not one which you believe is best. Your characters can discuss anything, but when you believe you have spoken enough or when the deadline is passed, you must state that you are done, and to whom you wish to propose an alliance to.

Finally, I have said it once before, but this necessitates repetition; do not in any circumstance dictate the speech or actions of any character but your own. Failure to comply means that the other writer has free will to ignore whatever was written of his character, as well as strict punishment later on. Do not make this harder than it should be.

Two days will be given, up to three if a consensus is not reached.

Aquila
02-13-2015, 05:07 PM
"What say you that we ditch the monster?" L.L jerked his thumb at the Handyman. "It is just a monster." He looked at the thing, standing tall and gaunt, and winced at the prospect of if it got the key, how they would take it from it. Maybe Venox could convince it to hand it over if needed.

Cassandra
02-14-2015, 10:37 AM
Venox stayed hanging from the ceiling for a long time. Trust was a powerful thing in an alliance... The answer came to him immediately. It was so simple.

"I disagree." the spy hissed. "I've already made my decision. I will stay with the finger-beast, because I know it trusts me."

ErrorBlender
02-16-2015, 11:56 AM
The android thinks on the bounty hunter's suggestion but shakes his head. "Comment: Though I am inclined to agree with your decision; the beast shows more power since total sentience is not with it," the armored scientist stated. "The tournament will force us to fight one another either way if we cannot escape."

"Query: How sure are you, Venox?" Bl.An.C. asked. The jade eye flared alive; in all honesty, he would have sided with L.L. Bust but that would split them equally. The Numbers want a slaughter.

Cassandra
02-16-2015, 02:11 PM
"Sure of what?" Venox asked, smiling inwardly.

He knew that his decision would split them up. He doubted any intelligent creature would find him trustworthy, even if they didn't know he had a spy career. But a beast on the other hand...as much as he didn't like to think he could manipulate it, it was much better than having someone who would stab you in the back the moment you felt comfortable. He kept his face indifferent, watching the bounty hunter and the robot closely.

Aquila
02-16-2015, 05:47 PM
"If the monster is capable of immense strength, then wouldn't it be smarter to get rid of it?" Bust shrugged.

Cassandra
02-16-2015, 06:13 PM
Venox grinned at L.L.'s comment.

"Does the presence of my friend make you nervous bounty hunter? Honestly, I don't care what you two think. I'm sticking with the finger-beast. You two can decide amongst yourselves whether you like him or not...but I do."

Venox took flight and landed on Handyman's shoulder, crouching there like a raven, eyes fixed on Bl.An.C. and L.L.

Aquila
02-16-2015, 09:45 PM
"Anything I cannot analyze or make sense of makes me nervous humanoid." L.L answered. "So yes it does make me nervous. However I don't know if you can be sure its your friend. I doubt such a thing knows what a friend is. More than likely it's just fascinated by you." He looked at Bl.An.C, "So which side are you on?"

ErrorBlender
02-17-2015, 09:08 AM
"Reply: I'm on everyone's side but if the only way to continue is to defeat someone then hesitating won't get us anywhere," he said. The plasma guns hummed and charged powerfully.

"Suggestion: I suggest we don't pick sides as this will lead to betrayal," He said. "The only way is through a free-for-all."

Cassandra
02-17-2015, 09:51 AM
Venox flared his wings, baring his fangs and hissing. The finger-beast didn't deserve to be here. None of them deserved it. But the idea of the monster dying to these other gladiators was too much. He didn't know what else the finger-beast was capable of, but the robot and especially the bounty hunter with his laser cannon, seemed too powerful for the creature to face alone.

Smoke billowed from his back, twisting into serpentine shapes with sharp beaks and glaring red eyes. Screw the wretched Tournament! Screw the Host! The finger-beast was NOT dying, and he wasn't either!

"You two can fight free-for-all if you want!" Venox spat. "I'd rather DIE to this finger monster than to you! You two probably deserve to be here...and I as well, but not this creature!"

RichardLongflop
02-17-2015, 10:05 AM
Handyman wasn't paying attention to the tones of the squabbling people around him. He was just focused on this fly, crawling on his face. He was just sensing it move about, such a tiny thing. Kinda cute, until it went on one of his teeth. The sudden jolt of sensitivity shocked him a little.

He lifted up a great arm and massively slapped himself in the face, his hand clipping Venox's wing as it swung. The shock from the slap caused the creature to fall backwards onto the floor, where it just decided to lay for a while.

ErrorBlender
02-17-2015, 10:07 AM
The armored scientist watched Venox then the finger-beast. "Observation: I doubt it would kill you of all the gladiators here. Dying by its hand is already out of the question for you. You're the only one he's close to in a way and I doubt something as innocent as it would go and kill someone close," he said; plasma guns hummed steadily. "Statement: Additionally, if we deserve to be here then we were chosen. Query: Then with that, why are you here? If there is something dark that keeps us bound in this tournament that makes us eligible for battle-to-the-death then you are as well. And so is it." The pseudo-android pointed to the finger-beast.

"Comment: I am only making the only possible real choice. We fight not to kill but to be free."

Aquila
02-17-2015, 03:19 PM
"Which'll lead to us killing each other." Bust concluded. "If this is hosted by the Host and all that mess, and by what they said, beating someone into submission isn't going to be enough. We will have to kill each other. So fighting to be free or to kill, the lines are blurred enough that it doesn't matter which ideal you're fighting for."

Cassandra
02-17-2015, 04:56 PM
"Fine..." Venox replied, his voice dull and devoid of emotion. "...I will fight..."

He flew up to the ceiling, crouching there, and closed his eyes. Centuries of torture pooled in his mind. He'd been so weak...so helpless... A tear crawled out of his left eye, falling right on the finger-beast's left hand. Concerned, his Darkwings came hovering near him, rubbing their beaks on his head.

"Screw all this." Venox hissed sharply, narrowing his eyes. "I'm sorry...but I will not kill the finger-beast. I..can't...but I know what I can do."

His gaze locked on L.L. and he remembered when he was telling them their abilities...the bounty hunter's body had registered discomfort at the mention of fire... Venox grinned.

"Anyone here afraid of burning?" he snarled, spreading his wings.

Aquila
02-17-2015, 07:16 PM
"Don't you dare," L.L growled, his hand going to his charges. "Trust me I may not be fast, but I'm quick enough to get a charge and unload a cannonball into your winged ass." He popped open the leather pouch and drew his black-striped charge. He popped out the laser charge and fit the other in. "Just try me." He hoisted the cannon onto his shoulder and aimed it at Venox.

RichardLongflop
02-18-2015, 04:22 AM
Noting some conflict going on around him, Handy stood up and attempted to resolve the conflict. This involved reaching a giant arm to pluck Venox from the ceiling, grabbing Bust by the whole body and then slowly brought them in front of him and placed them on the ground, until they were all about a meter apart. He started to stroke their heads, as if to reassure them.

Aquila
02-19-2015, 09:47 PM
"Get your hands off me." L.L spat, shoving Handyman's hand off. Blunderbuss shrank back into its pistol form and he stuffed it into his pocket. The bounty hunter stared at Venox, and flipped him the bird.

Cassandra
02-20-2015, 12:58 AM
Venox was unfamiliar with the gesture, but took it as a threat anyways. With a final hiss, he crept off to the nearest shadow and curled up in it, feeling miserable. He whispered to his Darkwings, and they vanished, leaving him with his thoughts. The bat's eyes thinned to slits, and he secretly watched the android. Its silence probably meant it was planning something. Venox pretended to stare off into space, tensing his wings.

That...incident between him and L.L. felt like a mere glimpse of what was to come. All he had to do was keep his cool. Something was bound to happen without him lifting a wing. There was no sense in having a Tournament with no action...and he was sure the Host knew this too.

ErrorBlender
02-20-2015, 11:24 AM
The armored scientist found the events to be forwarding as planned by the Host. They will all get on each others throats eventually. Speeding the inevitable would do no evil. He tried to get out first with their aid but it ended with nothing.

He sat on the ground, waiting for the next event to occur.

RichardLongflop
02-20-2015, 11:44 AM
Handy realised his attempt at bringing people together failed. So he just gave up with the whole thing and started lumbering off a short distance before sitting down on the floor, wrapping his legs between his giant arms, letting his head fall down onto his knees and waiting.

Cassandra
02-20-2015, 12:23 PM
Venox crouched, idle, bouncing finely pitched echoes off the walls. The sounds came rushing back, but then he straightened up. One of the sounds was...off. He sprayed more sound, and followed the odd noise to a tiny crack in the cave wall. Venox landed near the crack and cocked his head, curious. Folding his wings, he smashed at the opening with sound. The fracture seemed like it twisted deeply into the stone, making a turn out of sight. Did it lead somewhere? He sang into it again, listening hard.

That's when he heard it. A soft, nearly inaudible hum...the sound of tamed lightning.

Lobotomizer
02-22-2015, 12:44 PM
The scene was changing. Not a rapid one that came with the blink of an eye, but a slow, gradual change that built upon the vast emptiness of the plains. It was clear that at that moment, the game was starting.

## Each person will now declare who they wish to propose an alliance to, and a single sentence from the character explaining to the proposed why such an alliance would be beneficial. You can propose to a character who has already proposed an alliance to you. Whether or not the proposed accepts is irrelevant at this point. Do not post a response to any proposal. For the obvious reason of not being able to talk, Handyman does not need to do such.

Aquila
02-22-2015, 08:10 PM
Errorblender, aka Bl.An.C

Being alone isn't a safe option in this tourney and Venox will probably be allying with Handyman so it would be safer to be a pair ourselves as to fight their pair.

Cassandra
02-22-2015, 10:31 PM
Handyman and his gladiator handler, WafflesMgee :D,

"My previous choice stands...I remain with the finger-beast." Venox responded, flying and landing next to Handyman.

## Venox's combat ally, Nightwing, is actually trapped between being in the Tournament and watching from outside of it. He's doomed to observe Venox's situation play out...with no way to help him like he'd promised himself.

##corrections completed

ErrorBlender
02-24-2015, 11:03 AM
L.L.Bust,

"Statement: If an alliance is needed then it'd be best to team up now," he said.

Lobotomizer
02-24-2015, 11:18 AM
Handyman and his gladiator handler, WafflesMgee :D

It may not sound like the best of ideas, but Venox still values the fact that Handyman approached him at the very start of the competition when no one else would.

His original decision had been to go with Bl.An.C., but then he decided against it swiftly when he realized L.L. might also choose the same gladiator.

## Venox's combat ally, Nightwing, is actually trapped between being in the Tournament and watching from outside of it. He's doomed to observe Venox's situation play out...with no way to help him like he'd promised himself.

##sorry for the last minute change Lobotomizer... did I go against the rules again? :P

##No you did not go against the rules for the editing. Yes you went against the part where I specifically stated to write a single sentence from your character and nothing else.

Cassandra
02-24-2015, 12:57 PM
@Lobotomizer

## Edited. I hope I did it right this time. :)

Lobotomizer
02-25-2015, 12:32 PM
The earth rumbled. Trees sprouted from beneath the gladiators' feet. The ground before them rocked and sunk, revealing a deep cutting gorge a hundred so meters down, and in the distance, a tower seemed to spring up, towering above those present. Most important of all, was that the sun had gone down, and only the moonlight granted sight through the pitch black darkness. And if each person turned to look at his surroundings, they would find themselves utterly alone, amongst similar trees.

"Allow me to explain."

The monotone voice of Seventeen boomed from above, almost routine at this point.

"The rules are simple. Gather one key for yourself and head to the end. Once two gladiators have reached the end with a key of their own, they are considered to have won, and the rest, lost and dead."

http://i.imgur.com/fWSe6TR.png

The image of a crudely drawn map was burned in the minds of the gladiators as he spoke, the methods of which he used a mystery.

"There are no tricks. Each bit of land is forested, connected by study bridges...but there is a catch. There are not three keys, but two. One at the top of the spiraling tower ahead of you, and the other...our resident monster himself, Handyman. His position is indicated by the "H". You can either convince him to tag along and he will stay for the next round, or drag his corpse to the end, to which he will be obviously eliminated. I care not for your methods."

"Finally, it would not do for you to know who is headed where; your positions will be known to only you. Information is sacred, after all."

General information:

The task is to navigate through a forested area in the dark, either taking handyman along for the ride dead or alive or climbing through the tower for the key. Write your character's journey to victory through whatever means they see fit. For Handyman, his role as a key means that he will win unconditionally unless defeated. He may hunt a gladiator, follow another, or be attacked himself. His choices are his to make, or forced to be made.

The Tower:

Unremarkable stone tower that has a spiraling staircase leading to the key. The stairs are long, ensuring that any person deciding to head up the route will take an incredibly long time.

The Key:

A giant key shaped stone that has to be held in one hand due to its size, and encumbers its holder.

The End:

The long bridge leads to a small flat land with a poorly made banner with the words "Goal" scrawled onto it. Being there with a key does not guarantee safety until the round concludes.

Limitations:

Flight is disabled as well as any sort of device or ability that may enable fast travel. The only way is walking, and falling off the bridges spells an instant death.

Night Vision and any other ability that aids vision is disabled.

Upholding alliances and betrayals.

Alliances will allow your character to stay alive, as with the other person they work with. However, without a confirmation, they are left guessing if their proposal was agreed to. Your character, if proposed, has the option of upholding the alliance, ignoring it, or betraying the partner. If they were the proposer, they have the option to uphold it, withdraw it, or be betrayed. Note that any scenario will affect your character, and the other's survival.

The numbers:

1: L.L. Bust

2: Venox

3: Bl.An.C

Entertain me.

Perhaps it might be those words that are the goal of this round, as they forced their way into the minds of each gladiator.

Handicaps: Appearing for seemingly no reason, they hinder each gladiator, forcing them to make do with what they have left.

Bl.An.C

Grounded in reality: Every action has its cause. But now Bl.An.C is forced into a reality where nothing is explainable, everything being false. He has lost all sense of direction. The land seems to warp beneath him, and the trees sway as if alive. But being able to touch and feel what should have been a hallucination seemed to suggest it was all real. Even the simplest logic seems hard to grasp now.

"There is no order in chaos", the voice echoes, "accept, or drown in its transiency."

Aloof: Bl.An.C is completely unable to tell the identity of each person. Their voices the same, and their appearance warps when he tries to discern them.

L.L. Bust

Detached: L.L. Bust can no longer keep his emotions in check. They force themselves on him, drowning his own thoughts and guiding his actions. Only strong willpower can keep them at bay, and only just.

Alone: Severe paranoia overcomes L.L. Bust. Betrayal seems imminent no matter where he looks.

Handyman

Starving: It's hunt-a-gladiator time.

Hidden in plain sight: When discovered, Handyman will be seen glowing to the discoverer, making an easy target even in the dark.

Puppeteer and the puppeted: Limbs jerk uncontrollably. Even his tongue now seems unreliable.

Mortality in Immortality: Severe injury to point of being incapable of combat results in dormancy, and subsequently defeat.

Venox

Those who fail to listen: Deafness. Not a single sound can be heard.

Grasping falsities: Hallucinations abound, except they affect all senses. So seemingly real, that they cannot be perceived through.

Knowledge without knowledge: Venox has lost all knowledge of each gladiator's identity, retaining only his previous feelings towards them.

Action without action: Venox's presence and location is immediately noticeable by those within meters of him. His opponents seem to know his every action that he attempts.

To entertain:

The goal is no longer what it seems. It is not to reach the end. It is not to record the entirety of the journey. It is not to overcome given handicaps with trivial effort. It is to entertain. Only creativity is rewarded; following the guidelines is secondary.

Deadline:

Three weeks from now, 19th of March. The maximum word limit is a soft 4000, and a hard minimum of 1000. Breaking the limits will incur penalties so plan accordingly.

Lobotomizer
03-01-2015, 01:05 PM
Deadline has been extended. Do take note.

SJCRPV
03-02-2015, 09:58 AM
Given that Lobotomizer will be absent for a while, I was asked to take care of the round in the meantime.
Just want to tell everyone to send the complete works to me via PM when you're done. Voting will go up on the same day and delayed works will still be accepted, but do keep in mind that you'll have less time to get points.

ErrorBlender
03-08-2015, 03:01 AM
Thanks for the extension, Lobotomizer.