PDA

View Full Version : First actual flash animation in a while: How can I improve?

Flatliner
04-12-2015, 10:21 AM
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/526443354/?ga_submit_new=10%253A1428850601
^ Link.
IŽd like to know how i can improve on this?

Corn
04-13-2015, 11:54 AM
Alright, first of all, learn easing. Easing is where movements accelerate and decelerate. By adding easing in your movements, it would help to make it look more believable and give it a sense of weight.

Secondly, you have to make sure the stickfigures aren't wobbly. You can fix this by making sure the lines go in a certain direction and not all over the place. If the stick figure is going right, make sure the body is going right and not suddenly stopping or going left. When one frame goes out of alignment, it makes it look jerky and the character will twitch. But if all of your frames are not in alignment, it will appear wobbly. Another way to fix it is to double frame. Double framing would slow down the action and it won't look as wobbly but this is applicable more for slower movements.

Thirdly, arcs. Make sure when you animate, your characters movements follow an arc. It will make it look smoother and seem more natural rather than moving in a straight line. Timing and spacing. Keep in mind of that when you animate. The larger the space between the previous and next frame within a short period would make a quicker motion. Smaller spacing within a longer period would make things look slower. Easing in and easing out (accelerating and decelerating) would have the spacings irregular with easing in starting from small spacing to larger spacing and easing out with large spacing to small spacing.

Anticipation. Anticipation is the action prior to the main action and it's usually the action that moves in the opposite direction. It is used to give the audience time to process what's going on and make the main action clearer. An example would be the jump. In your animation, the black stick just jumped without any push. What you can do to improve is to make him crouch before he jumps.

There are a lot more things I could tell you on how to improve on it but the main thing is to keep practicing and learn the 12 principles of animation. There are many tutorials online for you to use and learn from. Don't give up! Keep practicing and you'll do fine! Good luck!

Flatliner
04-13-2015, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the (very detailed!) reply! I will make sure to practice everything you told me :)