PDA

View Full Version : ::{Camila VS Crank}:: [Kyrstal VS Serif] (SPAR)

Crank
05-16-2015, 09:28 AM
Yo! Been a while since I set the tread up, but the reason why there's no poll going on here is because Camila and I agreed to just have a fight for fun, and keeping track kinda defeats the point of that!

Feedback is always greatly appreciated though, and we'd both love to hear what you think, along with were to improve!

Kyrstal (http://forums.stickpage.com/showthread.php?45902-Krystal)VS Serif (http://forums.stickpage.com/showthread.php?92943-The-Haunted-Blade-Bearer)
(Diamond Skin | Bolas, Hunting Knife, Gravity Altering Talisman)

An alarm set at 7pm could be heard across Krystal's house. The girl was siting on a chair as if she was waiting for the alarm to notify her the time, that in one more hour she'd have her first real battle. She closed her eyes and breathed deeply multiple times before opening her sky-blue eyes once again, looking at her hands she said to herself "It'll be ok... this guy doesn't even have a real power like I do. I can win this, I've been training the whole week!" she motivated herself before standing up. Krystal picked up a piece of paper before walking outside of her house. She began to walk as she read the paper once more "Why would he want to fight in a forest?..." she thought before placing the paper back to her pocket "I don't think it matters that much anyways, as long as I do my best I should be able to defeat anyone in my path".

The streets grew silent as the minutes passed, the sun slowly sank behind the mountains and everything was adopting a visible but slight shade of orange. Krystal finally reached the outside of the city, a forest could be seen ahead. She sighed, "He could've been more specific when he mentioned the forest outside the city, we never agreed in which part we would meet specifically...". However she kept walking, trees in all directions were seen around her as she entered the forest. 30 minutes had passed, but she still hadn't found her opponent, all she could hear was the casual chirping of birds and the rustling of branches and leaves. Krystal looked to the mountains, watching the last tendrils of light cast over before the sun disappeared behind the peaks. She stared at it for a few seconds enjoying the view, until an unknown voice made her turn around. The source of the voice came from a man squatting on a branch, staring down at her.

~"You're quite easy to track miss" he said in a relaxed tone

Krystal took a few seconds to answer as she drew close to the tree he stood on.

-"Nice to meet you too"

~"Oh, where are my manners?, my apologies. My name is Serif... you should be Krystal"

-"Indeed..."

Both stood silent for a few seconds, looking directly at eachother's eyes, prepared for battle

-"Are you ready?" The girl said in a rather anxious tone

~"I hope you are" Serif answered with great confidence, his eyes sparkled with the moonlight that was just arising from the horizon.

He smirked and jumped down from the tree onto Krystal with his hunting knife tightly in his grasp. The girl steped back a few feet and spawned a diamond spike about the same size as Serif's knife ready to block the attack the knife screeched against the diamond as both collided and once he landed, Serif turned on his heels and kicked the girl in the stomach pushing her backwards a few feet "He's stronger than what I thought... and... more confident?, why? I am the one with the advantage here". Krystal charged forwards again, still on her normal form but with a weapon on her hands she trusted on her force and natural skills to defeat her enemy. Krystal slashed at Serif multiple times in every possible direction but all of her attempts got either intercepted by his huning knife or simply dodged, in one of her attempts, Serif dodged the slash to one side and slashed with his knife down at Krystal's arm, the knife managed to leave a flesh wound. Krystal jumped back immediately, and looked at her arm. Her skin is naturally hard enough to keep common knifes from getting through her skin, but his guy applied the exact pressure in the exact point enough to cause her damage "This guy..." she frowned "Apparently this won't be as easy as I thought, he's better at hand-to-hand combat than me" she thought as Serif moved around her, she locked her eyes on him as he walked behind some trees, and in the split second he dissapeared. Krystal didn't waste her time and went after him. She ran behind the tree where Serif was probably hidden but to her surprise no one was there, it was in this moment when she started to notice that it was getting very difficult to see between the trees. The sun was about to dissapear from the skies and the moon was slowly rising as stars began to let their spark flood the sky mixing themselves with what was left from the sun's light. Krystal gulped and held her diamond tightly on her hands, looking around her trying to find her opponent... Serif was the one who talked to her this time.

~"You probably came here looking for an easy win... thinking that all the odds were at your favor. But I can asure you that this is the exact opposite situaion"

-"What do yoy mean" the girl answered loudly.

~"Diamond shines intensely with moonlight, it won't be hard to spot you whether or not you're hidding within the shadows. A hunter like me can easily track things in the night, but.... it appears that you lack that skill".

Krystal started to get nervous, a chill ran down her spine, she slowly started to realise that she was the one in great danger.

~"Don't worry... I have no plans on killing you, but I can't promise that my ways to hunt you down won't hurt. Your skin is pretty thick, but as you just realised..."

She held her wounded arm and frowned.

~"...I know the soft spots of a human body, and even for someone like you I know how much force I have to apply to get the result I want".

-"SHOW YOURSELF!!" She replied in anger.

A split second later she heard right next to her "Over here", Krystal gasped loudly and turned as fast as possible, Serif was going at her with his hunting knife directly at her chest, she blocked it with the piece of diamond she had and pushed him away. His sillhouette mixed with the trees' shadows and dissapeared from her sight once again, if it wasn't because he talked to her before charging on she wouldn't have reacted in time. "Why didn't I hear him comming?!". She thought to herself a bit more agitated, her heartbeats were getting faster each second trying to comprehend why he wouldn't make a single noise between so many branches and leaves on the ground. This time she decided to pay attention to the sounds around her waiting for an attack or a clue that helps her spot Serif' location before he reaches her. Sadly, that didn't work. Serif came at her at great speeds and tackled her, she lost her balance and fell to the ground, out of pure adrenaline she managed to stand up on her knees it was then when she looked ahead and saw the man landing with both feet on a tree and impulsing himself towards her once again. Krystal's eyes widened as she noticed that his feet never touched the ground. Making no more sound than a wave of wind both of them clashed once again, the girl couldn't hold her weapon out of the force of the impact allowing the hunter to get yet another slash on her shoulder. The girl rolled a few feets through the ground before standing up again, she was still trying to understand what was happening "Why is he flying? He has no powe-" she stoped herself as she realised the answer and gasped "His amulet!...".

Then another voice came from between the trees.

~"You finally realised didn't you?.... That doesn't change anything tho. You can't hit what you can't see; so, you better start to take this fight seriously, or I'll be the one knocking you out first"

-"Serious as in, get on my diamond state?. No thanks... you and I know that I can't stay like that for much longer than what you can keep on fighting"

~"You will..."

A drop of sweat fell from Krystal's forehead, rolling through her cheek down to her chin, it could be clearly seen by the moonlight "This is bad... he's got way more stamina and physical resistance than me, and I'm already a bit tired. I need to use my diamond state as a last resource, otherwise I'll lose this fight for sure...". Using the same tactic as before Serif jumped from the shadows attacking her by surprise, this time he had something else in hands, a pair of bolas which he was using as a weapon, Serif was the one attcking her several times now "I remember those.... he has 2 kinds of bolas, one stronger than another. For what I can see, Serif is not using the best ones he's got" She thought as she did her best to dodge each hit, his speed decreased slightly due to the weight of his weapon, but he compensated it with powerful and accurate strikes. Krystal spawned a larger piece of diamond, the size of a sword to make sure that those things won't touch her. Several seconds passed, both of them were focused on eachother's movements, drops of sweat could be seen shining with the silver light from the moon and really loud impacts could be heard when her diamond sword clashed against his weapon. Suddenly Serif aimed for her head, but with a decreased seed compared to the other hits. Not questioning why, Krystal simply dodged the attack and rolled to one side, but the bola didn't stop it's movement there. Apparently he was aiming at the tree behind her, the trunk got smashed and broke into hundreds of piece, a few seconds later it began to fall right where Krystal was located. The girl stood up and ran away just in time to dodge the falling trunk, but as soon as the tree touched the ground, Krystal heard a weird noise going towards her. Serif had throw his bolas towards her chest, the weapons impacted on her, smashing her against a tree behind her back. The bolas tied her up to the tree and wouldn't let her move. Krystal struggled to brake free but it was no use, her breathing speeded up so much that it could be heard, she looked in front of her and spoted Serif's shadow slowly walking towards her. The hunting knife reflected the moon's light on her face as if it was saying that this was the end of the line for her.

~"It was a pleasure to fight against you" the man said with grat confidence.

And so, he rushed his way towards her with his blade and aimed at her body, he smirked as the man threw himself trying to deal a fatal blow on her chest. Krystal let out a battle cry and in a split second her skin changed completly, a sky-blue color flooded her entire body and the moon's light was now making her shine even more and just a second later the knife impacted on her chest, doing absolutely no damage to her... the time seemed to stop in that moment, both of them looked directly at eachother's eyes for what felt quite a few minutes, Serif steped behind a few feet and then Krystal pushed herself forwards, and with great effort, the whole tree came out from the ground. Still attached to her back, the girl spin around trying to hit the man with the tree itself. Using his amulet, he was able to jump high in the air to avoid the tree. Applying even more force, Krystal managed to brake the part of the tree where was tied up and finally set herself free.

The battle turned into a race for the girl, once in diamond state her stamina runs out rather quickly. Serif will most likely look for the way to exhaust her to the point of faintimg, "I must end this battle before 'that' happens..." she thought... but how?, it was already difficult to know her opponent's location. And now that she's running out of time he'll avoid physical contact, not considering the fact that someone from a mile away could spot Krystal in that state.

This whole situation was like a maze, and Krystal was the mouse trying to find a way out in the shortest period of time possible, but she doesn't even know if there's a way out. "Think, think. How can I spot him, I know he's hidding around but...". Serif was behind a tree branch at around 15 feet away from Krystal's position, waiting to see if the girl came up with an idea to track him. After a few seconds Krystal's eyes widened... she had an idea, the girl looked at her hands and saw the reflection of the moon and a few starts "Now, let's make things even", Krystal stretched both of her arms and multiple diamond spikes began to grow all around them like a hedgehog. She jumped high in the air and spin a few times as she released all the spikes on her arms in all directions, all of them ended up stabing a tree in the area around her and Serif. Krystal landed on the ground with no problems and with a smirk plastered on her face she stood up looking around. The whole place lighted up slightly more, the diamonds set in different positions and angles acted like small lightbulbs... and mirrors...

Serif looked at one of the pieces of diamond stabed on a tree right next to him ~"What..." he thought as he paid more attention to it, he noticed Krystal in the reflection of the diamond. Meanwhile the girl turned her head towards the same piece of diamond that Serif was looking at "Found you!" She yelled with a wide smile on her face and ran towards the man's location with both of her arms turned into a sort of sword. She jumped in the air and slashed at the trunk, Serif had no option but to get out from his location and jumped onto the next tree in front of him and helped by his amulet he kept jumping from tree to tree. Krystal didn't stay behind, with one arm she spawned a diamond with the shape of a pickaxe to stick to the tree while with the other she shot slightly smaller pieces at Serif, this helped her to keep track on him while trying to land one of her spikes on him. She followed the man for a while, he did his best to block a few of the spikes that were about to impact him, but he couldn't count with the element of surprise anymore, he tried to lose her by changing his trajectory to the left and right many times but the girl always knew where he was thanks to her new strategy. Finally, one of the spikes impacted on his shoulder making him loose his balance and was forced to land on the ground. Krystal followed and jumped onto the ground, she immediately shot multiple spikes around them lighting up the whole place once again. She shifted her arms back to her diamond state, the persecution made her use a lot of energy but at least now she won't let Serif escape.Meanwhile the man took the spike on his shoulder and pulled it out, not saying a word. Giving his back on Kryatal he held the diamond on his hand, blood was sliding down from it until it reached the edge and fell to the ground making a small pool of blood.

~"That was smart girl. I won't deny it..."

Slowly, he pulled out another pair of his bolas, these ones seemed quite more elaborated than the other ones. Made out of a harder material and with more techbology, Serif turned to face Krystal with a smirk.

~"But you'll need more than that to defeat me"

He placed the piece of diamond in one of his pockets and picked up his bolas by the garrote that kept both sides united. Krystal smiled as well.

-"Thanks for the comment, this has been quite a journey for me. You're a formidable opponent and I apologise for not taking this battle serious from the start. You do deserve my full potential and strenght, Serif."

~"I'm flattered, thanks for the comment as well"

Both stood silent for a few seconds, knowing that the battle will be over soon waiting for someone to make the first movement, but this time both of them attacked at the same time launching themselves forwards Serif swung his weapon directed at Krystal's side, the girl received the hit protecting herself with her arm she allowed the bola impact her limb. A really loud noise was heard in yhe surroundings and the shockwave of the impact could be felt by both of them, Krystal felt a small crack on her arm from the hit but immediately after she threw a punch forwards impacting on Serif's stomach, the man got pushed backwards and it left him breatheless for a few seconds but taking the chance to counter-attack he used his amulet and activated the bolas' rockets to throw himself back to Krystal in a much more powerful and faster attack than the one from before "That damn amulet...". She thought as she predicted Serif's intentions "I have an idea... but is gonna hurt like hell later". When Serif was about to impact her, Krystal decided to block the hit with the same arm once again but using her free hand she manahed to take the amulet right before she got launched backwards by the sheer force of the hit. She rolled on the ground several times before hiting a tree stoping her movement, she moaned as she took her arm in great pain, a small piece of diamond fell from it showing a bigger crack than earlier. But between the pain and tiredness, she smiled. Looking at Serif she smiled proudly and showed him the amulet.

-"Don't worry, I'm not gonna use it...if I win this battle, I want to do it using my own strenght and abilities"

And so, she threw the amulet away. Serif held his shoulder as well and noticed what Krystal took from him, he simply smiled and picked up his weapons once again. Not saying a word he used the rockets on his weapons and threw himself forwards onto Krystal. The girl dodged to the side and prepared a punch, Serif blocked it with his bola both of them were testing their might, but Krystal was way stronger than him in her diamond state, Serif then turned on the rockets on the bola making Krystal step backwards a few feet. Gathering all her strenght, she managed to push the bola upwards followed by a sweep kick. Serif fell to the ground and Krystal took the chance to throw another kick, the man rolled as fast as possible and got away from the impact just in time. They kept trading hits, Serif noticed that Krystal's hits weren't as strong as before making him able to either counter-attack or dodge each hit. Krystal knew she didn't have much time left, as she traded hits with Serif she thought on a way to end the fight as soon as possible, but it was really difficult to get in the man's range without getting hurt, "Those damn bolas... is making me waste way more energy than what I thought in each hit. I don't have much time left, I MUST do something.... NOW" Krystal thought as she barely stand on her feet, almost completly drained she began to dodge Serif's attacks instead of being the one attacking. The man smirked knowing that she won't be able to hold it for much longer. With greay confidence he decided to try and finish the battle with one last hit. He backed off a few steps, and positioned his finger on the button that activates the rockets once again looking at the girl directly on her sky-blue eyes, leting her know that he was going full out in this last hit.

Krystal panicked for a second, her legs weren't responding anymore so trying to dodge the hit was out if the question... "No way I can dodge this one... is the battle over for me?..." she thought as the whole scene seemed to go in slow-motion for her "Wait... That's it. I won't dodge it, I know exactly what to do now". Krystal positioned herself in a defense stance, with all her strenght she practically dug her feet on the ground and waited for the attack. Serif didn't hesitate a second, with the victory practically on his hands the man impulsed himself towards Krystal with the rockets on his steel weapons. Determined to follow her plan, Krystal waited until the bola was about to hit her and she stretched both arms in order to catch it. The impact made her feet leave a large trail of dust on the ground after a few seconds she managed to hold the bola on her arms, her diamond chest had small cracks where the bola had hit her and Serif surprised by her actions, tried to pull his weapons back. Krystal refused to let it go, and in a split second she stretched one hand where the button of the propulsor was and pressed it. Krystal and Serif had one part of the weapon on their arms, and they both got lifted into the air above the woods. Then, she let the weapons go, and helping herself by the chain that kept the bolas toghether she made her way to where Serif was. Since there was no use into keeping the weapon, he let the bolas go as well tho Krystal was already mere inches away from him.

Her skin was slowly going back to normal and the fragments of diamond across the forest began to dissapear. The man tried to pull his hunting knife out to which the girl reacted and took it off his hand throwing it above them, Serif instead took the diamond spike he had saved from earlier and before Krystal reached him, he stab her arm with the spike. Completly focused on what she was doing, holding the pain back she continued her plan; she reached his shoulder and from there she grasped him tightly. It was in that moment that Serif noticed what was her intentions were... crush him onto the ground. He tried to set himself free but the girl was strong enough to keep him still with his back facing the ground. Her skin was slowly going back to normal and the fragments of diamond across the forest began to dissapear including the one on her arm. After a few seconds of falling, the impact of Serif and Krystal crushing onto the ground was heard around the woods. A wall of dust covered them for a while like a mist, after it dissapearss Krystal could be seen on top of Serif, the cracks on her diamond skin now turned into deep wounds on her arms and chest. She probably also had a few cracked ribs, however the look on her face showed complete focus, Serif got most of the damage he could barely move and he was pretty dizzy but the man kept his eyes locked on Krystal. The girl lifted her arm into the air and stretched her hand, a second after Serif's hunting knife fell right on Krystal's hand, she slashed directly at the man's neck. He thought it was the end of the line for him and closed his eyes waiting for the blade to dig it's way into his neck... but nothing was happening, he opened his eyes and saw that Krystal had stoped her attack, her breathing was really heavy but with a smirk on her face and blood rolling down her arm she said happily in a really exhausted tone "I win".

The girl got off from Serif, taking his time he slowly began to stand up. Krystal did the same, tho when she finally made it on her feet her eyes closed and fell unconscious. Serif caught her before she touched the ground and smiled. His whole body hurt and he was almost as exhausted as Krystal but the man managed to pick up his weapons and made his way back to the city carrying the girl with him.

Quite a few hours passed and the sun finally arise again, lighting up the horizon and the city, Krystal woke up on what seemed to be an hospital bedroom. With bandages all over her wounds, she looked around and saw a note in a chair next to her bed. Doing her best, she managed to sit up and take the piece of paper and started to read it:

"I'm sorry I had to leave but I'm not good with words. Just wanted to say thanks for the battle, when I thought I had the victory in my hands you kept comming up with the most unexpected strategy and even the odds. We should totally have a friendly match in the future, take care.

~Serif Winters"

Krystal smiled widely, her expression showed satisfaction and greatfulness, "Silly man... I'm the one who should be thanking you" she looked through the window towards the sun, simultanously outside of the hospital was Serif, with a bandage on his shoulder looking at the same direction. He began to walk away with the memories from the battle plastered on his thoughts. Even tho they didn't say good-bye to eachother and that they weren't in the same place anymore , both of them thought as if they were talking to the other:

"Thank you..."

A droplet of salty water plummeted to the earth in a muted splash as exhaustion ravaged its owner. Unable to tell how much was sweat as he stood soaked to the bone solitary on the beach, heavy breaths rolled out of his body like the great waves he had to fight against for the past mile and a half. Bending over on the cusp of collapse, he cracked open the suitcase he was barely able to keep track of in all the chaos, and after taking a trio of parts he slowly rose to his feet, cautiously screwing them together.

A metal spade impaled the sand beneath his boots, beside the bloody blanket binding a man’s corpse. A burning sensation seized his limbs as he shoveled it to the side, and although his body begged for a break, Serif knew fully well it had to be done under the cover of the night. He was an alien on foreign soil who arrived with a dead man, and with his predominantly blue and grey tattoo of the universe, he’d be far beyond easy to identify. Whether people believed his story or not, he didn’t want any attention, let alone that.

A grunt left his body as he threw another scoop to the side, but the next time he stabbed the sand it was to lean heavily against the tool for just a moment to catch his breath. All he could feel was an all encompassing soreness blocking out all of his other emotions. The darkness did nothing for his vision, and even if it didn’t it was blurred anyway while the water in his ears blocked his hearing, as it amplifying his ragged breathing. Struggling, he displaced more sand, and as minutes dragged to hours, lost the strength to give the man a proper burial.

Leaving him in a shallow grave, he covered the blanket-wrapped body before gathering his belongs and parting from it. They were far too heavy for him to get far, but as he approached the treeline he could’ve sworn he saw traces of blue between the oaks. Although he wasn’t convinced his eyes weren’t playing tricks on him, he drew the knife at his side strictly as a precaution. A soft glint reflected from the blade as he unfolded it, but the moment it did the blue strands vanished like a ghost. Far beyond unsettled yet too worn to do anything about it, he slowly lowered himself to be seated on the ground, weary eyes scanning the gaps in the wilderness for as long as he could keep open, but as time dragged like a corpse he had to do struggle just to keep them open. He lost shortly after, and a soft thud resounded as his body fell back on the beach.

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i! i!i!i!

Craving every ounce of sleep that came to him, his brain hardly registered the sun’s gentle kiss as it peaked over the horizon, and as the birds began to sing their tender lullabies to each other, his eyes only shook faster beneath his eyelids in deep REM sleep. Waves rolled along the shore in a peaceful tide behind him, and the soft scraping of a squirrel up a tree etched itself into the rhythm. In direct contrast to the other night, Mother Nature was conducting her harmonic symphony, but it wasn’t until an abrupt man-made solo that Serif awoke with a shock. It was like a bodybuilder struck a snare drum so hard it broke in the middle of a love song, and as the startled Serif brandished his blade his eyes raced along the treeline, scouring for the source of the gunshot.

Cool air glided in and out of his body as he tried calming his breaths, but after a moment, he finally pushed himself upright. It didn’t sound like it came from far, and in all likeliness it was just a hunter like himself, hopefully one willing to trade with him. His empty stomach rolled as he recovered his suitcases, and he knew fully well he wouldn’t be able to find Olivia or avenge Neil without any substance in his body.

His strides were slow as he felt a lack of urgency, but when a scream made animals scatter, he broke into a sprint, ripping a stone bola out from under his leather jacket. Wielding the knot in the center of three foot long cord, his feet pounded against the vegetation below him while he spun it overhead. It barely took a minute for him to see a man lying on the ground beside one of the countless trees, but as he crept forward a grotesque scene entered his view.

The man’s hands were dark red as they lay limp against his chest, having slid down from the tinted blue shard that had impaled him. Crimson was still flowing freely out of the wound as his heart spat out its last few beats, but his flesh was bone white from the blood loss. Having passed into the next life with his eyes open, they stared up at the tree branches above him, casting him in the shadow with only a few strands of light gracing his face. Stepping forward, Serif’s gaze shifted as he saw just how far from peace he was when he passed. It appeared horror was the last thing he felt, dread obvious in his final expression, and with his firearm still holstered, he never even had a chance. If nothing else, at least it seemed quick...

Feeling his empty stomach twist as he bent down, the tattooed hunter reached out to the murder weapon, which slid out smoothly, bringing bubbling blood out behind it. It reminded him of a sapphire, but he’d never seen one of that size, let alone one shaped out like a double sided spike. Drawing his knife and rolling the weapon in his palm for a moment, he suddenly slashed at the stone, sharp edge leaving no trail behind it despite it’s quality.

“So it could be a sapphire.”

Unaware who, or even if he was talking to anyone as he began to rise, a noise in the distance alerted his body to action. To a soft crunch paired with a faint ‘whoosh’, he snapped back into a crouch as wind rushed against his scalp from something flying over his shoulder before it’s velocity died by impaling the tree in front of him.

Breathing in heavy, he sheathed his weapons as he twisted his neck to the source of the attack, cold eyes unamused. They met a gaze of absolute determination. Almost thirty feet away from him, a young woman held her ground like a warrior, her right hand sky blue and crystallized like the shard he found embedding the man’s heart. The entire arm was still outstretched from the throw, with her opposite foot planted before her to give it the maximum power. Her slender frame didn’t seem to affect its blinding speed, nor her short stature of a rough five feet. Her cyan hair draped messily over her shoulders and her dull clothing was beaten and worn, although it was stained more in dirt than blood, but with range like that, it wouldn’t be hard to stay clean.

A bit out of breath however, it took her a moment to speak. “I knew I should’ve done something when I saw you on the beach.”

“Yes. You should’ve.”

For a moment, nothing moved. Not even the wind whispered as electricity passed between their eyes, opposites staring each other down. One man and one woman. One with her own magic and the other with another’s. One innocent… and one who had killed them. They were Yin and Yang, ready to rush forward and shatter the balance in one cataclysmic collision.

Yin moved first. Shoving his feet off the earth in a swift dash, Serif ripped a bola from his vest, spinning it overhead as the blue haired woman backpedaled, quickly materializing and launching a spike in kind. Ducking to the side he avoided it with ease, but with the snap of his wrist paired with a quick release, his tool flew at her with a terrifying velocity, stones revolving in a blur. The girl did her best to dive out of their way, but the rope connecting them ensnared her right calf, and as the other rock coiled around the left, they slammed together in violent force, wailing her ankles into each other. A yelp expelled from her lungs as she impacted the ground, but as she skid across the dirt, dozens of crystalline spikes pierced through the bottom few inches of her trousers. The rope binding her was reduced to ribbons in an instant, and as she rolled to her feet, a flash of light warned her to an incoming slash.

Birds scattered as a clang ruptured the silence, alarmed caws and the sudden beating of wings stirred chaos as Serif recoiled from the block, barely able to recover his balance. Seeing her left fist jab forward he was quick to slap it down, sidestepping into her personal space before following up with an elbow strike quick as a cobra. Impact however, brought forth an intense regret, agony pounding violently into his arm as though he’d struck a stone wall, eyes clenching as his knees buckled, but as the girl stumbled back from the force, pulsing adrenaline seized him. Lunging forward to follow up, he ripped his knife in an upwards arc, carving a line through the air as the stumbling girl tried thrusting her forearms together to shield her face.

She wasn’t in time, and a gasp as sharp as his weapon left her as Serif felt the resistance of the her chin against his edge. Stomping his left foot firmly on the earth, he pressed every ounce of power he had into tearing it up her features, finally losing his traction as the blade struck her cheekbone, dislodging from its path in a thunk as she fell to the ground in a sprawl, palms gripping her face. She rolled to her stomach as Serif’s boots crushed the grass between them.

“Tell me your name.”

Her voice was muffled, but the disdain was clear. “Why?”

“Because I wish to know who I’m speaking with.”

Slowly, she pushed herself up with her elbows, sliding a knee up to her waist, head still bowed. “Krystal.”

The tattooed man approached her side, still clutching his blade. “I’ll make you a deal, Krystal. I don’t care about you or what you’ve done, but I’m looking for someone. If you help me find her, or give me any information on how to do so, I’ll walk away.”

“Her?”

“She’s a witch, same as you, but about half your age and she hasn’t been here more than a day. Have you heard anything about her.”

Slowly, Krystal pushed herself to her feet, shoulders rising and falling as she seethed. “I would die before I help someone like you, find someone like me.”

“Don’t make me test your mortality.”

Finally turning around, she looked at him with death in her eyes, but Serif stiffened when he saw the pink streak spanning from her chin to cheek. It looked more like someone gently dragged their fingernail down her face rather than the blade that should’ve sliced her to the bone. There wasn’t even a speck of blood anywhere along the path. Grinning at the first look of shock she gave him, her entire body changed in a gleaming flash, instantly going from flesh and bone to pure crystal with what little strands of light that broke between the trees shimmering through her. “Still think you can?”

“Yes.”

Neither party waited for the other that time around, the very moment Serif shut his mouth Krystal fired a spike at him, grazing his upper arm as he slid to the side. Wincing as his blood sprayed like a gunshot and pain burned through him, he yanked another bola out from within his vest, this one with a five foot long cord connecting the two stones. Another gem sped at him as Krystal jerked her arm forward, but as Serif weaved to the side he prevented further damage to his shoulder by bashing it to the earth with a stone while his other hand gripped the cord.

Twisting it around his palm, he arced it at the girl like it was a ball and chain and smashed it into the side of her head, but with all of her natural armor it barely even registered. Not even staggering half a step, she charged him, cocking her fist back as she leapt into the air.

Crystallized skin or not, she could feel the wind beating against her speed, sending ripples through her hair, but when her enemy crouched low and braced himself for impact, she turned to a backup plan she didn’t even know she had. Under a half foot from collision, tiny spikes rose up from her skin like thousands of thorns protecting a delicate flower, leaving Serif no time to amend his strategy or get out of the way.

The woman’s fist propelled forward like a rocket, but the hunter’s right hand ensnared her wrist while the left caught her elbow. The spikes dug into his flesh like talons, but while he twisted his back and launched her over it, her body felt like a cheese grater, shredding his back while she rolled up it, peeling countless strands of skin behind her and leaving them to dangle like red ribbons when he finally slammed her into the ground. Agony quaked his body as he fought the urge to scream and as warmth trickled down his back he fell to his knees. His breathing was practically in vibrations as he did all he could to stand, but with her ego the only thing she had bruised, Krystal beat him to the draw by a long shot.

“Why don’t you just stay down?” It was hard for him to focus, but Serif could almost detect genuine curiosity in her voice, “Everything you’ve done to hurt me, just hurts you more.”

“Because I didn’t come here to die alone.”

Die? Krystal blinked rapidly as his words froze her. Serif had spent their entire encounter fighting like a savage beast, how could he feel his life was at stake? Perplexion shrouded her thoughts as the man began pushing himself upright, his arms shaking horribly as he struggled to manage his weight. There’s no way he can see me as the villain in all this… is there? Heck, he’s the one who charged me after I threw the warning shot!

Shaking her head, she rid her mind of the thought as she paced towards him, sweat dripping down his scalp as he finally pushed himself up like a man about to be knighted.

“What happened to the other hunter?”

The question didn’t even register for Serif, his brain already overloaded with trying to block out his screaming nerves and concoct a desperate plan to turn the tide in his favor.

“Hey.” Her softening tone fell on deaf ears.

She doesn’t cut... She doesn’t crack… What does she do? The eye of the inked warrior twitched as he rose his gaze from the ground, meaning to look her in the irises but stopping suddenly when he saw movement from her chest. ...She breathes.

It took her a second for her to follow his gaze, but as soon as she did the horror struck that her clothing may have fared as well Serif’s flesh. Her gaze shot down to check as her flustered arms closed in to cover anything, but investing everything he had into one final ploy Serif dashed forward, ripping her feet out from under her while bolting to the nearest tree. Her swift faceplant with the dirt dulled her gems, but when she kicked back up to her feet and spun around, her foe was already nowhere to be seen.

“...There’s no way.” Arising cautiously, her gaze carefully strode to the trunk of the local oak, glancing around all 360 of its degrees before averting her eyes to the thick forest in front of her. Close as it was, she sincerely doubted Serif had the energy to sprint the extra thirty feet to hide somewhere else, and with how badly he was struggling to even stand, climbing the oak felt out of the question as well. Just as a precaution, she did look up, but seeing branches full of nothing but leaves confusion began consuming her, worry forming as it eroded her courage. “If you could disappear you would’ve done it before this…”

Taking a few strides away, the girl began checking over her shoulder. But what if she was wrong? What if he could? Questions began spiraling down her brain as the seeds of fear wirl-pooled into a full blown paranoia. Her hair thrashed behind her as she began jerking her neck at a more accelerated speed, but no matter how hard she looked, nothing but shadows moved.

A paralysis seized her as the thought repeated itself in her mind. It had to be the wind, it just had to. Unwilling to risk being wrong however, once she summoned her bravery she pivoted back to facing the oak.

“Hello?” Scouring the branches once more, her rapid heart began slamming into her diamond frame. “Where’d you go?”

Silence.

Grass crunched gently under her weight as she pressed forward, eyes dipping to its shadows, but nothing could be made out beyond the trunk. An army could be hiding in the massive silhouette the branches cast and she’d never know. The realization was far from comforting.

But the godless snap that followed was outright horrifying. Without warning a branch thicker than her head was wide and several times longer than her entire body broke at the base like an arm caught by an ax, and still like an arm caught by an ax, scrapes of wood and bark clung to it like muscle and tendons. The hundreds of branches attached to it swayed in the wind, and even though she still lacked a good vantage point on it, there was no other explanation beyond it being Serif’s doing… and if it was, it was likely for good reason.

Not wanting to even give him another second to do what he was planning, she broke off into a sprint, eyes wide and on full alert as she stared up at the branches. The broken one dangled about thirty feet off the ground on the tree’s left, and while she bolted to its direction, the leaves around it ruffled.

Dipping back into their cover, their dewy petals cooled the sweat soaking Serif’s head as he leaned back against the trunk. Slow, deep breaths passed through him as he tried recovering his energy, and with nothing under his feet, magic was the only thing keeping gravity from ending him. A warm glow radiated from under his shirt as his opal pulsed, nullifying Earth’s effect and instead gifting it to the bark he leaned against. Staring at the ground below for the girl, his hands clutched two things, a stick as long as his arm, and the crystal he retrieved from the corpse.

He barely had to wait for her to cross his vision, but as soon as he saw her, she did the same, blasting a diamond up at him as his opal’s light faded, gifting him to gravity. Twisting to the side, the gem flew past him without harm, but as he neared suicidal speeds his gem began glowing once more, and arching his back, he went from freefall to a sprint down the trunk. Another spike sped his way but he beat it to the side like a baseball with his stick, but as he reached a breathtaking velocity, Kyrstal decided it’d be in her best interest to move.

By the time she broke off to tear into the distance, Serif pressed off the trunk, hitting the ground running as Earth’s gravity took over what his necklace provided. He only had three strides before he lost his footing, but it only took two for the girl to be in the range of his stick. Spinning as swiftly as he could, the bark smashed against her cheek, obliterating the wood to splinters as the impact launched her off her feet moments before Serif’s feet couldn’t keep up with his speed.

Tucking into a ball as he stumbled over, the man took the brunt of the blow with his left shoulder, bouncing like he’d been hurled out of a speeding car as Kyrstal stuck the ground under the tree’s shadow. Gripping her skull as it throbbed for the first time that fight, her fingers traced for cracks while she took a rare moment to catch her breath. She could still hear Serif’s body beating against the dirt, but as he finally slowed he managed to skid to a stop. On his hands and knees, both oozing crimson as the forest floor scraped against them like cement, one still clutched his gem.

Blinding adrenaline was leaving his shaking body numb from the fire blazing through his countless gashes, but his blue eyes didn’t waver from the dangling branch. He felt as though time was crawling as he drew the spike back, suddenly thrusting it forward like he was in the major leagues. Sharpened tip spiraling like a drill, it rushed through the wind before greeting it’s target with swift impalement. The last strands of bark cracked from the force, and as the branch’s weight became too much to hold, the rest of the wood snapped, leaving it to plummet down at the girl.

Despite all of her training, terror gripped Kyrstal’s heart as she desperately tried to scamper to her feet, fingers clawing against the ground as she thrust herself forward, but the colossal branch slammed down on her spine before she could escape its shadow. A shrill scream ripped through the forest to her shock, and as the branch’s colossal weight pinned her to the earth panic began setting in. Desperately, she tried to thrash wiggle and worm her way out, but all of her attempts were in vain, only succeeding in wearing herself out. Sweat dripped down the side of her head as her mind began ripping her spirit apart. She couldn’t stay in her diamond form for long, so what would happen when she changed back? It was the only thing keeping her chest from being crushed, but even if she could still breathe after, she had no allies out here and she was being hunted like an animal.

No help would be coming for her. The realization struck her like a fatal wound, paralyzing her struggle as her brain desperately scrambled to prove her wrong. Nothing came to mind, but as she felt herself growing weak she opened her mouth with one final plea.

“Someone please help!”

A trail of blood followed Serif as her cries fell on his deaf ears. Adrenaline fading, he could hardly move as the full force of his anguish radiated from every piece of his body. It felt like he’d been slammed into a coffin of nails, but as unbearable as the pain was, he knew giving into it would forfeit his survival. He was only even able to move by limping from one tree to the next, and having to catch his breath after each stagger.

He ignored the question at the time, but now it was the only thing echoing within him, growing louder and louder on a constant loop. Initially he suspected she was referring to Neil, but his partner never left the blanket he was wrapped in. She’d have no reason to suspect it was his profession.

But if it wasn’t him, that only left two other possibilities. She either didn’t know how the man in the woods had died, or there was someone with him whose fate was uncertain.

Hypothetically, if there was a third, where was he at the time of the fallen man’s death? If Kyrstal had killed the first she would’ve seen him run, in which case she’d know, and the only way that she could think Serif knew was if she thought he met them while they were alive.

The only time he was with either of them was when he was crouched over the deceased, clutching what did him in. And that’s where she saw him.

“I would die before I help someone like you, find someone like me.”

“...You didn’t do it...”

His body twisted slowly, heavy pants still flowing out of his system like crashing current. Without any strength for speed he hadn’t made it far from her, maybe fifty feet at maximum. Groaning as his body ached, he began making his return, boots dragging along the dirt as he lacked the strength to lift them fully.

“Don’t be stupid.”

Craning his neck, Serif’s blurry vision drifted to the voice of a stranger, a bearded man dressed in camouflage with a rifle slung over his shoulder. He was as tall as a tower, standing an entire head and a half above the tattooed hunter, but even while he advanced Serif continued pushing forward to Krystal. Half because he knew if he stopped, he may not be able to move again.

“The only reason you’re alive right now is because you chose to walk away. Do you see that girl you’re killing?” The man gradually extended a filthy digit towards Krystal, the diamonds coating her body gradually fading as she prioritized the ones around her torso. Her limbs were quaking as she continued to fight against the crushing weight on top of her, but it was a losing battle and she knew it. She just refused to die quietly. “A drop of her blood to the right people is worth more than a house of gold. Turn around, I’m done dealing with people who can’t see that.”

“Tell me. How much of our fight did you see?”

“All of it.”

“So you hide while other men fight your battles. You’re a coward, and I have nothing to fear from you.” Stumbling the last few strides, Serif finally arrived back to the branch, Krystal growing limp underneath it, “And you should know you have everything to fear from me.”

Crouching to lift it up as his palms wedged under the bark, a massive palm suddenly slammed down on it.

“Move your hand.”

Glancing to his right, Serif watched the stranger lean forward, his massive shadow casting him into the shade. “Do you have any idea who you’re talking to?”

“I threw a man in the ocean, crossed two corpses and came close to fighting to the death, all in the past twelve hours. I don’t care who I’m talking to, but if you don’t move your hand, I’ll turn it into a stump.”

He received a scoff in reply. “I would love to see you try.”

The melodies of nature were playing behind Serif as he washed his blade, a crimson stream snaking along with the waves as he scrubbed it submerged back at the beach. Scraping the last bit of blood off with his handful of sand, he finally wiped it against the mass amount of bandages wrapping him like a mummy, only red as his open wounds still bled through the gauss. Limping back to his luggage, he exchanged his first aid kit, now half used up, for a fresh shirt, sliding it over his broken body.

Slowly closing it, he heard a feminine voice groan beside him. Turning his gaze, he did his best to keep his voice soft. “Are you alright?”

It didn’t help. The girl went from groggy to jolted, diamonds lining her entire body before she was even to her feet, but her startled eyes became more confused as she saw there was nothing in place attempting to keep her in place. Serif didn’t react to her reaction either, still standing coolly with his arms at his sides. Although lowering her guard, albeit a bit, she left her shimming coat on as a precaution. “...I guess?” She scratched the back of her head as her eyes wandered. It looked like the same beach she’d first seen him. “What are you doing?”

“Trying to apologize. I was wrong to judge you. You have a fiery passion to do what you view as right, and I nearly snuffed it out. I’m sorry Krystal. I’m sorry I attacked you, I’m sorry I walked away, and I’m sorry I judged you. No one deserves that.”

For about a minute, she just stood there, staring blankly at the man. He sounded genuine, but at the same time… Gradually, her diamonds faded back to flesh as her arms crossed, looking the man in the eyes with her neck tilted. “You mentioned a girl before.”

“Olivia,” The man nodded, “I swore an oath to protect her, along with another man in her journeys. She has an adventurous heart which led her here, but…” His eyes drifted to the ocean, waves rolling against the shore, “...I was separated from them. I know the man is dead... but her fate is unknown to me.”

Krystal was quiet for a moment, trailing his gaze before looking back at him. “And what’s your name?”

“Serif Winters.”

The young woman nodded once more, sounds of the current overtaking their conversation as they stood in silence. Gazing at him as he stared onward, his sense of duty radiated from his dominant posture. He was almost like a knight, the swirling stars of his tattoo being his armor and his mission being his code. He’d even fought an impossible battle with the refusal to back down, and then didn’t sell her out when he discovered her worth, despite how much it could buy him in his quest.

Hearing her shifting uncomfortably, Serif looked down to her, eyes softening.

“Serif… Thanks for coming back for me. I’m… I’m honestly not used to being helped.”

===============================================
A soft prod was all it took for the man to burst from his deep sleep like Jaws breaking through the surface in a vengeful dive. Quick as a lightning bolt, his palm seized on his knife and his body lunged upright, but as soon as he did the man before him jumped back with a yelp, joining the two men behind him as he lost his footing and fell to the ground. Unease set into his rumbling stomach upon the realization all three where heavily armed in camouflage, but when the two still standing chuckled the feeling waned. Cautiously he arose as the startled man tried scampering back up, cheeks beet red and brown eyes averting everyone else’s.

Shaking his head, the man on the right stepped forward, reaching out an open palm. “Bit of an odd place to sleep. Mind if I ask why you chose it?”

“Yes.” Obviously not in the best mood after being woken up, the heavily tattooed man’s icy blue eyes glared at the limb until it retracted.

“Okay, so you’re not a morning person. That’s fair,” Pocketing his hand, he used the other to sling his assault rifle over his shoulder, “I do have another question for you though. Know your way around these woods?”

“No.”

“...Okay then.” Glancing to the men behind him, he shrugged before heading back, but before he could pass them the last to speak blocked his path. “Come on Oscar, we don’t need him and he’s obviously not going to help us.”

“You only say that because you have no idea what we’re up against.”

“Some crystal monster. I wipe my shoes on a bear every time I walk home, I’m honestly not worried.”

“You should be.” Stepping around him, Oscar took his turn approaching Serif, who by then had his arms tightly crossed despite still wielding the knife. “Tell me stranger,” A slow grin crept up his face as he began speaking as though he was trying to be as seductive as a succubus, “Do you want to be rich beyond your wildest dreams?”

“No.”

His face fell on the spot. “No?”

“No.”

Oscar squinted in perplexion. “Do you want like, any money?”

Serif’s glare hardened.

“Or anything?”

He tried to stop it, but without having any substance in his body since lunch the day prior, his stomach let out a low grow.

“Lenny! Get this man a sandwich!”

“You think you can buy me with cheese, bread and meat?”

“I’m actually vegetarian, so technically it’s just bread tomato and lettuce. And I don’t like cheese”

The look of a disappointed father made it’s way to Serif’s expression.

“But in answer to your question,” Oscar resumed as the man Serif had scared half to death rummaged through his backpack, “Consider it a sign of good faith. We’re hunting a monster, the likes of which you have never seen-” The tattooed man’s eyes half shut in unamusement, “-Which we can sell for a killing if we capture it, or sell the gems that glitter its flesh for almost as much. Can you honestly say you want to live and die off this land? Because without money you won’t get far.”
================================================== ==========
His strides were slow as he felt a lack of urgency, but when a scream made animals scatter, he broke into a sprint, ripping a stone bola out from under his leather jacket. Wielding the knot in the center of three foot long cord, his feet pounded against the vegetation below him while he spun it overhead. It barely took a minute for him to see a man lying on the ground beside one of the countless trees, but as he went for a closer look a stick snapped to his left and reflex possessed him like a demon.

In a singular, fluid motion, Serif twisted his body to it while his arm snapped forward, launching his projectile. The stones spun like a top as they sped through air, only to ensnare a pair of legs a few yards later, slamming them together as the force pulled them off the dirt they were planted on, leaving the owner to slam headfirst where he once stood. A groan drifted from his body as he clenched the firearm he fell on with his bloody palms, but before he could pull himself up and aim it, a boot stomped it back down as a cool steel found his throat.
================================================== ==================
“He didn’t shoot, if that’s what you’re thinking.”

Arising slowly, Serif turned to face the speaker, standing a rough ten feet before him with a rifle slung over his shoulder. A light layer of blood turned his white shirt red, and despite having tried wiping it off, his palms were the same color. Something was obviously wrong, but the stains he had didn’t match his weapon, nor was there enough splatter to indicate a gunshot wound, even had there not been a delay between the blast and scream. Both men held their ground as an intensity filled the air, but when Serif’s harsh tone pierced it, it hardly diffused the mood.

“Tell me who this is.”

“You see a corpse and your first thought is who it is, not ‘Time to go’?”

“I see a man, who judging by his weaponry and clothing is obviously not a hunter, and my first thought is ‘What led him to the woods to die’.”

The stranger across from his scoffed and began pacing to the side. “Alright, I’ll give you that. Evan Hemingway, and ignorance did.”

“You need a better explanation than that.”

The man smirked slightly. “He was a mercenary, and I hired him to help me find the person who could make these,” Slowly, the stranger dug into his pocket, brandishing a half foot long crystal sharpened to a point on both ends, one of which was tinted purple while the rest remained a clear blue. “She goes by Krystal, if you can believe that. About a month ago she killed a friend of mine, and with the bullets from his own damn gun. She’s a freak and a killer, but the biggest payday you’ll see in your life. You want to guess how much you can get from one of these things?”

Serif stood silent, arms crossed tightly against his ribs.

“Thousands. If not tens of thousands.” The man paused for a moment, leaving the number to penetrate Serif’s imagination. “Now normally I don’t ask this, but my partner died and in my experience, people as inked as you know how to fight. So. Wanna be rich?”

At first nothing took, but while he knew was stranded unless he found Olivia, the realization suddenly kicked in that he’d never find her without resources. If nothing else he’d need information, and if he didn’t want to press a knife against every man woman and child’s throat, he’d need an alternative reason for them to confide in him. Shoulders tensing as he felt himself being bought, his intense eyes locked on the man across from him. “Tell me then. Do you seek her for greed,” Serif took a slow step forward, “Or vengeance?”

“I ‘seek’ her, because her kind needs to be cleansed from the earth.”

“And what kind is that?”

“Freaks, monsters. Whatever the hell you want to call them.”

“Witches?”

“I suppose you could say that.”

Serif’s internal fire thrashed as the man chuckled at his own comment, but he somehow contained it internally, like a gas leak in a water heater.

“So, what do you say we tie a noose for the one that got away or not?”

As the treasure hunter reached out an open hand to him, Serif’s heartbeat quickened, feeling each pulse like a buildup of steam, screaming for a spark.

“Come on, let’s finish what Salem started.”

Ignition came in a sudden rush. The two were already close to one another, but the moment the man closed his mouth, Serif shot forward, slashing his elbow like a cutlass into his jaw and drawing the blood to match. It burst out like a small explosion as his foe spat it upon impact, along with the fractured tooth that let the red gush into his mouth so quickly. Caught off guard with no chance to keep his balance, he hit the dirt beside a tree trunk, but when he scrambled to aim his firearm a heavy boot rammed into his face. The cartilage in his nose nose shattered with a sickening crunch, and as he fell limp the gore from it flowed freely into his beard.

“Don’t jest about the Trials.” Dark shadow looming over the man, Serif bent over slowly, open palm reaching out and seizing the crystal from the earth, but as he arose a ‘whooshing’ sound like a speeding arrow pierced his ears. Dropping down like a stone instead, he felt a stream of air flow past his scalp as something sped overhead, impaling a tree behind him in vengeful force.

Rageful gaze snapping at the source, they were met in kind by a look of pure determination. Almost thirty feet away from him, a young woman held her ground like a warrior despite being barely five feet tall. Her stance was that of a boxer, knees bent with her left foot planted forward and arms up guarding her face. Although she lacked the weight and muscle mass of a soldier, the blue diamond shards coating her right hand like a glove made it irrelevant, but also served to emphasize the bright sapphire hair behind them.

“I was hoping to see you again,” Serif’s voice was cool as ice as he lifted to his feet, drawing a bola out from under his vest.

“You and me both,” Light glimmered from the girl’s palm as her crystals expanded into a spike, “I never should’ve left you on that beach.”

“And I shouldn’t have watched you go.”
================================================== =====================
“Come on Krystal, what’s the matter with you!” Winded from her recent run, her spoken thoughts came out in ragged breaths as she leaned heavily against a tree, “There are two killers out there and you just ran?” Sliding down the oak to a seated position, both her petite hands found their way to her face, fingers running through her sky blue hair as he turquoise eyes clamped shut. The only reason she was even out here was in the hopes of meeting another gladiator to share in her plight, but instead she just saw one man burying another in the dead of night, and then the second killing hardly happened an hour ago.

A pair of men had found her, but when one raised his gun at her, his partner knocked it to the side, sending a bullet into a nearby tree. He told her- ordered her to run and then- and then he was killed…

She didn’t see it, but she sure as hell heard it. Her entire body quaked as the vivid memory of his sudden shriek repeated itself deep within the confines of her mind, and even as she shook her head violently of the thought, she just couldn’t shake the memory.

She shouldn’t have listened, she was braver than that, she was tougher than that and she could’ve saved him.

Her fist pounded into the dirt beside her as she heaved heavy exhales out of her body. Maybe these weren’t the woods to find a friend in, but that didn’t mean she could just let enemies walk. Whoever they were, they were dangerous, but she was more capable than most. Gripping the bark beside her, she pulled herself upright once more.

She had to stop them before they could do more harm.

The Strongest
05-17-2015, 11:58 PM
So, comments for the first piece:

Some of your stuff could use line editing. I think you missed some typos that spellcheck would have pointed out to you.

Although the training bit is useful for establishing Krystal's early confidence, it doesn't seem to come into play. Her successes come out of a clever tactic and a willingness to take a hit for greater returns. It just seems like words that could have been spent some other way.

A lot of your battle paragraphs are too long, both in actual length and in the way your wrote the sentences.

The girl steped back a few feet and spawned a diamond spike about the same size as Serif's knife ready to block the attack the knife screeched against the diamond as both collided and once he landed, Serif turned on his heels and kicked the girl in the stomach pushing her backwards a few feet "He's stronger than what I thought... and... more confident?, why? I am the one with the advantage here".
is...way too long for one sentence, I think. I can see pretty clearly where it could be broken up into shorter sentences, and your not doing so didn't add anything as far as I can tell.

I like the tactic that was used to turn the fight in Krystal's favor. I don't think I would have thought of it, so there's that for what it's worth.

I'm not so much a fan that it seemed that Serif fell for the same trick twice. The first time when he lost his amulet, and then the penultimate move.

Some of your tone was immersion breaking. The use of "way stronger" and then at the end, "should totally have" were both...just odd choices of words. You were only missing using "like" as a comma to pick up the hat trick. Serif, especially, didn't seem like the kind of character that would use totally in the way you had him use it at the end, given how you had characterized him up to that point.

Hewitt
06-01-2015, 09:59 PM
An alarm set at 7pm could be heard across Krystal's house.

So the alarm was set outside Krystal's house?

The girl was siting on a chair as if she was waiting for the alarm to notify her the time

This metaphor makes no sense. If you were sitting on a chair in the context of hearing an alarm, you can only be waiting for an alarm. To use as if is useless in this context.

She closed her eyes and breathed deeply multiple times before opening her sky-blue eyes once again

So she just inflated herself multiple times and never let any of that air out. Also, I detest describing eye-colors unless its significant. It is not and people often do this as a form of characterization. It's lazy, and not exactly unique either.

She sighed, "He could've been more specific when he mentioned the forest outside the city, we never agreed in which part we would meet specifically...".

Who the heck is she talking to, surely not the readers... There are such things as thoughts, you know.

However she kept walking, trees in all directions were seen around her as she entered the forest.

Because you never know when you might be surrounded by candy canes when you enter a forest. No, let's walk into the part where there are trees.

all she could hear was the casual chirping of birds

As opposed to violently chirping? Or serious chirping? *CHIRP CHIRP MOTHERFUCKER*

watching the last tendrils of light cast over before the sun disappeared behind the peaks

Maybe you were trying to give another word for "ray"? Because a tendril is a really bad metaphor for light cast from the sun. It's thread-like and curved. It's like Cthulhu is the sun now and he's retracting into this shell.

She stared at it for a few seconds enjoying the view, until an unknown voice made her turn around. The source of the voice came from a man squatting on a branch, staring down at her.

Why even mention that the voice is unknown, if he's going to be standing right there anyway? A better way would be to have him speak instead of telling us that a voice is there.

his eyes sparkled with the moonlight that was just arising from the horizon.

First, the sun had just set mere minutes ago, how could the moon already be rising. Second, the moon is not bright enough to reflect someone's eyes, much less SPARKLE. Third, Krystal is standing below him a few distances away. Theres no way she could even see this reflection even if she squinted.

"He's stronger than what I thought... and... more confident?, why? I am the one with the advantage here".

As if the fact that he was taunting her this whole time by tracking her quietly and not saying a thing wasn't already a hint to his confidence to begin with.

Krystal and Serif slash and dodge alot.

Boring. And lazy. Come on. This isn't an RPG Battle. And this is actually a common peeve that all newbie writers seem to do is that if they just kept putting offense and defense in their paragraphs, the battle will just form in our heads. No.

Describe where the blade is going. What emotions are taking place. What subtle body movements are happening. How sharp those things are as they almost end up embedded in someone's skin.

Serif dodged the slash to one side and slashed with his knife down at Krystal's arm, the knife managed to leave a flesh wound. Krystal jumped back immediately, and looked at her arm.

Her skin is naturally hard enough to keep common knifes from getting through her skin, but his guy applied the exact pressure in the exact point enough to cause her damage

This doesn't flow well. We are expected to know that Krystal's skin is already initially hard. So when that knife strikes down, we are expected a narration of the knife piercing through hardened texture, much less Sarif's application of such force. Instead we are left with "oh its pretty strong. I dont normally feel it but now I do."

"This guy..." she frowned "Apparently this won't be as easy as I thought, he's better at hand-to-hand combat than me" she thought

See, the vague slashing description now comes back to haunt Camila. Because we are never given a true picture of the knife fight, we are given a questionable description into Sarif's skill and thus, Krystal's own skill level.

she locked her eyes on him as he walked behind some trees, and in the split second he dissapeared. Krystal didn't waste her time and went after him. She ran behind the tree where Serif was probably hidden but to her surprise no one was there, it was in this moment when she started to notice that it was getting very difficult to see between the trees.

But apparently not the very specific tree she spotted Sarif disappear into. How can you seriously lose someone while locking on them. Much less, how could Krystal know which tree he disappeared to if she mentioned that he lost him in the first place? That means she *did* spot him but oh so conviniently doesn't just as she checks the tree that she knew he was headed into.

The sun was about to dissapear from the skies and the moon was slowly rising as stars began to let their spark flood the sky mixing themselves with what was left from the sun's light.

NO NO NO! Inconsistent. You already established the sun setting ages ago. You already described Sarif having the moon sparkle in his eyes. How can the sun suddenly just BEGIN to disappear again. Also, stars don't "flood" the sky. That would imply they all just rushed out from a single source. I think you should go night-watching and see how to better describe things you apparently have no knowledge about.

Krystal gulped and held her diamond tightly on her hands, looking around her trying to find her opponent... Serif was the one who talked to her this time.

Hey here's an idea, maybe Krystal should look for the sparkle. You know, the Sparkle of moonlight in Serif's eyes? Yeah, I'm just reminding why that phrase was a bad idea.

Krystal started to get nervous, a chill ran down her spine, she slowly started to realise that she was the one in great danger.

I feel the need to point out the missed opportunity of saying how Serif stalled for 30 minutes on purpose, so the sun would go down, making Krystal easier to find. This preparation would contrast nicely with Krystal's lack of one and her early confidence could easily compare to Sarif's late version. I mean, why even mention waiting 30 minutes earlier if you're not even going to reference it.

~"...I know the soft spots of a human body, and even for someone like you I know how much force I have to apply to get the result I want".

I'm sorry, but an arm is as hard as any limb. Knowing the soft spots implies that he knows where the organs are. Knowing that has nothing to do with the force application. Knowing the soft spots was not a needed info to reveal.

Krystal gasped loudly and turned as fast as possible

I dont think you can hasten the speed of turning quickly.

Sarif's hit and run tactics

is retarded. It's been proven that a direct attack is pointless as Krystal is very quick to parry. And he already has windwalk so why not just creep up behind her and stab her in the back. Why does he have to jump from the trees every time to gain leverage. I suppose you can say that Serif is being really cocky right now and just playing with his food but I doubt that was the implication you were going for and is just a coincidence to drag the tension.

"His amulet!...".

Then another voice came from between the trees.

~"You finally realised didn't you?....

There was no reason Krystal needed to blurt it out. And there was no reason for Sarif to see her lips move from afar, much less realize he had noticed his amulet in that last moment.

"This is bad... he's got way more stamina and physical resistance than me, and I'm already a bit tired. I need to use my diamond state as a last resource, otherwise I'll lose this fight for sure...".

Who. Are you. Talking to?! If Krystal just shuts up and keeps things to herself, maybe she wouldn't have such predictable moves in the first place.

Using the same tactic as before Serif jumped from the shadows attacking her by surprise, this time he had something else in hands, a pair of bolas which he was using as a weapon, Serif was the one attcking her several times now "I remember those.... he has 2 kinds of bolas, one stronger than another. For what I can see, Serif is not using the best ones he's got" She thought as she did her best to dodge each hit

Wouldn't Krystal be disoriented by the initial strike seeing as the attack was a surprise and she had been expecting a knife this whole time? What was even the purpose of having brought a weaker bola and if he is using the weaker one how can Krystal possibly know that the weaker one is being used having never seen a second one in action before? Also, how is the other weaker exactly? Is it smaller? Does the 'stronger' one have spikes? Is there more oomph with each strike?

Well at least she was thinking it this time.

drops of sweat could be seen shining with the silver light from the moon

The hunting knife reflected the moon's light on her face

and the moon's light was now making her shine even more

the girl looked at her hands and saw the reflection of the moon

Stop bringing this up again and again.

Alright we get it, anything apparently transparent or shiny is easily visible because the moon is suddenly this magic flashlight that reflects even the tiniest of reflective surfaces. Never mind that there are trees obscuring the full wrath of the moonlight, much less if the moon is even able to amplify that much light moments after the sun had just set. Much less if the moon could even reflect that much light from far away on a single tiny reflective source. I could understand a crystal knife but sweat, tears, a normal knife, and hands? Cmon.

Now as for the stuff that actually reflects light...why bother bringing it up? It's clear that they're both out in the open and aware of each other's presence. Saying that it reflects beneath the moon is pointless to the plot. Readers can easily draw their own conclusion in their heads and it wouldn't affect a thing.

the shitty bola battle

Everything is so mechanical. This happened. Then this happened. It's like a final fantasy game where actions took their sweet time while the other guys just stood around waiting for action resolution. Like the bola needed to hit the tree first before Krystal could start running. Also refer to my comment earlier about vague descriptions. Like things "impacted", "touched", "dodged", "attacked". We are left to imagine just what these are. How bout some cracked ribs against the tree that bound you. How bout some skin being rended from the impact, the frequent fear of having a swinging ball nearly miss your face.

and with great effort, the whole tree came out from the ground.

Those are some pretty powerful bolas. Shouldn't they have snapped first?

Krystal managed to brake the part of the tree where was tied up and finally set herself free.

Yeah let's focus on breaking the tree. The tree that's made of solid wood instead of the nylon bola ropes that were stronger than titanium apparently.

The battle turned into a race for the girl, once in diamond state her stamina runs out rather quickly.

This is an infodump. If we didn't know your bio, find another way to work it in. We don't need to know things that come up all of a sudden as they come off as cheap.

Krystal uses her crytstals to illuminate the forest

Ohhhh. That's why you keep bringing up how those other things were reflecting against her. Well, I'm sorry to tell you but this just doesn't work. Refer to my reflection post upstairs as to why. The thing is, this solution is so mundane in itself. Of all the uses she could have come up with, illumination was the answer? How bout clearing the woods to give them a huge fighting radius with nowhere to hide? How bout endlessly just raining shards until it was impossible to hide (okay this may be more of a desparation since it has a limit, but its still a better card to play).

Krystal followed and jumped onto the ground, she immediately shot multiple spikes around them lighting up the whole place once again.

Oh so now its like magic now. Just throw crystals in a general radius beneath the moonlight and we have instant illumination. Fuck having to lug generators and having a consistent light source, the Moon is a cosmic searchlight of justice. It begs the question as to why crystals were even necessary; if she shot them to shine the place brighter that would imply that a crystal-less environment was already bright to begin with.

Giving his back on Kryatal he held the diamond on his hand, blood was sliding down from it until it reached the edge and fell to the ground making a small pool of blood.

Like we really needed to know that the blood was trickling down. Like we really expected it to fly up instead. This sentence was so pertinent. How bout the pain he's probably feeling right now. Isn't that more pertinent than the blood doing its own thing with gravity?

"That was smart girl. I won't deny it..."

And you're an idiot for stalling and not taking advantage of her 3rd-person monologues.

Slowly, he pulled out another pair of his bolas, these ones seemed quite more elaborated than the other ones. Made out of a harder material and with more techbology

Ahahahahahah. What the fuck? MOAR Technology. Omg. Forget about my other bolas, these bolas have a wifi connection and camera support in case I want to take selfies of my victims that activate from the centripetal force generated from my intense spinning. More technology.

How does something with "More Technology" appear as a threat. And what exactly does Moar Technology imply? A laser sword is still a sword. A mecha-flintlock is still a flintlock. A bola with moar technology is as stupid as it sounds.

Genuiinely laughed at this part. Thanks for the really out there comment.

That's it, I'm done. I'm giving up at the end because that last sentence really cracked me up. I know English is not your first language but this is just too much. Wrong words were used. Generic words were tossed around. The battle was boring and illogical as fuck.

I'll do Crank's when I feel like it

Arch-Angel
06-02-2015, 12:19 AM
Damn Hewitt, I was thinking about posting some writing stuff but you're an asshole.

Hewitt
06-02-2015, 12:48 AM
not just any asshole.

an asshole with more technology

Arch-Angel
06-02-2015, 03:25 AM
Hold on. Stay there Hewitt, I'm trying to watch this video.

Hewitt
06-02-2015, 04:10 AM
What the hell are you talking about XD

Arch-Angel
06-02-2015, 04:18 AM
"Made out of a harder material and with more techbology"

"Ahahahahahah. What the fuck? MOAR Technology. Omg. Forget about my other bolas, these bolas have a wifi connection and cam"

"Damn Hewitt, I was thinking about posting some writing stuff but you're an asshole."

"not just any asshole. an asshole with more technology"

"Hold on. Stay there Hewitt, I'm trying to watch this video."

You so silly.

Hewitt
06-02-2015, 04:24 AM
Hold up, I just noticed that she spelled it as tech-BOLO-gy. The B and N keys are so close to each other I don't know if she did it on purpose.

I dont even know if that's intentional in itself, but it's funnier than ever. It's like some scientist in the military found an entire school of weapons combat that distinctly uses Bolos and he tinkered in his lab, trying to bring the primitive weapon to its fullest potential. Taxpayer's dollars at work. ISIS is gonna shit themselves with the Pentagon's new-and-improved Cyber-Bolos made with 100% more Techbology (TM)

Urako
06-02-2015, 08:48 AM
To be honest, I like Camila's version a little bit better. The characters seemed smarter, more powerful, and behaved exactly like i would expect them to.

Camila
06-02-2015, 08:26 PM
Thanks, is my very first attempt at writting a battle. Glad you liked it, my main goal was to entertain someone with my story so I think I fullfilled my objective with this one.

And yeah hew, you were kind of an ass there lol. You took everything way too literal, the parts where you think that she's talking alone I just forgot to add an italic tag (except for the last dialogue you quoted, that was seriff). Cranky told me that some of his bolas had more technology like rocket thrusters and stuff... idk why is that so funny to you >_> and yeah I simply don't know which words should I use to describe a certain thing. Sorry for not being so good at English like you.

Thanks The strongest for the comment, I'll keep that in mind for the next time.

Hewitt
06-02-2015, 08:30 PM
Hey, I never said I was better in English, just that it needed some work.

And if Crank says it has more technology, I feel it obligated to be expounded upon instead of taking it word for word. What went through your mind when you saw "more technology" because that in itself was pretty vague.

And thoughts in italic are fine. But I always thought Krystal was an impulsive sort. I'd figure her actions would imply her intentions way more than anything she might have to say.

Ken_Rou
06-02-2015, 08:35 PM
First of all, I'm a fan of your RHG stuff Camila! Just to let you know.

You did good for a person that has english for a second language. There's no shame in that.

If you're able to do so, have something like a "spanish-to-english" dictionary on you. It's helped me a lot when writing stuff in Japanese from time to time (No, I didn't use the spanish dictionary).

And don't worry about Hewitt. He's not being the most supportive person in the world right now...

Anyway, if you decide that you want to continue in wRHG, I wish you the best of luck!

Camila
06-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Hey, I never said I was better in English, just that it needed some work.

I mean, when you say that you literally laughed at it. It gives me the impression that you just want to show off how my english is not even decent.

Thanks Ken!. I do have the translator opened when I write just to make sure of some words, tho I still need to learn more meanings for the word I already know. Tho spanish is a bit more complicated lol, idk about future battles I mean... I'll never get as good as someone who's native language is English so... I'll probably just stay with spars and short stories.

Hewitt
06-02-2015, 09:07 PM
Oh don't say that.

I was laughing at the concept of something being more powerful because it had more technology. I found it endearingly adorable like something my nephew would say. It was just such an unexpected funny thing to encounter. Haven't you ever stopped short of a work and see something really narmy and can't help but just laugh?

I was never laughing at your inability to write well.

Urako
06-02-2015, 09:07 PM
I mean, when you say that you literally laughed at it. It gives me the impression that you just want to show off how my english is not even decent.

Thanks Ken!. I do have the translator opened when I write just to make sure of some words, tho I still need to learn more meanings for the word I already know. Tho spanish is a bit more complicated lol, idk about future battles I mean... I'll never get as good as someone who's native language is English so... I'll probably just stay with spars and short stories.

That is not true. I bet if we fought, you would win. (This is not a challenge. In fact, i am quite busy.)

Crank
06-02-2015, 09:16 PM
Camila, I just want to swoop in and say it was an honor battling you, and I hope you stick around!

If you have any questions about specific words or anything you can always fire me a message. My box usually has at least on spot open in there, and at the same time there are a lot of cool people around here who would be more than happy to give you a hand as well! I'd say a good chunk of the writer's lounge doesn't have English as their first language, so they could probably be a good resource for you as well, at least with common pitfalls and things to look out for in that regard.

Lastly, I think I mentioned it in PM, but I enjoyed your piece as well! I'll see ya around!

EDIT: D'aww

Camila
06-02-2015, 09:17 PM
I was never laughing at your inability to write well.

So I do have an "inability" to write well. Ok then. Just when I thought I was the one making a poor choice of words I:

Crank I love you ♥

Hewitt
06-02-2015, 09:20 PM
I never said that either, you're putting words in my mouth