PDA

View Full Version : First 30fps Animation

TheOrigin
08-09-2015, 07:37 PM
so i learned that 30 fps is real time and i wanted to make a 30 fps animation... so um... here.
http://i.imgur.com/2bGeH8Q.gif

Cook
08-09-2015, 08:28 PM
it was pretty well smoothed, but you need to work on your "forces".

For example, the force of him moving is completely discarded when he hits the wall. It doesn't really reflect in the dude's figure, so I'm not sure how fast he was really going

My recommendation is to look up simple gymnastic videos on youtube, and try to re-create them on pivot

TheOrigin
08-09-2015, 09:41 PM

For example, the force of him moving is completely discarded when he hits the wall. It doesn't really reflect in the dude's figure, so I'm not sure how fast he was really going

My recommendation is to look up simple gymnastic videos on youtube, and try to re-create them on pivot

well the first one is supposed to look like the cartoons where they just slide down the wall, and teh second is supposed to look like his head bounced off sorta. gifs make the original animation faster, so thats maybe why it looked that way.

Cook
08-09-2015, 10:03 PM
sure, whatever

if you put more attention into your actual animation and less into the stupid comedy shit, your stuff might look better

Drone
08-10-2015, 02:19 PM
sure, whatever

if you put more attention into your actual animation and less into the stupid comedy shit, your stuff might look better

I agree with this

Lynxing
08-10-2015, 03:47 PM
I don't know, but at the first I thought that his jump was pretty much overpowered wich makes It a little bit unlogic. Same goes for the kickup
Though It was really smooth

TheOrigin
08-10-2015, 05:24 PM
when he hits the wall, its supposed to be like the cartoons where they slide down. like tom and jerry. and captain you dont have to say it like a jerk you know, you could've said it in a nicer way. this is my first 30fps so its not as good as i wouldve done in 24 fps.

Cook
08-10-2015, 10:28 PM
when he hits the wall, its supposed to be like the cartoons where they slide down. like tom and jerry. and captain you dont have to say it like a jerk you know, you could've said it in a nicer way. this is my first 30fps so its not as good as i wouldve done in 24 fps.

don't get defensive and dismiss our advice

I don't mind if it's cartoony or whatever. The problem is that I didn't recognize that it was cartoony. If you want it to look cartoony, it has to be obvious it's cartoony, or else it just looks dumb

To be honest though, you should focus on real-life physics before working on cartoon stuff, because making convincing cartoons out of stick figures is pretty difficult. Work on making real life movements and interactions before you stylize them.

You don't see Bob Ross painting details onto his paintings before the foundation is finished. Your cartoony style has to be built upon a platform of established animation rules, and whatnot.

Brod just do what I said about animating something from some failblog video. It's easy, fun, and you'll learn a shitload about smoothing and movement. You'll notice your stickfigure move in ways you wouldn't of had noticed, and it'll make the movement more convincing.

THEN you can stylize.

I agree with this

I'm not the only one that thought this way.

What set me off was the dickbutt frame.

You tell me you don't have the know-how and intelligence to smooth your dude (kek) better, and yet you probably spent 30-45 minutes making sprites of "fffffffffffffffffffffffffff" on paint and used some dickbutt sprite you found on google, when instead you could've spent that time and effort working on something that mattered.

You can animate much better than you think, and I don't care if this is your first or 100th 30FPS animation. It looks really good, man, and I'd be totally down to see more of your stuff if you focused more on the conceptual part of your animations, before trying to make them stylish. You can save the flair for when your shit's awesome, because right now it's good. Keep working at it, man.

Try making an entirely new animation, and using this as a reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K532_JVb9iY

Hewitt
08-10-2015, 10:44 PM

In what way is offering legit advice being a jerk

PitchEnder
08-11-2015, 01:13 AM
the stupid comedy shit

This can be taken as rude over text message.

I like the comedy at the end. I hate it when everything is serious all of the time. Something in another persons animation shouldn't set you off.

I see where the force goes. his legs swing forward and his back arches.

TheOrigin
08-11-2015, 06:58 AM
only one person has said something encouraging.

i dont care if you think its stupid because of the way i did it, i am proud of this because its my first realtime animation and i wanted to share it to get feed back on if i have improved with my shakiness and head movement. this was supposed to be a practice thing with a little humor in it.
stupid comedy shitnot every animation needs to be humorless.

Cook
08-11-2015, 08:18 AM
Holy shit, what a fucking baby

You post something here and expect feedback, and the minute it's negative you dismiss them because they're being "rude", and you try to tell them their opinion doesn't matter because "you meant for it to look like that"

come on, you baby.

boo fucking hoo

When you grow up you'll realize that nobody says anything encouraging because it's implied. When I tell you that "Oh, you should work on this", I'm implying that the rest of the animation is good, but what I've pointed out is flawed. Men do this because it's fast, and because I don't have to squat and pat your head and tell you that it was an amazing job because you have the potential to be better, and being "encouraging" is making you compromise for second best.

i dont care if you think its stupid because of the way i did it, i am proud of this because its my first realtime animation and i wanted to share it to get feed back on if i have improved with my shakiness and head movement.

get feed back
You mean positive feedback, right? You want me to suck your dick over this movie, right?

goddamn read this fucking shit:

well the first one is supposed to look like the cartoons where they just slide down the wall, and teh second is supposed to look like his head bounced off sorta. gifs make the original animation faster, so thats maybe why it looked that way.

You didn't address anything I told you.

I told you simple advice, and you dismissed it.

Like fuck man, did you even read this?

don't get defensive and dismiss our advice

I don't mind if it's cartoony or whatever. The problem is that I didn't recognize that it was cartoony. If you want it to look cartoony, it has to be obvious it's cartoony, or else it just looks dumb

To be honest though, you should focus on real-life physics before working on cartoon stuff, because making convincing cartoons out of stick figures is pretty difficult. Work on making real life movements and interactions before you stylize them.

You don't see Bob Ross painting details onto his paintings before the foundation is finished. Your cartoony style has to be built upon a platform of established animation rules, and whatnot.

Brod just do what I said about animating something from some failblog video. It's easy, fun, and you'll learn a shitload about smoothing and movement. You'll notice your stickfigure move in ways you wouldn't of had noticed, and it'll make the movement more convincing.
there was legitimate advice in there. I even complimented you.

You can animate much better than you think, and I don't care if this is your first or 100th 30FPS animation. It looks really good, man, and I'd be totally down to see more of your stuff if you focused more on the conceptual part of your animations, before trying to make them stylish. You can save the flair for when your shit's awesome, because right now it's good. Keep working at it, man.
hurrr nobody said anything positive deerrrr

Try making an entirely new animation, and using this as a reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K532_JVb9iY
Oh look, I did some work for you and gave you a video about what I was talking about. I was honestly expecting a follow up, and see how you've improved

When was the last time you ever saw a movie where the coach of the football team was really nice to his guys? He's always riding on their asses and correcting them, because he cares, and he thinks these players have potential

But you wouldn't know about being corrected, because you're given out participation trophies at school.

Just take the advice. Don't sit down and pout because it made you mad because it frustrates both of us.

If you want me to fuck off, report my comment and ignore it

Exile
08-11-2015, 09:36 AM
not every animation needs to be humorless.

that is not what he's saying or implying.

regardless of how hard you worked on this animation, you made the conscious decision to end it with a ridiculous stream of random letters, dickbutt and other assorted garbage. if this is your idea of humor then you need to accept the fact that most people don't think this kind of stuff is funny and it reflects poorly on your work and on yourself.

aside from that your attempt was moderately impressive and cook is giving you very good feedback. listen to him.

Not_Nish
08-11-2015, 09:39 AM
I agree that if this type of animation is what you want to do properly, you should be looking at real-life videos and trying to animate them accordingly. Not put in a blend of cartoon and real-life with no one knowing what you're trying to do. Please don't get defensive, people here wouldn't be replying to you if you were terrible.

Yes, Cook could have done it better, but honestly there is no easy way to stop someone from making shitty jokes than telling them how shitty it is.

Incorrect. Cook, Drone, Hewitt and PitchEnder all implied in their own way that you had talent to get better and you should keep at it.

i dont care if you think its stupid because of the way i did it, i am proud of this because its my first realtime animation and i wanted to share it to get feed back on if i have improved with my shakiness and head movement.

Did you read any of what Cook said? He offered you proper advice, and you're focusing on something absolutely singular. Unless you wanted this to be some kind of sycophantic thread where people just praise you and do nothing else.

Also, why would you be looking for comments about improvement with your shakiness and head movements, if you're anyway going for a Tom-and-Jerryesque cartoon gag?

this was supposed to be a practice thing with a little humor in it. not every animation needs to be humorless.

Similarly, not every animation needs to have shitty humour in it. I actually did want to give you proper advice until I saw the FFFUUU and that dickbutt thing at the end. Why tell a joke if it isn't funny? And then snap at people who don't find it funny?

Follow the advice you've been given so far, and you'll be a good animator. Don't fight back and try to defend yourself please. No one cares, and they will only stop giving you valuable advice if you try to COUNTER each constructive criticism that is leveled at you.

Index
08-11-2015, 09:39 AM
dickbutt is ace humour

RichardLongflop
08-11-2015, 10:39 AM
20+ fps pivot animations should only be attempted by those who are the shit. You are not the shit.

Stick to 18fps. Do the general practicing thing all beginner pivoters do. Tests and what not. Use references. Look at tutorials. Etc. Don't bother with higher FPS.

TheOrigin
08-11-2015, 04:56 PM
lemme apologize. my first comment i was just tired and now i feel dumb because i didnt read all of them. today i was also tired and i kinda rushed them because my bus was coming soon.

so again, i am sarry for dismissing the feedback i got and thinking i was being insulted.

Cook
08-11-2015, 06:05 PM
don't apologize man, fuck

Just do what we tell you

PitchEnder
08-11-2015, 06:56 PM
I still find this animation hilarious

Stop, i know what you're gonna do

Root
08-11-2015, 11:20 PM
20+ fps pivot animations should only be attempted by those who are the shit. You are not the shit.

Stick to 18fps. Do the general practicing thing all beginner pivoters do. Tests and what not. Use references. Look at tutorials. Etc. Don't bother with higher FPS.
30 fps can be great, even for a beginner, if you use it to give you better control. I don't know if it's different in pivot, but in flash it helps a lot to animate at 30 fps so that I can double and triple frame.

The animation looks decent I think. There are some problems with flat spacing and shakiness, which probably comes from the new fps, but the biggest problem I see is the pose after he hits the wall. The body is bent in a really uncomfortable position. Try to keep flexibility in mind.

GuardianTempest
08-11-2015, 11:26 PM
30 fps can be great, even for a beginner, if you use it to give you better control. I don't know if it's different in pivot, but in flash it helps a lot to animate at 30 fps so that I can double and triple frame.I strongly disagree, as a newcomer it's difficult to develop commitment when you have much more keyframes to work on. I started out with 30fps because of that sentiment Later on I found it too difficult to keep up and settled down for 24, I'll plan on downgrading further to 18fps so I only have to single-frame. I blame Arch-Angel, you hear me Arch? It was your fault!

Bruh.
08-12-2015, 10:50 PM
Nice animation man! Better than what I can do most of the time at least...>_>
I would try sticking to a regular 16 or 18 tbh

RichardLongflop
08-13-2015, 03:04 AM
30 fps can be great, even for a beginner, if you use it to give you better control. I don't know if it's different in pivot, but in flash it helps a lot to animate at 30 fps so that I can double and triple frame.

Doubleframing at 30fps creates a 15fps animation. That will look choppy.

Tripleframing at 30fps creates a 10fps animation. That shit will be so choppy that Gordon Ramsay will blush.

I don't really know why you doubleframe in flash. I've asked many people yet the only answer they can give me is "X person does it." I animate at 18fps in pivot because it creates smooth animations at a managable framerate. There's no point for doubleframing in pivot unless you want to make shitty half-arsed slowmo.

GuardianTempest
08-13-2015, 03:11 AM
I've asked many people yet the only answer they can give me is "X person does it."To be fair, you might be asking the wrong people. (i.e. noobs who might not know what they're doing)