PDA

View Full Version : First semi successful run animation

Xyskal
04-09-2016, 08:18 PM
http://sta.sh/01cea4qi3lzn

I have never been able to do running/walking cycles before, but now I can for some reason.
ANy help would be appreciated as I'm new to actually making these look like a functional person running.

Creepin_Bro
04-09-2016, 09:29 PM
arms need to move more, like, a lot more, they should , well, ya know be like if you were running
do you jiggle your arms up and down while you run?
(if your ganna say this thread is about the run cycle not the arms, I need to tell you the arms are just as important as the legs)

also whats up with the 'no head cause im not done/it's rushed'? that lots of people do? (not just you)
The head is the literal easiest part, all you do is move a circle above his neck, and change position slightly every once in a while

Person McPerson
04-10-2016, 11:24 AM
Well when people run in real life their hips go up and down. So do that. And I don't think people have their arms not moving while they run.

Xyskal
04-10-2016, 08:28 PM
arms need to move more, like, a lot more, they should , well, ya know be like if you were running
do you jiggle your arms up and down while you run?
(if your ganna say this thread is about the run cycle not the arms, I need to tell you the arms are just as important as the legs)
I'll take this into consideration. I do find the arms important though. I wasn't even going to say something like that.
(and I do let my arms jiggle up and down when I run.)
Also, does it loop well? if I were to put this in something else, would it be acceptable?

also whats up with the 'no head cause I'm not done/it's rushed'? that lots of people do? (not just you)
The head is the literal easiest part, all you do is move a circle above his neck, and change position slightly every once in a while
Personally I do it because I always save the heads for last, and I only do stuff liike heads for like, animations that I am going to use for something.
I save heads for last because it always seems like it breaks my flow of drawing. It is a completely different action from drawing into your frame and I fear I may lose my train of thought if I just stop every frame and repeat.

Well when people run in real life their hips go up and down. So do that. And I don't think people have their arms not moving while they run.
May you be a bit more specific when you say "their hips go up and down" because I'm not entirely sure how you would do something like that from this perspective.

Xyskal
04-10-2016, 08:29 PM
(oh wait wrong button)

Unbounded
04-10-2016, 08:35 PM
As a general rule, you spend more time during a run off the ground than on it.
-Your character seems a tad off-balance.
-The arms aren't really moving. During a basic run the arms will sway back and forth as the legs move.

As for resources and advice, I remember the animator's survival kit having a MASSIVE section regarding walks. If you can pick it up it will cover just about anything there is to know.