PDA

View Full Version : Run and fire

Reigning Capricorn
04-16-2016, 12:01 PM
https://youtu.be/AZnnP85CNMc I think the run is good? the fireball is a quick thing, any tips on these two things would be good.

Unbounded
04-16-2016, 11:12 PM
A pretty massive improvement over your previously submitted animation. Good job!

-The run isn't bad at all, but it could be even better. Notice how, if you stare at it long enough it looks like the stick figure is just switching their arms back and forth? This is because you aren't varying the poses, and are instead using the same pose twice. Since stick figures aren't like actual fully-drawn characters and don't really have any depth to them, we can't get really get away with just cut-pasting the the first step of a run cycle and flipping the character limbs like others can. We have to actually tweak the poses on the second step, if even just slightly to convey that it's a different arm/leg.

-As for the fire, it really helps to have a good understanding of follow-through and the waving motion. Bepler has a pretty good tutorial on the waving motion which should give you the foundational skills required for a lot of effects. (fire included, yep.)

Reigning Capricorn
04-17-2016, 01:20 PM
A pretty massive improvement over your previously submitted animation. Good job!

-The run isn't bad at all, but it could be even better. Notice how, if you stare at it long enough it looks like the stick figure is just switching their arms back and forth? This is because you aren't varying the poses, and are instead using the same pose twice. Since stick figures aren't like actual fully-drawn characters and don't really have any depth to them, we can't get really get away with just cut-pasting the the first step of a run cycle and flipping the character limbs like others can. We have to actually tweak the poses on the second step, if even just slightly to convey that it's a different arm/leg.

-As for the fire, it really helps to have a good understanding of follow-through and the waving motion. Bepler has a pretty good tutorial on the waving motion which should give you the foundational skills required for a lot of effects. (fire included, yep.)

Ok, I will take what you said and try to improve, thank you for helping me!