PDA

View Full Version : Tournament of the Elements! Steel VS Time

Landenpanda23
06-25-2016, 01:13 AM
The epic battle of Steel and Time facing off in the Tournament of the Elements (AKA Tote.) Please keep in mind, I'm only 13, and this is my first ever major animation that's even longer than 6 seconds and isn't a bunch of easy tweens. I know it's not beautiful and the lineart could use work, but please go easy on me, haha :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQhb3XfnNYc

Creepin_Bro
06-25-2016, 03:02 AM
It's choppy, it's anticlimactic, it's lacking in sound effects
But being your first anim, that's alright
I will point out any things I see wrong, you might know them all, idk
By the way I'm 13 too, so I'm not trying to act better then you, just pointin stuff out

Arms don't punch via extending and contorting

All steel coming out of walls, skin, no where, ect. wasn't animated, it just appeared

No sound effects

Time is not an element

Choppy to the point of being a slide show

Any way don't be discouraged by me pointing these things out, you'll get better with practice
Hell, I'm not even that good at animating

There's more I want to say but I have to wake up early tomarow so I'm goin to sleep
I might edit this post later to go more in depth on stuff

Landenpanda23
06-25-2016, 03:30 AM
It's choppy, it's anticlimactic, it's lacking in sound effects
But being your first anim, that's alright
I will point out any things I see wrong, you might know them all, idk
By the way I'm 13 too, so I'm not trying to act better then you, just pointin stuff out

Arms don't punch via extending and contorting

All steel coming out of walls, skin, no where, ect. wasn't animated, it just appeared

No sound effects

Time is not an element

Choppy to the point of being a slide show

Any way don't be discouraged by me pointing these things out, you'll get better with practice
Hell, I'm not even that good at animating

There's more I want to say but I have to wake up early tomarow so I'm goin to sleep
I might edit this post later to go more in depth on stuff

I appreciate your constructive criticism rather than insults. I'm not going to make this a retaliation, I just want to respond to a few things and let you know why some of it is that way. I'm not great with anatomy, so that's why punching is off. I'll work on it though. Advice on how it does work?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by steel just appearing. It was animated... the only instance I can think of when it just appeared was during the sequence when the Steel guy was shooting steel from walls. The reason that it just appeared in that scene was that Time was speeding up time so quickly that it looked like he was teleporting and you barely saw the steel being animated. It's illusioned.

There are no sound effects, true, but there is background music. Just a note. The reason for no sound effects is because of low space and me not being great with audio. I am going to add sound effects in the second episode and see how it works.

Actually, Time is an element. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ElementalPowers
Just for reference :)

I don't see the choppiness, in fact, I used like a keyframe every new frame almost. Maybe it's just your computer or internet lag due to how fast the animation is going, but yeah, it's not choppy for me.

Thanks for the criticism, sorry if this sounded kind of defensive haha. I appreciate it, you should hit me up on Skype (people have trouble finding mine for some reason, it would be helpful if you gave me yours? Thanks :) )

Arch-Angel
06-25-2016, 12:58 PM
Time isn't an element >:(

TheTrueStep
06-25-2016, 02:28 PM
I see potential on this animator. Alot of room of practice is needed here. Needs sounds and should be smoother but since its your first anim I think its understandable

Landenpanda23
06-25-2016, 07:34 PM
Thanks @TheTrueStep

BTW Time is an Element guys. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ElementalPowers

Person McPerson
06-25-2016, 11:06 PM
Time isn't an element >:(

Neither is steel, so why are you making such a big fuss over it?

Landenpanda23
06-26-2016, 01:12 AM
I am not just using the Core 4 elements, otherwise this tournament would only have 4 players and would only last 3 episodes and wouldn't be that cool. Also, small update: The second episode is in the works, and I actually figured out a few things. I've been working on my anatomy a lot so hopefully it's a little better this time, and also I realized why the animation was choppy. So basically I'm actually animating the movement close together so it will look fluid, but because of the low framerate I was working with (12 fps) it lowered the speed of the close-together movement making it more choppy. I've upped the framerate to 24fps in this second episode and done one quick scene to test it, it looks way less choppy and quite fluid. Hopefully it all goes well :DD Thanks for the constructive criticism, guys! Also Time is an element. I don't know if linking things is the problem, but check out TVTropes' elemental powers tropes. Time is listed there. I'm not sure if Steel is since I decided on that one myself, but I think it's separate enough from Earth that it can be used as its own element. Landen out :D

Creepin_Bro
06-28-2016, 12:55 AM
I think Person was referring to physical, real elements (think the table of elements)
As time is not a physical thing, nor is it really a thing at all (it's basically a unit of measurement we made) Person was not thinking of your definition of 'element'
Also, time still isn't a element, in any fashion.
to be able to manipulate it is more of an ability than control of an element

BUT

For the purposes of your anim, what you've done is understandable

Sorry for fueling this argument, but I wanted to voice my opinion