PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming StickPage Animation Competitions - Huge Cash Prizes To Be Won!

Jeff
06-27-2016, 01:21 PM
It's officially summer time! That means free time is going through the roof for a lot of ambitious animators right now, so why not spend some of it making some money doing what you love? We are finally kick starting a brand new animation competition THIS FRIDAY with an absolutely massive $5,000 in potential prizes to be won! This is the largest amount we've ever put towards a competition, and with good reason. We want to help inspire creativity in young animators and give them as many opportunities to build their skills as we can. So, we've been rethinking the way we've normally run competitions and decided to try something different this time around to give more people a chance to get something for their efforts. There will be a total of 15 placements in which you can earn some money, as opposed to our normal 3-5. With $5,000 being spread across 15 placements, there is a much higher chance you'll walk away with something!

That's not all though, this first competition actually marks the beginning of a series of competitions we will be putting on throughout the year from this point forward. In total we are aiming to have 4 major competitions occur every year - with one happening every 3 months, each with a different theme and a cash prize. That means that after this competition is finished, a brand new one will take it's place THIS October! So even if you're busy for this one, another one is just around the corner! We will also be announcing the theme of the next competition 2 weeks before it's set to begin, so you will have time in advance to prepare.

Excited yet? There's still more. Due to the increase in potential placements, we have also decided to get rid of the "animator rank" for this competition - everyone will be considered on the same level. In the past we saw that the difference between "Intermediate" and "Pro" was not always so black and white. Occasionally an intermediate entry was actually better than it's pro counterparts, and might have won more money if it was entered at the pro level. Having more potential prizes means that you're far more likely to earn more if you put in the effort, but still feel comfortable knowing you likely won't walk away with nothing.

So what about beginners? Doesn't this make it harder for them to get anything? We're ahead of you on that! Starting Friday, July 15th - two weeks after this first competition is set to begin - a secondary beginners competition will start along side this one with it's own $1,000 in potential prizes across 5 placements, it's own set of rules, and maybe even it's own theme! It will also kick off an additional set of 4 competitions per year for beginners only. That's right, in total we will be running 8 separate competitions - all with cash prizes - every year. This is our investment in you as a community. We believe you can do great things, and we hope this will help serve as incentive for you to build your skills and accomplish your goals as artists and creatives.

Check out these animations to see some good examples of previous competition favorites:

Evangelion (http://www.stickpage.com/evangelion.shtml) by TheExxceld
Minecraft: Stickman Showdown (http://www.stickpage.com/minecraftstickmanshowdown.shtml) by Resh
The Hobbit Duel of Fate (http://www.stickpage.com/thehobbit3.shtml) by Barthimo
Skyrim Tribute (http://www.stickpage.com/theelderscrollsvskyrimtribute.shtml) by Rythm
Avatar State (http://www.stickpage.com/avatarstate.shtml) by Danmark
Kingsman: Secret Service (http://www.stickpage.com/kingsmansecretservice.shtml) by JanRavnik
Also please check out these schedules to see our currently planned competition dates for 2016 & 2017:

Main Competitions

No.
Date
Theme

Friday, July 1st, 2016
Video Game Parody (http://forums.stickpage.com/showthread.php?99788-Video-Game-Parody-(-5-000-in-prizes-1-500-first-prize!)-Summer-Competition-2016)

Saturday, October 1st, 2016
To Be Announced
Saturday, September 17th, 2016

Sunday, January 1st, 2017
To Be Announced
Sunday, December 18th, 2016

Saturday, April 1st, 2017
To Be Announced
Saturday, March 18th, 2017

Beginner Competitions

No.
Date
Theme

Friday, July 15th, 2016
Bringing a Knife to a Gun Fight

Saturday, October 15th, 2016
To Be Announced
Saturday, October 1st, 2016

Sunday, January 15th, 2017
To Be Announced
Sunday, January 1st, 2017

Saturday, April 15th, 2017
To Be Announced
Saturday, April 1st, 2017

Did you know we're also sponsoring individual animations for money?
See this thread (http://forums.stickpage.com/showthread.php?99758-Earn-money-for-your-work-StickPage-will-sponsor-YOUR-animations!) for details!

Loops
06-27-2016, 02:23 PM
:O
Beginner competition?
:D
I'll still participate in the other competitions tho

GMR
06-27-2016, 02:36 PM
Sounds exciting. Good luck to all ye animators out there!

kronusFA
06-27-2016, 03:53 PM
YES IM IN DIS~

Atsukedaime
06-27-2016, 05:12 PM
OH YES IM IN DIS 2

AsePlayer
06-27-2016, 09:22 PM
Good luck! I expect to see some epic stuffs as always.

Cronos
06-28-2016, 12:08 AM
It would also be nice to create a collab out of all the entries once the competition is over. And something tells me you'll need to take measures against HyunsDojo members that come over, win the competition and then immediately go back to their own forum, rinse repeat.

Smile
06-28-2016, 12:33 AM
I think not allowing the promotion of other communities in any way in the animation would do well. Of course it won't stop the animators from going somewhere else, but at least those who do watch those animations will go to stickpage instead of anywhere else, and some of those might possibly stay.

Externus
06-28-2016, 02:57 AM
Due to the increase in potential placements, we have also decided to get rid of the "animator rank" for this competition - everyone will be considered on the same level. In the past we saw that the difference between "Intermediate" and "Pro" was not always so black and white. Occasionally an intermediate entry was actually better than it's pro counterparts, and might have won more money if it was entered at the pro level. Having more potential prizes means that you're far more likely to earn more if you put in the effort, but still feel comfortable knowing you likely won't walk away with nothing.

I'd like to credit myself for this new change/breaking the rank system by pumping out an animation in 2 days to win 1st place by default during GTL2. I'll do something actually good this time I swear.

Also, personally, I'd like to just add my impinging opinion. I believe there is no really need for a beginner animation bracket. As harsh as that sounds, I have to just reiterate that sponsorships used to be dealt in regards of content and merit, not just equality and inclusion. It's just throwing away money that could be used elsewhere or just pocketed. Stressing only an intermediate and pro bracket will incentivize new animators to hone their skills and practice religiously to make the cut, not just to complete 2 minutes of animation and be dealt a gold star, an A for effort, and a husky sum of cash. These animations, unfortunately, will garner no attention as their shadowed by larger, more complex animations, and just don't really serve any purpose, so I doubt it'd be in the best interest of Crazy Jay either. It may behoove the showrunners to consider amending the beginner animation bracket to a more humble list. That said, I don't want to just disregard the new animators, because that's not fair. But at the same time, I think we should be focusing on reestablishing friendly competition (helpfully ignited by money), inviting higher-skill animators to lead as role models, and to reignite traffic through mutual interest, for all parties---staff, content creators, and audience. Honestly, I believe this site could use a moderate amount of elitism, not to exclude, but to encourage.

poppetje3D
06-28-2016, 05:53 AM
My body is ready.

Loops
06-28-2016, 06:04 AM
i'm still curious of what the new portal will look like

Unbounded
06-28-2016, 06:54 AM
Stressing only an intermediate and pro bracket will incentivize new animators to hone their skills and practice religiously to make the cut, not just to complete 2 minutes of animation and be dealt a gold star, an A for effort, and a husky sum of cash.

This just isn't true, and this is not what would happen.

Sure, a few here and there might be incentivized by being thrown in with the sharks, but for many, many new animators, (or people who hone any skill for that matter), being thrown in with the best of the best is extremely discouraging and only guarantees that most will quit, thinking that they don't and won't have what it takes to succeed. It's the same reason why videogames don't put you at the highest possible level to start with.

Throwing people in who just downloaded flash and watched a tutorial on how to make a stick figure run in with people who have been animating for 5+ years will just spell disaster.

Jeff
06-28-2016, 10:15 AM
Glad to see some enthusiasm so far! Is it Friday yet?

I think not allowing the promotion of other communities in any way in the animation would do well. Of course it won't stop the animators from going somewhere else, but at least those who do watch those animations will go to stickpage instead of anywhere else, and some of those might possibly stay.

And something tells me you'll need to take measures against HyunsDojo members that come over, win the competition and then immediately go back to their own forum, rinse repeat.

These competitions are open to any animator who wants to participate, regardless of affiliation. It would be nice if they stuck around and contributed back to our community, but I didn't set up this competition with that expectation. My main goal with both of these competitions is simply to encourage animators to build their skill. I don't want this to devolve into a xenophobic grudge match against communities, my friends at Hyun's Dojo are welcome to join like anyone else as long as they're prepared to work for it.

I believe there is no really need for a beginner animation bracket.

Like I said above the point of these competitions is to encourage people to animate. Skill level shouldn't matter. My own research into past community behavior suggests that by ignoring those who are just starting out we would be actively working against that goal and instead creating a divide between skill levels. People don't always do what seems like the most logical thing to do, and I don't want to create an atmosphere of "if you were this good you could be making money but you're not" because I found most people saw this as discouraging. The best thing a beginner can do is to practice, practice, practice. There are no shortcuts to getting good. However, if we can make that process a little less arduous then I think it's a good thing. Instead of lamenting the amount of work they have to do, my hope is beginners will focus instead on winning money, which will eventually give them enough practice to move on to the main competitions. It's the difference between, "practice for the next hour and maybe you'll get good" and "practice for the next hour and maybe you'll be paid for it". Both take some discipline to do, but this way you'll also be paid for your time. We are also using these competitions as a learning opportunity to refine our process and make future competitions better. If the beginners competition ends up being a bad choice then we will try something different. Right now we fully understand that it's a risk and we're doing it anyway. In the end, if at least one person makes an attempt then either way they are actively animating and that makes it worth it for us.

TheTrueStep
06-28-2016, 10:16 AM
Yay its summer for you guys hehe. Too bad I can't join cuz of school cuz my school system is crap woohoo it came at the worst time of my year. Damn the Philippine Summertime hehe.

poppetje3D
06-28-2016, 11:45 AM
By the way,

Can you guys allow people having the same game as entry this year? Its super annoying to think of an other game if someone else already took it while you just really wanted to do for example, Undertale or something.

Jeff
06-28-2016, 11:47 AM
Yeah I wasn't planning on including that limitation. It's too strict and way too much extra work to manage. The competition should be fun and straight forward.

Loops
06-28-2016, 02:00 PM
will you be posting previews of the new portal?or are we going to have to wait?
also
when will you update the roadmap?

Jeff
06-28-2016, 02:22 PM
I am intentionally hoarding screenshots for a big reveal later on when we're ready for it. I will also be updating the roadmap hopefully within the next few weeks. I've mentioned before that I recently spent a lot of time upgrading the new web server software to support a bunch of emerging web technologies that weren't out or ready when I started a year ago, well in addition to that I also took some time to build some tools that help speed up the design process of my web projects by providing a framework that meets my specific needs. Both of these things, coupled with some other stuff going on behind closed doors, have set back the site's planned release schedule but are necessary for me to end up with the site that I envisioned for SP. My next update to the roadmap will actually be a live test of these new additions, just like the original roadmap was for the original web server I wrote. Like most of the things I do I hope my work will speak for itself when it's released, and hopefully it'll make sense why I'm choosing to do things this way. You guys are awesome for being patient.

Loops
06-28-2016, 04:00 PM
I am intentionally hoarding screenshots for a big reveal later on when we're ready for it. I will also be updating the roadmap hopefully within the next few weeks. I've mentioned before that I recently spent a lot of time upgrading the new web server software to support a bunch of emerging web technologies that weren't out or ready when I started a year ago, well in addition to that I also took some time to build some tools that help speed up the design process of my web projects by providing a framework that meets my specific needs. Both of these things, coupled with some other stuff going on behind closed doors, have set back the site's planned release schedule but are necessary for me to end up with the site that I envisioned for SP. My next update to the roadmap will actually be a live test of these new additions, just like the original roadmap was for the original web server I wrote. Like most of the things I do I hope my work will speak for itself when it's released, and hopefully it'll make sense why I'm choosing to do things this way. You guys are awesome for being patient.

nice,will the live test be an actuall livestream?a video?or screenshots?
also,my patience has been enormous since i know html is a hard code language,and after all,i can expect that our patience is going to be rewarded when the new version!
EDIT:
is the media portal actually at 38%?or has the percent it changed?
if so,how much?

Jeff
06-28-2016, 04:06 PM
The media portal is probably somewhere closer to 65% but I'd have to go over my checklists for it.

Loops
06-28-2016, 04:09 PM
ok thanks,but you also forgot to answer my other question,lol

Jeff
06-28-2016, 04:46 PM
Oh by live test I meant that the roadmap website will be running on my new web server build. It's mostly a technical thing, when we start testing SP it will be a private beta, then a public beta when we're ready. We will have an announcement thread before then detailing the entire thing.

Seagull
06-28-2016, 05:16 PM
YESSSSSS new competitionsss. I can't wait!!!! Currently clearing my schedule so I can enter.

BTW I call dibs on dark souls lel. It's miiinne

Externus
06-28-2016, 06:57 PM
This just isn't true, and this is not what would happen.

Sure, a few here and there might be incentivized by being thrown in with the sharks, but for many, many new animators, (or people who hone any skill for that matter), being thrown in with the best of the best is extremely discouraging and only guarantees that most will quit, thinking that they don't and won't have what it takes to succeed. It's the same reason why videogames don't put you at the highest possible level to start with.

Throwing people in who just downloaded flash and watched a tutorial on how to make a stick figure run in with people who have been animating for 5+ years will just spell disaster.

I don't see the point in giving people who just downloaded Flash money? With all due respect, this isn't a charity or a preschool. Also, I feel like you're underestimating the ambition of animators.

GMR
06-28-2016, 07:41 PM
Oh by live test I meant that the roadmap website will be running on my new web server build. It's mostly a technical thing, when we start testing SP it will be a private beta, then a public beta when we're ready. We will have an announcement thread before then detailing the entire thing.

I SO call dibs on this if possible. ;)

Jeff
06-28-2016, 08:39 PM
I don't see the point in giving people who just downloaded Flash money? With all due respect, this isn't a charity or a preschool. Also, I feel like you're underestimating the ambition of animators.

I don't think we have the same idea about what a beginner is exactly lol

Seagull
06-28-2016, 09:23 PM

A beginner is not somebody who "just downloaded flash" a beginner is a promising animator who obviously shows potetntial, but he/she just doesn't have that much experience yet. We're talking maybe 2 years of experience or less, not 2 days.

Externus
06-28-2016, 10:00 PM
A beginner is not somebody who "just downloaded flash" a beginner is a promising animator who obviously shows potetntial, but he/she just doesn't have that much experience yet. We're talking maybe 2 years of experience or less, not 2 days.

I don't think we have the same idea about what a beginner is exactly lol

I didn't say that's what a beginner is. The guy I responded to said throwing on people who just downloaded flash with people of 5+ experience isn't a good idea (which wasn't what I was implying anyway). But then again, most beginners often have about <1 year of experience anyway. You'll pretty much be decent enough to be a pro by the time you hit 2 or 3 years of experience.

Jeff
06-28-2016, 10:07 PM
You'll pretty much be decent enough to be a pro by the time you hit 2 or 3 years of experience.

maybe if you start out with the work ethic and discipline of a pro :^)

Seagull
06-28-2016, 10:53 PM

Yeah I mean really. I have almost 3 years of experience and I can still be considered a beginner. I know one guy that has 7 years of experience and he's worse than me. It would also help to start out with some drawing experience.

Externus
06-28-2016, 11:53 PM

SHUTSHUTSHUTSHUTSHUTSHTUSHUTSHUTSHUTSHUT

Loops
06-29-2016, 09:55 AM
well i've been animating for about 3 years and 4 months and i'm still considered a beginner
so don't lie to me ext :^)

Unbounded
06-29-2016, 04:16 PM

I mean, it was an exaggeration, but okay. The point was putting anyone new with anyone who has multiple years of experience doesn't really encourage someone to get better for most. I mean, it definitely hasn't done too much yet.

I also think you're severely overestimating the ambition of new animators, and people in general.

Ambition doesn't come out of nowhere, nor does it maintain itself over an extended period of time without support. Contests that say: "Hey, even though you aren't the best of the best yet, we understand that and we still want you to try your best in your own little special place" can do wonders for ambition and motivation. This goes for everything, not just animation. It's the same reason why basically every single hobby out there has contests that cater to this inexperienced crowd in some form.

nyneicon
06-29-2016, 04:41 PM
What sort of measures, if any, are going to be taken to distinguish between beginners and intermediates? Is there a criteria that needs to be met to be considered one or the other, or will the judges just be going based off the overall quality? Seems difficult considering it's subjective. And wouldn't there be a risk of higher level animators putting a lot of time into their projects just to be told that their entry is too good to compete?

Jeff
06-29-2016, 05:01 PM
Good question. You're right, it is entirely subjective and there isn't really an objective method we could use to determine who is and isn't a beginner. Even if there was, how would we employ that against something that's opt-in like these competitions? Anyone can technically claim to be a beginner. We don't want to be in the business of telling people what their own perceived rank is, I'm confident most people can compare their work to others and decide what's right for them. If it comes up at all, it will just come down to the judges being the arbiters that decide whether or not someone should win a competition. There would be a discussion, and we would actively communicate with the involved parties about the issue. Luckily, chances are if you entered as a beginner and we feel your winning animation reflects skills that are above a beginner, you would be given an opportunity to have your animation sponsored instead of taking first prize in order to make it fair to actual beginners. Of course all of this is hypothetical, and like a lot of things I have a feeling the details would be ironed out if it happens at all. There would be plenty of public discourse about it.

wanderingbrodude
06-30-2016, 09:45 PM
sweet im a beginner this is awesome good luck everyone i hope to make something good

Pox
06-30-2016, 11:54 PM
I joined the inters section the last comp I was in and then I got moved to beginners so I'll stick with beginner

Smile
07-01-2016, 07:35 AM
I sincerely hope that with all the improvements about to happen, especially with the RHG system, that another RHG tournament would be organized.

Seagull
07-01-2016, 08:29 AM
I think I might be bad enough to sign up for beginner's still, but I'll sign up on both just in case, if it's allowed. mainly because I really like the video game parody idea. I'm definitely not gonna get 1st on the int competition but I might get one of the prizes.

Externus
07-01-2016, 08:47 AM
I sincerely hope that with all the improvements about to happen, especially with the RHG system, that another RHG tournament would be organized.

I began to organize one that looked like it would've been successful and I was in the process of asking stone/CJ if he could sponsor the animation, though it looked like CJ had no interest. I just called it off then because the money impetus was a large driving factor. So that dream might be unfruitful.

Smile
07-01-2016, 09:40 AM
Maybe he just didn't trust someone he didn't know to do it? I'm not really sure if you guys have ever had a conversation though.

I've been hoping for it it for years now tho so there's no point in quitting the dream at this point

Externus
07-01-2016, 09:42 AM
it was a long thing. i tried to get stone to vouch for me and i surmise he did, pretty much had almost all my contestants ready with most of the promising animators. but yeah i'd understand his cautiousness about handing over a lot of money into the hands of some user.

Irian
07-01-2016, 10:08 AM
it's friday cmon
https://67.media.tumblr.com/f15a67778a8a2aef97c99492849f666e/tumblr_o5lpsopvcX1v35di8o1_250.gif

Externus
07-01-2016, 10:50 AM
it's up

Aslime1999
08-05-2016, 08:33 PM
JESUS CHRIST WHAT?
Damn.... prizes like that are cool but I got one question.
How old you need to be in order to enter them?
Hopefully you'll respond.

Seagull
08-06-2016, 09:44 AM
JESUS CHRIST WHAT?
Damn.... prizes like that are cool but I got one question.
How old you need to be in order to enter them?
Hopefully you'll respond.

If you're old enough to be on the site and open up your own paypal account, or even talk it over with your parents for them to open one in their name for you, then you can enter and win a prize. So really if you're able to be on the site, you can enter. You have to have a paypal account to recieve any prizes, however.

Aslime1999
08-09-2016, 02:51 PM
If you're old enough to be on the site and open up your own paypal account, or even talk it over with your parents for them to open one in their name for you, then you can enter and win a prize. So really if you're able to be on the site, you can enter. You have to have a paypal account to recieve any prizes, however.

Yeah.... I'm old enough to do so

tylerskovdal
10-24-2016, 11:35 PM
Hello I'm new for this