StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: wRHG Character Regulations

Yes, Dooms, everyone's view counts. You've (finally) decided to accept group rule, and we really appreciate this.

Also, as the main person with a duo, I'm the first to say it is OP. Both of my chars together are pretty much unbeatable by any normal person -- besides, David can create Reflections.
    My wRHG Canon: The Remarkable Life of Altaer
    "oh fuck yeah, taco, you've been naughty" ~ Vorpal
    "" ~ Index
    Spoiler for More stuff:

I like the idea of an accessory character. Duo chars are fine by me, if done alright.

One char should have a primary strength, one or two secondary strengths that compliment the primary, and some plain physical enhancements to make sure they don't die too hard.

If you go for two characters, then there's a few ways I can see that going about. One, is if that character is nothing but a complimentary strength- Like, only half or a third as strong as the main char- or Two, if the overall primary strength of the character is that there's TWO of them. Which means that both characters should have strengths that aren't too powerful but compliment the fact that there are two of them. As I said, secondary strength complimenting the primary strength.

And if anyone didn't understand what Azure meant by:

Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    and risks becoming a toolbox which creates an unfair scenario for competing writers.
    In regards to having too many powers, it's a term I conjured up (With help of someone in the WL chat, forgot who.) I touch more upon it in my thread where I'm talking about, what I believe, a standard good character should have.

But it comes down to this: A toolbox lets you have all the tools you need for whatever situations. A toolbox character is when they have enough powers where they can tackle... pretty much anything thrown at them. Deus Ex Machinas count. What you want instead is a sexy multitool character where their main strength can cover a good range, and they have an accessory strength that compliments the main by either covering a bit more range, or helping the primary cover a bit more range.
    Last edited by RichardLongflop; 10-15-2016 at 11:24 AM.

Floppy, I've already decided to downgrade Altaer to an NPC and edited my profile accordingly, but I'm interested in what you said:

Would you consider my Duo to be complementary? I mean, I personally don't see it that way, but I'm curious if you do/did.
    "" ~ Index
    Spoiler for More stuff:

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaeus View Post
    Hmm...I guess this calls for an alteration of my chars.
    Not necessarily. If you can argue for it, which you have, and calm the majority, which you have, then you needn't change a thing. All that seems to have changed is that your arrangement may now be called into question by a majority after 3 months, if this ruling stands. Even if the ruling stands, and the majority rules against you, a moderator may end up ruling in your favor.

To be straightforward with you, I don't have too much desire to read into your characters. But I will elaborate upon something.

When I say a primary strength, I mean their main ability, their big thing. When I say complimentary strength, I mean something that's like a third or a half as powerful as the primary. You can also call it a lesser strength, an accessory strength. You often refer to your characters as blatantly OP. Sounds like you don't much care in the way of having one character strong, other lesser, or two characters that are mildly strong due to their combination. Sounds like your characters are pretty powerful standalone.

If I recall, you had these characters standalone at some point? Meaning the feel I get from you isn't 'two characters that compliment each other to the point where, together, they are gladiator-level'. I feel 'I like these two guys so much and they get along in my universe, and I can't choose between them, so I'm gonna have them both.' But all of these are purely assumptions. I'd prefer to elaborate upon this kind of thing in Skype where talk is easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromium7 View Post
    Not necessarily. If you can argue for it, which you have, and calm the majority, which you have, then you needn't change a thing. All that seems to have changed is that your arrangement may now be called into question by a majority after 3 months, if this ruling stands. Even if the ruling stands, and the majority rules against you, a moderator may end up ruling in your favor.
    Well, I've already edited to comply with the regulations, but in the meantime I would like to call my case into review.

See, here's the thing: Dr. MacBeth is arguably my main character in storylines, but overall he is minimally powered. Let's strip away all of his smarts -- powerwise he only has his Reflections. His mastery of guns/knives and his medical knowledge are kinda powers, so you can throw those in there too.

Altaer is still heavily involved in nearly all of my stories, or at least appears in them. Still, he is my secondary char. Yet, as the Fixer, it can be argued that Dr. MacBeth relies heavily upon his powers to give Nehushtan its security. The Fixer (in his current state) is not OP as he once was, but is critical to my battles. I mean, without Altaer, I can think of tons of chars who David couldn't logically fight without just defaulting to "I've got a highly enhanced long-range rifle and an assortment of specialty ammo so fuck you I win" or "I'm just gonna use some super lethal poison so all I need to do is give you an itsy-bitsy scratch and bam-o you drop dead."

Honestly, I view Altaer as the subsidiary complement to David -- a sidekick (with tons of sass) if you will. They complement each other -- Altaer is more-or-less close range (sure, he can throw his seax, but even with super speed and accuracy there is a distinct limit on that) beserker; Dr. MacBeth is a long-range assassin type.

Again, I'm going to submit to the regulations as they stand because it isn't THAT much skin off my nose, so to speak, but I would like to hear what the mods/general majority thinks about keeping The Doctor and The Fixer as a Duo.
    Last edited by Alphaeus; 10-15-2016 at 11:37 AM.
    "" ~ Index
    Spoiler for More stuff:

Separate. If I recall right, David isn't that weak. John wasn't a whole lot back in the day, and Serif and Dante hug that line as well. There are weaker characters who work.

Meh, just forget it.

Dr. David MacBeth is my char. That's that. Done is done...besides, I haven't been having David make full use of his Reflections.
    "" ~ Index
    Spoiler for More stuff:

Of Regret and Longing. Kamiroo Wolf's Avatar
    These sound pretty reasonable. I have no complaints ^_^
    Current wRHG : Baer

Availability:
    Ready.

I have a question regarding the 3rd rule. How does this apply to Alice for Bl.An.C. and Lyle for Ashe Mercay? Technically they do participate, albeit not combat wise. They're more there for information and assistance.
    Last edited by ErrorBlender; 10-15-2016 at 08:09 PM.

Spoiler for :

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information