StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!

Thread: Consumed by Darkness (A Nightshade Story)

Consumed by Darkness (A Nightshade Story)

Evil can be a teacher,
    if you look at the wisdom of its negative power.
    -Tom Brown Jr.
    -----
    Blood dripped slowly from his hand. Drip, drip, drip. The pool on the floor widened further and further as the dark red liquid appeared black on the ground. Death could be such a cruel, yet intoxicating mistress. It sang such sweet songs in the minds of madmen, told a truth that lulled the uninitiated into the sweetest of slumbers. Nightshade knew death well. He’d been at the cusp of drinking from its chalice. He’d sent many others to have the taste before him. Slowly, he brought forth his soaked hand to his lips. He tentatively brought his tongue forth.

It was like every cell in his body lit on fire. It was delicious revulsion.

“Why won’t you just kill me?” The question hung in the air like a fog, obscuring Nightshade’s delight. It was a nuisance. He didn’t appreciate being distracted from what little still gave him pleasures in life. Pulling out a handkerchief, he cleaned his hand thoroughly before adjusting his tie. His hand was still stained red, though the darkness gave it a deeper shade. The lighting set what he felt to be a more proper mood. He preferred the darkness anyways. It was comforting. Reassuring. Reminiscent of home.

“Because, Mr. L'Écuyer, we’ve still much to do, and you’ve still much suffering to go through. Don’t worry, none of your injuries thus far have been fatal. The pain you’re experiencing is simply because I’ve been targeting specific areas to inflict as much as possible.” He pulls up his chair and takes a seat to look Charles in the face. “Now, are you feeling a touch more enthusiastic in regards to telling me what I’d like to know?”

L'Écuyer spat at him, blood and spittle landing on Nightshade’s cheek. “You’re fucking sick.” The pale man calmly cleaned his cheek, glaring coldly at the Frenchman from his dark position, only his eyes truly visible. Despite being entirely black, they seemed to admit an ethereal light. L'Écuyer found himself once more being drawn slowly into them.

“Oh, I’m not sick; of that I can assure you. I am, however, patient and methodical. You see, I don’t much actually need you at all. The information you have, I can get from many others. But you know, that just means I have other resources for when you inevitably break. You could say that this is just an appeal to your… I suppose good nature is what you would call it, but it’s not so simple a thing now is it? On the one hand, if you give in and begin talking, then you’ve gone and betrayed everything you stand for as well as seal your fate as a dead man. On the other hand, you can simply sit here, with me, suffering until you either die or succumb to lunacy, at which point you’ll no longer be of use. Then I simply bring someone else in.”

“What makes you think they’ll be any more willing than me?” There was a certain defiance in his voice that gave Nightshade a slight chill. Despite what he’d been through so far, despite the blood dribbling from his empty eye socket as the eyeball, with its optic nerves still attached watched his lap as it swing to the side of his nose. There was still strength in him. Proper strength that could shattered.

“Well, to begin, I doubt I’ll need to bother. You see, you’re going to tell me exactly what I want to know. Then, you’re going to beg me to tell me even more.I know this, because I know you. I know you better than you know yourself. I could rip everything I need from your mind at any moment.” As he speaks, L'Écuyer finds himself drifting further and further into those eyes. Those orbs that lacked any form of human conscience. “But you see, your pain. Your suffering. Your hatred and anger. It is delicious. It’s the sweetest nectar for me. So, before we proceed further, let’s get back to your torture, shall we?”

Without waiting, Nightshade slices open Charles’ chest. Blood spurts out and freely flows like the screams from L'Écuyer’s throat, but just like the screams, the blood never quite reaches Nightshade, who remains immaculate. Removing a powder from his pocket, he pours it into his hand before spreading it on both sides of the wound. The grey powder quickly darkens in contact with the blood, then clots and forms seals on either side. The seals are scab-like in nature, dark and ugly against the Frenchman’s now exposed chest.

“That drug I just used is to help prevent blood loss. Interestingly enough, I can expand the wound and you’ll no longer bleed at all. Isn’t it just fascinating? There’s obviously practical use for it in the medical field, but I much prefer using it for purposes such as these.” Grabbing both sealed edges of the wound, he forces it open wider. L'Écuyer begins to scream louder, his eye forced to watch the entire process.

Once an excess of his chest had been exposed, Nightshade leaned back to marvel at him. The bones were darkened by blood, but the white calcium still shone through well enough. Despite everything, it was dry. The drug was even more effective than he’d anticipated. Then again, the only tests on the effects of the drug were on animals. He appreciated how effective it appeared to be. Charles’ breaths became ragged, very ragged. Nightshade watched as his lungs expanded and contracted within his chest. How truly fascinating the human body was.

“Now, I know you think that things can’t get worse, that the only thing that can come from this is death. Allow me to remove that notion.” Pressing a single knuckle against L'Écuyer’s chest, he presses forward with inhuman strength. The bone cracks quickly beneath the stress.

Charles screams renew themselves.

Nightshade smiles, pulling free a chip of bone and places it in his mouth. He crunches the bone into dust and swallows, before pulling out his phone. Checking it, his smile widens a tad. “Good news, Mr. L'Écuyer. Your wife and daughters are just outside the chambers. I’m sure you miss them dearly. Would you like to see them?”

“You monster. You fucking monster. Leave them the fuck out of this!”

“Oh, language sir. You should really watch that tongue of yours. You might just lose it if you keep that up?” He glances to the side. “Of course, the sins of the father are often born upon their children. And you just so happen to have three.”

“You wouldn’t dare.”

“Is that a challenge? I do hope it is, because that would mean you’ve given me every reason to prove how serious this situation is and how truly powerless and insignificant your lives are.”

Slowly, it dawned upon Charles just how twisted and dark this creature before him was. It had no heart. It wouldn’t stop. There was no emotions with it, no connection to humanity. It was evil incarnate. It was unfeeling, cold, and it wouldn’t stop, even if he satisfied its demands.

And it had his family. What was there left to fight for? He knew his life was over. Their lives were likely over as well. At this point, it was only a matter of negotiating how long it would take. How much pain there was left. As the thoughts filled him, he found his heart seemed to be crushed by grief, the feeling thick as black honey. Just as quickly as it poured into him, it seemed to also drain out, cycling about within him in a vortex of despair. Nightshade’s hand meets his shoulder, almost lovingly. It felt as though the devil’s nightmares had taken placed themselves before him.

“That’s it, Mr. L'Écuyer. That feeling of surrender is exactly what I wanted from you. Now, let’s have a proper talk, shall we?”

“Alright. I’ll tell you where the information on the original Night Creatures is located, as well as how to completely remove your data from the systems. I’ll also give you all of the information on the research projects we have, as well as our data on multiverse travel and other planet colonization.” Nightshade leans in close.

“Good boy. Now, what would you like in return?”

“I just ask that you don’t prolong it. If you’re going to kill them, just make it quick. I don’t want them to suffer. I… I don’t want them to see me like this.”

“That is certainly a deal I can make, Mr. L'Écuyer. Now, tell me everything you can. Don’t be afraid of adding details; the more I know, the less my interest in them.”

-----

Nightshade wiped his mouth with his handkerchief, the rag now stained to a point where it could never be truly clean again. With a mild disgust upon his face, he disposes of it. Charles L'Écuyer had given him more than enough information. Most of it, he’d already known. Still, new information was new information. It hadn’t been easy to get such a high ranking RHG executive in a position to be extracted, but he’d been known to do the impossible before; that, and Bastet was very, very good at her job.

Still, it took longer for his family to break than he’d expected. It was an unexpected benefit; Charles had no idea that they’d been watching since he’d first entered. Every strike, every bit of pain he’d gone through… they’d seen it all. The slow removal of his eye, the almost delicate and precise shattering of each bone within his hands and arms. The way Nightshade almost lovingly stabbed into his abdomen with his bare hands, wringing his insides and yet forcing him to stay alive.

Once they’d seen his chest get ripped open, they finally cracked. Then, Nightshade had to simply inform him that they were there. It wasn’t as though they weren’t going through their own… treatments, as well. The former Mrs. L'Écuyer in particular had become popular with the male slaves, and it was good to find a way to boost morale here and there. He’d give them the eldest daughter as well; what was left of her, anyways. Her mind seemed to have gone dumb some time during the last hour of the session. Those who suffered often felt better when given the chance to inflict suffering on others. It would also satisfy their more base needs.

The younger two daughters… they would prove useful elsewhere. There were experiments to be had. More soldiers were always a benefit. If they were failures, they either died or they became tools to be used up and thrown aside as needed. Yes, this had turned very profitable indeed. With a slight belch, Nightshade exited the room. The cleaning slaves entered immediately to dispose of whatever was left over.

There wasn’t much.

Spoiler for What I've Obtained:

Always like your villain stories, Azure! Typically a pretty safe bet there'll be some solid violence wherever Nightshade's name is

Brings back memories, huh, Crank? I kinda wanna write out more stories with Nightshade and the NCO, but of I do they'll have to be spread out considerably. I don't think I can write any proper stories with them that won't in some way be deeply violent.

fantastic.. i love villain stories, but waiting for some different now

I'm still trying to decide if you're a bot or not.

Reminds me of the Presidential race. :P

Excellent work, as always Azzy.

I still want to write some of these Olit stories with you sometime.
    My wRHG Canon: The Remarkable Life of Altaer
    "oh fuck yeah, taco, you've been naughty" ~ Vorpal
    "" ~ Index
    Spoiler for More stuff:

I'd ask how, but then I'd get an answer, and that would trouble me. That said, I'm always eh when it comes to collabs due to them being, well, collabs. I'm terrible when it comes to working with others (try asking Haru how long it took for the collab between clan leaders).

Besides, I mostly try to do things in canon outside of how it affects most people, or things that are just entirely irrelevant to everything and everyone. Because I'm a nutter and an ass and also a bastard.

Oh, I wasn't saying collabs, I was talking about just interweaving our over-arching storylines on a few points. But yeah, if that doesn't work with you, I'm cool with that.

EDIT: just curious...Nightshade did "eat" that fellow, more or less, didn't he? Or am I reading too far into things?
    My wRHG Canon: The Remarkable Life of Altaer
    "oh fuck yeah, taco, you've been naughty" ~ Vorpal
    "" ~ Index
    Spoiler for More stuff:

Oh, he definitely ate him. And he made his family watch.

Thread Information