StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!
Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Risky Business [Forum Game]

Canadian Risky Business [Forum Game]

After 5 minutes I still can't think of a good opening line, so buckle up fuckers we're doing this live

This is designed to be a bit like Risk, but what I'm really shooting for is a strategy game that's simple, fast-paced-ish, and has good depth to it without losing its simplicity. As usual (read: every forum game I've ever run ever) I haven't actually designed this game yet and it'll be made up on the spot as I write out this post, so LET'S SEE HOW IT GOES

The Game:

Made to support 2-6 players. I will design a symmetrical, circular, Free For All styled map, made to fit however many players we get. Each player will have a defensible starting location on the outskirts, bordering some neutral territories before running into areas within another player's influence. Acquiring these territories gets you more gold per turn. Gold is used on buying everything from units to upgrades, etc. It'll all make perfect sense soon.

In the center of the map will be a territory that grants huge gold on the turn it's acquired, before normalizing to a (still high) gold per turn after. He who controls the center grows a lot more powerful on each turn he holds it. This basically means expanding outwards is a lot better than holing up most of the time.

You'll be taking territories by battling the units stationed there. Battles will be fought with 3 kinds of units: Archers, Infantry, and Cavalry. Each is strong against or weak against the other, kind of like rock paper scissors. This changes a bit if you upgrade a unit type, but I'll explain that later.

Battles:

In battle, one unit will destroy one unit before dying. A battle of 50 vs 51 will leave the winning side with 1 unit left normally. But it gets deeper than that. Here's a basic example of what's strong against what:

Archers -> Infantry
    Cavalry -> Archers
    Infantry -> Cavalry

So in a battle of 50 archers vs 50 cavalry, the victorious side will win with 25 cavalry left.
    "But Devour, what if my country has 25 archers and 25 cavalry verse 50 infantry?" I hear you ask. Well my man, when you have multiple different units on a country, they have to take their turns. Think of it like having some units in the front while others wait in the back line. People will have to tell me if they want their Archers in Line 1 and their Cavalry on Line 2. Infantry on Line 3 if they have that too. In this setup, the Cavalry won't fight until all the Archers are dead. I know it's kind of gimmicky but hey, it's the price we pay for simplicity.

Spending Gold:
    All units cost the same, regardless of type or how upgraded they are. I'll decide/balance the exact numbers later. If you spend gold on units, they won't be available until the next turn. Additionally, you can only spawn units on a place that you have a Castle. That's an upgrade you can buy. Wew lads.

Upgrades will be things you can do to utilize your huge piles of $$$$$. Here's the gist of all the different upgrades you can get:
    A Unit Upgrade levels up a specific unit type by 1.
    Level 2 Archers will be able to fight Level 1 Cavalry as if they are not weak to them, and they will be twice as strong against level 1 Infantry. But level 2 Cavalry will be normal against level 2 Archers again. There's no limit to how much you can upgrade a unit, but it gets more expensive every time.
    A Province Upgrade gives a permanent perk to a province. You can get Walls (Expensive. Basically levels up all attacked units by 1), a Castle (lets you spawn units in that province rather than just at your capital), or a Mine (make more gold in that province).

If you conquer someone's province, you get all their upgrades as long as you own it. But if you think you won't hold that province for long it only takes until the end of next turn to raze it all down and remove the province's upgrades.

Important Clarification:

After upgrading a unit type, your current units of that type on the map are not upgraded. You'll have to spawn new ones

Starting:

You can pick a specific start depending on your playstyle. Aggressive, Defensive, or Scientific.
    All starting provinces have Castles in them.

Aggressive: Start with a few extra units. Your first Castle only costs half as much, allowing you to expand better.
    Defensive: On turn 3, walls will be built on every province you own.
    Scientific: A unit type of your choice begins the game at Level 2.

Making Moves:

PM me your actions for each round. It'll be pretty intuitive: Just say which units from which province you want to move where, as well as the order you want them to battle in. Upgrades will be simple as well, literally just tell me what you want.

Also, you can move an army one country per turn. You can move as many armies as you have space or units for at the same time.

Winning:
    The game ends when someone has become so powerful that there's no way he'll be stopped. Probably by permanent control of the center.

This will all be organized into neat spoiler boxes when the game begins, to make it easy to look through everyone's upgrades and gold and etc. For now, sign-ups are available. We won't be starting until Skeleton's Break the Game remix is over at the very least.

Players:
    -Vorpal
    -Aquila
    -Person
    -Ai
    -Doom
    -Arch

Edit: The map and numbers have been released!

Spoiler for Fucking huge:

-Your capital will be at one of the stone tablets on the outskirts.
    -You can advance over any green line in between each circles. The only access to the center is in territories within equal reach of your neighbors.
    -Each territory will be defended by independent units that you must battle with to take them.
    -It will be possible to conquer the water as if it's a territory, but a very large number of independent units will be stationed there, making it pretty much impossible until lategame. It also won't give gold when taken--just access to all the bordering provinces.

GOLD INFO
    Territories:

-Capitals will give 400 gold a turn. Territories will give 150 gold a turn.
    -The golden center will give you 2000 gold when you take it, and 600 gold per turn passively.

Units:
    All units will cost 20 gold each.
    Upgrading a unit will be an expensive thing that gives huge benefits. The costs are:
    Spoiler for Unit upgrade costs:

Battering Ram
    -Costs 1500 to build. Spawned at a castle.
    -When attacking a province with a wall, your army gains a power level equal to how walls upgrade the defending army.
    -Destroyed when used
    -Can't kill enemy units in battle
    -Always attacked last in an army
    -Marked by a B on the map.

Province Upgrades:

Castles will cost 2000 to build.
    Walls will cost 1500 to build. The cost is mitigated because of the free level upgrade to all units inside, which becomes hella cost effective at higher levels.
    Gold Mines are designed to pay for themselves in 2 turns at level 1. Each upgrade becomes less cost effective. Some tricky diminishing returns shit going on here:
    Spoiler for Mine upgrade costs:

The map will be populated with your starting units and the map's independent settlers once we begin.
    Last edited by Devour; 12-19-2016 at 02:13 AM.

Spoiler for Turn 16:

Cyan: Aquila -Defensive
    8430G
    Level 2 Cavalry
    Level 2 Infantry

Didn't submit turn.

+3000G

Orange: Skeleton - Scientific
    Level 3 Archers
    Level 3 Infantry
    3540G

I shall buy 35 level 3 infantry on middle 10 (700G)

+1800G

Navy: Jutsu - Aggressive
    Level 2 Archers
    Level 3 Cavalry
    Level 3 Infantry
    5300G

Upgrade Cavalry to level 3 -3000
    Buy 40 Cavalry on inner 11 -800
    Buy 45 Infantry on inner 11 -900

+5250G

Purple: Alphaeus - Scientific
    3680G
    Level 2 Cavalry
    Level 2 Infantry
    Level 2 Archers

+800G

Arch: Brown - Defensive
    Level 2 Archers
    Level 4 Cavalry
    6610G

Buy A2 (1500)
    spawn 50A2 at 5 (1000)

Captured mid! +2000G

+5700G
    Last edited by Devour; 12-31-2016 at 01:43 AM.

Yoooooooooo you're in

Important Clarification:
    -After upgrading a unit type, your current units of that type on the map are not upgraded. You'll have to spawn new ones
    Last edited by Devour; 11-06-2016 at 07:52 PM.

Sign me up yo

Hey this reminds me of Mantra's game Conquest! Sign me up pls

I am prepared to meet my maker.
    Whether or not he's prepared to meet me....
    well that's another matter, isn't it?
    Spoiler for Infinite Battle:

Return of Asshat Supreme 969_DoomsDruid_969's Avatar
    HELLO BOYZ! *cue obligatory goddamnit dooms is here
    To quote Firewall in btg, sign me up b0ss.

I am a quality shitposter(and Magnificent Bastard). You, on the other hand, are a shit-quality poster.

Spoiler for Writing Motto:

Spoiler for me:

(made a wRHG)
    (wants to join a clan for the time being)

this reminds me of the game that me and nish played where nish dominated as usual.

count me in unless i say otherwise, because uni'll be back in a week
    Spoiler for kankanmikan:

Yea Ai that's the game I'm talking about. Where archers were overpowered!

I am prepared to meet my maker.
    Whether or not he's prepared to meet me....
    well that's another matter, isn't it?
    Spoiler for Infinite Battle:

lmao i dont remember any mantras
    Spoiler for kankanmikan:

I would like to participate in the virtual warfare on one condition: If I ever build infantry units and they kill other units, the killing blow will be dealt via RKO.
    SPAC: Genesis

"Everything I've done up until now... it was all for nothing."

Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information