StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Max Langford - The Dice Roller (SLEEPY TIME)

Max Langford - The Dice Roller (SLEEPY TIME)

Any battles with Handy have been postponed until I bring him back. Sorry, folk. I need a break from the big guy to help get the ol' will to write back. He was a bit of a selfless character, focusing only on others' characters. I fancy a char of my own to work with. Spice things up to get the gears turning.

Name: Max Langford

Appearance: Wears casual clothes, work clothes are a short-sleeved white shirt and dark grey trousers. Sneakers. Has long brown hair in a ponytail. Some facial hair, not a lot. Simple glasses. Thin but somewhat lean. 6’1”

Personality: Max is a man of simple tastes, as he is rather subdued and apathetic in his desires. He has the inkling of desire for more, but it isn’t large enough to inspire him to strive for it. Due to his ability, he is predisposed toward addiction, so he’s always strived for self-control as to not give into it. He’d rather do something by his own hand than risk catastrophe, even at the chance of extreme success.

Spoiler for Backstory:

Ability: Max can perform any action normally, but if he wants to, he can roll a sort of mental dice to change how well he performs an action. When he rolls, he can mentally visualise the dice rolling. The twist is that the author rolls this dice IRL (or via this website) for Max’s rolls, no rerolls. This means that I and you, as the writers, have to put ourselves in Max’s shoes. Is the chance really worth it?

https://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm

A following, interesting effect of this ability is that Max’s power is, in effect, true randomness. Upon use of this power, he is completely removed from ‘fate’, that being the story the author has planned. Using Max’s dice means you would likely need to alter the story on the fly. Note: No matter how bad his roll, he won't die from it. Consider it self-preservation of the coin.

Twenty-sided die: Easy to understand. Numbers 2 through 10 are a failure, getting worse the lower they get. Numbers 11 through 19 are successes, the higher the better. A 10/11 is barely losing/winning the task, whereas a 2/19 is failing/succeeding as best as realistically possible. Upon a 1, a critical fail happens, or upon a 20, a critical success. These bend reality to achieve their effects. A note about this dice is, because of its nature, Max can reduce the chance of any success or failure to a pure 50/50. ‘Million-to-one chances’ are gone to him.

(LOCKED) Ten-sided die: Numbers 1-9 range from failing as hard as realistically possible, to succeeding moderately well. Equal to a 2-15 on the 1d20. There is no critical fail on this dice, but that is balanced by how a roll that lands on 1-7 is a failure. But, upon hitting a 10, one can reroll the dice and add onto that 10. If one does that and hits at least a 17, it’s like a critical success. Any further than that, and it gets crazy. Success is a slimmer chance here, but the success is potentially infinite.

(LOCKED) Coin: This coin is a 50/50 chance item. It has no memorable details aside from a head on one side and some sort of symbol on the other. This dice is somewhat similar to the 1d20. If Max chooses a side, and it lands on it, it’s a critical win. Else, it’s a critical fail. Extremely high risk.

It is unknown how these last two will be unlocked, or if any more will be discovered. (He knows nothing of these, it's just fair warning for potential future stories.)

He's also human.

Weaknesses: Being a civilian, he has never truly needed combat or to use his mind in situations of pressure. He is also subject to the weaknesses of the common citizen, as he would rather surrender than fight back when confronted, or would rather ignore something potentially bad and hope someone else does it. He is subdued and would fall in line.

His ability is also a double-edged sword. It can harm him equally as much as boon him. Due to that, it is perfectly balanced. It also means that there is the real possibility that, in my own story, he could lose. But then again, anyone can. It's a lot to juggle for him, the power of pure randomness.

Spoiler for Demo:
    Last edited by RichardLongflop; 12-19-2016 at 10:22 PM.

I have a few questions. Nothing wrong, but I would like answers. How would we implement the dice thing from another gladiator's perspective? Does this have to be from Max's perspective? Also, why is the ten sided die and coin locked when the coin is even in your character's history? Other than that, this looks pretty interesting although I have to say i'm sad to see the big guy go. But you are entitled to change your character like everyone else so I wish you luck

On another note, one of these days your dice mechanic is going to write you into a corner unless you fudge the results. I guarantee it.
    Last edited by Urako; 12-09-2016 at 04:39 PM.
    I believe in Jesus Christ as my Savior. If you're not afraid to admit it then paste this into your signature.

I am a self-proclaimed wRHG fight instigator.

Here is my wRHG character Dozer!

Quote Originally Posted by Urako View Post
    I have a few questions. Nothing wrong, but I would like answers. How would we implement the dice thing from another gladiator's perspective? Does this have to be from Max's perspective?
    Hah, no, you don't write from Max's perspective. But, how like a DM in a game of DnD makes secret rolls, you can imagine what Max is doing out-of-sight and roll for that. Though, you'd probably need to somewhat explain it when he reappears.

Also, why is the ten sided die and coin locked when the coin is even in your character's history?
    As a kid, it sorta dissolved into his system. As he progresses- in what, I've yet to really nail down- his powers will get 'stronger', as in, more potential or risk. The 1d20 seems to be the simplest thing currently. Perhaps he more he seriously uses them, the more he has? The coin is powerful, and I expect to revise it in future, so you can probably imagine why it's an endgame thing.

Other than that, this looks pretty interesting although I have to say i'm sad to see the big guy go. But you are entitled to change your character like everyone else so I wish you luck
    This is just a break from Handy! Handyman had no character to him, really. I couldn't focus on who he was, so I had to focus instead on what he was. I felt like a break from that to do something more... normal-y could benefit my mind. So when I do go back to Handy, I can wreck face.

On another note, one of these days your dice mechanic is going to write you into a corner unless you fudge the results. I guarantee it.
    Hah, yeah, I expect it. It'll certainly be an experience. Perhaps I can revise things a little to show that! Like, how a bad roll can never kill him, and that in weaknesses, he can lose in his own story. Though that'll certainly be something. But remember, this guy isn't so much about his power, moreso his responsibility with it. Manage risks. It'll be tough to write stories with him, I admit, but it's a fun sorta tough.

I have two other questions. Since the die warp reality, can a huge success/failure make other characters act out of character or make them more power (I.E. would rolling a 1 to disable Dozer's staff give him a red charge instead)? Also, what stops him from just rolling to win? It's less risk than deciding by a bunch of rolls.

Apart from these questions, I do wish you well and I look forward to seeing how on earth you're going to pull this randomness off. Best of luck to you sir.
    I believe in Jesus Christ as my Savior. If you're not afraid to admit it then paste this into your signature.

I have two other questions. Since the die warp reality, can a huge success/failure make other characters act out of character or make them more power (I.E. would rolling a 1 to disable Dozer's staff give him a red charge instead)?
    It entirely depends upon the situation. I wouldn't think that it could conjure up a stronger power, moreso just affect the people. The staff may not have a red charge but, upon hit, it would seem to strike harder than normally possible. The critical wins/fails have a habit of conjuring stuff may cause kinetic energy to form from nowhere, or to change some brain chemistry of others to change how they perceive his action, or him.

Also, what stops him from just rolling to win? It's less risk than deciding by a bunch of rolls.
    He can only roll on actions he performs. He can't exactly roll 'to win'. That's the ends, he can only affect the means, and it's far too risky to do anything like that. His fear is balance for all that. Besides, you gotta be sensible with this stuff as a writer, too. The dice gives you the roll, you decide what you can do that's on that level.

And thanks! I'm really wanting to have this dude start off in some event or something I could join in, and get into battles after. Work my way up, y'know?

Quote Originally Posted by Waffles
    And Max, as a dumb toddler, found that coin and ate it. The little idiot.
    I absolutely love this char. I remember you sharing him to me months ago...glad to see you finally did something with him.

Also, I'd love to write something with you some time. Not necessarily a battle, per se. Idk. Something. This dude would be a blast to write with.
    My wRHG Char: The Fixer
    "oh fuck yeah, taco, you've been naughty" ~ Vorpal
    "" ~ Index

~Arch

~^^ENTER THE TUNNEL^^~

The Father of the Gods SriGraecus's Avatar
    I've got to agree, he sounds amazing. I've always had a bit of an issue with games of chance. I love them too much, and my life gets pretty serious when a game like Monopoly comes around.

Writing something with you would be grand, but I hold very low expectations for myself on that count. My, what work can do to you. Well, regardless, if you ever want to write something with some guy, I exist, and I wish you good luck in anything you do with this character.
    これは 私の遺産.
    (This is my legacy)

(Witness my greatest acomplishment)
    立ち会う私の最大の 成果

Quote Originally Posted by SriGraecus View Post
    I've got to agree, he sounds amazing. I've always had a bit of an issue with games of chance. I love them too much, and my life gets pretty serious when a game like Monopoly comes around.

Writing something with you would be grand, but I hold very low expectations for myself on that count. My, what work can do to you. Well, regardless, if you ever want to write something with some guy, I exist, and I wish you good luck in anything you do with this character.
    Sure thing! Since Max is a civilian-type guy right now, I think the start of his 'career' here would be best done with non-fighting stories. Like friendlier, collaborative stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardLongflop View Post
    Sure thing! Since Max is a civilian-type guy right now, I think the start of his 'career' here would be best done with non-fighting stories. Like friendlier, collaborative stuff.
    A collab could be cool eventually. Maybe he pays a visit to an arena to watch a fight or something? He'd want a better understanding of what was up against and what he got himself into so why not watch a few matches and interview a few fighters?
    Last edited by Urako; 12-15-2016 at 09:00 PM.

It's more along the lines of, he's got potential in him, he is getting a little tired of 'the norm', but he wouldn't outwardly seek stuff like that. If anything, it'd be encountering a gladiator and having them talk him into it a bit, of their own volition. I think Chromium's gonna do that with me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information