StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: the political compass test

if you want to understand why someone would be right-wing, just read some Milton Friedman or something.

also, a lot of my "authoritarian" answers come from the general principle of "government should try to improve society" -- not "people should be oppressed"

here's a similar test with a libertarian right wing bias, which is kind of interesting: http://spekr.org/

no guys index clearly wants another hitler

also, while blue might seem unthinkable-batshit-tier to you, the political compass site ranks a lot of milquetoast politicians as deep blue...

https://www.politicalcompass.org/uselection2012
    https://www.politicalcompass.org/uselection2016

but that might just be their bias against them?
    Last edited by Index; 02-02-2017 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by devi View Post
    Arch, your homoness for Alph is showing.

I do think having a debate about the prioritization between Punishment and Rehabilitation is an interesting thing to talk about. Both sides are good in their own right and both are important, but as with most things, the overuse of one will end up making things worse. I decided to just choose agree on that prioritization one (since it doesn't have neutral, because your either with or against as fucking usual), but I strongly believe you have to have both for criminals to learn and leave the shit hole that prisons can be. What do you think Vorpal?
    I don't see any positive arguments in favor of punishment over rehabilitation coming from my countries prison complex/justice system. If all you care about is that the criminals suffer, then I guess it's great. But the fact is that Americas prisons have this large a percentage of people in it should be absolutely alarming.

Some criminals do need to be punished, some criminals can't or wont be helped. But there's a thing called recidivism rate and we're failing at it epically. Our prisons are jam packed and the number of repeat offenders is very high. In other words, we're failing to prevent criminal activity on a cultural level.
    And it sucks ass because when we observe other civilized nations and how they have such low recidivism, it's almost like I dunno...they're doing things rather differently?

It also doesn't help that we're just now working through shit that should be easy, like legalizing marijuana. How are we ever going to keep our laws updated at our current pace?

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    I don't see any positive arguments in favor of punishment over rehabilitation coming from my countries prison complex/justice system. If all you care about is that the criminals suffer, then I guess it's great. But the fact is that Americas prisons have this large a percentage of people in it should be absolutely alarming.

Some criminals do need to be punished, some criminals can't or wont be helped. But there's a thing called recidivism rate and we're failing at it epically. Our prisons are jam packed and the number of repeat offenders is very high. In other words, we're failing to prevent criminal activity on a cultural level.
    And it sucks ass because when we observe other civilized nations and how they have such low recidivism, it's almost like I dunno...they're doing things rather differently?

It also doesn't help that we're just now working through shit that should be easy, like legalizing marijuana. How are we ever going to keep our laws updated at our current pace?
    You guys have the unfortunate case of cultural poverty. People raised in low income areas, most of the time ghettos, are raised in an environment where being a criminal (gangster, thug, whatever you want to call it) is glorified and accepted. Everyone is in shit so why not make it shittier for everyone else and make it look like its cool to be shit. The stats of black on black crime just speak for themselves. Even if you were to theoretically reduce the poverty dramatically, the culture will be there like tumor and it won't leave quickly. Thanks to that too, those that have been imprisoned and later get out, will more than likely do criminality as usual, since its a cultural thing.

Admittedly, American prisons is not something I am especially acquainted, so the type of punishments that happen there are beyond my knowledge.

You guys have the unfortunate case of cultural poverty. People raised in low income areas, most of the time ghettos, are raised in an environment where being a criminal (gangster, thug, whatever you want to call it) is glorified and accepted. Everyone is in shit so why not make it shittier for everyone else and make it look like its cool to be shit. The stats of black on black crime just speak for themselves. Even if you were to theoretically reduce the poverty dramatically, the culture will be there like tumor and it won't leave quickly. Thanks to that too, those that have been imprisoned and later get out, will more than likely do criminality as usual, since its a cultural thing.

Admittedly, American prisons is not something I am especially acquainted, so the type of punishments that happen there are beyond my knowledge.
    It's not brutal in the same way third world prisons are. But you can get caught in some real life gangster shit just for the color of your skin. To summarize as cleanly as possible, it's not a place conducive to self improvement.

It's not brutal in the same way third world prisons are. But you can get caught in some real life gangster shit just for the color of your skin. To summarize as cleanly as possible, it's not a place conducive to self improvement.
    Just the phrase third world prisons sends a shiver down my spine. Like fuck, china is not a place to go to jail in. You should just be there for a month and then end up there for a year with terrible living conditions.

But do tell me, how much do american prisons solitary confinement? I hear thats one of the things people are saying SHOULD be banned, due to the psychological trauma.

Just the phrase third world prisons sends a shiver down my spine. Like fuck, china is not a place to go to jail in. You should just be there for a month and then end up there for a year with terrible living conditions.

But do tell me, how much do american prisons solitary confinement? I hear thats one of the things people are saying SHOULD be banned, due to the psychological trauma.
    I'm not sure, but I do know most penitentiaries have solitary cells here. I guess it depends on how popular it is elsewhere. In all of our prison film and literature they mention or elude to "the hole" basically being put in solitary.

It definitely is torturous, albeit necessary for prisoners that have lost their shit and must be isolated.

I think with shit like solitary confinement to there is a purpose for it, but long term exposure to shit like that will really fuck someone up. I feel like short term but more frequent punishments resulting in it would be a better way to determine misbehavior in prisons. It also depends on what kind of prison you go to. Like I mentioned earlier there's a big difference in state prisons and privatized prisons. One is funded through head count solely while the other is actually the state government paying for it. I feel like means to rehabilitate should be offered, though not to an extreme scale that would undermine the initial reason that people are in prison, which is because they fucked up. Like I would be all for classes on cultural tolerance, diversity, etc, law, government, and classes on random things every so often. Offer resources like a library and what not with a couple education programs like finishing a GED or something where people can use some of their time productively rather than lifting weights and being angry. Obviously this doesn't speak for every prison in America, and every type of prisoner because there are the bat shit crazy ones that we should just put some copper in.

@Devi, you should check out the Shawshank Redemption if you haven't seen it already, it's a great movie and i think gives a semi-realistic insight on how im sure some less violent American prisons are.

I'm not sure, but I do know most penitentiaries have solitary cells here. I guess it depends on how popular it is elsewhere. In all of our prison film and literature they mention or elude to "the hole" basically being put in solitary.

It definitely is torturous, albeit necessary for prisoners that have lost their shit and must be isolated.
    I actually saw one of those discovery channel documentary things where prisons had this shit to where they would get like 0 human interaction. They weren't like in dark or anything, but they were alone and not allowed to leave their rooms for weeks one end to maybe months. Most people would pace back and forth in their room because there was nothing to do until the point where their feet left permanent imprints in the concrete floor. (and people are against waterboarding)
    SPAC: Genesis

"Everything I've done up until now... it was all for nothing."

I mean, if its for the safety of other inmates then I think its fine to put them in there. But not for too long, naturally. Just the concept of being stuck in a place with no contact with anything else for the longest time is frightening.

I did the spek test too while I was at it. I got libertarian capitalist
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=35i3...9#.WJOYLceQdnM

Quote Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
    @Devi, you should check out the Shawshank Redemption if you haven't seen it already, it's a great movie and i think gives a semi-realistic insight on how im sure some less violent American prisons are.
    I'll be sure to check it out when I can, I've heard about it before but not really looked into it.
    Last edited by devi; 02-02-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information