Note: Hey everyone, it's still Jeff posting but I'm now using this new official account in order to share access to this thread with someone who's willing to help me keep things better organized this time. Are you interested in helping out? Please drop me a PM on my main account and we can chat about it further! Thanks for the support, these competitions are stronger with the community behind them!
Remember when gaming was an underground subculture? Who cares, is anyone else watching the Spring NA LCS?
It's so hard to keep up with all the competitive gaming tournaments we have going on today, but we're big fans of eSports here at StickPage so this spring we are channeling the high energy competitive spirit of modern gaming with For Glory: eSports
! We want to see what sort of crazy exciting shown downs and stories the amazing animators of our community are capable of making! Choose any one or more eSports game
that you love and SHOW US what it's like from within that world. There are so many different genres, game modes, and game worlds to play around with, and interesting real world events to draw inspiration from
! This is also a great chance to experiment with following multiple narratives if you want to challenge yourself! You can be as meta as you want, or just stick to a setting that's within the game world. The best part? You can use music from the game if you want.
As long as the music you're using comes from the game you're animating, it's safe!
Last competition blew us away with the overall quality of submissions. Think we can top that for our first Spring competition? We will again be looking at the story you're able to come up with using the given source material, so try your best to think of an interesting angle! Good luck everyone!
Don't forget we would like all entrants to make a thread in the Works In Progress
forum and keep it updated with your progress as you animate your submission. Doing this is not a requirement but we will be granting bonus points to those that keep their thread up to date, so make sure you make your thread to collect those points! Here are some past examples of the kind of thread we want you to make:
Submissions will be scored on the following criteria:
- Story - Animation contains proper elements of a story such as setting, characters, plot, exposition, conflict, climax, and resolution
- Animation - Demonstration of technical animation skill. Things such as timing, rhythm, arcs, squash, stretch, etc. will all be taken into account.
- Art - Artistic ability. Includes aspects such as scene composition, use of color, perspective, lighting, attention to detail, etc.
- Direction - Your ability to direct an animation, taking in to account things like intent, story telling, emotion, use of music, use of sound effects, etc.
- Originality - We're looking for entrants to try new things! The more you set yourself apart the better.
- Posted Selections in Competition Thread
- Created WIP Thread
- Kept WIP Thread Updated
The animation itself accounts for the majority of total possible points, but final ranking is not determined solely by how good your animation is
. The above criteria will be scored out of 30, with 3 extra points for following the Extra section.
These competitions are designed to last a total of 2 and a half months, but we understand that life can get in the way. If you're in need of more time, you can submit any time before the absolute deadline (see below) but there will now be a 0.35 point lateness penalty off the final score for every day past the original deadline you take, so use this option wisely. Time management is a good discipline to have; this is to remain fair to those who put in the effort to finish on time.
| Competition Begins
The competition officially commences, entries can be submitted any time after this.
| Deadine - Judging Begins
Submit by this date! Judging starts this day!
| Absolute Deadline
This is the latest you can submit and still have your submission scored!
| Judging Ends - Winners Posted
The judges will submit their scores by this date, with winners being posted shortly after!
How To Enter
To enter the competition all you need to do is reply to this thread with the game(s) you have chosen to base your animation on. Every few days we will collect the names of people who've posted and add it to a list of participants which everyone will use to keep track of who's entered and their progress. You may still submit an entry even if you don't make a WIP thread or announce your choices here, but you will be at an automatic disadvantage to those who do! When you have finished your entry, ensure you've met all the requirements listed below and send me a private message with your PayPal email address and a link to the SWF or video download of your entry. We will collect submissions and announce the winners according to the timeline above. We will be releasing the submitted animations on a weekly schedule after the competitions ends, so remember not to leak your entry anywhere until two days after it goes up on official StickPage channels! If you do not supply a PayPal email address you will not be able to receive your prize if you win.
These must be followed in order for your submission to qualify. Failure to meet these requirements will automatically disqualify your entry.
- Must mainly focus on stick figures
- Must be a complete finished animation, cannot be split into multiple parts
- Must have sound effects & music
- Must contain a minimum of 90 seconds of animation excluding any introductions or credits
- Must contain official or custom StickPage branding (download official Flash package or MP4 video package), applied in the following ways:
- Introduction - A brief animated introduction to be placed at or reasonably near the very beginning of your animation, after any preloaders and before any other introductions
- Main Menu Link - If your animation is a SWF and has a menu, a link to StickPage must be present somewhere in it
- Watermark - A StickPage watermark must be present in the lower left-hand corner of the animation throughout playback, must be a link to StickPage if it's a SWF
- Credits - StickPage must also appear during the credits, must be a link if it's a SWF
- All released versions of the animation must contain the StickPage branding described above and no other branding except for the author's personal branding
- Must not be released until a two days after it goes up on official StickPage channels
- Must have a PayPal account to receive prize
- No Copyrighted Music - Except where otherwise noted, such as in this competition. You may freely use the music from the game you have chosen to animate. Otherwise we will no longer accept submissions with copyrighted music for legal reasons. Please see resource list below for options.
- Cursing - StickPage is frequented by a diverse range of people of various ages and cultures, and as such we tend to air on the side of caution when it comes to a controversial subject like whether or not swear words are appropriate. We would rather you avoid swearing completely within an animation.
- Extreme Gore - In the past some talented animators have gone a little overboard with their graphic depiction of violence and gore in their animation, and it left some viewers feeling uncomfortable. To avoid upsetting our viewers we may ask you to tone down some gore if it's too much. This is only in very specific circumstances where the depiction is realistic enough to affect viewers. Your average stick figure cartoon violence is still perfectly fine!
For this competition we're once again offering up a $5,000
prize pool across 15 placements! Check out our prize breakdown below:
1st - $1500
2nd - $900
3rd - $550
4th - $400
5th - $350
6th - $300
7th - $250
8th - $200
9th - $150
10th - $100
11th - $60
12th - $60
13th - $60
14th - $60
15th - $60
FAQ & Help
Not sure on something? Feel free to post questions in this thread! Common answers or good questions will be added below.
Do I have to use a game on that Wikipedia list?
No. There isn't always a consistent definition for what is an eSport, so if you want to do a game not on that list that's still a popular competitive game feel free!
What Music Can I Use?
Here are our entrants and their progress so far!
| Progress Threads: 0/0