StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!

View Poll Results: Is he overpowered?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

3 37.50%
  • No.

5 62.50%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Azarel "Violet" Stavros, the Bladeslinger

Sentient Training Dummy buckethead's Avatar
    hey vern have you ever just stopped to think that maybe some of the people who get on here are here just to improve their writing and that their writings may be the only thing that helps them feel better and that by criticizing them harshly you are making them feel even worse? I for one who writes to help me with my depression say that when i first got here i got nothing but encouragement and later on started passing on that by pointing out only minor errors or if i felt that their character was a little overpowered but other than that i let their creativity flow. i mean take my fire character Digkid. He is extremely overpowered being able to control earth at will.

oh and hey Azarel sorry that your character page turned into this "all out warfare"
    Do I look like a dummy to you? The answer is yes because I am a training dummy named Fred.

Slightly Critical
    hey vern have you ever just stopped to think that maybe some of the people who get on here are here just to improve their writing and that their writings may be the only thing that helps them feel better and that by criticizing them harshly you are making them feel even worse?
    It is hard to reply to this sentence because it is so contradictory in nature. If they're here both to improve and to help them feel better, don't you think they would be glad to receive any piece of useful critique? Using this advice they could improve their writing, and subsequently feel better about it. Sure, it may be a bit harsh and that sucks, but it's still useful critique and if you're serious about improving you'll take that in stride. I guess that's not what you're talking about, though.

I for one who writes to help me with my depression
    I'm sorry to hear about your depression, but I guess your point is that for people like you, who come here just to vent with their writing, critiques like mine might be a bit misplaced. And you're right. Crank pointed this out to me in private and I do agree that sometimes I am being excessively aggressive and harsh in my tone. Stuff like that does not help people who have their own insecurities to deal with, and it's not like I don't know that:

when i first got here i got nothing but encouragement
    Of course, you must realise that when you posted the training dummy I had seen the character, and trust me, I would've had a lot to scrutinise about your character. However, I passed on it because I know my harsh critique would be misplaced on you. You would have gotten little out of it and I'd have just made you feel worse, so I kept my mouth shut.

So why did I make a comment on Azarel's thread then? Because his character is severely lacking. The lack of any sort of backstory or demo leaves this character incomplete, which in itself is not that big an issue. However, if he is then fed the lie that this is tolerable, I will not stand to perpetrate that illusion.

One thing you must understand when writing to vent is that you can do so privately as well, share it between friends or in a closed environment. However, once you present one of your works in a public space, to be examined by your peers, you must accept the possibility that not all feedback will be positive. As I told Crank in private: had Azarel posted this character in a more serious environment, he would have been verbally torn to shreds and none would have bothered to look back at him. However, this is a more casual hobbyist environment, of course, and it is well that there is so much positive encouragement, but it is important that people keep both of their feet on the ground. If your work is bad, you will eventually be confronted with it and it is better that this happens sooner rather than later.

and later on started passing on that by pointing out only minor errors or if i felt that their character was a little overpowered but other than that i let their creativity flow. i mean take my fire character Digkid. He is extremely overpowered being able to control earth at will.
    I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here.

oh and hey Azarel sorry that your character page turned into this "all out warfare"
    It's not all-out warfare, buckethead. Crank and I took it to PM where we're talking it out, maturely. If you've grievances like these, you should PM them to me instead of making this a public matter. Again, the only reason I'm making this a public post in the first place is because I'm put in a position where I'm obliged to defend myself publicly.

If there's any more of you who were thinking of stating any issues with me, I urge you to do so in private because now Azarel's thread is indeed being derailed.

Food-loving Senior Member FalconX578's Avatar
    Somewhere over the rainbow and beyond the sea, A.K.A. Narnia (ah, no, did you think you'd get it?).
    @Azarel: Well, back on the topic of Azarel Zephyrus, I only said that he likes hunting demons was because at the time his title was the Legendary Demon Hunter. I also said he was like One because of the sword throwing aspect. Looking forward to the backstory and demo!
    I believe in Jesus Christ as my Savior. If you're not afraid to admit it then paste this into your signature.

Information:

wRHG: Farukon.
    wRHG Test Room: The Birdcage.
    Stick Empires Username: FalconX578.
    Quote Originally Posted by FalconX578;
    "Follow your passion, and life will reward you." ~Iroh

Quote Originally Posted by FalconX578 View Post
    @Azarel: Well, back on the topic of Azarel Zephyrus, I only said that he likes hunting demons was because at the time his title was the Legendary Demon Hunter. I also said he was like One because of the sword throwing aspect. Looking forward to the backstory and demo!
    Oh, I copy/pasted the code from the Demon Hunter, and edited some of the parts, but forgot to edit that. Sorry

Updates
    Fixed the Stats format, lowered his IQ, and specifications to Aerokinesis, changed Nationality to Ethnicity - thanks for telling me that Vern -, edited Blades of the Gods, Abilities and added a weakness.
    Last edited by Azarel CS.777; 09-23-2017 at 09:58 PM.
    Violet the Bladeslinger
    The Room of Warriors

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Savior. If you're not afraid to admit it then paste this into your signature.

Just better than you GreekGladiator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Azarel CS.777 View Post
    Changed Nationality to Ethnicity.
    Seems like you forgot to add one. It says 43% Japanese, 43%, 3% Norwegian, 1% English. Also this adds up to only 90%, and finally Stavros is a first name not a last name(if I understood correctly you put in his last name right?). Alternatively you could try Stavrou. With the ou instead of the os it legit last name.

Uh, I hate to be that guy who points out the smallest typo, but my eyes can't stand it.
    Last edited by GreekGladiator; 09-24-2017 at 01:09 AM.
    My wRHG: The Elementalist
    Have fun everybody!
    Spoiler for Truth:

Quote Originally Posted by GreekGladiator View Post
    Seems like you forgot to add one. It says 43% Japanese, 43%, 3% Norwegian, 1% English. Also this adds up to only 90%, and finally Stavros is a first name not a last name(if I understood correctly you put in his last name right?). Alternatively you could try Stavrou. With the ou instead of the os it legit last name.

Uh, I hate to be that guy who points out the smallest typo, but my eyes can't stand it.
    Oh yeah, sorry 'bout that. I'll fix it. But about the surname, I searched it up at surnames.behindthename.com, and nothing came up. What does it mean?
    Last edited by Azarel CS.777; 09-24-2017 at 01:18 AM.
    Violet the Bladeslinger
    The Room of Warriors

About the surname, I searched it up at surnames.behindthename.com, and nothing came up. What does it mean?
    Stavros is a greek name which originates from the greek word for cross. The surname Stavrou comes probably from people whose father's name was Stavros. Actually a week ago, I think, it was the name day for Stavros and, the female version, Stavroula. in free translation it is, the Day of the Cross(?).
    Have fun everybody!
    Spoiler for Truth:

Stavros is a greek name which originates from the greek word for cross. The surname Stavrou comes probably from people whose father's name was Stavros. Actually a week ago, I think, it was the name day for Stavros and, the female version, Stavroula. in free translation it is, the Day of the Cross(?).
    But his dad's name isn't Stavros, it's Alexis Haris. His surname is Stavros, but his name, nope.
    Violet the Bladeslinger
    The Room of Warriors

But his dad's name isn't Stavros, it's Alexis Haris. His surname is Stavros, but his name, nope.
    I know that. What I meant is that the surname originates from that. For example not every Jackson has a father named Jack.
    Have fun everybody!
    Spoiler for Truth:

I know that. What I meant is that the surname originates from that. For example not every Jackson has a father named Jack.
    Oh... okay then, I understand. But I think I wn't be editing that so, yeah. Sorry.

Changelog
    Added story and added a name that he calls himself, Violet.
    Violet the Bladeslinger
    The Room of Warriors

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information