StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Stickpage Academy of Writing -- Learning and Development Center

Hooks, and How to Use Them

In a nutshell, hooks are what keeps a reader reading your story. When they open your story, not sure what they're looking at or what it's about, a hook is what you use to capture their attention. Something interesting, or a small breadcrumb of information that hints what the catch to your story is. And like a breadcrumb trail, hooks are not one single sentence or one single moment in a story. If you create a good hook, decide that that was enough and then spend the rest of your story building up to your climax in melancholic fashion, you won't have the reader's interest by the time he reaches there.

There are also different sizes of hooks. Hints and clues of Bigger Things are one form of them. Bigger hooks are usually done in dramatic reveals, usually in pivotal moments in the story leading up to your Big Moment. Your story should be full of them, pulling the reader ever-closer to your big moment, and hopefully increasing their interest as it goes.

It's a breadcrumb trail indeed. In a wRHG battle, the 1st hook is usually your main character's supernatural powers, or the fact that they're getting ready to fight someone. Though it could be anything. Then, just as an example, further hooks can be things like raising the stakes if the MC loses, making the reader care about the battle's outcome. It can be complications, or perhaps simple Really Cool Ideas as supernatural beings did their supernatural things. As usual, it's examples Im giving here but I could never begin to list all the different ways you can do it.

Want to know another definition of Hooks? They're also called Complications. And those are what this image is about:

Imagine each dot as a complication to your story.A complication isn't only an obstacle for your character. A complication can also mean that your story is becoming more complicated, as more interesting information is introduced. You can have as many dots as you want, as long as it's not so many that it becomes overwhelming... or so few that the reader loses interest. Imagine them, peppered throughout your entire story, from the tiniest hooks to the greatest reveals.

This, hooks, and this format, are a foundation of how to create a story that keeps readers interested.
    Last edited by Devour; 11-17-2017 at 09:52 PM.

EVERYONE -- ANNOUNCEMENT

The Challenge system will be under construction starting this week, and will start full-throttle in December (if possible), but most likely January so that people can do their holiday stuff without worrying about deadlines and the like.
    My wRHG Canon: The Remarkable Life of Altaer
    "oh fuck yeah, taco, you've been naughty" ~ Vorpal
    "" ~ Index
    Spoiler for More stuff:

Writer

The Terminology of Story

The Terminology of Story

We've all been there at least once. We try to pick in on a conversation, only to realise we've got no clue what these people are talking about. It's almost like they're talking in an alien language. Well, to that I say no more. To make sure you won't be standing there smiling like an idiot, I'll tell you what's what. The concepts I'll cover will be handled in greater depth in their respective lessons, for now just try to familiarize yourself with them. That way, they won't seem as alien anymore when they pop up again in the future, and you'll have a point of reference. Without further ado, let's get to it.

Spoiler for The Fundamentals of Storytelling:

Spoiler for Structure:

Spoiler for Characters:

Spoiler for The Story Arch:

There are still concepts left untouched in this list, but these are the essential ones. Understanding what has been said here, is already understanding half of what I have to teach. All lessons following this one will, in a sense, simply be covering concepts touched on today in more depth. For those still doubting that stories share universal building blocks, why don't you grab your favourite movie, book and/or play and see how much of the above applies? If by then you're still doubting, grab a new story, and chances are you'll see the same elements recurring time and time again.

These are the unmistakable cornerstones of storytelling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information