StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Choose Your Own Adventure RPG Maker Game.

Eh, no thanks. I'm going to experiment some shit and improve and practice and do some other things before i'm "brave enough" to collab with people.
    Azarel "Technix" Lionsmane
    The Room of Warriors

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Savior. If you're not afraid to admit it then paste this into your signature.

Ok uh... thanks for offering to help then

Working on the intro, and then playable demo soon once it's done. Maybe that'll give people a better idea of what I need.

Wew

Edgy wew

Cute wew

Last edited by Devour; 12-02-2017 at 08:05 AM.

I see you use the sprite generator. The pictures look great, for me it will be a nice game !

Quote Originally Posted by Devour View Post
    Hello friends. As part of a fun project I'm undertaking, I basically want to create an interactive story instead of the same old stories and novels I've always been doing. For this, I'll be using the program RPG Maker VX Ace.

I'm doing basically everything. There's a ton of resources online for sprites, music, scripts, etc. and I can use the program pretty well. But hey, we're on a website about creating all sorts of media. So wouldn't it be more fun to get the community involved? If you can make music, I'd love to use your music for background music and sound effects. If you can draw and/or sprite, drawings of characters would be fantastic. Artists are probably the most needed of all, as I'd need aforementioned sprites and character faces, aforementioned faces with different emotions and expressions, background and overworld sprites, all that fun stuff. I'll go into more detail.

Optionally, we could use animators as well if animating actual cinematics or (non stick figure) action scenes would be an amazing addition. Larger drawings for CGs of important moments that shouldn't be left to description-by-text are another optional nice thing to have.

The premise of this CYOA is pretty generic. The protagonist is living an ordinary day in high school when an android from the future yanks him from his life and tries to save him... from separate forces that also want him dead. The android takes him back to her time, thinking she can keep him there and re-insert him into his timeline later, but something catastrophic happens which gives the protagonist limited time travel powers. He wakes up in his time again with the ability to save and load the game.

Neither side can act too rashly without making a big scene and altering the timeline too much, so it becomes a careful game of cat and mouse, trying to shake off your pursuers and find a way to use your new powers to tangle the flow of time so irreversibly that time travelers can no longer go back at all. Along the way, your dialogue options and decisions will shape the story, leaving a nice bunch of bad endings, good endings, and a true ending.

I haven't figured this out a whole lot yet myself, but I thought I'd see if I could garner any interest before I started pulling out too many free sources for this project. It won't be too long--and might be able to be beaten in 1-2 hours. Not too big of a project.

Want in?

To reiterate, I'll go into a bit more detail of what I might need. If you're a....:
    -Sound FX/Music maker
    I'll probably just need music for different moods or different intensities. The game will have a mix of different happy, sad, violent and suspenseful moments. Sound FX will be pretty generic stuff like slamming doors, gunshots, whatever, which I could probably find online.

-Spriter
    I'll be hoping for characters. In RPG maker this entails little sprites of this size:

(multiple images for a 3 frame walk cycle)
    And facial features of this size:

With varying different facial expressions. NPCs wont need many but main characters will have a wide range of emotions.

-Artist
    In RPG Maker, sprites will be the work of the most quantity. But if any artists want in, some larger and more detailed pieces may be backgrounds for cutscenes, full-sized drawings of main characters, or perhaps a still image of a pivotal moment in the story, rather than leaving those parts to the player's imagination.
    Artists could also make the game's UI if they want, because the default stuff looks like ass.

-Animator???
    Being a simple game, animations would be rather short. Perhaps they would be scenes of the good or evil android having moments of badassery. Maybe it'd be her going in for a kiss. Maybe it'd be blowing out a wall with a weapon built into her arm. The options would arise just by knowing we had animators.

-Perhaps a map maker?
    If you have RPG Maker and are good at making maps, GET AT ME <3

Edit: I'd also love to have ideas for some actual gameplay elements to this. It's RPG Maker, after all. An opportunity to have puzzles or roadblocks in the player's way during tense moments, survival sections if the protag is away from his android protector, etc etc. This thread can be about all sorts of discussion about what this game can hold.
    I made a thunder sound effect if u want to use it http://www.mediafire.com/file/vig17b...er+%281%29.mp3
    I also made a small remake of a popular GD song, At The Speed Of Light, using organs and a slower tempo: http://www.mediafire.com/file/unfv55...ht+organ+2.mp3
    EDIT: I replaced the old link with a new one because I forgot to add the pitch
    Eerie stuff http://www.mediafire.com/file/njjkdk...iohazard+2.mp3
    Last edited by op45667; 12-03-2017 at 12:51 PM.

Oh, hello friend with 1 post. Fancy that you're checking this thread out. I'll see if I can use those sounds once I get to work

I'm also about 1-2 hours of work away from finishing the intro/playable demo........!!!

With the demo done, I'll hopefully have a way of accurately listing what kind of stuff I need.
    Last edited by Devour; 12-03-2017 at 11:08 PM.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ss96pyuffzak4ck/Chasing_Phantoms.exe?dl=0

The demo's done!

So in here, all the sprites I used were free resources off the web. If you see basically anything in here that looks like something you can do, go ahead and do it lol. Google how RPG maker vx ace handles sprites if you want.
    All the sound effects are defaults given to me in the program. Same with the music.
    I dunno. If you see basically anything in here that makes you think "I could do better..." or for some things like the backgrounds, if you can do those at all, then hit me up and I'll show you how to do it.
    Last edited by Devour; 12-04-2017 at 05:42 PM.

Heya there ! I see the demo is finaly done, but sadly I cant test it for the moment. I will give my comment soon, I promise !

really intrigued to make a Youtube video on this
    EDIT: demo link isnt working?
    Edit2: I've tried using different browsers too, are you sure u made the right link?
    Last edited by op45667; 12-04-2017 at 05:08 PM.

Sorry about that. I didn't set an expiry date on the link but it stopped working for some reason... Here, I reuploaded it.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ss96pyuffzak4ck/Chasing_Phantoms.exe?dl=0

Also a youtube video would be fantastic.
    Last edited by Devour; 12-04-2017 at 05:44 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information