StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Academy of Heroes 2

Thank you, Keyes! Francene waved goodbye at the keypad and walked right in. Inside, she walked through the towers of wiring and routers, supercomputers and tables, and found herself at her own personal station. Well, not really personal, more like what she thought to be her personal space. It comprised of some petri dishes, a microscope, test tube racks arranged neatly with a nearby minifridge on the table. She reached out for the fridge and opened it, revealing several tubes on racks filled to the brim with the grey goo. She smiled at them and carefully placed them onto the table and shutting the fridge.

Hello guys! Been awhile, I know but I guess your field test comes early this time. Hopefully you'll do great like I know you will! Francene tapped the microscope and the grey goo from the test tubes reacted, escaping their tubes by forming pillars skyward and connecting to each other as they landed on the table. They made their way towards the petri dish underneath the scope and allowed themselves to be under the watchful eye of their technopath.

Francene saw her little friends as she gazed into the scope, swimming in the microscopicverse that was their home. She issued a few commands of augmentation with the same cheeriness as before and the nanomites obliged. Once that was done, she placed her right forearm onto the table and waited. It's time, guys. Come on, get in.

The grey goo formed what seemed to be a makeshift snake and what could be made as the head teetered to face Francene as if it was unsure. Go ahead! It will be okay, she said reassuringly. With that, the snake dove head first into the girl's wrist with a splat. It took a good five minutes before all of the nanomites seeped into her skin. Francene groaned in pain slightly as she felt the nanomite clumps pass through her veins but sure enough, the tiny helpers realized the pain they were doing and evened themselves out.

When it was done, Francene was breathing a bit heavily and sighed. She staggered forward onto the table and laughed a bit. At least she always had someone to talk to now, always. She then made her way to her dorms to gather what she needed like clothes and an extra cap.

Spoiler for :

"Well guess tis time for me as well." Angel stated, watching all this not-quite-sincere positivity evaporate from the room even faster than people were leaving. The girl picked up the bag of candy, and left it on the desk by Naomi, giving her a wink on her way out. She would probably make better use of them, either giving them out to people that would come to her, or even finishing the bag by herself. Either worked, what mattered was that she probably needed this sugary distraction more than Angel right now. "See ya on the roof then. Ta-ta!" After passing the doorframe, she suddenly leaned back, waved to people still inside and like that, she was gone. Not a care in the world.
    Spoiler for Preparations:

She would suddenly appear on the helipad out of nowhere, gently landing on the very edge of the roof with one foot, but dangerously tilting to the side with her arms raised, as if she was balancing on a curb. Her wings were spread wide open there for a moment, shimmering slightly in the light of the day. She smiled, and brought her other foot down to immediately regain balance, and upon her first solid step, her wings already folded. It wasn't mind boggling, that Angel must've simply jumped up there from the base of the building, perhaps bored with the prospect of using the staircase. As she approached, she waved with her free hand to whoever was already there, carrying her dufflebag in the other.
    Last edited by MrSkully; 12-31-2017 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Words repetition.

I should probably try and find something interesting to put in here...

There wasn't really anything for Anna to do to prepare, but regardless she went back to her room. It was rather clean as if no one had ever lived there. Anna sat on the edge of her bed and pulled into existence a thick book with a blue cover. There were a few marked pages but she flipped to the last marked one about halfway through the book. At the top of the page was written, "My Adventures With The Academy of Heroes!" She wrote a few sentences with her silver pen and then closed the book and sent it away again into nothingness. Without much to do until the helicopter ride, Anna just spent her time silently sitting on her bed, recollecting over past journeys with other heroes. As time got closer she stood up and made her way to the door, slinging a fully packed rucksack over her shoulder and made her way to the roof.

Angel was there, shining in all of her glory. Anna greeted the winged ally with a sincere smile and a very exaggerated wave. She was ready to have fun.
    SPAC: Genesis

"Everything I've done up until now... it was all for nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by ErrorBlender View Post
    Thank you, Keyes! Francene waved goodbye at the keypad and walked right in. Inside, she walked through the towers of wiring and routers, supercomputers and tables, and found herself at her own personal station. Well, not really personal, more like what she thought to be her personal space. It comprised of some petri dishes, a microscope, test tube racks arranged neatly with a nearby minifridge on the table. She reached out for the fridge and opened it, revealing several tubes on racks filled to the brim with the grey goo. She smiled at them and carefully placed them onto the table and shutting the fridge.

Hello guys! Been awhile, I know but I guess your field test comes early this time. Hopefully you'll do great like I know you will! Francene tapped the microscope and the grey goo from the test tubes reacted, escaping their tubes by forming pillars skyward and connecting to each other as they landed on the table. They made their way towards the petri dish underneath the scope and allowed themselves to be under the watchful eye of their technopath.

Francene saw her little friends as she gazed into the scope, swimming in the microscopicverse that was their home. She issued a few commands of augmentation with the same cheeriness as before and the nanomites obliged. Once that was done, she placed her right forearm onto the table and waited. It's time, guys. Come on, get in.

The grey goo formed what seemed to be a makeshift snake and what could be made as the head teetered to face Francene as if it was unsure. Go ahead! It will be okay, she said reassuringly. With that, the snake dove head first into the girl's wrist with a splat. It took a good five minutes before all of the nanomites seeped into her skin. Francene groaned in pain slightly as she felt the nanomite clumps pass through her veins but sure enough, the tiny helpers realized the pain they were doing and evened themselves out.

When it was done, Francene was breathing a bit heavily and sighed. She staggered forward onto the table and laughed a bit. At least she always had someone to talk to now, always. She then made her way to her dorms to gather what she needed like clothes and an extra cap.
    The halls were devoid of people. It was almost eerie, as if even the regular students knew that something was terribly wrong. At least there was a bright side... Francene wouldn't have to pretend everything was fine if a normal person happened to approach her.

As the girl turned the corner, only a few more steps from her front door, she saw someone waiting patiently there for her. It was Naomi.

"Hey, there." The black-haired girl gave Francene a gentle smile. "I was hoping I'd find you here. You looked awfully worried when you rushed out of the classroom. I wanted to make sure you were doing okay." Naomi took a few steps closer, approaching slowly with her hands held together in front of her. "Is it okay if we talk while you pack your things?"

Francene jumped at the sight of Naomi, struggling for words as a slight sting of pain ran through the veins of her right forearm. "I- I'm fine, Naomi," she said, nearly a murmur. "I was just getting some fr- tools. It'll be for the good of the team --hopefully."

The technopath then looked at Naomi curiously and nodded at her suggestion. "Yes, sure. It's.. okay."

The nanomites in her, she could feel all of them. All of their personalities. She didn't need to talk to Naomi or the rest now but I guess she did have some questions. Francene then lead the Naomi her dorm, it was a short walk to it. A keypad was present on the door but the technopath didn't need to dial in her code, instead it whizzed open at her presence. The room itself was nondescript; its eggshell white walls remained the same, untouched by posters or any decor. Her room was barren and plain: just a neat bed, cabinet, shelves and a large desk. The shelves were filled with random circuitry and fully fledged drones, and the rest of it was covered in books. Her desk was full of tools, soldering irons, clamps, a desklamp and some cutting boards.

"Come in," Francene muttered as she went to her desk and then her cabinet for some clothes and a bag. "I- I want to ask... how were we all picked?"

Spoiler for :

"It wasn't that complicated of a decision, to be honest." Naomi wandered for a bit, finding somewhere that she could sit without getting in the way. "We... were just the best we had. All of us who could have a chance at making it to the Tumor, we were picked regardless of any other criteria. It's why Annabeth is here even when she can only phase through walls." She paused for effect. "Even she could be incredibly useful though, if the right opportunity comes up. And same with you. Even if it seems like we're weak, we're a lot stronger than most might think." Naomi allowed a second for her words to sink in a bit. It was hard sometimes, to not just spill everything she had to say out like the gushing of a waterfall. Knowing the future, she already knew everything she wanted to say. But she had to remind herself that she was the only one living ten seconds ahead.

"This isn't a suicide mission. Is that why you're asking?" She questioned, her tone concerned. "I'm not just trying to raise our spirits when I say this is possible for us. The Government... the Headmaster, they're worried because they wanted all wanted us to come out of this alive. They wanted zero casualties. They wanted the mission to the Tumor to be easy, so that the world would have as many heroes as it could. Because after it disappears, there will likely be no more gifted students like you and me in the world. It's where all of our powers came from in the first place, you know." She made herself pause again, realizing that she was talking too fast. "The reality is that this mission will be hard. But it is not impossible. I know that we can do this."
    Last edited by Devour; 01-02-2018 at 06:27 AM.

"I...yes. Sort of, asking that," Francene tried to hide it but ultimately just conceded. The technopath grabbed a backpack and looked for her clothes among the shelves. They were all plain as well, no logos or remarkable tidbits that would dictate her tastes in music or pop culture. Francene zipped her bag and blinked for several moments, taking in what Naomi had said.

"Not impossible," the technopath echoed as she slung her pack on her shoulders. She furrowed her brows, still unsure but what could she do? She was chosen, she had no voice. "H-how did you take it? I'm not taking it very well to be really honest. I'm unsure, afraid. You say it was earlier than expected... how did you take it?"

Spoiler for :

At that, Naomi hesitated for real. Even with the moment's warning, she realized she didn't really know how to respond in time. She could remember how she had received the news that the whole world was in danger of being swallowed by evil, and how it had shaken her to her core.

But could she really tell the truth about how badly it scared her? She was expected to be the leader of this group. What effect would it have, especially on Francene, as scared as she was... If the one in charge told her that she wasn't as confident as she appeared to be? On the other shoulder though, a different thought bothered Naomi.

How could she expect this girl to open up to her if she wouldn't even do the same in return? What kind of a leader would do that? With a feeling of crushing dread, Naomi realized that she did not know what to say. It was strange and alien to her. She always knew what to say! What else were her powers good for, if not that? To not know the outcome of her decisions before she made them was terrifying beyond words. She didn't want to mess up. She didn't want to make Francene feel even worse than she already was...

But then, like a life raft thrown to a man struggling to swim, Naomi could see far enough ahead to know Francene's reaction to what she said. She clutched to it, feeling desperate relief flood through her as she tried both options in her mind.

Once again, Naomi knew exactly what to say.

"I was a little nervous at first, but then I went out to see the Tumor for myself. As a scouting mission." She began. "Along the way, I was able to see what kind of monsters were waiting for us. But more importantly... I realized that they were unable to stop me from reaching the core. Add they tried." Naomi gave the girl a mischievous grin. "It was only me, all by myself, and I was able to make it to the fortress at the center. If they couldn't stop one of us, how could they stop nine of us?" The girl stood up as Francene did, ready to follow her out the door. "It will be harder for all of us to travel together... but we'll also be many, many times stronger as a team. I'm not afraid at all any more." There was no trace of anything but confidence in the girl's voice. "I think we can do this."
    Last edited by Devour; 01-02-2018 at 06:35 AM.

The technopath blinked and nodded slowly. "You really think that?" She asked again but this time shook her head. "Sorry... must be bothering to ask the same thing so many times. I.. guess we should go then."

Francene wasn't as confident as Naomi was but she did feel a bit better. It was a bit contagious, Naomi's confidence, but not at first. The technopath sighed as she went to the door, looking behind her to see if her leader was right there. When she confirmed it, she swallowed. She was actually going to do this. To go out and probably face death. With each step, her doubt grew but also did her hope. Conflicting ideas grew in her; she knew her allies' powers and began to spin wild ideas with them, spinning threads of hope around her heavy doubts. Great! Thousand times great! Hopefully the nanomites won't have to piece together her atoms.

The two made their way towards the helipad and noticed four people had already been there: Angel, Anna, Isaiah and Sidnee. She blinked and mustered a weak wave for them.
    Last edited by ErrorBlender; 01-02-2018 at 08:36 AM.

Spoiler for :

Sidnee had a lot of time to herself on the helipad before anybody else showed up. She sat at the ground, arms around her knees, eyes stretched to the blue sky. It was calming moments such as this that allowed Sidnee to collect her thoughts and go over the day's events over and over. She didn't think she was ready for this; but to be fair, she didn't think she'd ever be ready for this. Did that make her feel better, or worse? She couldn't quite say, and thinking about it more would just make her more anxious.

She stood and turned quickly upon hearing the sound of footsteps entering the helipad. Isaiah came onto the roof, followed by Angel, Anna, Naomi and Francene. Sidnee waved meekly to all of them. There were only a few left, and then they would be able to get off and running on their first mission. A hint of excitement bubbled up inside of her.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information