StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Academy of Heroes 2

Francene took a snadwich from the pile and sat herself down gently. On the mention of the drone, she perked up.

"A name?" She blinked and then looked over her shoulder and saw the drone. "I.. I haven't thought of one yet."

Its been common for her to name the programs she's encountered with, it helps cope with the fact they don't have names at all and it seemed rude to just call them what they were. The technopath fidgeted and looked to Angel again, who had closed the book. Francene guessed she'd see more of it down the road. "I guess I'd name him...S- Specs? The camera on him makes it look like he has glasses bit I still need to ask him if he's fine with that name."

Spoiler for :

Theo once again waited for Isaiah to fire. "Yeah I killed him...and the other guy, and the other guy. Three in total." They didn't wanna talk about murder anymore and were happy that Isaiah asked a different question. They shrugged. "I mean, staying out of prison is always a plus but..." They trailed off. Thankful for the change in topic, Theo thought for a moment. What did they fight for? Humanity? Probably. They cared way too much about other people. "I guess I fight because I have to. Y'know 'cause most folks can't fight for themselves. I've got a responsibility I guess? I dunno, I sound dumb."
    I'm not good, not bad, but I sure as hell ain't ugly

Only three people, Isaiah had to hold in a strange chuckle. An awful reaction but Theo now wasn't a fellow monster in his eyes. He turned around, propping the rifle against the stand as he smiled at Theo. "No, not dumb. I would say that's a good goal, a proper one. Better than running away from a different reality." He wondered if he could say that was what he was doing. Trying to explain away the monster he was made into with fake antedotes and memories, trying to wash the blood of the innocent off with the blood of monsters to somehow cancel the negative out with the positive of trying to save the world as if it even worked like that. "You shouldn't let the past hang over you Theo. It wasn't your fault." Isaiah wondered if he was trying to actually comfort Theo, or himself. But it wasn't like it would help. He's been feeding himself those words for years, and it still tastes bitter.

"So I've asked a lot of questions about you, anything you want to know about me?" Isaiah took out the rifle's cartridge and the bullet in the chamber before putting it away and sat down next to Theo, using his crossbow case as a backrest of sorts.

I am prepared to meet my maker.
    Whether or not he's prepared to meet me....
    well that's another matter, isn't it?
    Spoiler for Infinite Battle:

“Yeah I suppose it does, doesn’t it? I’m rather confident in my abilitis and being able to protect myself, so don’t worry about having to watch out for me or anything when we’re out there! Naomi is a nice lady but she worries too much. I had this friend once who said I talked a whole lot so he let me try this herb of his and it really calmed me down. It also made me rather hungry. Has Naomi eaten? I still have some that my friend gave me, should I go see if she wants some?”
    SPAC: Genesis

"Everything I've done up until now... it was all for nothing."

"I'm...not sure if Naomi's eaten yet," Sidnee replied eventually. She agreed that Naomi did worry too much, but she was the leader of this rag tag team, after all. That was a lot of weight on one person's shoulders, especially considering that the group was possibly the last chance of saving the world. She racked her brain around for a while, yet still didn't know what herb Anna could be talking about. If it caused her to both relax and be hungry, though, it couldn't be too bad, right? She shrugged, "It's w-worth a try. If she says n-no, it's more for you."

Naomi sat in the center of them all, not saying much as she worried and fretted over the coming events. She was drawn from her haze as Anna and Sidnee talked about what were obviously weed brownies, but the two of them were just too innocent to know what they were. The girl froze as they considered offering them to her, horrorstruck by the thought of what she would turn into if she ate them. Having never tried it before, she imagined herself drooling, eyes half closed and relaxed. A striking contrast to her posture now, as she sat straight as a rod with her arms folded neatly between her. It horrified her. That would ruin her image as a leader forever!

"It's time to go!" She cried before Anna could offer, flustered, rising to her feet. Everyone was done eating anyways. They couldn't delay for any longer and their ride in to the outskirts of the Dead City was more than ready for them.

Naomi turned and made her way to the APC that would drive them there, and the others followed in her footsteps.

The APC pulled to a stop behind the ruins of what used to be a restaurant. Its engine was electric; capable of not drawing the attention of monsters from far away in the dead silence of the ruins. The area here was not the Dead City itself, but rather a small city of its own that had been swallowed by the larger city's expansion over the years. While self-contained, it was directly accessable to the main area by a giant freeway and many kilometers of open road.

The beginning of that freeway was a few hour's walk away. For now they sat in a large section of businesses and grid-lined intersections, where endless rows of abandoned vehicles still sat in the streets. Many were likely still drivable, were they not locked swallowed by the husks of dead traffic around them.

Staying silent, the APC's driver gave Naomi a sharp salute, and he drove away quickly without another word, leaving the small band of super heroes to fend for themselves in the ruins. They had such little information except for the direction they should be headed, which was to the north east. The enemy could be anywhere, but they would be in small groups if spotted at all. No buildings this far out would be occupied, but that was likely to change as they came closer to the enemy's main conglomeration a few dozen kilometers deeper.

Naomi closed her eyes, listening closely now to the visions of the future around her. She was already on high alert, watching carefully to see if gunfire would suddenly erupt from somewhere unseen. She watched the corners of every building, to know if they were about to walk around into a waiting enemy's crosshairs. She could keep it up for now, but the girl already knew that this would become draining for her in not too long.

"Hey, Francene?" Naomi asked. "Get your drone in the air... The sooner we can know it's safe to walk out from cover, the sooner we can relax a little bit."

Francene blinked at the request, slightly fiddled with the Specs cradled in her arms. "O-oh, right.. Right!" The technopath stuttered as she released the drone into the air like a bird. "H-he should be fine being so high.."

It didn't take long for Francene herself to helm the drone, making it climb higher in altitude and activate its sensors. Alright, Specs! I'll leave you here. Follow us and tell us if danger comes, okay?

You got it, Thirty-Seven! The drone replied as it kept aloft in the air.

Francene then looked to Naomi, bringing her thumb up. "Where to now?" The technopath then asked.

Spoiler for :

The army provided them with some decent gear. Isaiah strapped on his helmet and kevlar vest. He had taken from the range a submachine gun and a pistol. He focused more on arming himself for mid-range and close range combat as any sniping would be done with his crossbow. The submachine gun was an UMP45 with a side fold-out stock, foregrip, quick swap mag, and red dot sight that he had strapped to his lower back, his pistol was strapped to a shoulder holster that was part of the vest. His pockets were stocked with magazines and a few grenades were slotted in the utility belt; a smoke, a flash, an incendiary, and a fragmentation. Snapping out the stock he propped it in the nook of his shoulder and awaited orders.

I am prepared to meet my maker.
    Whether or not he's prepared to meet me....
    well that's another matter, isn't it?
    Spoiler for Infinite Battle:

Sidnee sat in silence the whole car ride; all of that talking with Anna had earned her a bit of quiet, at least for a little while. Once the APC pulled to a stop, she stepped out and looked at the carnage and hopelessness the area around them portrayed. Buildings in shambles, vehicles long abandoned. It all seemed like an omen of things to come. Once Francene launched the drone, however, Sidnee felt slightly more at ease. They'd have eyes up top, a way to prepare if enemies were coming their way. At this point, Sidnee continued to look around and await orders from her leader. She nervously tapped her foot on the shattered concrete below as she waited in silence.

Angel walked along, still on the ground with her hands clasped behind her head. She took nothing from the military but an earphone radio, and a basic side firearm now holstered at her hip. The latter probably more for fun, than anything else, as she almost shot the soldier that gave it to her, while messing around.

Although Angel was smiling, and looked completely relaxed, the weakest sound not made by the party had her head turning that way. "Ya kno what would've really set in the atmosphere?" The girl inquired after a while with her cheerful tone. "Snow." Some nonsense again, who would've thought. "This silence, in a dead city, and falling snow, crunching under our feet. Now that's a scenery..." Angel extended her arms in front of her, making a square with her fingers at the height of her face. "Oh." She quickly put them down and her smile turned into a grin. "Also red, like crimson-red, looks really nice on such pure white." It probably wasn't a secret at this point, that the girl really liked that color. "Too bad it ain't the season...I wonder how impressive of an echo we could achieve in here." Now that this new, just as 'revolutionary' thought found voice, the temptation was barely resistible.

The girl watched the drone soar into the air, with just a little sting of jealousy in her. "Make us proud Specs, make us proud." Angel felt a little bummed out that her 'teammates' either didn't believe in her capability, or didn't trust her with the reconnaissance. On the other hand, would she trust herself with that? She giggled a little at her own answer. She still very much felt an urge to get off the street and onto some higher spot -- Old habits dying hard. -- but so far managed to refrain. Instead she found fancy in some other questionable activity. Angel began to peek into the cars they were passing by, every now and then quietly opening their doors and leaning inside from the passenger's side. After rummaging for a while, she would've moved to another that grabbed her interest, sometimes her hand moving to her pocket, sometimes not.

I should probably try and find something interesting to put in here...

Thread Information