StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!

Thread: Shade

Shade

WIP still

Spoiler for Battles, read before challenging :):

Spoiler for Disclaimer:

Spoiler for 40K references:

Spoiler for The Enigma:
    Last edited by Unforgiven; 01-30-2018 at 09:46 AM.

Sentient Training Dummy buckethead's Avatar
    ok let be the first to break it to you and ill do it gently. first of all we discourage the use of character that are not 100 percent our own which also include powers. i mean i really like your characters layout being a 40k player myself but the thing is most people would not know where you are coming from. second your character seams to be quiet overpowered with very few weaknesses to balance him out.

i would suggest you rework the character to make his powers similar to 40K and in a way that it is your own and not the product of another person. just thought i should let you know.

p.s. if i sound like i am rambling i might very well be for i am going on only 3 hours sleep today. curse you work.
    Do I look like a dummy to you? The answer is yes because I am a training dummy named Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    ok let be the first to break it to you and ill do it gently. first of all we discourage the use of character that are not 100 percent our own which also include powers. i mean i really like your characters layout being a 40k player myself but the thing is most people would not know where you are coming from. second your character seams to be quiet overpowered with very few weaknesses to balance him out.

i would suggest you rework the character to make his powers similar to 40K and in a way that it is your own and not the product of another person. just thought i should let you know.

p.s. if i sound like i am rambling i might very well be for i am going on only 3 hours sleep today. curse you work.

No worries, I have been talking with alph about it and I have a solution for the power issue. I just haven't had time to edit it in yet. I will also be further explaining what everything does specifically. I am building the toon just like he was in our game and then I will be putting alternate rules for his potential battles with other people so that he will scale with whoever he fights.

Personally, I don't have any trouble with inspired characters, but I'm less keen on the idea where a series of things need to go wrong for a fair fight. At base, there is a lot Shade can do, and maybe for one fight, no XYZ would be one thing, but repeatedly... I don't know if you could play that seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Crank View Post
    Personally, I don't have any trouble with inspired characters, but I'm less keen on the idea where a series of things need to go wrong for a fair fight. At base, there is a lot Shade can do, and maybe for one fight, no XYZ would be one thing, but repeatedly... I don't know if you could play that seriously.
    Maybe I misunderstand the fight systems then, are they not death battle style? Where two players decide on the scenario for the battle, and all the rules around it, then create a story around that battle scene? If so I am not seeing the issue with him not having various pieces of gear or powers for a given scenario in order to match the power level of an opponent. Every character will have a power level of some kind, so you pick a tier and roll with it. Thor is in a different tier than iron man, and iron man is in a different tier than black widow. Shade is an alpha tier, or alpha+ if he has preparation time, but removing his equipment will reduce his power level to be able to compete with lower tier characters for fun. When I get his backstory done it will make more sense, but he has spent millions of years orchestrating events, collecting technology, seeding the galaxy with contingencies, and amassing warp artifacts/knowledge.

At it's core, yeah, it's a fight, but in the writing realm they're a lot more intertwined with plot, sometimes overreaching depending on the character. If you cut everything but the battle, which I mean, yeah, you can do, but the overwhelming number of people like reasons why, and to include said reasons in the story. Say you've got a pirate. Fight A, he ran out of gunpowder for his cannons, Fight B, he left his bullets in his other pants, and Fight C, his sword broke, all previously, none during battle. Independently, it works, but when you string it together, Captain John Swift is incompetent.

Quote Originally Posted by Crank View Post
    At it's core, yeah, it's a fight, but in the writing realm they're a lot more intertwined with plot, sometimes overreaching depending on the character. If you cut everything but the battle, which I mean, yeah, you can do, but the overwhelming number of people like reasons why, and to include said reasons in the story. Say you've got a pirate. Fight A, he ran out of gunpowder for his cannons, Fight B, he left his bullets in his other pants, and Fight C, his sword broke, all previously, none during battle. Independently, it works, but when you string it together, Captain John Swift is incompetent.
    Crank, I think the feel he's going for is more along the lines of what Altaer does. Altaer's got an arsenal that includes essentially every weapon you can imagine, and what he doesn't have he can get. So sure, if he's got time to prepare he'll carry more gear -- like he did with Zalgo. If he's caught in the middle of something, he might have a few pieces extra. But if you just get him while he's out having a drink at the bar, he'll only have his pistols and some basic melee weapon often. Spectre is usually on his body, but sometimes he'll forget his phone, or just deliberately leave it in the car because he wants some time off.

Reality-wise, even a "toolbox" based character won't always have all their stuff. He's got tools and pieces parts, and they won't all always be there. Make sense?
    My wRHG Canon: The Remarkable Life of Altaer
    "oh fuck yeah, taco, you've been naughty" ~ Vorpal
    "" ~ Index
    Spoiler for More stuff:

Yeah, but if I'm a wizard I've still got my million spells, regardless if you catch me at the bar or not

That would be a very large spell book, I think there is an artifact that can hold infinite spells in pathfinder. This is a test for some changes I made to my account
    Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. Those who understand realize that you have no right to let them live!
    - In Exterminatus Extremis -

Thread Information