StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!

Thread: Shattered (A Blade Merc. Tale)

Shattered (A Blade Merc. Tale)

Dust covered the once spotless couch, and fatigue seemed to be strewn about the rooms. Piles of laundry lay sloppily on the tile floor, protruding a foul odor from the grime and the muck. And in the abandoned living room, a lone man slouched on a musty plastic chair, eating a stale box of cereal. Here was the once-great mercenary, the killer-for-hire, Kiro.

His bright, youthful eyes were now pale remnants, blackened by 24-hour shifts on the monitor, and reddened from misfortune. Mr. Sarr, putting down the box, took a swig of day-old, black coffee, forcing it down his throat with a pained look on his face.

Riley was gone to god-knows-where, probably having some sort of “adventure”. Kiro grinned at that one for a second, before going back to his crumpled frown. “Wonder what that kid’s doin now.”

His best friend and second-in-command, Catena, also abruptly left one day. After their short stint looking for Riley, she had simply disappeared. Frantic phone calls and numerous text messages were sent to no avail. “It’s probably best she went. Better to leave the broken field in search of better pastures.”

For the first time in almost his entire life, the quick-thinking, compassionate Kiro had surrendered. He had given up on the whole bounty hunter business, his passion, once a roaring fire, had simply dwindled out. He took a real "adult" job, one that "a real man" would take, as they said.

“What would I say to her? What would I say to everyone, if they saw me here?”, he said to himself. “I- I guess there wouldn’t be much, right? I could say I’m sorry, yeah, I could. Right? That’s what they say. Forgiveness is there.. Bah. What am I saying.”

Reclining even further back into his chair proved to be a costly mistake. He crashed down onto the floor, the chair failing to hold his girth. He lay there for a second, pain jolting through his body and his heart pounding.

Memories, which had been torturing him day and night, knocked on the door. Instead of trying to resist, however, Kiro let them in, opening up both his mind and his heart.

Meeting Catena in Calcutta. “I remember.. Shukriyaa, I knew none of the language. Was more out of place than an elephant at an office.”

Having lunch with Leoncio, his fellow leader. “Polite guy, should’ve never taken him to Big Bob’s. He ended up enjoying it though, didn’t he? Didn’t he?”

He peered up, and lying in front of his face was a dusty picture, framed the best he could. It sat next to his worn headphones.
    The cheap plastic frame held the first day of Blade Mercenaries. Kiro was beaming, his white teeth showing as he raised a hand in greeting to the camera. Catena just looked annoyed. It was just the two of them, then a new member joined, was kicked, another one, a failed applicant… one dead...

“I had so much time back then. I could take on the world. Ah yes, I could take on anyone, anywhere, anytime...anytime.”

A single teardrop, glistening in the sun, fell onto the dirt-streaked floor. Then another. Soon, Kiro was struggling to keep his composure, clenching his teeth as a steady stream of tears ran down his cheeks. He made a weak grab at his phone, before letting his arm crumple to the floor.

“Do you guys think of me? Do you guys think of the memories we had together? I wish…”

“Please..”

"The melody is gone."

“I’m fading.”
    Last edited by Haru; 03-06-2018 at 08:11 PM.

Spoiler for WHO I SUPP:

I will remember you, Iwata...
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    ...but you just dealt me a crisp one right there.

Heh, I see you're kinda running into the same problems I am regarding bringing characters back. The further back you dig, the more important it is to show why events matter. I mean, it's always important, but if almost a year has past, doubly so. Alright, these people were in his clan, but what special memories does he share with them? If this is the point you're starting at, ya really gotta dig into the details and make us remember.

I hope Kiro sticks around this time!

Quote Originally Posted by Crank View Post
    Heh, I see you're kinda running into the same problems I am regarding bringing characters back. The further back you dig, the more important it is to show why events matter. I mean, it's always important, but if almost a year has past, doubly so. Alright, these people were in his clan, but what special memories does he share with them? If this is the point you're starting at, ya really gotta dig into the details and make us remember.

I hope Kiro sticks around this time!
    I'll elaborate more with the later stories.
    Watch out for them as well.

Spoiler for WHO I SUPP:

I will remember you, Iwata...
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    ...but you just dealt me a crisp one right there.

Thread Information