StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New stuff!!! OwoWoowOWO

Snap I got behind.

Anyway! I'd say the main thing to work on in regards to Chapter 5 is chaos. Especially in times of no dialogue, people are going to feel what they're shown, so unfortunately, if you don't stray from your strong willed protagonist, your readers won't feel the full gravity of the situation.

Outpost 53 was on high alert. Sirens and alarms were covering any other sound. Everyone knew what that meant. An Alecton attack was imminent and everyone was getting prepared. Troops were deploying around the walls and the pilots had entered their mechs. Civilians were getting into their protected bunkers and the defences activated.

A004 was walking with a fast pace towards the command tower at the west side of the wall. He knew he had no chance of actually fighting, so he was at least going to take part by commanding the upcoming battle. As he walked past the running soldiers and made his way to the top of the tower, he caught a glimpse of what was coming. It mostly was a mob a small Class V and Class IV but he felt that something bigger was heading fast towards them.

I understand that attacks are bad, but what does it mean for the people that live there? A004 is focused, which is good for a soldier, but what's happening around him? Part of what makes him brave is the contrast that surrounds him, which also shows the threat and why we should be invested in it. I like clips, and I meant to find a dramatic one, but after an hour in a rabbit hole I'll settle for come pitch black comedy.

The only reason Starr is badass is because he's surrounded by normal people to show that he's unique in his position. Ironically to focus on what sets someone apart from the rest, ya gotta show the rest a bit. Yellow pops best against purple. Same deal.

Outpost 53 was on high alert. Sirens and alarms were drowning out panicked cries like a biblical flood as the masses screamed to find their loved ones. No one wanted to be on the streets if the impending Alecton attack broke through the walls. Those who could fight fumbled for their weapons while those that couldn't barricaded their doors, desperate to be unlike the slaughter at 48. Engines roared to life as troops sprinted inside their mechs while some of the newer recuits collided with each other, blinded by their dread and the chaos embalming them.

The odor of sweat was thick in the air as A004 marched towards the command tower at the west side of the wall. He knew he had no chance of actually fighting, so he was at least going to take part by commanding the upcoming battle. As he walked past the running soldiers and made his way to the top of the tower, he caught a glimpse of what was coming. It mostly was a mob a small Class V and Class IV but he felt that something bigger was heading fast towards them.

I'll have to read the next chapter in the next couple days!

Keyboard smasher GreekGladiator's Avatar
    Yay, we reached a second page!

As always, thanks a lot Crank. I will definitely revise some parts of Chapter V, the descriptions in particular. Of I will fix the problems you have pointed out here, and will also add some extra details so stuff on the next chapter don't seem like popping out of nowhere, without a previous introduction.

Also the video is "not available in your country". Don't worry though, I got the message.

EDIT: Nvm I found it in a shorter version... What the fuck.

EDIT SO I DON'T DOUBLEPOST: Hooray! I just added Chapter VII, and I have to say, I like how it turned out. At least a lot more than what VI was. At one point I thought to myself: Man, I really want to know what happens next. Wait, I am the one who decides what happens next what the fuck.

I am very excited about writing the next chapter, but I am really divided over doing that, or fixing some problems on the previous ones. I currently don't know what to do. On one side, the story ***might*** become more cohesive and understandable, on the other, if I end the story, I would be able to do an overall rework that would cover the entire story and perhaps cover some plotholes that might turn up later in the story.
    Last edited by GreekGladiator; 10-14-2018 at 09:36 AM.
    My wRHG: The Elementalist Not active

Check out my story on OLit: Unnamed garbage
    Spoiler for Truth:

Quote Originally Posted by Crank View Post
    I'll have to read the next chapter in the next couple days!
    My reaction.

Jokes aside. I appreciate you reviewing this Crank as it develops. I just added Chapter VIII although something about it doesn't fit me just right; perhaps you can spot it.

(We're dead again aren't we? Also
    Spoiler for tru:
    for the double post.)

EDIT: WTF IT'S NOT MIDNIGHT. HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!?!? !?!

SERIOUS EDIT: I put up Chapter IX. It's smaller than the previous ones(maybe even half the size), as it simply sets the stage for the next Chapter. This was actually the hardest one to write, as I had no idea of how to connect the point I left the story with I wanted to do next. That's also why it took me so long(even though me being a lazy piece of garbage was 90% of it).

EDIT^2: Also Chapter X is now added. I somehow managed to stall the action this far. I really don't know how I did this. But I really need some feedback. I feel like I am writing in the dark right now(get it? It's funny because I said 'writing in the dark' as in the phrase 'walking in the dark' but the funny part is that I switched the word 'writing' with the word 'walking'. Hahaha.)
    Last edited by GreekGladiator; 11-21-2018 at 02:57 PM.

Spoiler for Truth:

What was I on, Chapter 6?

Wait

COMIC SANS!?
    AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHH

But anyway

Spoiler for Chapter 6:

Still goin' strong! Keep up the good work!

I can do this all day

But once again, thanks a lot for helping me with this. This is the perfect time to backtrack a bit and correct some earlier mistakes since I am not really up and going with the next chapter. A big thanks also for pointing out mistakes that avoided my proofread. Most of the times you see something like that, I just wanted to write something, I do it halfway, find out a better way to say it and forget to correct the stuff I wrote before.

It's true that I have to give A004 more emotional depth, like I have with Elise. Luckily you pointed it out early enough that it's relatively easy to fix.

EDIT: About that pacing thing. I thought about for, like, a minute, and it all finally made sense to me. The conversations are intended(supposedly) to take long and not follow the battle. That's because they are bad at all of this. They become completely detached from what's going on outside and forget anything else but themselves. Also this incompetence transalates to the bad outcome of the battle. They may have killed it, but don't call it a victory.
    Last edited by GreekGladiator; 12-01-2018 at 05:01 PM.

Spoiler for Truth:

Grrrr.

Spoiler for Chapter 7:

I really admire your spirit with this! Looking forward to learning what style change means!

I simply changed my attitude against writing dialogue and text in separate paragraphs. You can notice that later on I mix those two in the same paraghraph and that kind of stuff. I really don't why I was so adamant about separating those before though.

About that urgency thing. The reason I portrayed it like this, has to do with the blue-eyed A004's character and overall psychology. I now realise that I have shown only a fraction of what I have of him in my head, so it's natural to not understand his actions so clearly. Basically, he doesn't really care. He knows exactly what the other one will say and do, so he isn't in any actual hurry. He knows very well how much time he has left, and tries to inform him before they separate for good(or is it for good? Muahaha). This is also the point that this exposition would come somewhat naturally. There is no way he could obtain this information from anywhere else, so I tried to throw it in here. Of course this whole part inside his head needs revising(even I probably put more effort in this than anywhere else). It's pretty tricky; what I want to say in this very delicate situation.

The inner thoughts thing is a whole other area I have to improve in general. I have to keep down the urge to spit out as much exposition as I can and focus on it being more realistic, like you said.

I forgot what I wanted to add here.

I really can't imagine what trainwreck this would be without your help Crank. Especially now that you helped with the table of contents. This is one of the periods where I can't motivate myself to write, but once I do, I'll fix the problems in the previous chapters instead of simply going forward. On another note, tommorow we are writing an exam on English(at school it's barely B2 level). Wish me luck!

Spoiler for Truth:

Quote Originally Posted by GreekGladiator View Post
    I simply changed my attitude against writing dialogue and text in separate paragraphs. You can notice that later on I mix those two in the same paraghraph and that kind of stuff. I really don't why I was so adamant about separating those before though.

About that urgency thing. The reason I portrayed it like this, has to do with the blue-eyed A004's character and overall psychology. I now realise that I have shown only a fraction of what I have of him in my head, so it's natural to not understand his actions so clearly. Basically, he doesn't really care. He knows exactly what the other one will say and do, so he isn't in any actual hurry. He knows very well how much time he has left, and tries to inform him before they separate for good(or is it for good? Muahaha). This is also the point that this exposition would come somewhat naturally. There is no way he could obtain this information from anywhere else, so I tried to throw it in here. Of course this whole part inside his head needs revising(even I probably put more effort in this than anywhere else). It's pretty tricky; what I want to say in this very delicate situation.

The inner thoughts thing is a whole other area I have to improve in general. I have to keep down the urge to spit out as much exposition as I can and focus on it being more realistic, like you said.

I forgot what I wanted to add here.

I really can't imagine what trainwreck this would be without your help Crank. Especially now that you helped with the table of contents. This is one of the periods where I can't motivate myself to write, but once I do, I'll fix the problems in the previous chapters instead of simply going forward. On another note, tommorow we are writing an exam on English(at school it's barely B2 level). Wish me luck!
    Oh man, I hope you can motivate yourself to write. By nature of this existing, you have already done so much better than I have with my short stories. Also, I totally wish you luck bro.
    I believe in Jesus Christ as my Savior. If you're not afraid to admit it then paste this into your signature.

I am a self-proclaimed wRHG fight instigator.

Here is my wRHG character Dozer!

No need to worry, really. I usually go through these circles every now and then. At times I wanna write, at other times, I can't bother opening the doc. Also, the length of a story doeasn't translate to quality. Your short stories might be ten times better than my long one.

Thanks for the positivity(damn we need more emojis over here, like at discord)

Spoiler for Truth:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information