StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Kindness of Ravens

A Kindness of Ravens

Goals for the year:

1) Write more
    2) Finish a story
    3) Lose 3.4 pounds

I like the characters. Have a planned plot. Let's see how this goes!

A Kindness of Ravens

Chapter 1: A Kindness of Ravens
    Chapter 2: Some Raccoons
    Chapter 3: A Dule of Doves
    Chapter 4: A Pandemonium of Parrots
    Last edited by Crank; 04-26-2019 at 05:21 PM.

Keyboard smasher GreekGladiator's Avatar
    Well well well. This sure took me a while to actually finish. Not that it was long or something. I guess it's time for me to pay back 0.1% of the favo(u)r isn't it?

First of all. That title. Really. Really Crank? Come on. I know you can do better.

Let's get serious though. It was surprisingly enjoyable to read and I didn't expect the weird satisfaction I got from it. Make of it what you want. I am also somewhat proud of actually spotting out some spelling errors. Sadly, the doc was view only and you can be sure that I am too lazy to write any of it here. I'll only point out one thingy because I can't get it off my head unless I know what's the case.
    Spoiler for Only this time:

I have to say that the many names and nicknames made it hard for me to follow through with the story. Added to that, the fact that this is the first time I see any of these characters, it was hard for me to understand. I understand what you (probably) were going for by not simply presenting each character in a small paragraph, but for readers not so comfortable with English such as myself it is kinda difficult to picture everything in my head. This problem(of mine) also manifested when I wasn't able to understand enough from the descriptions to picture the scenes very well, but that's nothing to worry you. I can't really say much about anything else. Just that the pacing made it hard(for me) to follow through at some points. It just needs a re-read from me and all is fine(well? I don't remember this idiom).

Overall very good story and I would like to see what the plot is about(I suppose it's not just them being an ordinary group of thieves trying to break into great places and stuff like that). This was a very good way to kickstart a story, by presenting each of the characters qualities and characteristics. Looking forward to reading more from you(I don't expect much from anyone else in here).

WAIT HOLY SHIT I FORGOT I AM SUPPOSED TO BE WRITING AS WELL. I COMPLETELY FORGOT ABOUT MY OWN STORY.
    My wRHG: The Elementalist Not active

Check out my story on OLit: Unnamed garbage
    Spoiler for Truth:

Quote Originally Posted by GreekGladiator View Post
    WAIT HOLY SHIT I FORGOT I AM SUPPOSED TO BE WRITING AS WELL. I COMPLETELY FORGOT ABOUT MY OWN STORY.
    lol gottem

Gah! Spelling. My arch nemesis. I'll have to do some better reads then, maybe check with more than Google Docs too. Thank you for the feedback! I'll try watching how many characters have too many names, but I'm trying to limit aliases. I think where I'm at in Chapter 3 Adam is the only one who doesn't have a last name, but all 5 of them won't always be together, so hopefully learning whose who will become easier. There will also be more faces to go with the names now that faces will be visible.

Thank you for the feedback!

And thanks for your valuable 2 cents too, Chrome.

EDIT: Chapter 2 up

Ok. I have finally returned, ready to give a much better review.

First off, too things about the overall appearance.
    Spoiler for I already told you the title:

I like how this story starts in medias res. It's a damn fine choice and well executed so far. What I suggest you do is this:
    Spoiler for There's literally(figuratively) no reason for me to put a spoiler here:

The characters are pretty good and I can't say anything about them. Although I swear I only know about four of them. The fifth one you mentioned above and in the chapter still eludes me this far. If he/she has appeared in the story already and I completely missed him, simply disregard everything I have said and will ever say.

A really nice thing I liked was your descriptions. You can paint some really nice and vivid scenes and use some really nice wordings(I had to look up what ajar meant; I suspect you found it on thesaurus). If this was a cartoon, there wouldn't be any need for words since from the mere image, you can understand a lot. Sadly, since this isn't a cartoon, due to the lack of the visual element, that's why you should focus more on the overall world at first and less on the plot. That's something I am planing to do as well(after I finish the small arc that I've been building up).

Overall really good. You've managed to keep me attached to the story with a nice cliffhanger at the end, nice job(although that's not a very large achievement, since I absorb anything I watch/read).

Spoiler for Truth:

Thank you, I really appreciate all that! I'm trying to do a bit more background in this chapter, but I'm hesitant to put many rules of the world in the story in a factual sense since much of it will be fueled by belief, truth, and lies. It is in a Mideviel world, however, but there are things such as religion, superstitions like ghosts, witchcraft, and karma, in the sense of things people believe in, like in the real world. Basically, if something goes bump in the night, different characters will suspect different things, but I don't want to say who's right, it'll be a matter of who you beleive. Since this is following Salem, however, I will say she operates like she's on Earth with Ghosts, although others may view her as conspiritorial.

Fiona was in the first chapter, but she was essentially the getaway driver, so she wasn't involved in the stealing part of the heist, and since she had to steer the wagon through the night, slept most of the second chapter.

And Chapter 3 is up!

I am not gonna lie, it's harder than expected to keep track of things. I now know all the main characters, but still... You probably need more time to develop the rest of them and since this arc is more about Wolfgang, the others don't get so much backstory. I am likely just getting impatient and expect everything to be known instantly.

The only thing I want to point to out, is the use of italics. It felt kind of excessive at times and it didn't really fit at some points. Also using them all the time, removes from their importance and weight in the sentence, so when you want to emphasise something it doesn't look all that strong.

The last two thirds of this chapter were very well executed and nicely portrayed. The conflict in there kept me wanting for more and really felt impactful. The first third was also good, but my general cluelessness didn't allow me to enjoy it as much as the other two.

I know this one isn't a very insightful one, but hey, it's not like I even what I'm talking about so you're lucky that I don't say more. All I can say now is, Subscribe to Pewdiepie.

PS:What does 'Dule' mean? I even slammed it google translate and dictionary.com and no result(well in Gtranslate it did show a result, but it was nonesense).

Spoiler for Truth:

Thank you! I'm going to try highlighting things as I go, but I'm a little hesitant to show everyone's full backstory all at once since I don't want an essay of expositions. They'll have their moments, but I'm trying to keep the reveals at relevant times

I should probably watch the italics though. It's hard for me to find the line when I'm writing a rising argument, but yeah, toning it down would be good.

And a Dule is a state of suffering. I think group animal names, in English at least, are fantastic, so I'm trying to find ones that fit. Mostly at least.

Although, looking for more chapter titles made me discover ravens are an unkindness, so I'm gonna have to bookend this shit with the correction. Not sure why I was so positive it was the other way

Need help for a student in preparation for the chemistry test on "the theoretical foundations of the structure and reactivity of the main classes of organic compounds". Particular difficulty is caused by th question "fundamentals of stereochemistry, conformational and configuration stereoisomer of organic compounds". Can I find on https://paperleaf.ca/write-papers-for-money/ such help?

Progress!

Chapter 4 is up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information