StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!
Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132 LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 311

Thread: It's 2019 so Let's Play Dead Ass Mafia!!!

  1. #301
    ★★★★★ Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Posts
    4,781
    Go for it my dude.

    The more, the merrier!




    ​_________________________________________________ _________
    ... ... ... ... ...

    RHG

  2. #302
    Junior Memeber Smile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    5,389
    Quote Originally Posted by 1CoLoRz2 View Post
    Fantastic game everyone! It was fun to read. I was talking with Hewitt the whole time giving him guesses as to who the mafia was. Zero was literally my last "guess" if you wanna call it that. Hewitt had to practically tell me who it was haha. Hopefully next time I'll be able to participate!
    These bots are getting smarter and smarter but their names are getting more and more ridiculous

  3. #303
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    14,286
    Post game post game, let's see. My mind is all over the place right now. I guess I should start by revealing that this setup, as you might have realized later or after your death, pretty stupid.

    That was the point.

    The setup lulls players into believing that roles matter. But in the end, it just served to make the playing field full of vanilla more fun. A proper metaphor would be a game where I gave everyone cowboy costumes and six shooters. Everyone's so fixated on their cool pop guns (and that maybe 2 of them have real guns), that they failed to notice that 2 of the costumes are actually darker. This setup was a hybrid experimental one that I felt was balanced anyway and we 2 maf and 8 players in total, I wanted to see how these toys were gonna be used. I gave hints previously, that they may either be used by the maf to fake themselves by mimicking an effect or protecting themselves, or by the town for deducing possible suspects. I did not expect people to never catch on to this though. Even in the graveyard chats, Xyskal and 1C2 still focus on roles as late as Day 3 and 4.

    Running an 8p at this day and age was risky. In the past, I have created failsafes for blacklisting, prodding, and replacing players who go inactive. But today I cannot have that luxury. As a result, I'm super glad all 8 players who were here all wanted to be here and all continued playing their best. Yes, even poppete. In hindsight, despite randomness, it was in bad taste to make poppet the maf in his first game ever. I hope he comes around sometime (note that his inability to play now is unrelated to the incident that got him lynched). I also liked the diversity this time around. 4 newbies and 4 veterans split down the middle, so even in player demographic it was balanced.

    There were alot of fun moments in this game. Poppete's day 1 lynch, The seed of Deception Zero plants on Day 2, watching every single Townie bicker with extreme effectiveness. The chess match in Day 3 (which sadly Zero now debunks as being one sided the whole time). And of course our mvp turnaround when Xate unleashes his inner super saiyan and defies logic with his guts! It was entertaining from start to finish. Suddenly, his failed attempt to convince the cop in that Batman game 5 years ago... I can't help but think this event has now redeemed him.

    Now let us address the elephant in the room. To summarize Zero, I'm just going to leave this here:

    https://youtu.be/vG8Q-VMvLZE

    For far too long, SP Mafia has gone into this complacent spiral. I think that's why I stopped running them shortly before I left. I was just parroting the same ol' advice to little effect. So it feels a little unsettling nay invigorating when someone new comes in and smashes the meta altogether. Sparing Exile and the vets? Unheard of! But it makes for some nice discord, doesn't it.

    Btw, remember when Poppete was going to make a speech but didn't? He actually was going to but sadly didn't push through (I suspect irl). There was going to be this fake fight between him and Zero where the former was going to be thrown under the bus by the latter. That would've surely secured Zero as a true Townie. I'll say it again, this man is diabolical. But to humble him, it is not just that his tactics are meticulous and cruel. But that for the past 7-8 games, SP Mafia Players have grown complacent and have refused to go against the meta. The meta that if Exile lives long enough then fuck yeah he's the bad guy. The meta that only the useful are easily dispatched. Trafalgar's speech about the New World I think is very apt here. Nobody expected Zero, a user who has only been in one game, to step up to such ridiculous heights in order to pull the greatest deception in the history of this game. Step aside Serial Killer Error. One side Joker Exile. The King is here taking his throne.

    But this isn't an admonishing of sorts, but a challenge! Now, that the meta has been shaken up. We can gain insight on games to come. Now, it's not just enough to know who to kill or what roles reveal or what roles work on what. We have to gain a second layer of deduction. Realize why X had to be killed. And how does that further the maf's agenda. The common runaround comment was "Well his death didn't really reveal anything. How frustrating." I beg to differ. I think that because X died and it wasn't useful... That that was the point. I would've thought that the most complacent in this at the time could be the culprit. But that's just me. Maybe you'll notice now that when someone posts for a certain agenda, they might actually be trying to do something else. Something to watch out for in future games.

    And also, I hope stuff like what Xate did continues. Error told me by the time he realized it was Zero, it was far too late and anything he might say might further implicate him. I think he should've just said it. Because Town should realize that the game doesn't just end in your death. Townies die, that is a fact of life. And shutting up because you feel like Town is stupid for lynching you or you'll only contribute to misinformation is going against the spirit of Town. I think if Error had said something, there mightve been more doubt by Day 3. Something to think about there.

    Until the next game! For now we break into a light hearted affair. If anyone doesn't know yet I will be attempting to host 1000 Blank White Cards.

    Anyone interested who hasn't mentioned yet, please tell me. And if you're a spectator, inform me as well. I will say though that the slots will be limited to 6 players. Any more I think might be too chaotic. I'll have to see how to manage such a game in future ones after the first.

  4. #304
    Artist/Animator Arch-Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,535
    I’d be super down to try that out.

    as far as this game, it’s always sorta been my personal bias that when in doubt lynch Exile because being wrong is better than losing to him, but that’s just me :^) sorry Exile. I mostly did think his apathetic lack of commitment to the town cause was unusual for him, and I should’ve definitely been more aware of zeros over commitment.

    personally I don’t think the fake argument ploy would’ve worked for the same reason I suspected smile of being mafia for his voting habits on poppet and trying to throw him under the bus to save face. When your partner is found out it’s expected that the remaining mafia will want to create that void/distance between them and their partner so if Zero did have an ordeal with Poppet I probably would’ve pressured him worse than I did Zero.

    without a role to really confirm allegiance the more underwhelming roles felt useless and the stronger roles felt like they were too much of a risk for just anyone to have. I wasn’t really a fan of them this go around.
    SPAC: Genesis

    "Everything I've done up until now... it was all for nothing."


  5. #305
    Unlimited Potential Xate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    3,201
    I'd love to join the new game. I'm curious how 6 player Mafia will turn out.
    Just an average person

    Spoiler for It's my past, ma:

  6. #306
    ★★★★★ Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Posts
    4,781
    The next game isn't Mafia Xate.

    It'll be the card game.




    ​_________________________________________________ _________
    ... ... ... ... ...

    RHG

  7. #307
    salad days are gone Exile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cydonia
    Posts
    8,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Hewitt View Post
    I did not expect people to never catch on to this though. Even in the graveyard chats, Xyskal and 1C2 still focus on roles as late as Day 3 and 4.
    I tried:

    Quote Originally Posted by Exile
    Maybe it'd be best for the town to just wholly ignore all of these roles since they barely make any difference when it comes to rooting out the mafia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile
    My biggest concern at this point is that the focus on these roles and abilities is just giving the mafia a metagame that they can fully participate in without putting themselves at risk in any significant way, and gain the town's trust in the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile
    we can keep our roles a secret and possibly even abstain from using them altogether to try and neuter any role-based advantage the mafia might have.
    I could tell as soon as the game started that focusing on these roles was going to screw the town. No one else seemed to agree and once people started claiming roles I lost control of steering the town in the right direction, hence the complacency some people have mentioned.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hewitt
    Step aside Serial Killer Error. One side Joker Exile. The King is here taking his throne.
    Joker Exile won.... against almost twice as many people :^)

    awesome game though, I've told zero how insane that performance was.
    Last edited by Exile; 10-10-2019 at 05:07 PM.

  8. #308
    ★★★★★ Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Posts
    4,781
    Now that I've got the time, I'll chime in my input of how I think everyone did as a townie v.s me as the mafia:

    -+Xyskal: The Hierophant+-
    Let's start off with the one that I don't have much to say about (partly because I killed him off early). Xyskal was a player that, for me as the mafia, was a prime target because he has said nothing for the entire D1 that could give any solid information. It was nice that he asked questions here and there but these questions doesn't really move the town forward and only served to clarify rather than make a point, thus making you the best option to kill off to achieve my goal of giving town as little information as possible on D2 to both stem the flow of discussion and to begin sowing the seeds of suspicion and discord.

    Although I say all these things, Xate could've been easily the same target. However, the other reason why I chose you was because you have this uncanny moments of critical thinking and that's something I wanted to avoid as I went through the day. You were also technical (Something akin to me) and I feel like if you were given enough ammo to shoot, you'd be able to hit your target.

    -+Poppet: The Hanged Man+-
    My compadre and my partner. I don't hold anything against him as a player because it's his first time after all. He dug a hole for himself and I couldn't help him out directly as that would also raise my suspicion towards me and I wanted to avoid that because the trade off of saving him v.s getting the favor of the town was terrible. He panicked when Smile revealed his role because even he thought the roles were important when they really weren't.

    I gave him some advice but, ultimately, I just told him frankly that this isn't going to work with the way things are going and I gave him a proposal that if he's going to die anyway, we might as well make full use of his death by making him as random as possible (Thus his lack of effort to defend himself). Poppet, in the eyes of other mafias, might've been looked at as a liability due to his actions leading his partner into a 1v5 by D2 but I looked at his situation and turned it into an asset for the long play.

    The plan of throwing him under the bus was half true as with what Arch said, that would place pressure onto me, so I withdrew the idea of us arguing as that would place focus on me when he does die. I do hope this doesn't discourage him though and I'd love to play with him again.

    -+Error: The Magician+-
    Mr. Magician man. Error doesn't really give off anything unique to me. He's like a jack of all trades, master of none sort of guy. His entire play in D2 was him giving off okay inputs but never really substantial enough to place a threat into my overall game plan. His sharp but not as sharp as Exile, he's detailed but not as much as me, he's sly but not as much as Arch, he's unpredictable but not as much as Xate, and he's logical but not as much as Smile.

    You told me that you had something to say about me when you were in the chopping block and I was surprised you didn't go for it. A man who's accepted his death but still fears of being painted in a bad light more in his current situation doesn't make sense -- as what Hewitt said, never fear of getting painted as suspicious as everyone is suspicious. The only time someone is confirmed to be a mafia is either when they're dead or it's game over.

    Still though, I hope we can play again as a team or against each other as your performance as a Serial Killer is something I'd want to experience for myself first hand.

    -+Arch: The Tower+-
    Ah, the man that I had the weakest link with. I killed you on N2 because you were the player that I had the most trouble coming up with a reliable plan against. Mostly due to the fact that you were PM'ing people a lot as you claimed to (Now whether that's a ruse to throw us off or that's true is something I never delved deeper on but at that point, I didn't care because you were my target).

    I'll be frank: You're dangerous like Exile but your methodology is too sly and you're like a snake that I can't read. Your play with words and your ability to create false scenarios of what you're really saying is something I didn't want to deal with by D3 and, honestly, I'm glad I killed you off in D2. I don't think I'd have an easier time with you and whilst I do know you're against Exile, the thought that both of you could turn against me is a situation I'd love to avoid.

    It's just a shame you didn't post as much as I would've loved to butt heads with you as I did with Exile but I'm not that confident enough to deal with 2 monoliths in the game. Good shit.

    -+Smile: The Chariot+-
    Surprisingly not as active as I was expecting him to be. He was the "secured" player in my eyes as the mafia. He PM'd me and believed I was a town and he was one of the player's whom I separated on D2 against Arch/Exile. Smile was my safety net on D3 just in case anything goes wrong. To be fair, Smile is also a monolith of a player on his own in that with Arch being a sly snake, Exile being a sharp hawk, and Smile being a raging bull. He could go against everyone if he so wanted to and was not afraid to do so. His ability to connect the dots and create possible scenarios with Xyskal's death amazed me. Hell, even I didn't think of that. Yes, they were contradicting each other and they were far fetched but the ideas were there and that's how you stir a discussion.

    I'll say this now in that you being my target was purely because I wanted to butt heads with Exile on D4 but that doesn't mean you weren't a threat. Mind you, on D3, all 3 of you were solid candidates to kill and I had such a difficult time picking who. In the end, I chose you but I know that if you lived long to D4, the game would most likely end up as a brawl or free for all and that's something I wish I could've experienced as well. Unfortunately, I can only play once and could only choose one path but if we play again someday, I'll definitely choose the path where I get to see you rage on to the battlefield and witness for myself whether with you or against you.

    I'm still salty you didn't read D2 as much as you should though you faggot.

    -+Xate: The Fool+-
    The man who defied logic, went with his gut, and secured the win. I'll be honest with you Xate, I never expected you to stand up for yourself at the final day. From D1 to D3, you merely bandwagoned, asked non-value adding questions, and said things we already know. However, by D4, I saw the improvement. You even leaked out my plan to Exile (You sly dog) and stood up against all my logics and manipulation against you in PM. You stood your ground and voted for the right target. Even amongst all that pressure, you were able to make a sound judgement of who to kill.

    I'll tell you this: You're like a wildcard. I did have plans against you but you have your own charm in playing this game (Whether in a good way or a bad way is up to the other players) and your insane record of living up to the later phases of the game even though you play the early game pretty poorly is something to be amazed at. I don't know if this is pure dumb luck or if it was your intentions but the results are there. I never expected you to do the things you did on the final day because logic dictates you shouldn't when you've been suspicious of Exile the entire game and if you told him, that's basically saying "You win Mafia" but you did the unthinkable and threw me off guard.

    The notion that you put the player's into lynching other players instead of you because they're more of a threat than you is something to be taken accounted for as well. I hope after this game you'll tone down calling yourself dumb (I'll Lynch you the next time you say that) and have more confidence to go against the status quo and the masses. Don't easily back off when someone throws the ball at you. Instead, throw it back at them twice as hard. Nonetheless, you've improved compared to D1 and that's commendable.

    -+Exile: The Emperor+-
    Hewitt called Xate the MVP but I disagree: Exile was the MVP for me this game.

    He's sharp, cunning, steadfast, experienced, and dangerous. He was the first and the only one to catch up on my plan on D1 of exaggerating the importance of roles when they really weren't. He was the one who connected Xyskal's death to me due to how analytical I am. He was the one who planted doubt into me on D3 if he's following the plan we made. He was the one who led Xate to ultimately lynch me. Yes, Xate made the decision but Exile was the puppet master of the entire scenario. His confidence to win and his ability to weed me out as the mafia by mocking me was phenomenal. Of course I wouldn't admit that I was the mafia whilst the game was going on but I almost cracked -- that's scary shit. I know why players vote him off at D1 or kill him on N1 but that was merely through spectating and now that I've experienced going against him first hand, I fully understand why he goes down on D1/N1.

    He's a force of nature to be against with and an amazing player (The best one in this entire match for me). Would I let him live again if I was the mafia and we go against each other? Hell yeah I will -- I've got a score to settle with him and I'm going to prioritize winning instead of entertainment if he doesn't get lynched by day 3. I don't regret letting him live because I never would've gotten the same adrenaline rush if he just died an uneventful death on D1 or D2. Truly befitting of the title "The Emperor".

    On the next game, unfortunately, he won't be playing but I'll await the day we get pit into the same battlefield again with either me or him as the mafia so I can kick his ass.

    -+Conclusion+-
    Overall, this was such an enjoyable game and my best game thus far (Most likely because this is my 2nd game but whatever). Everyone did spectacular, you all played to your roles very well, and there wasn't a single dull moment in the game. Whilst D2's discussion went to a crawl with my nightkill giving the least amount of information, you all still gave out solid inputs that I honestly was impressed. Yes, there were times were I wish more players would've pressured me for being "too clean" or over committing and I was slightly dissapointed that only happened on D3 against Exile but, nonetheless, you all were amazing and I would love to play with you all (or against you all) again real soon.
    Last edited by Zero; 10-18-2019 at 12:38 AM.




    ​_________________________________________________ _________
    ... ... ... ... ...

    RHG

  9. #309
    salad days are gone Exile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cydonia
    Posts
    8,457
    I don't usually put a lot of effort into post-game commentary but I feel compelled to after hearing feedback like that

    Zero's performance as mafia was easily the craziest thing I've ever been up against in these games. I often mention the arkham game where I won as the joker/serial killer against 12 other players, I still consider that to be my best performance but it's because I had to be fucking vigilant throughout to have any shot of beating the town AND the mafia. The win condition seemed impossible and I managed to pull it off.

    But that's as scum, and playing as scum is always exciting in its own way. This game has given me the same level of thrill as a townie for once. Typically when I'm a townie I spend the early game trying to put plans in place, coordinate roles and try to accomplish as much as possible before I'm inevitably killed off. I don't think I've ever been lynched during the day but I always wind up being an early target and I always wind up spectating the last 30-50% of the game.

    I respect the hell out of Zero for letting me live just because he wanted to beat me from the beginning to the end. I revealed to him early on that I thought he was a townie and he tried to keep that manipulation going until the final vote, and fucking hell, he came close. I decided to target him just to see how he'd react and he sounded so much like a townie that I had to drop it AND I couldn't come up with a single good reason to even try voting for him again. If Xate didn't contact me and share the shit that Zero was telling him, I would have killed Xate and lost the game, but Xate is easier to read than Zero and after grilling Xate in real time I finally realized Zero was playing with me for the entire game. Even when I was pressuring him and trying to get him to just admit he's mafia, part of me was still confused and doubtful.

    Usually the mafia will just deal with me by killing me but this guy tried to outwit me for the entire game and quite frankly, he did so successfully for like 95% of the game. Fucking insane and I commend him for it. I don't think I was the strongest player here. I look forward to going against Zero while I'm mafia and I hope to get a chance to play on the same team as him, as OP as that sounds. GG WP
    Last edited by Exile; 10-10-2019 at 06:59 PM.

  10. #310
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    14,286
    Tfw the mafia does your postgame better than you

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •