StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!

Thread: Router Bit Recommendation

Router Bit Recommendation

I'm having an issue with routing tenons on SYP. Lots of tear out on the shoulders and tenon face and ends. I'm using a DW 621, a 3/8D straight bit, the Microfence to dial in the width, and one of Pat Warner's tenon jigs. Is it a bit issue, router speed, or...? I have spiral bits as well as shearing straight bits (those whose cutters are not at 90* to the flute).

The tenons are to be 3/8" wide x 1-1/4" long. They are two-faced tenons.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Walk into any fine woodworking supplier and you'll likely find a wall covered with hundreds of different router bits of different profiles, shank sizes, tip types, and more. A router is one of the most versatile woodworking tools you can own, but it's not the tool itself that brings versatility; it's the bits. Choosing the right router bit and using it properly involves selecting the right style and size of bit for the job as well as installing the bit correctly and using an appropriate tool speed. Here is a video for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBcAT0ZzNVc

It is not so simple question. There are many useful info about this in internet! Check Woodroutersreviews blog, they provide many cool blogs including about router bits. For example here is an article https://www.woodroutersreviews.com/h...nd-wood-edges/ how to round wood edges, recently it helped me a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Yavarr View Post
    Walk into any fine woodworking supplier and you'll likely find a wall covered with hundreds of different router bits of different profiles, shank sizes, tip types, and more. A router is one of the most versatile woodworking tools you can own, but it's not the tool itself that brings versatility; it's the bits. Choosing the right router bit and using it properly involves selecting the right style and size of bit for the job as well as installing the bit correctly and using an appropriate tool speed. Here is a video for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBcAT0ZzNVc
    Well this was great to learn how to maintain my bits. I wish I seen this 30 years ago. LOL
    Thank you Very much for the posting the video

Hi there! I recently bought new cool tool for drywall and finishing with wood and often use it in my work. It is Dremel MM485B, special set with carbide teeth and quick fit system. Highly recommend to pay attention on it!

Thread Information