StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ragdoll Fighting Game

SSChiba
    So... when's it coming out?

Oh, I forgot to mention that. I want to release it before the end of this month, August, because I am entering it in the Armor Gaming Challenge (no bonus if I enter it in September). So, it will take at least a couple weeks before I finish. I might wait between releasing new variations, but I will make sure to release at least one version this month.

I want to just keep messing around with new styles and fancy graphics, but I'll have to force myself to get the boring stuff finished first (AI and menus). After I get a plain version out, I can take my time with prettying them up. (and I might release the source code after a while too)

SSChiba
    Suh-WEET! I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by axcho
    You think that lacking backgrounds makes it unfinished? That's pretty funny. I'm not worried about backgrounds increasing the file size - they won't
    I disagree.
    A detailed background must be saved as a bitmap.
    Detailed vector images take up way too much CPU power.
    So yes.
    Backgrounds do take up space.

Quote Originally Posted by SSChiba
    Suh-WEET! I can't wait!
    I am encouraged by your enthusiasm. Thanks.

Argh. Is there no way for me to edit my posts? Sorry for the double post.

Quote Originally Posted by FrAnKeH
    I disagree.
    A detailed background must be saved as a bitmap.
    Detailed vector images take up way too much CPU power.
    So yes.
    Backgrounds do take up space.
    Well all the graphics in this game are and will be vector graphics, generated by ActionScript. So they won't noticeably affect the file size. I do acknowledge that they will take up CPU power, which is one of the reasons that I was hesitant to include backgrounds at first. But I was only talking about file size before.

Anyway, if I use Flash 8, I can both generate the backgrounds with ActionScript and have Flash treat them as bitmaps, avoiding the problems you mentioned. The only problem with that is that some people (at school perhaps) might only have Flash 7 and be unable to upgrade. But we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by axcho
    Argh. Is there no way for me to edit my posts? Sorry for the double post.

Well all the graphics in this game are and will be vector graphics, generated by ActionScript. So they won't noticeably affect the file size. I do acknowledge that they will take up CPU power, which is one of the reasons that I was hesitant to include backgrounds at first. But I was only talking about file size before.

Anyway, if I use Flash 8, I can both generate the backgrounds with ActionScript and have Flash treat them as bitmaps, avoiding the problems you mentioned. The only problem with that is that some people (at school perhaps) might only have Flash 7 and be unable to upgrade. But we'll see.

I was unaware that ALL the graphics will be made by actionscript.
    And the only way to do the outlined stickman would be with the filter effect actionscript in Flash 8 no?

Quote Originally Posted by FrAnKeH
    I was unaware that ALL the graphics will be made by actionscript.
    And the only way to do the outlined stickman would be with the filter effect actionscript in Flash 8 no?
    Heh heh. Actually it's just a thick colored line with a thinner black line drawn over it. That's also the method I use in GLOW for the braids. There are a few things that aren't purely ActionScript, like the circular heads (which would be more trouble to draw), but I still instantiate them and position them with ActionScript.

Btw im very interested in ragdoll in flash.
    I was wondering how you went about creating the ragdoll engine.
    I've tried a few times with no avail.

shoxpyre

Wow

This looks INSANE! Finish soon please! It looks so SWEET! And don't worry about a background it looks ok the way it is. But if you absolutely need one don't use alot of colors. I especially like the Corona and the Glow. Glow the best i think. Good luck =)

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information