StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The User CP Guide [Forum]

Subscriptions
    How to Subscribe & Unsubscribe

Subscriptions are used for many different reasons... the most common reason is that you are interested in the thread and you want to see if someone have replied. Though subscriptions are not commonly used at all they still have some uses.

To subscribe to a thread you must first locate a thread you want to subscribe to. Once you have done that click on the Thread tools at the top of the thread. Under the drop down menu you will see the link that says Subscribe to Thread. Click it and you will be sent to a new page.

Example:

The new page will give you two small drop down menu's with options about your subscription.

Example:

The first drop down menu will list options of how you want to be contacted when someone posts. If you choose the first option then you will not have an email ever sent to you if someone replies. The next option will be a pain if you choose it because if the thread becomes popular your inbox will be flooded with emails about people posting in your subscribed thread. The third option is a little more reasonable but not suggested and the final option is recommended if you want to get an email.

The second drop down menu has options about what folder do you want your subscription to be listed under. This step goes with Editing Folders and involves you having created a custom folder.

Example:

If you wish to create a custom folder follow the link under the Control panel and do the exact same thing you did with creating new folders for private messages. You delete the folders the same way as well.

Example:

Once you have specified what folder you want your subscription to go into then hit Submit.

Your Subscribed thread will be listed under List Subscriptions and will be the second thing you see on the new page.

Example:

If you wish to change the way you have subscribed to a thread you can do this by changing the options located at the bottom of that page.

Example:

So, if you wish to change the way you are contacted by replies to a subscribed thread you want to change the last four options listed. If you wish to delete the subscription select delete and go. If you want to move your subscription to a custom folder select Move to Folder and hit go. Most of this stuff is similar to the private messaging options.

Last edited by Zed; 04-12-2010 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Links

4. Miscellaneous
    Miscellaneous Options
    Miscellaneious Options

Table of Contents
    Last edited by Zed; 04-12-2010 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Links

Miscellaneous
    Miscellaneous Options

Okay, so at first glance there might seem to be four links under Miscellaneous Options, but really there are only three. Event Reminders are tied into the calendar and members are restricted from posting events on the calendar because it was spammed to much on the old forum. So, we are left with three links:

Group Membership
    Buddy / Ignore Lists
    Attachments

Group Memberships I may not have even put in this guide because you can't join a group. The only group you are apart of is the Portal Users group. If you delete yourself from that group you can no longer be able to upload anything to the portal. This means no competitions or reviews of work.

1. Buddy / Ignore Lists are very useful. I'll go into detail on regarding this. Okay, so you want to add a buddy do you? Well, to do this you need to go to the User CP. By now I hope you know the ways to do this so I don't have to explain myself over again. Once you are in the User CP click on Buddy / Ignore Lists on the Control Panel.

Example:

Because we are adding buddies first we don't need to deal with the right side of this new screen. So, let's consentrate on the left side of the screen. This side of the screen is where you will add the names of the members you want to add to your buddy list. I've given you an example.

Example:

Okay, so in my example i'm adding Polnareff and Nicol3 to my buddy list. It is the same for you. You need to type in the member(s) you want to add and click Update Buddy List.

Now, the buddy list does two things to the members you add. The first thing it does is it adds a + sign to their name when they are on the active users list. The second is that their names are then added on to a list that you can open that has the options to send a message to. An addition to this list is that it also tells you if your buddies are online or not.

To open your buddy list go to Quick Links on the navigation bar. Then click on Open Buddy List.

Example:

Now, that we have covered the left side of the Buddy / Ignore Lists screen it is time we cover the right. The Ignore List is a useful function for people who you don't like. It is very useful for blocking posts of spammers. To use the Ignore Lists do the same as the left side; type the member(s) name that you want to ignore in the text field.

Example:

I used piggypup and fetus who are really the same person. Now, when you click Update Ignore List, any member you have entered into the text field will be blocked from your viewing. You cannot see anything they type in a post, anything they display, and you cannot see images by this user.

Again, this is a very useful feature of this forum.

2. Attachments, the last link that is useful on the Miscellaneous Options, is where you can delete all the files you upload directly to stickpage. You may have noticed that you have a limit on the amount of files you can upload to stickpage. Something like only 1 megabyte of files can be uploaded on your account. Well, this can happen very fast and it is good to know how you can delete the old attachments you don't use anymore so you can free up more space for newer attachments.

To acces your attachments you need to get to the User CP. Do this whatever way you wish and then click on the Attachments link on the Control Panel.

Example:

Once you click on the link you will see any attachments you have made and what thread they are under. If you want to delete them you can to free up space.

Example:

This ends it for the Miscellaneous Options but i'm going to go back and explain how to upload an attachment to make sure new members know how to upload them instead of just knowing how to delete something they don't have yet.

3. Attaching Files

Stickpage allows members to upload one megabyte of files on their server. This service is only available on posts. So in order for you to upload anything you must be making a post.

When you are replying or making a thread / post there are options at the bottom of the page. Once of these options is Attach Files.

Example:

This is where you will upload files direct to stickpage.

There are the usual two ways to upload files to stickpage. Either by browsing and getting the file from your computer or from a URL. Because i've covered both methods in uploading signatures and avatars i'm not going to bother going over it yet again.

Once you have selected your file from either on the computer or from a URL hit upload. The file will then appear in a box when you post.

Last edited by Zed; 04-12-2010 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Links

This concludes my rather lengthy guide to the User CP. I hope any new member who had any questions about this is now in perfect understanding. For those members who had no question then I just hope you liked browsing to see what I have been doing for the past week. I can say that I hope I never have to do this type of tutorial again because the screenshots were a pain to do. Thanks for all your patience and let the posting begin!

.:GoddiousAdminious:.
    The Tutorial God Returns!

Commie-Cultist-Dictator
    PWNAGE tutorial, altough I already knew most of the stuff in it, it would help people new to vBulletin alot.
    woot, first post.

*gasp*

That must have taken you ages to do. Great work!

*reps*

Yeah, the guide took a long time to complete.
    I did a little bit of the guide everyday and finished a few days ago.
    Posting sure is going slow. Maybe that is because it looks like there have been 3 pages of posts. Then again, maybe not.

Holy Moly Paperclip, you got tons of patience XD

Awesome job on the tut really, it brings tears to my eyes.

Banned
    Superb tut PaperClip. I learned much I did not know, but not too much.

= O

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information