StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Have Questions? Here Are The Answers!

Why is no one responding to my visitor messages?

There are a number of possible explanations. The most usual one is that you have not got visitor messaging enabled. To enable visitor messaging, go to General settings:

and scroll down until you see this:

Check the "enable visitor messaging button" and await your replies. If the person you're talking to is not on your contacts list you will need to make sure that you have the "don't limit" option checked too.

Another possible explanation is that what you are saying over the visitor messages is really really dumb. Check your messages for proper spelling, punctuation, and grammar, and make sure they have some meaning to them; not just "HI!!!!!1111!!1!". Also, only send one at a time. If you're completely clogging up their message board they are unlikely to reply as you are just spamming. Also make sure that you know the person you're talking to. Very few people like to get messages from people when they have no idea who they are.
    artwork by Mantha, 'cos she's the bestest

You will kneel before me and you will confess that I am God.

Can I send the same message to more than one person?

Yes, as is shown half way down Paperclip's guide on how to send a PM.

How do I send a read receipt?

When you get a private message, if the sender has requested a read receipt a box will pop up in the middle of it, like so:

To send the receipt, simply click "ok" and the rest will be done for you.

If the other person has not requested a receipt then the box will not appear. If you want to let this person know that you have received his message you will have to reply.

If you click the "cancel" button then your message will appear to be unread as far as the sender is concerned. I don't know why you would do this, but you can.

How can I make my own animations?

Includes where to download and which one is best for you.

Before you can make an animation you need an animation program. The most common one are these:

Pivot

Easytoon

Flash

Which one is best for you? Well, let's have a look at each of them and see, shall we?

Pivot

Pivot is often considered the most basic animation program. It has a simple and intuitive user interface which looks something like this:

You move the dots and when everything's where you want it you press "next frame". When you press "play" it all whirs through quickly and the illusion of movement is attained. An average pivot animation looks something like this, although good animations are also possible.

Pivot is best for you if you want something that you can open up for half an hour occasionally and not make anything serious with, or if you want to learn the basics of animating, or if you can't draw and can't afford flash.

Easytoon

Easytoon is quite different. Instead of moving things from the last frame, you will be redrawing the entire thing. There is no colour. It is simple, but very effective. A good easytooner will get a lot more respect than a good pivoteer. A typical easytoon animation will be similar to this (by Moch12). The interface is like this:

Easytoon is best for you if you can draw but can't afford flash, and if you like the style of easytoon animations. It's also a decent program to learn to redraw on, and it's not impossible to learn the basics with it.

Flash

Flash is the best animation program we use here. That is undisputed. You can do everything with it that you can do on either of the other programs and so much more. It can be quite daunting but there are a great deal of tutorials available, as you can see here. The interface:

The drawback is that it is quite expensive. I think $500 was what I last saw it at although I haven't checked for a while. You can and should get the 30 day free trial before making any further decisions. There is absolutely no way to get an unlimited version for free so don't even ask. It's impossible. Can't be done. 100% nono. Flash animations are what you find on the Stickpage front page, and often look like this.

You want flash if you ever want to make a game (because it's the only one that can do that) and if you want to animate seriously. It's also ok to learn the basics on, although you can get distracted by the huge number of features. If you can afford it, get it.
    Last edited by Zed; 05-20-2014 at 08:18 PM.

Where can I learn to get better at animating?

There are essentially two methods of improving.

Option one is to look at tutorials. Most of the good ones can be found here, although google and youtube might turn up something nice if you search. There are also a number of tutorials here on SPP in the "Tutorials" section which are not linked from that page.

Option two is to post your animation and receive criticism. Every time you post an animation (which you should do here by the way, in beginners sections before posting your own thread) people will look at it and tell you what you need to work on to improve. They might, for instance, point out that your animation is shaky and that you need to be more careful with your spacing. You should take this criticism on board and improve in your next animation.

What you do not need is a mentor. There is no reason that a mentor will ever help you more than posting your animations in the community will. Everyone should always be willing to give you constructive criticism, and since everybody looks for different things you will get a more balanced criticism from the community than from just one person.

No .

Why do some people have different colour names?

There are seven different colours of name that you will see in the forum, all of them indicating different things about the member. In order of importance:

Banned members - They cannot post. They have been denied access to the forums because they break the rules. This may be temporary or permanent.

NTF - Noob Task Force member. These members have access to a special area of the forums where they assist moderators and draw attention to anyone who is not contributing positively to the forums. They are either experienced and mature members, or they are MiniMan. They have the ability to see IP addresses. **This class is defunct**

Global Moderators - These are members with the ability to edit or delete any posts or threads and the ability to ban people. They will enforce the rules of the forum and attempt to make visiting here as pleasant as it can be. They have access to their own forum known as The Bat Cave. It is unknown what goes on in there.

Sectional Moderators - Lesser but equally experienced moderators who police over a certain section as the name implies. They have no jurisdiction outside of their respective sections.

Administrators - A rare species indeed. They are all-powerful and can administer IP bans or delete accounts. They can rename accounts too if they feel like it. Only stone really comes around that often. Jeff when it counts. They are responsible for forum upgrades, etc.

Chancellors - These are people who manage the Territories portion of RHG. They have no actual powers, with the exception of access to their own Chancellor Bat Cave, where future RHGT events are planned out and discussed.

Retired Moderators - Ex-Mods. No matter how long your stint was as a moderator, your name will be dabbed in gray once you've decided to hang up your badge. This is to commemorate your years or months of service as an exceptional member who once did things for the site.

You do not ask to become any of these things. If you are a suitable member you will be chosen. Asking will actively decrease your chances.
    Last edited by Hewitt; 04-07-2014 at 08:33 PM.

What If I Can't Find My Question Here?

Well, first you need to read the list again.

Now read it once more. It's probably there.

Now read what Scarecrow has to say:

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    ...what is so hard about looking at the sections and tutorials BEFORE you post, rather then after everyone has looked at your little thread about 'omfg howe do i get flash plz help i cant find it anywhere?

What is so hard about typing properly? Why can't you idiot noobs just use the shift, comma and period keys, and type using your brain, rather then palming the keyboard hoping to achieve a half decent post?

And what is so damn hard about going to www.google.com and searching for the answer before you make a useless thread about it that everybody will hate you for? Or using the stickpage search function? And why must you say that you did search but couldn't find anything, and then we have to waste our time to find it for you in under thirty seconds?

DO IT YOURSELF.

Before you make a thread, do the following:

1. Think about your question.
    2. Try to figure it out yourself.
    3. If you can't figure it out yourself, use the StickpagePortal Forum search function.
    4. If you STILL can't find it, Google it.
    5. Look through at least the first 5 pages before giving up.
    6. If you can't find anything, try refining your search.
    7. Repeat step 5.
    8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 at least three times.
    9. Come back here, and go to the GENERAL HELP SECTION.
    10. THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE POSTING, AND POST IT WITH CORRECT GRAMMAR AND SPELLING.
    11. Start creating a new thread.
    12. Include a well-explained example of your problem.
    13. If you do not know the proper spelling of a word, look in a dictionary, or do a google search for the word, and it will come up with the suggested correct spelling of it.
    14. Include a picture or a screen shot if possible. Press the button immediately right of F12 (Print Scrn/SysRq) to take a shot, then paste it into a new bitmap image to make a screenshot.
    15. Post your thread.

IT'S NOT THAT HARD.
    http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Edit: Edited the swear words so it at least looks a bit professional.
    ~The Vee

^^^^^^^^As if that looks professional >_> = D
    ~The Bee

Oh pah, as if I care whether or not it looks professional, as long as the dickheads read it >:3
    ~The Jawz

What are groups, how do I join one, how do I use one, and how do I make one?

To access the groups area, you need to go through "community", like this:

A group is essentially a mini-forum you can have all to yourself. Generally they will be to get together people who have something in common, for example the musicians group is for people who like to make music.

To join a group, simply press this button: which is located next to each public group. If you later decide that you no longer want to be part of the group, press this button:

To create a group, first click here:

That will either take you here:

If you're using your second account which is strictly for test purposes and so has no posts and therefore no group permissions, or here:

If you have the required 1000 posts.

You then name your group, describe it, and set how you want membership to be decided. If you want complete control over who's in and who's out then set it to "invite only". If you want anyone to be allowed in, select "public". If you want to approve people who ask to join, select "moderated".

You will then be asked to select a group icon. This is the image which will be associated with the group.

This is just like setting an avatar. You can either use a direct URL link or you can upload something from your computer. You must set an icon if you want your group to show up anywhere. If you don't then you can just press "skip".

You will then be taken to the main group page.

To use group functions

You will see on the main group page a few things. You will see this box:

Which tells you about the group. The group icon is displayed at the top, then the group creator, number of members, number of pictures uploaded to that group, and the number of discussions within that group. Clicking on the name of the "group maintained by" member will take you to that member's profile. Clicking on the number of members will give you a detailed list of all the members (you can also click "view all" by the members list below). Clicking on the number of pictures will take you to the group pictures. "group tools" at the top right also gives you all of these options.

You will also see:

Clicking "Post New Discussion" is just like posting a new thread, except only group members and moderators will be able to post there.

Clicking "add pictures" will allow you to add pictures to the group album. Note that you cannot post animations in this way. When you click the button, this window will appear:

Click "choose file" and select the file you want from your computer. Then click "upload". Close the window and the picture will become available.

If you are the owner of the group

then you will also have the admin options:

You can edit or delete the group here. You can also transfer the ownership to someone else. Note that only one person can own a group and have power over it. If you transfer power then you will not have any remaining power yourself. Mods will always have these powers but probably won't use them unless you use the report function in one of the discussions as usual. When transferring power this box will open:

Type in the name of the user you want to transfer to and press "send request". You cannot send the group to yourself, or to a member with less than 1000 posts. And as such I don't know what happens from here on in. No doubt someone will find out and tell me at some point.
    Last edited by Zed; 04-14-2010 at 07:45 PM.

How can I change my name?

Name changing can only be done by one admin: stone. He's usually on every 2-3 days like clockwork so just PM him and patiently wait for him to see your request. He will always acknowledge any name change request so don't be shy and go ahead and ask him.
    Last edited by Hewitt; 12-02-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information