StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!
Page 232 of 676 FirstFirst ... 132182222228229230231232233234235236242282332 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,320 of 6757

Thread: The Anime/manga thread (+ recommendations!)

I need opinions on Boogiepop. Anyone watched it? What's it like.

I just read a translated light novel the author of Boogiepop wrote, and thought about investing in that show.

...Let's Go Exploring!
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal2 View Post
    I meant old school art lmfao sorry, Yu Yu Hakusho I saw it too.
    Oh I got you, when I think of old school I think of those animes that were like moving slideshows.

On that note I need to watch a new anime. Anyone got any recommendations?

Oh yeah youwishjellyfish, I just played the PS3 Jojo fighting game. I love it. I would say it's like Watchmen the Movie in that watching that movie expected that you had already read the comics, in the same way that if you were going to play this game then reading the manga was a foregone conclusion. I'm not saying it's absolutely necessary, but the devs basically did their research and added tiny details that only fans would know about like how certain attacks are different for a certain case.

if the game gets you into the series more then yea go and get it. its one of those "simple to learn, difficult to master" fighting games since the specials are so ball-bustingly easy

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    Oh I got you, when I think of old school I think of those animes that were like moving slideshows.

Specific genre? I mean there are so many to choose from and I don't know which ones you've watched.

myanimelist is generally a good place to look.
    Quote Originally Posted by Youwishjellyfish View Post
    One of these days I'm going to punch you right in the throat.

...Let's Go Exploring!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Specific genre? I mean there are so many to choose from and I don't know which ones you've watched.
    Hmm, I guess something like cowboy bebop/samurai champloo, so something preferably short with action.

Hellsing and Trigun first come to mind. Youwishjellyfish will probably have better recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal2 View Post
    Also anyone knows a good old school anime? I dont know im just interested since i watched Samurai Champloo.
    Hmmm, I'm not well read in old-school anime, but I'll try and give you a list of early 2000 and 90's anime that I liked:
    Perfect Blue
    GTO
    Paranoia Agent
    Plantes
    Kino's Journey
    Outlaw Star
    Wolf's Rain
    Haibane Renmei
    The original Ghost in the Shell
    Paprika
    Memories
    Gungrave
    RahXephon
    Akira
    Every Ghibli film ever
    And of course, Tonari no Seki-kun

Quote Originally Posted by Hewitt View Post
    I need opinions on Boogiepop. Anyone watched it? What's it like.
    I haven't watched it, but it seems to have a reasonable score on MAL, it has interesting genre tags, and is probably a show you'll like if you liked Serial Experiments Lain or Paranoia Agent. Which means it's now on my 'to watch' list.

Hmmm, I don't think a lot of these are similar to Bebop or Champloo, but they are solid action shows that I enjoyed. I can elaborate on anything if you want.
    Spoiler for it's a list!:

Spoiler for non actiony shows that I think are baller:

Quote Originally Posted by Hewitt View Post
    Oh yeah youwishjellyfish, I just played the PS3 Jojo fighting game. I love it. I would say it's like Watchmen the Movie in that watching that movie expected that you had already read the comics, in the same way that if you were going to play this game then reading the manga was a foregone conclusion. I'm not saying it's absolutely necessary, but the devs basically did their research and added tiny details that only fans would know about like how certain attacks are different for a certain case.

if the game gets you into the series more then yea go and get it. its one of those "simple to learn, difficult to master" fighting games since the specials are so ball-bustingly easy
    In all honest the chances of me playing the game are around zero, but that's more because I haven't picked up a controller since Bioshock Infinite came out. But I do like what the devs have done in making it for the fans, anything less would make it feel like a cheap money grab, having enough details in there that the fans will appreciate it while still making it accessible to first timers is how it should be. But it sounds like fun, and at the end of the day that's all anybody wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Hellsing and Trigun first come to mind. Youwishjellyfish will probably have better recommendations.
    How did I forget Hellsing....
    Speaking of Hellsing, does anybody know if Funimation is going to dub/release ep 9 and 10? I've been holding off finishing it because I was planning on buying everything and watching it all again in English, but I dunno... This is taking forever...
    Last edited by Youwishjellyfish; 04-27-2014 at 11:54 PM.
    "Just floating along"

Uhh I wouldn't say samurai champloo is old school anime, but anyways if you haven't seen Yu Yu Hakusho I would recommend it.
    tbh I feel like Hunter x Hunter is a more perfected version of Yu Yu Hakusho.

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    tbh I feel like Hunter x Hunter is a more perfected version of Yu Yu Hakusho.
    Both have its fair share of hiccups.

Hmmm, I'm not well read in old-school anime, but I'll try and give you a list of early 2000 and 90's anime that I liked:
    Perfect Blue
    GTO
    Paranoia Agent
    Plantes
    Kino's Journey
    Outlaw Star
    Wolf's Rain
    Haibane Renmei
    The original Ghost in the Shell
    Paprika
    Memories
    Gungrave