StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!
Page 330 of 676 FirstFirst ... 230280320326327328329330331332333334340380430 ... LastLast
Results 3,291 to 3,300 of 6757

Thread: The Anime/manga thread (+ recommendations!)

You can't have aspects of both? Why do you need to label it one or the other?

Can't it be a coming of age slice of life comedy school drama?
    "Just floating along"

Quote Originally Posted by Youwishjellyfish View Post
    You can't have aspects of both? Why do you need to label it one or the other?

Can't it be a coming of age slice of life comedy school drama?
    Obviously a piece of fictional medium will more often than not cover multiple genres, but there are instances where certain genres are more emphasized or more apparent than the others. That's what I'm asking.
    One of these days I'm going to punch you right in the throat.

Then I'd go with slice of life comedy, while the students can be considered main characters Oniuka is the protagonist, and he doesn't really get coming of age development, he just helps with his students development. If a student was the protagonist and focused on that students development then I would consider it less of a slice of life and more of a comedic coming of age story.

I still think genre designation is silly.
    "Just floating along"

Slice of life is literally self explanatory though, how did you not know what it was
    H̶ ̶O̶ ̶O̶ ̶D̶ ̶S̶ ̶H̶ ̶I̶ ̶T̶ _! H̶ ̶O̶ ̶O̶ ̶D̶ ̶S̶ ̶H̶ ̶I̶ ̶T̶_

H̶ ̶O̶ ̶O̶ ̶D̶ ̶S̶ ̶H̶ ̶I̶ ̶T̶ _! H̶ ̶O̶ ̶O̶ ̶D̶ ̶S̶ ̶H̶ ̶I̶ ̶T̶_

It sounds like it's more of an issue of when does something stop being a slice of life and start being a narrative.
    "Just floating along"

Then I'd go with slice of life comedy, while the students can be considered main characters Oniuka is the protagonist, and he doesn't really get coming of age development, he just helps with his students development. If a student was the protagonist and focused on that students development then I would consider it less of a slice of life and more of a comedic coming of age story.

I still think genre designation is silly.
    It's for the manga recommendations I'm doing you clod.

Quote Originally Posted by Drone View Post
    Slice of life is literally self explanatory though, how did you not know what it was
    When I first saw Slice of Life I immediately thought flashback. I guess I'm dumb.

I'm watching Death Note and I feel like I have sinned for having reached ep 20 in a day, yet am still at ep 6 of Baccano after weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    It's for the manga recommendations I'm doing you clod.
    That's what I thought, and that's what I find so confusing! I still think trying to file a show under one genre is silly, but it makes more sense if you give it a description as well (possibly mentioning other genres it fits into), but that's what I don't get if you were planning on putting it under one genre wouldn't you put it under comedy? I don't understand what's going on with trying to work out if it's a slice of life or a coming of age... Stop making my head hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    I'm watching Death Note and I feel like I have sinned for having reached ep 20 in a day, yet am still at ep 6 of Baccano after weeks.
    I bet your sister would finish Baccano in under a day -.-

Is there anything in particular about Death Note that's getting you off or something about Baccano that's just not doing it for you?
    "Just floating along"

Well Death Note does the sort-of-cliffhanger thing while Baccano doesn't really give me that feeling every episode, so I don't mind stopping until I completely forget that I'm actually watching it. I think because there's a buttload of things happening in Baccano that I seem to not be able to follow all of them, so I don't get the "WHAT HAPPENS NEXT???!!?!??!" question that often bothers me into marathoning something (btw I actually caved and marathoned FMA:B after the Lust episode lmfao). I mean, honestly I love way more things about Baccano (it's about mafias, it has interesting characters, humor, the soundtrack is amazing) than I do Death Note, but I just don't seem to have the capacity to take everything in every episode.

The first two or three episodes are pretty convoluted, but after about the fourth or fifth episode everything starts to make a lot more sense imo. I felt the same when I first started. I was thinking "This isn't that great" and then after you get to a certain point it just gets better and better.

The OP is fucking amazing too.

Thread Information