StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!
Page 342 of 676 FirstFirst ... 242292332338339340341342343344345346352392442 ... LastLast
Results 3,411 to 3,420 of 6756

Thread: The Anime/manga thread (+ recommendations!)

Quote Originally Posted by Youwishjellyfish View Post
    Mostly joking. You can't tell me what to do! I'm not scared of that green name!

Also, I'm going to leave this here, it's a lot of reading but you should come out of it with more appreciation for the supernatural side of the story. If you don't, well, then you're a monster.

I don't like the fact that I have to read in-between the lines so much, but I can see what you're saying.

You haven't responded to anything else I've said. Does that mean you agree with me?

EDIT:
    Btw, I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but what's the anime in your avatar?

EDIT2:
    To those who are following, I'm mostly busy lately, so that's why I haven't been able to do any manga recommendations recently. I'll try to get more done soon.
    Last edited by Raptor; 09-02-2014 at 07:59 PM.
    One of these days I'm going to punch you right in the throat.

Jellys avatar is from uchouten kazoku if I remember correctly
    H̶ ̶O̶ ̶O̶ ̶D̶ ̶S̶ ̶H̶ ̶I̶ ̶T̶ _! H̶ ̶O̶ ̶O̶ ̶D̶ ̶S̶ ̶H̶ ̶I̶ ̶T̶_

Currently eyeing a kick starter for an anime called Under the Dog. It seems to have a lot of guys with some neat credentials working on it.
    Spoiler for Earnings:

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Cheeky.

I don't like the fact that I have to read in-between the lines so much, but I can see what you're saying.
    Do you mean reading in-between the lines of what I'm saying, or reading in-between the lines of the anime? If it's what I'm saying, the only part I was joking was the tl;dr, everything else was serious with a dash of my usual minx attitude . If you don't like reading in-between the lines of Clannad then I think you missed out, realizing all the small hints and such in the first season is actually one of the only reasons I have any respect for it. But eh.

You haven't responded to anything else I've said. Does that mean you agree with me?
    Sorry, I'm working on a lab report that's due tomorrow, and I thought that link addressed most of what you said (at least regarding to the supernatural side of things). But I might as well take the time to reply to everything, my lab partner is a twat who's left me high and dry enough times so he can't complain if this isn't done by when he wants it, and I feel like you would do the same.

EDIT:
    Btw, I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but what's the anime in your avatar?
    The Eccentric Family, it's on CR if you're interested, it takes a while to actually get going, but it turned out to be a really solid story about family. Would recommend.

Can tell if you're joking or not. Either way, shoo.
    No you shoo! Wait, haven't I been here before.

I treated it like I was watching a show, I did not treat it like a visual novel. Regardless of what it's based on and what I should expect, I will critique things based on what did and didn't bother me. I do give content the benefit of the doubt in certain scenarios if it's based off a different medium, but that doesn't change the fact that I'll judge the anime based on what I see.
    I get that an adaptation should stand alone and shouldn't require any previous knowledge of the show. I'll even agree that it doesn't excuse it or anything, but I do think it's a legitimate justification. There just isn't a way of getting around not being able to develop a character to the same extent as if they were the romantic interest.

I know what it says. That doesn't change the fact that I felt that the balance of supernatural and reality was not well-done.
    I do not agree.

When like more than half of the arcs are realistic and deals with real life problems rather than the interjection of the supernatural? For example, the Sunohara arc and the Thug arc of AS were both realistic. Nagisa's arcs were realistic. Pretty much every arc that wasn't the cat arc of AS, Fu's arc, and the turning-back-the-clock part of AS were realistic.
    I still don't see how having both romanticism and every day life themes is jarring, but at this point we might be just arguing preferences. Nagisa's arcs weren't exactly realistic, Akio prays to an open field when his daughter is sick and it responds by saving her life (ineffectively but still saving it (that link I gave touches on this really well)), the whole school play is based on a shadow of a memory of the Illusionary World.
    I don't remember this.
    Orbs grant wish = happy ending (I'm pretty sure it's said a few times too, or is that just the legend, I also can't remember if one was used when charging the cat to grant the cat ladies wish). Again, Town saving Nagisa, read the link, it's good fun, I swear.

If you're talking about Kotomi's arc, it was only ever mentioned. It was never shown or referenced in any other way, so I have a hard time believing that was supernatural.
    It was her parents research. Tomoya remembering the IW when he sees Nagisa's play, conversations during the IW scenes. Read the link lol.

Sort of? But the arcs deal with real life events and mostly realistic themes for the majority of the arcs where the supernatural feels out of place. The "other world" scenes I didn't think were supernatural, I thought that they were just subtle messages and imagery that related to the actual story.
    I do not agree. And I'm more referring to town legends and Tomoya talking about how the town is out to get him.

First of all, hey now.
    Second of all, Tomoya and Ushio bonding together in such a happy and great way is definitely not my definition of tragedy.
    Yeah, until a certain thing happens. Which also didn't make me cry, it's actually one of the few scenes when I disregarded the romanticism that was going on and actually got angry about the fact that no matter how you look at it, that shit is bad parenting.

Hey man, this is just my opinion and I know some people don't agree, but I just think that the development between Ushio and Tomoya was very well-done, I just felt that it was unnecessary to turn back the clock after presenting a perfectly fine world.
    Spoiler for well:
    I thin I said something similar to Smile about this, that if you did in fact take away all the supernatural themes in the show and replaced the characters with people that were realistic you would probably have a masterpiece and that 'perfectly fine world' would have been a great place to end the story, but then that wouldn't be Clannad. You would be taking away something amazing and replacing it with a different type of amazing (with the exception of the moe girls, we can replace them).

Soooooooo, different strokes for different blokes.
    "Just floating along"

@Envoy, yeah, I saw this a while back, it looks like a pretty cool project
    It's got a lot of big names behind it, and that's usually more than enough to ensure a successful anime

Well after reading so much about clannad I feel like I should bump that up to my next anime I watch (it's been on the to watch list for a while now but I had others in front of it, as if I had an order in first place established, but I digress) so hopefully I can contribute to this whole clannad talk (by then I know it will have finished and I'll be bringing up old news sadly)

Do you mean reading in-between the lines of what I'm saying, or reading in-between the lines of the anime? If it's what I'm saying, the only part I was joking was the tl;dr, everything else was serious with a dash of my usual minx attitude . If you don't like reading in-between the lines of Clannad then I think you missed out, realizing all the small hints and such in the first season is actually one of the only reasons I have any respect for it. But eh.
    Its not that I don't like reading in-between the lines, I just tend to dislike stories that require a second watch to fully appreciate it. To me, I think a good show is able to tell its story and can be fully appreciated from just a single watch. But I see where you're coming from.

The Eccentric Family, it's on CR if you're interested, it takes a while to actually get going, but it turned out to be a really solid story about family. Would recommend.
    I will watch.

No you shoo! Wait, haven't I been here before.

I do not agree.

I still don't see how having both romanticism and every day life themes is jarring, but at this point we might be just arguing preferences. Nagisa's arcs weren't exactly realistic, Akio prays to an open field when his daughter is sick and it responds by saving her life (ineffectively but still saving it (that link I gave touches on this really well)), the whole school play is based on a shadow of a memory of the Illusionary World.

Orbs grant wish = happy ending (I'm pretty sure it's said a few times too, or is that just the legend, I also can't remember if one was used when charging the cat to grant the cat ladies wish). Again, Town saving Nagisa, read the link, it's good fun, I swear.

It was her parents research. Tomoya remembering the IW when he sees Nagisa's play, conversations during the IW scenes. Read the link lol.

I do not agree. And I'm more referring to town legends and Tomoya talking about how the town is out to get him.
    That ain't fair, I posted this before you posted the link.

Soooooooo, different strokes for different blokes.
    Yes.
    One of these days I'm going to punch you right in the throat.

Nobody has mentioned this, so I decided to drop by and leave this here since I know alot of people really like Kill la Kill here. Smile

For those who don't know Kill la Kill's 25th episode, or OVA is coming September 3rd. And If I remember correctly. It'll be on the Japanese blu-rays.
    Get hype.

I'm expecting Horriblesubs to get the fastest sub out, and goddamnit I wanna see this as soon as possible.

But I see where you're coming from.
    No you don't. You don't know me you don't know my life.

Generally I'd agree with you, but stuff like Haibane Renmei, Serial Experiments Lain, and even something like Ergo Proxy (to an extent) are shows that are great because of their complexity and you really do benefit from watching them a second time. I'm not saying Clannad is on that level, because it's not, but I do think it deserves credit for having some pretty sophisticated themes that aren't spoon fed to the audience, even if it means they miss those themes (because lets face it, you weren't expecting them and they caught you off guard).

I will watch.
    I look forward to talking to you about it this time next year.

Get your own Onanie Master Kurosawa reaction pics! God knows there's enough!

That ain't fair, I posted this before you posted the link.
    Hey hey hey, you got up me for not replying to what you said before you checked out the link I posted. Who's the real victim here?

Yes.
    No.
    "Just floating along"

Quote Originally Posted by bl3u View Post
    Smile
    I am appalled you think I don't know about this yet.
    But seeing as how: nyaa is down; I still haven't gotten the hang of this archaic downloading using IRC; even though I can search with tokyotosho there's still 0 seeders, I'll probably not watch this until some other anime site resurfaces or until nyaa gets back up. That, and the hype died out a few ago.

Thread Information