StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self improvement

Self improvement

I have a friend that when drunk, becomes loud, obnoxious, thoughtless, and just plain irritating. On the few occasions ive brought this up with him, and pointed out these flaws, he has failed to recognize these as issues that could be improved on. He also thinks that, as his best friend, the fact that I dont accept him for him, the good and the bad, is one of my shortcomings. Which has got me thinking.

Is it right to point out someones flaws in the hope that they grow? Or should you accept someone's personality completely?

EDIT: Should someone change when presented with their flaws?
    Last edited by Youwishjellyfish; 12-02-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Personally I would just point them out in a suggestive matter, what they do about their flaws is their problem.
    If they fail to recognize it, what becomes of them is their own upbringing.

Banned
    If someone's flaws cause any kind of harm to themselves or other people, you're pretty much obligated to make them aware of the fact that doing those things is bad, but if what they are doing is just annoying, maybe you should just find someone else to talk to. Especially if they think being an asshole is excusable.

Should someone change when presented with their flaws?
    If they are legitimate flaws and actually bad things, then I can't see why not. Why would you ever willingly be worse than you could be?
    Last edited by Fusion; 12-02-2012 at 05:27 PM.

Ive edited the thread to hopefully get more of a for and against argument as i did a dodgy job on the wording.

Quote Originally Posted by Youwishjellyfish View Post
    Is it right to point out someones flaws in the hope that they grow? Or should you accept someone's personality completely?
    What's right or wrong is relative to the objectives. If your objective is to improve someone, then any action that leads to the improvement of that person would be right, and any action that leads to the opposite, would be wrong.

It is your responsibility to consider what might or what might not cause a person to improve. Certainly, there are ways that you could influence a person, as someone they trust. Try looking up suggestion for a start.

Should someone change when presented with their flaws?
    Now that's a moral question. Should a person change if their objective is to improve? Yes. What if he doesn't want to improve? Then he shouldn't change. So you need to know his objectives before answering that question.

Quote Originally Posted by Abstraction View Post
    What's right or wrong is relative to the objectives. If your objective is to improve someone, then any action that leads to the improvement of that person would be right
    I would like to bring up that people will define whats 'flaw' and 'improvement' differently. If a person who believes same sex relations are wrong goes to a group of homosexuals a says 'What your doing is wrong, you should all go and become straight'. Was it right for them to do that? No. Should that group change due to them being presented with this 'flaw'? Of course not. So no, someone should not change when presented with their flaws.

And of this post, I am opposed to the statement.

If he's drunk, it's not as easy telling somebody about it as when they're sober.
    For that part, not much else to say.

Everything above is pretty correct though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    If someone's flaws cause any kind of harm to themselves or other people, you're pretty much obligated to make them aware of the fact that doing those things is bad, but if what they are doing is just annoying, maybe you should just find someone else to talk to. Especially if they think being an asshole is excusable.

If they are legitimate flaws and actually bad things, then I can't see why not. Why would you ever willingly be worse than you could be?
    This really should just be the end of the thread. You can't get more right.

By all means lock it and all that jazz.

I don't have a legit reason to close this thread. I was just putting in my 2 cents. If you agree though, then go for it. It's your thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information