StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!
Page 164 of 164 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164
Results 1,631 to 1,634 of 1634

Thread: wRHG Discussion & Help

Legendary Demon Hunter Azarel CS.777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FalconX578 View Post
    Oh, you don't have to wait for me Azarel, I forgot to tell you, but I think it be best that I wait for jirochi (his new name ) first. Some of my story bits revolve around what happens (I made two versions, one if I win and one if I lose). Jirocho says he had an emergency trip for work. I hope he's alright as of now, it was pretty very important what he said. All in all, I'm hoping he returns sometime soon, our battle was supposed to be the 30'th of August, but if he doesn't show by like end of September, I may have to post my part, seeing as how he should be back by then, at least you would think so.
    Oh, okay then dude. First, i'll work on Az's demo, then his story, and then VS Piasu. But I don't think that I'll rewrite Azarel VS Ethernu.
    Bladeslinger

Credit goes to: Me (Azarel)
    I believe in Jesus Christ as my Savior. If you're not afraid to admit it then paste this into your signature.

Ends of the World (RP)

(click the text!)

Sentient Training Dummy buckethead's Avatar
    hey there everyone I am here to see what you guys all think of a new fighter or group of fighter that I came up with. Cnc would be most helpful.
    Spoiler for The heads of Cerberus:
    Last edited by buckethead; 09-11-2017 at 02:39 PM.
    Do I look like a dummy to you? The answer is yes because I am a training dummy named Fred.

Legendary Demon Hunter Azarel CS.777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    hey there everyone I am here to see what you guys all think of a new fighter or group of fighter that I came up with. Cnc would be most helpful.
    Spoiler for The heads of Cerberus:
    Huh, interesting... and yes GreekGladiator, I guess you're seeing more and more characters from Greek.
    Bladeslinger

Credit goes to: Me (Azarel)
    I believe in Jesus Christ as my Savior. If you're not afraid to admit it then paste this into your signature.

Ends of the World (RP)

(click the text!)

I'm pulling this quote out of it's context for a moment, but I'm keeping the link to its original intact. Let's talk. What do we think about this idea here:

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    So what am I here for, then? Well first of all to tell you that quantifying your character's attributes is bollocks.
    Or the idea of putting numbers on character powers and abilities. Is it bollocks, is there a way to set it up to where it isn't bollocks, and so on. I might end up spiraling this out into a larger discussion later on, but I'm going to try and keep it simple and focused for now. Let's talk numbers.

One of the more common uses of numbers to work out character powers is a stat system. I don't know if there's a single uniform one that everyone pulls from, but the ones I see here usually look something like this, but more detailed and lengthy:

Strength:
    ?? / ??
    explanation

Speed:
    ?? / ??
    explanation

Intelligence:
    ?? / ??
    explanation

And personally I think that's okay depending on the explanation and the numbers you give. Even if some would insinuate the pointlessness of all of it.

As I told Oster, your character's limits, powers and weaknesses are always relative to the circumstances they're in. Putting an absolute "7/10" on it is pointless because it's probably a five on average, and an eight at most.
    If this is the case, then listing the stat as 5-8/10 probably wouldn't hurt. Nor would just explaining how the stat is only meant as an estimate anyways, in the event that it is. Which does raise a fair point, mind you -- why would you say your character has a uniform strength of 9/10ths of what it would take to lift 10 tons, when they can, in all actuality, lift 9.1?

Perhaps you could argue that these stats represent your character at his strongest, but then they lose all meaning because we've no indication as to how strong your character is on average. You can't put a number on all three (weakest/average/strongest) either, because you can't ever know just how far you can push yourself.
    Can't you, though? Can't you say that about your character? It would be different when it comes to guessing at your own strength, but if your character can, at the current moment, lift 9.11 tons, max, at the present moment, shouldn't you be able to say that? I'm not saying you should be that precise with it -- you really shouldn't -- but if you're specifically designing a scenario where that .11 tons of leeway comes into play, then that's something you should be able to say about your character. If your character can lift just above 9 tons, and is going to, then you should be able to say that your character has trained to lift just above 9 tons.

That might sound like an arbitrary example -- and it's certainly an oddly and unnecessarily specific one, but let's apply the same framework to a different example. JimmyBlaze 's FireBlazter has fire so hot... it can... uh...

We're not really sure how hot JimmyBlaze's fire is. But we know it can boil water. It's not quite as hot as the biggest star in the universe, but I mean, it could be warmer than the surface of the sun. Yeah no, you're going to have to be more specific. I'm not saying it has to be out of ten, or a hundred, or hell, even a number at all, but give me an idea here. We talking 200 degrees Fahrenheit, or 200,000? When the picture you're painting is that vague, giving us some numbers to work with really wouldn't be a bad idea.

But you've got to be careful with numbers too, just like you should be with words. Take Vern's universe destroying biscuit example:

Suppose you had a biscuit, but his power is that he can destroy the entire universe instantly. He'd score a zero on every category because he's a fucking biscuit, except on powers where he'd get a ten. His total would then be 10/70, vastly below the power curve, but he's stronger than literally everything conceivable because he can obliterate the universe instantly. So there goes your estimate.
    To chart this out for you, here's the biscuit's stats as Vern's listing them in this example, and how you should probably actually list them if you were making an actual profile of this:

Spoiler for Vern's Stats:

Spoiler for My Stats:

so really...

Point is, putting numbers on your powers is dumb. They mean nothing, so don't do it.
    only if you list them out like that, smh

Thread Information