StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!
Page 163 of 164 FirstFirst ... 63113153159160161162163164 LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,630 of 1634

Thread: wRHG Discussion & Help

Quote Originally Posted by XDHunterNest View Post
    Oh, yeah. I'll get to it. xD Thanks for reminding me!
    NP dude.
    Bladeslinger

Credit goes to: Me (Azarel)
    I believe in Jesus Christ as my Savior. If you're not afraid to admit it then paste this into your signature.

Ends of the World (RP)

(click the text!)

Someone I've been thinking of placing this one as my gladiator if i get tired of Erik. Some opinions would be nice.

Spoiler for Siene:

The rest of her needed info is in the works but I'd like to ask if the powers are Op.

Wasting his time
    but I'd like to ask if the powers are Op.
    Let me put it like this, the moment you have to ask this question is the moment you have your answer.

I'll go a bit more in depth as to why, but that's only because this character reminds me so much of June, my character I'd like to think you've never heard of but seem to be taking a lot of clues from.

So let's start with what this is about: Telekinesis and telepathy. Let me just be very brief here: These two powers are about as strong as they get. The thing with telekinesis is that it's basically everything-manipulation, so every additional power you give your character past that point is just a staple. You'll either end up using that other power because it is more readily available (Such as your character being able to shoot psionic lasers, so why would you need telekinesis?), or you'll end up using telekinesis all the time.

The real trouble with telekinesis is this though: What's there to stop you from instantly blowing your opposition to meaty giblets with your mind? An easy answer would be 'oh she can't lift other people', but that argument is kinda debunked by the fact that she can levitate herself, implying that she can indeed affect organic matter. So let's take it a step further: She can only affect people as a whole entity (EG not affect their arm seperately to rip it off). Alright, then my question becomes: What's stopping her from flinging her opponent a mile into the air and letting gravity take care of the rest? Not many gladiators are built for flight. Next argument, 'oh she's too inexperienced for that stuff and it strains her too much', alright, then why is she able to lift herself? As you can see it sort of keeps building.

So let's take a look at June and how I approached the situation: First and foremost, June is very inexperienced. She can only really launch herself a bit, she struggles to keep a grasp on other people if at all, in general her powers aren't all that refined. But despite that, she's still adept enough to take like, a sawblade and mentally chuck that at someone's neck at the speed of an arrow. Of course, that's a far more lenient approach than just "blow you to giblets" already, but it doesn't really suffice since telekinesis still has way too many applications that could kill someone in the blink of an eye. So the simple answer is that June doesn't kill. Sure, this doesn't bar her from just tearing people apart with her powers but you're going to be a lot more hesitant to use excessive force if lethality is not your intention.

But this isn't about June. I'd bring up how telepathy is also a whole deal on its own: the ability to read minds and always be a step up on your opponent is severe, but you say that that power is severely underserved and doesn't have any application in battle anyways, so let's move on.

Anything you add on top of telekinesis is excessive. The ability to make psionic energy weapons is nice and all, but kinda becomes irrelevant if you consider that the entire world becomes a weapon when you can lift things with your mind. The way I see it is that you have telekinesis on the material plane, and then all the psionic bullshit is just telekinesis on a.. (psionic plane?) So you'll have to scrap one of the two to start with. I wouldn't recommend scrapping the psionic deal, cause then you're just making a copycat version of a character that already readily exists, and I'd argue that the psionics stuff is more up your alley anyways.

Moving on, let's examine the other powers themselves. The two main psionic powers are enough for this character, you don't need any of the ultimate shit because these already give you enough depth in a gladiator. Let's break down why your ultimate moves and your weaknesses are bullshit;

The problem with any 'ultimate move' is that they are extremely boring and predictable and serve no other purpose than to be a plot device, or just excessive portraiture. They add no depth or value to the character. If you've this sort of 'trump card' abilities, I'll spell you out word for word how your every battle will go:

There's two scenarios,
    1) Your dude fights the other dude. Due to circumstances or due to sheer matchup, your character is drawing on the short end and will have to escalate his efforts. The opponent beats your protag down, only for them to use the ultra and shift the tides and they come out on top.
    2) You decide not to shoot your protag in the foot with screenwriter's bull and portray them with their actual strength. They roflstomp their opponent and end up blowing their ultra too soon because they're cocky or something ("oh look my character is overconfident that's an original weakness"), now they're drawing on the short end again and will have to escalate their efforts if they want to win.

Ultras are stupid. I'll just hearken back to what Richard once said about them: "Suppose your character has a gun. No matter which way you twist or turn it, if your character wants to win they'll end up using that gun. If they don't, why do they have a gun in the first place?" It's the same thing with ultras. They're just pretentious bull that might seem really cool when played out in your head, and may impress those who don't know any better, but they strangle creativity. As a result, they make a character bland, boring and predictable. If they don't even use the ultras, why the fuck do they have these moves to begin with? Just so you have a bullshit failsafe for when you as a writer can't think of a way to have your character come out on top without Deus Ex Machina? By all means, that just goes to show you suck at what you're trying to do. And don't get me wrong, it's okay to suck, as long as you have the intention of improving. Allowing this kind of storytelling in your stories just goes to show you don't give a rat's ass about what you're writing in the first place, so why the fuck should I be expected to give a shit?

Your weaknesses are bull too. I'm gonna pull up June again because I spent months thinking about how to balance her out. I'm not saying I know how to balance gladiators know, but I will say I have learned a lot about how NOT to balance a gladiator.

Absolute (numerical) weaknesses are bullshit. So you can summon five constructs and then what? You can't, if the situation demands it from you, exert yourself to summon a sixth one? What happens then? Does your mind implode? If you can't push yourself past five, doesn't that mean that already having five is straining you by quite a bit? Would having five smartphones be as taxing on your mind as five two storey buildings? These weaknesses and limits make no sense because there's no relativity to them. That's like examining the human body and arbitrarily deciding that it can take three bullets and then die. That's not how the world works, people have died from a single bullet, people have lived through an entire clip. Circumstances are everything. No power is absolute, no weakness is absolute. Heck, on a lazy day I could perhaps lift like, what, thirty kilograms tops before I say fuck it, but if you put me in a situation where I'm screwed, I can easily lift twice that if not more.

Rather than telling us the absolute limit, tell us the relative limit. From what point on is your character really pushing themselves? This goes for the first weakness too. What are the limits of her body? And don't give me arbitrary bullshit like "She can only use her full powers for five minutes straight and then they switch off like someone flipped a switch". Think about it.

TL;DR - You want to know how to make this a balanced character? Scrap telekinesis, scrap the ultras, and completely redo the weaknesses. Keep teleportation and telepathy only if you feel they're integral to the character. Say that she can fly by psionic energy alone, instead of just telekinesis, if you think her flying is important. Keep the psionic manipulation and constructs. And the mere mention of the word "Abyss" is already making me assume that this character is going to be overly edgy, so really try to surprise me there if it's not too late for that shit yet.

Thanks for the earnest reply Vern, it was very helpful, currently in the process of revising her.

True enough I'm stuck on revising her weakness, hopefully i can think of something soon enough. And well, I'm not trying to make her edgy. I just couldn't find a better name to give to the alternate dimension while keeping it's theme.
    Last edited by Oster; 09-08-2017 at 10:51 PM.

Wasting his time
    Quote Originally Posted by Oster View Post
    Thanks for the earnest reply Vern, it was very helpful, currently in the process of revising her.

True enough I'm stuck on revising her weakness, hopefully i can think of something soon enough. And well, I'm not trying to make her edgy. I just couldn't find a better name to give to the alternate dimension while keeping it's theme.
    I'm just glad you're considering what I said in the first place.

As for the name, well I myself have always tried to opt for the most accessible names anyways so I can see where you're coming from. I'm just of the opinion that there's a particular set of names that are such staples that they're best steered away from. Though in all honesty, if it is an Abyss you're talking about then I see no need for change. Suppose it were to be edgy, it wouldn't be any less edgy were it called the Void instead, or whatever latin/greek bullshit one might come up with (if anything I'd argue the latter is even worse). So you do you.

Good luck with your stuff.

In addition to what Vern said, if you can't look at a handful of random characters and not see a good fight with them, there are likely some tweaks that need to be made. I'd try to come up with a good range like not weaker than X, not stronger than Y, but I'm having a hard time figuring out top slot

I have a question. Can I rewrite my past battles so they, y'know, go with Azarel's story better (but of course the votes don't change)?
    Bladeslinger

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Savior. If you're not afraid to admit it then paste this into your signature.

Ends of the World (RP)

(click the text!)

I don't see the harm in it, but I don't know where they'd go, to be honest. I would give the people you fought heads up though

Quote Originally Posted by Crank View Post
    I don't see the harm in it, but I don't know where they'd go, to be honest. I would give the people you fought heads up though
    Okay then. I'll rewrite my battle against Piasu and (maybe) Sharpiro after I finish my spar against Falcon, my new demo and my reworked story. Phew.
    Bladeslinger

Ends of the World (RP)

(click the text!)

Food-loving Senior Member FalconX578's Avatar
    Somewhere over the rainbow and beyond the sea, A.K.A. Narnia (ah, no, did you think you'd get it?).
    Quote Originally Posted by Azarel CS.777 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crank View Post
    Okay then. I'll rewrite my battle against Piasu and (maybe) Sharpiro after I finish my spar against Falcon, my new demo and my reworked story. Phew.
    Oh, you don't have to wait for me Azarel, I forgot to tell you, but I think it be best that I wait for jirochi (his new name ) first. Some of my story bits revolve around what happens (I made two versions, one if I win and one if I lose). Jirocho says he had an emergency trip for work. I hope he's alright as of now, it was pretty very important what he said. All in all, I'm hoping he returns sometime soon, our battle was supposed to be the 30'th of August, but if he doesn't show by like end of September, I may have to post my part, seeing as how he should be back by then, at least you would think so.
    -I believe in Jesus Christ as my Savior. If you're not afraid to admit it then paste this into your signature.-

Information:

wRHG: Farukon.
    wRHG Test Room: The Birdcage (Work In Progress).
    Stick Empires Username: FalconX578.
    Quote Originally Posted by FalconX578
    "You have no idea how many times I've edited my signature." ~FalconX578

Thread Information