StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Catie the Fangirl

That annoying little * Wyrmspawn's Avatar
    Look, I don't see why it matters if the character is overpowered. Sure, it would be cool to have an overpowered character, but there is a trade-off, as I already mentioned. Besides, it doesn't matter about the overpowered-ness of your character. All that matters is the writing skills and writing styles to determine who wins.

(△) Objective: Survive. The Organization's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmspawn View Post
    Look, I don't see why it matters if the character is overpowered. Sure, it would be cool to have an overpowered character, but there is a trade-off, as I already mentioned. Besides, it doesn't matter about the overpowered-ness of your character. All that matters is the writing skills and writing styles to determine who wins.
    We kind a went over this earlier, with this character it puts an unfair research requirement on the opponent so it becomes a battle of knowledge of DA.
    If GuardianTempest full out lines the powers of any summon that Catie can use and posts it here on this thread then that is the only way its fair

That annoying little * Wyrmspawn's Avatar
    Yes, but the writer she is up against can also choose a character they are familiar with for Catie to summon. It's basically a double-edged gimmick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mecha-Hewitt View Post
    All you told me was a chick who through experiencing hardship in the backstreets of whatever backwater urban nightmare has gained a somewhat feisty attitude with a knife, who didn't actually know how to fight. That was so human, so balanced, and so swell to work with and explore. It was something real without all the bells and whistles that some of the other characters in this place would actually add just to think they even had a chance at winning (see my rant on 2nd Forms and Demons in Nikx's character topic).
    This kind of character would have been nice though.

Spoiler for :

(△) Objective: Survive. The Organization's Avatar
    Yes, but the writer she is up against can also choose a character they are familiar with for Catie to summon. It's basically a double-edged gimmick.
    It's still dependent on knowledge of DA not necessarily writing skill, it will also result in a definite lack of consistency. You can't really portray a character accurately if they have a dynamic that isn't constant
    also crystal dragon jesus and powerpuff starscream would literally end every battle

Humorless Artist
    It's like you haven't read the arguments before.

You are already wrong the moment you talk about winning. Do you not understand the point of writing in the first place? It's to have fun. Maybe you've heard of that term before, but it sure as hell seems like you didn't.

Writing against a bad character is going to adversely affect both writers in their writing. We get horrible things like potential for abuse that cannot be resolved due to the character itself without metagaming, as well as unneeded research among others, and trying to even write this character in a believable way (especially in a battle) will kill you. There are some things even good writing can't fix. This is one of them.

I mean no offence to the writer, but it's important to know that character concept is important in order to let both writers enjoy playing around with said characters in a battle.
    Last edited by Lobotomizer; 07-29-2013 at 01:04 AM.

It seems common and uncommon comments alike are pointing to one thing: Revise Heavily or Recycle/Scrap Completely. I'm sorry, I can't allow this OP Character to exist legally. This also means that I can't let you participate in my tournament with your character's current form. It's just too OP for everyone no matter how much you try to justify the limitations thereof

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information