StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The State of the Writer's Lounge: All on the Table

The State of the Writer's Lounge: All on the Table

Opening up, this is mainly directed at the people who write here or post here exclusively. Lots of love for those who don't but still comment here, but I'm just trying to stir things up internally as well.

Anyway! A week ago I sent you all a PM to try to get the bottom of our lack of activity on each other's stories, and to begin I just want to say thanks for all the feedback you guys gave me. I honestly wasn't expecting as good of a turn out as I got!

Here's what we came up with:
    (12/4/14 Update)
    Spoiler for How we feel about receiving comments on our stories.:

Spoiler for How we feel about getting criticism:

Spoiler for Why we give feedback:

Spoiler for Why we don't give feedback:

Spoiler for At a glance:

Spoiler for What to do:

Alright ya guys, I'm opening the door back to you. Anyone have any suggestions about where to go from here? I've always held the theory that ones something starts dripping it'll begin to pour eventually, but I've always known I'm a bit of a blind idealist too.

All suggestions are welcome!
    Last edited by Crank; 12-04-2014 at 08:14 PM.

Why not add the ability to "like" a post, for those who like what they read, but don't really want to explain why? And for those who want to explain why they (don't) like it, they can post their feedback, which people can also "like" if they agree with it. It also allows for lurkers or forum passers-by to give their opinion of the text without really exposing themselves.

*Edit* Liking would be a members-only thing, of course.
    ~~~|\~~~/o/~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Swim, Bob! Swim for your life!
    Spoiler for my RPG personality:

Hey, uh, I think you misunderstand. I'm not trying to get the website to change, I'm trying to get the habits of some of its inhabitants to do so, specifically the writers. Things that'll help us come out of our shell, I suppose.

If I'm even half as good at hyping things up as I pretend to be then I'll get something going pretty soon bb~

How bout ditching wrhg.

Just sayin'

Eh, I feel like the cons outweigh the pros in that regard. I feel like a lot of people even just lurk because they've made the jump so many times and that they have to keep posting it. Plus it's a little bit of the forum identity and encourages at least the engagement of interacting with someone else, if not just for a challenge and then experimenting with a type of character you normally wouldn't.

Retrospectively, this may have been a bad place to put this thread. I feel like the vast majority of my target audience missed it. And I really don't want to send out another mass PM for like, a year.

EDIT: Heh, FA, Mastertop, Stickpage, DeviantArt and Facebook are the only sites I've ever joined. 2 jumps feels like a hell of a lot to me.
    Last edited by Crank; 12-04-2014 at 08:50 PM.

Okay perhaps ditching wrhg is probably too strong a word for you fanatics. How bout, just not making everything wrhg-centric. The constriction is really imo what is bringing about this slump.

There is nowhere else to put this so its fine. You could just PM people to go here if it hasn't already been done.

And what jump "so many times". You've jumped a total of 2 times. FA to Mastertop. Mastertop to Here. Unless I'm missing something...

EDIT: Oh right DA. Forgot about that. ANd Facebook, what? Cmon. Let's be realistic. The harsh truth was that ya'll pussied out the moment FA abandoned ship, and thought only of being an exclusive set when you were playing nomads on the Internet. Stickpage has been nothing but accepting and stable. The jumping around isn't so much as a fault of this place, as the collective consciousness' mindset towards colluding and bringing in fresh blood.

On the subject of interactivity, refer to Sacred's post on writing and loving it. The lounge is not a place to show off primarily, so why are we expecting it to be. I've since given tons of places to give and receive cnc so those sites are actually more viable because they have a system in place. But if you want to create a similar system for here "to prevent unnecessary jumps" then you're main opposition is this Lounge and what it stands for.

The state and issue at hand is more of a problem of Identity. You have to ask yourselves "What IS the WL? What kind of people are in the WL?" Because it seems to expectations are not being met simply because what you expect might not be what this place is all about.
    Last edited by Hewitt; 12-04-2014 at 08:57 PM.

Who needs wRHG to make some quality WL content?

I don't think anyone really thinks they necessarily thinks that's the only way to get good content, it's simply an easy effective way to try to spur each other's creativity.

And maybe Hewitt, but I've known these people for years, I think there's more to it than that.

What was with that edit though? I never bashed Stickpage and I've always been upfront about my primary concern being my writer buddies. It was never about being exclusive either, it was just hanging with friends over a shared hobby. There are no enemies in this, no names, and I fail to see the issue you seem to be having with this thread. I don't want get into a big thing with you though, I can never tell when we're pissed at each other.

My only goal is getting us all comfortable.

Sorry I did not mean to assume. Let it be stricken from the record and stuffs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information