StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Z-Worm, SFCave Clone [Pirate]

you should make power ups ;D
    for like-- stuff--

maybe a lazer to shoot out the lil walls
    or add mini monsters that move up and down that shoot at you

and get a lil wing man, to shoot at stuff
    niggers..

I beat rusender atleast.
    To addicting.

I HATE YOU PIRATE!

What, nobody got over 1000 yet?

Maybe it's easier for me since I programmed it. After ages (minutes) spent tweaking the physics to play just right I suppose I developed a "feel" for the game.
    Enjoy.

I got.

Final Score: OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Omg. I just used a meme!
    This means im cool now right?!

Maybe if you actually got over 9000 I'd be impressed. The meme alone wont cut it. Here's my current high score, if anyone wants to try tackling the "developer's score".

Augh. 704

._.

Great game.

Editamn! 988

These Walls by Dream Theater

Its a really good job coding wise, but it isn't that orginal of an idea (although that was kind of the point I see). My only suggestion is that you make it go a little faster or have settings where you could chose how fast the screen moves.

Quote Originally Posted by strong2 View Post
    Its a really good job coding wise, but it isn't that orginal of an idea (although that was kind of the point I see). My only suggestion is that you make it go a little faster or have settings where you could chose how fast the screen moves.
    Yeah, originality wasn't even a concern here.

My aim was simply to create a decent Flash clone of the ever popular game, not to add anything new to it. I figured trying to improve on an already perfect formula would ruin the game and take away from the simple addictiveness.

I actually did increase the speed a lot. If you play the original SFcave you'll notice the speed difference between it and my version. I think the only real way to increase the speed more would be to up the frame rate.

If you would care for an explanation as to why, read on:

The little engine I coded that generates the moving terrain works by spitting out segments of terrain each frame. One segment for the bottom, and one for the top. The terrain moves at a rate of 4 pixels per frame, so of course, each segment is 4 pixels wide. If for example I wanted to make the terrain move at 7 pixels per frame instead, I could do it easily, by adjusting the speed, and then making each segment 7 pixels wide.

BUT, there is a tradeoff. Since the tunnel is now composed of 7 pixel sections, it can no longer make as steep of a climb. If the tunnel took a rapid turn upwards, the segments would be very noticeable. It would look like a set of stairs or something, instead of a smooth incline.

I found 4 pixels was the perfect amount, it made the tunnel move fast, while still appearing smooth. In fact, I bet before reading this, a lot of you never noticed any "segments", because it created a decent illusion of a smooth tunnel. Well, as smooth as possible, considering it's not anti-aliased.
    Enjoy.

Banned
    Really good game but it's just too easy you should make it so the farther you go the faster your worm moves and more obstacles I got to 813 then i looked away at the TV and crashed.

NO!! STOP THIS NOW! no more worms! you need to work on the drop ship game.. CAUSE ITS MORE IMPORTANT! IT MIGHT SOLVE SOMETHING MAN HAS BEEN LOOKING FOR FOREVER!

LIKE WORLD HUNGER OR THE CURE FOR CANCER!
    niggers..

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information