StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Desktop Thread 1.1

The Desktop Thread 1.1

THE DESKTOP THREAD v1.1

Alright. I realize this topic is made alot so I'm going to attempt to make this a permanent topic. So I'll be requesting a sticky. Post your desktop. And for those who don't know how to customize here are some guides and tools on how to customize your dekstop.

CUSTOMIZATION TOOLS AND RESOURCES

Complete Guide to desktop customization
    -Provided by the folks over at 4chan.org, a complete guide to desktop customization. Including tutorials, tips, and resources. Look no further.
    Win7 Ricing reference

Rainmeter
    -A desktop customization tool, lets you add interactive icons, toolbars, and buttons. Also lets you add stylized media players and clocks.
    Customize.org - /r/rainmeter - DeviantART group

RocketDock
    -A customizable dock closely matching that of the Macintosh dock.
    Add-ons - DeviantART group

Stardock
    -A company that offers multiple desktop customization tools including: custom docks, toolbar/theme skins, and a win7 start button for win8, however these programs cost money but come with 30 day trials.
    Windows Fences - Windows Tiles - ObjectDock - Start8 - WindowsFX

Wallpaper sites
    -Offers high resolution wallpapers for all kinds of different themes resolutions follow the links below for extra webpages.
    /w/ - Wallpapers - /wg/ - VladStudio - Interfacelift - Social wallpapering - DeviantART

Windows 8 themes
    -A place to download themes designed and created by microsoft, this includes preset themes and themes created by other individuals
    Microsoft - themesforwindows

Custom Icons
    -On DeviantArt there are plenty of icon packs to help you customize your desktop.
    Guide to icons - IMAGE to .ICO converter

If you have any resources of your own feel free to share them. They may get added to the list, the more the merrier!

SCREENSHOT PROGRAMS

Programs and methods you can use to get your screenshot.

Lightshot
    -Probably the preffered among most users, simply press prt sc and drag the screenshot to the corners of your desktop.

Snag.gy
    -Pressing the prt sc button on your keyboard automatically takes a screenshot and adds it to your clipboard. Go to this site and press ctrl+v in the specified box to upload your screenshot directly from your clipboard.

Screenshot Studio
    -Much like Lightshot, this program works by simply pressing prt sc and selecting the area you wish to take the screenshot of. Different to Lightshot this program comes with integrated photo editing after taking the screenshot. However it doesn't have a direct upload function like Lightshot. And it must be payed for, however there is a trial period for the program.

RANKED DESKTOPS

When a user posts their desktop you have the choice to rate them. Depending on the users rating they will be posted here along with their desktop.

#1 Desktop
    Jombo
    Spoiler for Desktop:

#2 Desktop
    McRhook
    Spoiler for Desktop:

#3 Desktop
    Spoiler for Desktop:

#4 Desktop
    Spoiler for Desktop:

#5 Desktop
    Spoiler for Desktop:

UPDATES

2-22-14 @ 11:30PM - v1.1 Added "Complete Guide to desktop customization"

And here's my desktop. (Two monitors)
    Spoiler for link:

Recourses used: Start8, Rainmeter, /w/, Windows Fences (the fences are hidden)
    Last edited by bl3u; 04-04-2014 at 01:50 PM.

I got this cool theme for my windows called MAC.

Spoiler for desktop:

This is my setup as of late. I used to have a bunch of rainmeter stuff but honestly I felt it was just unnecessary resources used for something that I didn't see all that often. Because I'm in full development mode I just leave Debian 7 and OS X Mavericks open all the time to the left and right of my main monitor. Makes it easy for quickly switching between each OS to test a build or accessing whatever OS specific app I need. I'd like to get an extra monitor for above my main monitor for chat or netflix, I've just been using my laptop for that stuff lately and it's getting crowded on my desk.

Probably not the prettiest or most organized setup to some, but it does what I need and I think looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jombo View Post
    Spoiler for desktop:

This is the desktop of someone who just recently formatted their hard drive #swag
    Holy shit. I nominate this for the #1 Desktop! 10/10

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Spoiler for desktop:

This is my setup as of late. I used to have a bunch of rainmeter stuff but honestly I felt it was just unnecessary resources used for something that I didn't see all that often. Because I'm in full development mode I just leave Debian 7 and OS X Mavericks open all the time to the left and right of my main monitor. Makes it easy for quickly switching between each OS to test a build or accessing whatever OS specific app I need. I'd like to get an extra monitor for above my main monitor for chat or netflix, I've just been using my laptop for that stuff lately and it's getting crowded on my desk.

Probably not the prettiest or most organized setup to some, but it does what I need and I think looks pretty good.
    It looks good. I'd recommend windows fences from Stardock for the icons on your center monitor.
    Last edited by bl3u; 02-11-2014 at 01:01 AM.

I've used fences before and I don't like it. Some people like to hide their icons or put them into boxes or whatever - I don't. When I go to my desktop it's to quickly access something, so I like having things just sitting there so I don't have to scroll. I have them organized sorta, that is I keep my games at the lower right, folders lower left, top row is common applications sort of sorted by type, top right is development-related, second row is utilities. Anything I don't use more than once per week I just remove the shortcut and access it through the start menu.

EDIT: also really common applications are pinned to the task bar at the top.

Also careful about torrent talk.

EDIT 2: also just a warning about Windows Fences, it's known to be insanely buggy and unstable. I've known a few people who've had performance problems after installing windows fences that were fixed by uninstalling it, and one who needed to reformat because windows fences seemed to cause a corruption in one of the important windows executables.
    Last edited by Jeff; 02-11-2014 at 01:01 AM.

I've used fences before and I don't like it. Some people like to hide their icons or put them into boxes or whatever - I don't. When I go to my desktop it's to quickly access something, so I like having things just sitting there so I don't have to scroll. I have them organized sorta, that is I keep my games at the lower right, folders lower left, top row is common applications sort of sorted by type, top right is development-related, second row is utilities. Anything I don't use more than once per week I just remove the shortcut and access it through the start menu.

EDIT: also really common applications are pinned to the task bar at the top.

Also careful about torrent talk.
    I mainly use fences to hide my icons tbh. But to prevent scrolling when I am actually using fences I usually just stretch the fence so all the icons are visible. It fixes the problem. You can probably tell I don't use fences all that much because my taskbar has a total of 23 programs on it.

Pretty average stuff.

What's funny is that I don't use any of these icons more than once a month each. But I just have them there....in case.

Spoiler for desktop:

foobar2000 rep. Audio master race.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronos View Post
    foobar2000 rep. Audio master race.
    I've been told foobar2000 is good. I'll try it out, but I'm fairly content with iTunes lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PLasmaghost View Post
    http://www.filz.us/view/8f0774be-830/

:/ I think I'm gonna give my desktop a face lift.. Ive had this set up since july lol...
    I like it. I love your rainmeter settings in the bottom right of the right monitor.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information