StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!

Thread: The Chat Thread

You've gotta take it easy sometimes though, good for the health.
    ⇑ By, Zero.
    🔥The Lighter of TOXIGEN🔥
    'tis the one and only
    Agmus Flames

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    Don't worry though guys, legalization is an inevitability once our corrupt government realizes they can make a shit ton of money.
    The question is whether or not that shitton of money outweighs the shitton of money provided by lobbyists who are against legalization (ie. from pharmaceutical corporations, private prisons, etc).

I'm personally an advocate of complete decriminalization of all drugs, but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon.

ayyyy lmao

Yooo Scarecrow and Cook, what's good.

Yeah man I wish they would decriminalize drugs considering how hardcore what big pharma gives us can be. The line is so blurry it's almost indistinguishable.

I don't believe there is a line. Drugs are drugs. Medicines are drugs. Poisons are drugs. Toxic substances are drugs. Some minerals are drugs. Hell, if you break them down enough even foods are just a bunch of different drugs smooshed together to make something edible. It's just variations in dosage and usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    The question is whether or not that shitton of money outweighs the shitton of money provided by lobbyists who are against legalization (ie. from pharmaceutical corporations, private prisons, etc).

I'm personally an advocate of complete decriminalization of all drugs, but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon.
    All drugs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Youwishjellyfish View Post
    One of these days I'm going to punch you right in the throat.

All drugs will NEVER be legalized. Hate to burst your bubble, but that won't happen. Not even all recreational. Marijuana might get there, but that's only because it is relatively harmless as far as most drugs go. Opium might be considered some time in the far future, perhaps, but that's it.
    My wRHG Char: The Fixer
    "oh fuck yeah, taco, you've been naughty" ~ Vorpal
    "" ~ Index

~Arch

~^^ENTER THE TUNNEL^^~

Why not?

Nothing is stopping me from huffing paint in public right now. Mind you the people against marijuana classified the shit on the same tier as heroin arbitrarily, so I can't trust the false authorities making the drug laws.
    Also what about how we're not actually stopping that many people from doing drugs, if we learned anything from the last 100 years of experimental drug prohibition. Which has lead to unprecidented crime, corruption and our obvious failure to stop the useage of drugs or their availability to children.

The drug prohibitions we're experiencing now are essentially an experiment rather than a solid proven fact to improve society, it's quite debateable that it's actually harming as much as it's helping.

The American people want drugs, and they'll continue to purchase drugs, illegal or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    All drugs?
    Without exception.

I believe that the worst drugs like methamphetamine are only used because access to cleaner, less harmful substances has been restricted so much. Drug addiction and abuse should be treated a medical issue. The threat of imprisonment isn't going to stop the people who are at risk of falling into a downward spiral from drug use, and actually imprisoning such people only alienates them from what little support they have left, making it harder for any kind of recovery to occur. Deaths from drugs that are easy to overdose on like heroin could be greatly reduced with medically supervised injection sites with sterile supplies, which could also provide support, information and better options.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaeus View Post
    All drugs will NEVER be legalized. Hate to burst your bubble, but that won't happen. Not even all recreational. Marijuana might get there, but that's only because it is relatively harmless as far as most drugs go. Opium might be considered some time in the far future, perhaps, but that's it.
    To be clear, I said "decriminalized", not "legalized, encouraged, and sold at every milk bar".

In any case, you're obviously not keeping up with research. MDMA, LSD, psilocybin, and ibogaine in particular all have ongoing research and demonstrable medical uses. There's plenty of others with great potential, such as cocaine, salvia divinorum, and dimethyltryptamine. MDMA especially is not far behind marijuana in terms of decriminalization. Opium though... seems a long way off to me. There's too much of a monopoly on opioid painkillers for that to happen any time soon, not to mention the recent crack down on the so-called "opioid epidemic".

Incidentally, the only reason such substances haven't been proven to have medical benefits sooner is the fact that research slows to a crawl when a substance is made illegal - and I suspect this was probably a big part of why they were made illegal in the first place (ie. to eliminate naturally grown competitors to pharmaceutical drugs). Even now that things are actually getting done, progress is slow, so as I said I don't think complete decriminalization is going to happen any time soon.

However we're slowly moving in that direction: first made available for medical use, then eventually decriminalized once people realize it isn't so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Without exception.

I believe that the worst drugs like methamphetamine are only used because access to cleaner, less harmful substances has been restricted so much. Drug addiction and abuse should be treated a medical issue. The threat of imprisonment isn't going to stop the people who are at risk of falling into a downward spiral from drug use, and actually imprisoning such people only alienates them from what little support they have left, making it harder for any kind of recovery to occur. Deaths from drugs that are easy to overdose on like heroin could be greatly reduced with medically supervised injection sites with sterile supplies, which could also provide support, information and better options.
    That's an awfully optimistic view.
    Quote Originally Posted by Youwishjellyfish View Post
    One of these days I'm going to punch you right in the throat.

Thread Information