StickPage Spring Animation Competition - For Glory: eSports - $5,000 in prizes, 15 placements, $1,500 first prize!
BEGINNER'S StickPage Spring Animation Competition - Unconventional Weapons - $1,000 in prizes!

Thread: The Chat Thread

  1. #151811
    Skull Enforcer Azure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    8,579
    I'm a faithful reader of the webcomic version, so I already know essentially everything that'll happen quite a bit into the future. That said, it's always nice seeing the manga version, since it's so pretty, and the anime did the entire line justice. That said, while you make a point about the joke, I won't say it's always the case, but it's the primary focus. That said, what I find interesting is that different things actually get resolved without the need for violence, another subversion on the Shounen genre that OPM likes to bring up. Hell, beating the monsters tends not to really be that important overall, so much as problems that manifest in the form of the monsters presence, or problems that result because the monsters were present (we can see things such as the questioning of the use of the Hero Association during the Deep Sea King Arc, where a valid point is presented, but the way society addresses it is poor and ungrateful, and we see the selflessness of some of the heroes, and Saitama in particular as he takes on all of the hate of people).

    Spoiler for What I've Obtained:

  2. #151812
    (ノ▽`)ノ♪♪ ☆Erma☆ Drizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    Plagiarism is bad, m'kay?
    Let the kid going through high school first.



    Regarding OPM, isn't the real question is, who the hell is Blast? My dime is for one of the known characters.
    Yo yo yo, wassup, my name is R-Dizzle-Fo-Shizzle-My-Nizzle-Off-Da-Hizzle...Drizzle and check out my "Off Da Hizzle" Youtube Channel.
    Spoiler for SE stuff:

  3. #151813
    Gears in motion Boltz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Junction #4
    Posts
    725
    Quote Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
    Let the kid going through high school first.



    Regarding OPM, isn't the real question is, who the hell is Blast? My dime is for one of the known characters.
    Yes, he's the #1 Rank in the S-class Though his powers and Abilities are unknown, he does seem like a very though foe. Some say he's Saitama's dad, others say He's Evil Saitama because the clothes he wears look identical to Saitama's.

    Spoiler for For image:
    Last edited by Boltz; 03-29-2016 at 01:20 AM.

    Spoiler for Support:

  4. #151814
    Sophisticated Perversion Not_Nish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,838
    Azure, I totally agree that the appeal of One Punch Man lies in the non-combat aspects of the story, such as the Heroes Association, the inherent prejudice towards lower class heroes, the jealousy between heroes etc. However, the fact remains that (in the anime at least) the plot still always peaks and climaxes with the combat itself, which is always predictable (but frequently in humorous ways, so no complaints there) because Saitama is a fucking boss. Thats why I don't think its turned into a single-joke premise YET but it does venture dangerously close to that territory in my opinion. I would actually like the combat to be just background noise to the infinitely more interesting concepts that the story presents.
    Spoiler for Random Charry Ownage #17:

  5. #151815
    Junior Memeber Smile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    5,343
    I think OPM, at its core (at least, after watching the anime), is a parody of superhero stories, so paying attention to the plot or hoping for a deviation in the narrative seems like wanting it to be something that it's not. Of course, towards the end of the anime they introduced potentially interesting characters (which is a baiting tactic to go and read the source, thus making it a dick move btw), which might mean that the anime (if there's a continuation, I'm not up-to-date with OPM news) will start to pay more attention towards the other aspects of being a hero other than fighting monsters (like political motivations, social pressures, economical/financial consequences, etc that surround being a hero other than the moral dilemmas that usually is the center of stories of that genre), but I think it will always boil down to Saitama just swatting the problem away literally and figuratively. As long as the story revolves around Saitama, making him feel anything other than mild inconvenience is betraying the essence of what makes it One-Punch Man.

    Which is why I just watched it for how fun it is.

  6. #151816
    Bright side of Darkness Zman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Between two Realities
    Posts
    615
    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Nish View Post
    Lol so you decided to take credit for it because you thought no one would call you out on it?
    I said I wrote it down I didn't say I made it myself lol the reason I did it was because I thought it deserved more recognition than it had so why not use it?

    Funny I actually found it on OPM abridged episode 3. It's funny because you guys are talking about OPM
    "I can draw, I can write, I can debate, but I chose to Animate"

    ~Z

  7. #151817
    Senior Member EarthquakeAnims's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    In Amurica
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark XD View Post
    i've never seen so much shiz, ... 0__0 ...oh wait...i just did :/
    anyways, i watch batm v supm, n it waz great, loved it, not as much as i loved the amazing spider man 2 but yh
    So that means it was horrible? everyone hated amazing spiderman 2

    cept for me i liked it
    VVVThe best martial artist in all the universes VVVV


    Proof that Captain Cook has a heart, somewhere deep, deep in the Middle-East:

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cook View Post
    EarthquakeAnims has his faggot moments, but he's learning to think more about what he posts, and contribute to discussions and I'm glad that he's becoming a productive member of this forum.

  8. #151818
    Sophisticated Perversion Not_Nish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    I think OPM, at its core (at least, after watching the anime), is a parody of superhero stories, so paying attention to the plot or hoping for a deviation in the narrative seems like wanting it to be something that it's not. Of course, towards the end of the anime they introduced potentially interesting characters (which is a baiting tactic to go and read the source, thus making it a dick move btw), which might mean that the anime (if there's a continuation, I'm not up-to-date with OPM news) will start to pay more attention towards the other aspects of being a hero other than fighting monsters (like political motivations, social pressures, economical/financial consequences, etc that surround being a hero other than the moral dilemmas that usually is the center of stories of that genre), but I think it will always boil down to Saitama just swatting the problem away literally and figuratively. As long as the story revolves around Saitama, making him feel anything other than mild inconvenience is betraying the essence of what makes it One-Punch Man.

    Which is why I just watched it for how fun it is.
    I agree, which is why I felt the anime could have focused on the more important elements, like the satire elements you pointed out than the combat elements. To be honest, it works much better as a satire of the superhero lifestyle rather than a satire of superhero narrative because the fights are so limited. I don't mean to make this sound like a gripe though, which is what it might come across as. Its just that the elements of the anime that focus on parodying the Superhero life and politics were SO entertaining that I wish there was more of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zman View Post
    I said I wrote it down I didn't say I made it myself
    Lol come on now. You said :

    Quote Originally Posted by Zman View Post
    I wrote my quote.
    This was in a conversation about coming up with signatures. When someone says "I wrote a book" they are not saying "I copied down text from another book and reproduced it through a process known as writing". They are saying "I came up with this book and wrote what was in my head down on paper". Thats what it generally means in conversation. When someone says "I wrote this", they are claiming authorship of it. I have never, in almost 3 decades, heard someone say "I wrote this" (in any language) when all they meant was that they simply reproduced it from somewhere else.
    Spoiler for Random Charry Ownage #17:

  9. #151819
    Bright side of Darkness Zman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Between two Realities
    Posts
    615
    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Nish View Post
    I agree, which is why I felt the anime could have focused on the more important elements, like the satire elements you pointed out than the combat elements. To be honest, it works much better as a satire of the superhero lifestyle rather than a satire of superhero narrative because the fights are so limited. I don't mean to make this sound like a gripe though, which is what it might come across as. Its just that the elements of the anime that focus on parodying the Superhero life and politics were SO entertaining that I wish there was more of it.



    Lol come on now. You said :



    This was in a conversation about coming up with signatures. When someone says "I wrote a book" they are not saying "I copied down text from another book and reproduced it through a process known as writing". They are saying "I came up with this book and wrote what was in my head down on paper". Thats what it generally means in conversation. When someone says "I wrote this", they are claiming authorship of it. I have never, in almost 3 decades, heard someone say "I wrote this" (in any language) when all they meant was that they simply reproduced it from somewhere else.
    Guess I really am unique huh? Kidding, yeah should have been more detailed in what I said. But it is from OPM abridged episode 3 (pretty sure it's the only OPM abridged to reach episode 3)

    I just wrote a research paper so I should have been more self aware of how bluntly I said it sounded like credit for myself.

    Btw finally in my new house. There are so many WALLS. It's an older home btw about 25-30 years and still in good quality.
    "I can draw, I can write, I can debate, but I chose to Animate"

    ~Z

  10. #151820
    Sophisticated Perversion Not_Nish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,838
    Whats your research paper on? Also, what do you mean so many walls? Do you mean so many rooms? Or are there are like support columns everywhere within walls?

    Edit: Also, in your signature, right after the quote it says "~Z" which is what someone puts to claim authorship over it. For example:

    "I am not a crook." ~Richard Nixon

    "I am definitely not a crook." ~Apex

    "I am a cook." ~Azure
    Last edited by Not_Nish; 03-29-2016 at 07:03 AM.
    Spoiler for Random Charry Ownage #17:

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 7 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 7 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •